Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-15-2008, 08:41 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disappointed in CTMH demos

Sorry for the vent, but I am really THANKFUL for the wonderful ladies here on SCS and 90% of them are SU demos. I myself am a CTMH demo.

A week ago, if even, I posted here and on CTMH business board asking for scrapbook page donations for Good Sam's NICU. My DS was in there for 15 long days. While sitting there holding my son, I noticed how many Mom's COULDN'T hold their new baby. And then I realized after 2 babies near us passed away...many will never walk out of there with their sweet newborn in their arms. Anyway, it gave me the idea of collecting pages to donate to the hospital that they will give to each new family. We received sooo many wonderful items in the 15 days. I figured with a scrapbook page, the new mommy and daddy could just put a picture in there, and have it already completed and ready for framing or hanging. You have a 15 x 15 board by your baby's bed to hand photo's on and such. All I asked for was for one page, either a boy or a girl...any size. I have 12 x 12 page protectors and can get any other size needed.

Here, on SCS...I received SOOO many e-mails asking for my address. People offered to donate items, make cards because they don't scrap and so many other wonderful items were offered up. I was amazed and over whelmed. I still am. In fact, I am working on a blog to showcase the pages and items I receive. You ladies are AWESOME!

I posted the same exact post on the CTMH business board and got about 900 people telling me via e-mail I need to just offer up a class and charge no less than $10 per person!! WHAT? The last thing on these parents mind is paying someone for a scrapbook class when they are going to be hit with a mega $ bill from the NICU and the very last thing I thought about was actually scrapping at that time. I wanted pictures in case the unthinkable happened, I didn't want to be in a room with people telling me how to make pages. I was also told by more than one person that I shouldn't even have had the nerve to post asking for donations.

Am I wrong for being upset at this? Is this the kind of people that work for CTMH? Maybe I really do need to go back to SU. I was a demo with them in years past, but since it's so well known, I decided to switch to CTMH, but so far, I am NOT impressed with them...and the attitude of these demos.

Anyway, I want to take a moment to thank all of you who have sent e-mails and donations thus far. You have gone above and beyond and I am so grateful...and I know the parents will be as well. All items will be donated the day of every month.

Thanks you SCS ladies!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2008, 08:50 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftyincincyView Post
Sorry for the vent, but I am really THANKFUL for the wonderful ladies here on SCS and 90% of them are SU demos. I myself am a CTMH demo.

A week ago, if even, I posted here and on CTMH business board asking for scrapbook page donations for Good Sam's NICU. My DS was in there for 15 long days. While sitting there holding my son, I noticed how many Mom's COULDN'T hold their new baby. And then I realized after 2 babies near us passed away...many will never walk out of there with their sweet newborn in their arms. Anyway, it gave me the idea of collecting pages to donate to the hospital that they will give to each new family. We received sooo many wonderful items in the 15 days. I figured with a scrapbook page, the new mommy and daddy could just put a picture in there, and have it already completed and ready for framing or hanging. You have a 15 x 15 board by your baby's bed to hand photo's on and such. All I asked for was for one page, either a boy or a girl...any size. I have 12 x 12 page protectors and can get any other size needed.

Here, on SCS...I received SOOO many e-mails asking for my address. People offered to donate items, make cards because they don't scrap and so many other wonderful items were offered up. I was amazed and over whelmed. I still am. In fact, I am working on a blog to showcase the pages and items I receive. You ladies are AWESOME!

I posted the same exact post on the CTMH business board and got about 900 people telling me via e-mail I need to just offer up a class and charge no less than $10 per person!! WHAT? The last thing on these parents mind is paying someone for a scrapbook class when they are going to be hit with a mega $ bill from the NICU and the very last thing I thought about was actually scrapping at that time. I wanted pictures in case the unthinkable happened, I didn't want to be in a room with people telling me how to make pages. I was also told by more than one person that I shouldn't even have had the nerve to post asking for donations.

Am I wrong for being upset at this? Is this the kind of people that work for CTMH? Maybe I really do need to go back to SU. I was a demo with them in years past, but since it's so well known, I decided to switch to CTMH, but so far, I am NOT impressed with them...and the attitude of these demos.

Anyway, I want to take a moment to thank all of you who have sent e-mails and donations thus far. You have gone above and beyond and I am so grateful...and I know the parents will be as well. All items will be donated the day of every month.

Thanks you SCS ladies!!!
I am sorry you had that experience with people. I doubt you can write off the whole company of demos from one experience, although admitidly I dont personally know anyCTMH demos. In any event, let's move on to your idea, which btw I think is wonderful. Why not hostess some swaps to get pages for your project. I am doing that and have also had many offers of donated pages as well. I would be happy to donate some pages or swap. PM some info to me and I will happily help out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2008, 08:59 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Crafty in Cincy
Well, now you know why I became a SU demo (in 1996) instead of D.O.T.S. (CTMH). I went to a party of both companies. The 1st was DOTS and I was NOT impressed. The hostess got a booking stamp. That was it, and whatever their catty gave her. My friend and I just looked at each other. THis was the TOP demo for them in the area. Then we went to a SU workshop. OH MY GOSH! Every card she demoed, she gave to the hostess, plus a booking stamp. I was so impressed I signed up within the month. The company and demonstrators are/were so generous. I was with SU for 5 years and am now one of their best customers. It's that FIRST impression that can "sell" the company. It did to me.
This is JMO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2008, 09:03 AM   #4  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. I'm stunned. I think most of the people here on SCS are NOT demos and are much less likely to see things from a business point of view, especially outside the Demo Only Forum. Perhaps the forum at CTMH is mostly demos who are looking for a community to support their business interests rather than a social group. I don't know, but that's what it sounds like from your experience.

I certainly think it's appropriate to ask for these sorts of donations here...lots of people do. And I'm not surprised at all that the SCS community stepped up to the plate for your cause. It's that "how can I help?" spirit that makes this such a wonderful place to spend (too many!) hours every day!

Blessings to you for seeing a need and filling it, and to all who have helped you bring some support to people at a very stressful time. If I were you, I'd try to just take the reward from that and let the rest go.... ((((hugs)))))
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2008, 09:27 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Hey...I lost my post. I'll try again! LOL!

Thank you all for letting me vent. And for your support!

Karie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2008, 09:38 AM   #6  
Crimping Master

I'm sure there are wonderful CTMHers as well, just not on that board! You're 100% in the right, who wants to pay for a class at a time like that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2008, 09:44 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawndregerView Post
I'm sure there are wonderful CTMHers as well, just not on that board! You're 100% in the right, who wants to pay for a class at a time like that!
Yes there are some, but it seems they are the ones who are hard to find. LOL! I think the majority of CTMH demos I met were on here, not the CTMH board. I certainly don't want to put ALL CTMH demos into the "bad" category. I literally just counted my e-mails from the CTMH board...48. Not one of them had any suggestions other than to charge $ and hold a class. :confused: Just makes me sad.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2008, 10:26 AM   #8  
Compulsive Stamper

I tried to find your post on the CTMH board, but I don't know your real name and there are a ton of posts to sift through. I just wanted to see if your post sounded like you were asking for help as in receiving pages, or asking for help on how to help the parents make their own. Maybe something didn't come across the way you intended.

I have been a consultant for 13 years. I am actually kind of offended by this post because I have seen the most amazing acts of generousity over the years. I live in an area that was devastated by fires. I had one whole hostess club where each and every person either lost their home or a portion of their property (garages, etc.) When the news of the fires hit, consultants from across the country contacted me and offered support and supplies!!!!

I have seen many many posts where people have requested donations of cards/layouts/supplies and I have seen many thank you posts where the consultant expressed how overwhelmed she was by the generousity of her sister consultants!!!!

Another poster on here said she went to a party and the hostess only got a thank you stamp. Each consultant can run their business as they see fit, but I can tell you that I am a member of a HUGE team and from the day I started, it has always been the practice to give the hostess a little gift, and all of the items that are demo'd at her party as well as hostess gifts. I imagine there are definately consultants who don't do it that way, but it is not a company policy.

Having said all that, I will admit that I wouldn't have been able to send you anything, even if I had seen your post. Does that make me a horrible person? No! There are a million causes out there. I give generously when I can and I tend to donate to people in my local area. If I had additional resources available and no local needs, then I would absolutely send some stuff somewhere else!!!!!

To receive 48 emails (what about responses on the boards??) and absolutely no one offered any pages, really makes me think that they misinterpreted your request. Perhaps since you posted on the business board they thought you were requesting help for your business. The gathering board is set-up to be a better place for requests like yours.

Good Luck with your project. I hope that you bring great peace and comfort to those you are trying to support/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2008, 11:26 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

WOW!!! :confused:

That's about all I can think of to say.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2008, 12:52 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm sorry you didn't get a good response on the CTMH BB. I think if you're posting on the business board that's what people are there to read about and may have misunderstood and thought you were looking for business suggestions for this particular situation. I think you'd probably have gotten a better response on the Gathering Place board?

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2008, 01:02 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm so sorry you've had a bad experience. I just have to say that I'm a NICU nurse and I think what you are doing is fantastic! Parents are not in the frame of mind to do things themselves. This is one of the most stressful things a parent can go through. You hit it right on by wanting something they can just have to put a picture in. I would have been upset by those responses as well. Maybe they just didn't quite understand what you were needing. Good luck with your donations! I'm sure those parents will appreciate it SO much!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2008, 01:03 PM   #12  
Forum Fanatic

I don't know if you can chalk it up to the entire company, I mean there are SU demos that are all business and don't reach out this way too.

I give credit to SCS - I have gotten WAY WAY WAAAAAAAAAAY more support from the wonderful people on this site than I ever have from my upline or SU directly. Also, the creators have fostered an environment of generosity, so newbies see members and companies helping out with donations, words of encouragement and support, sympathy and empathy, sales and discounts, and that positive sentiment is cultured and grows exponentially. Good deed doing can be contagious!

Does that make sense?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2008, 04:39 PM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stamptildawn1View Post
I tried to find your post on the CTMH board, but I don't know your real name and there are a ton of posts to sift through. I just wanted to see if your post sounded like you were asking for help as in receiving pages, or asking for help on how to help the parents make their own. Maybe something didn't come across the way you intended.

I have been a consultant for 13 years. I am actually kind of offended by this post because I have seen the most amazing acts of generousity over the years. I live in an area that was devastated by fires. I had one whole hostess club where each and every person either lost their home or a portion of their property (garages, etc.) When the news of the fires hit, consultants from across the country contacted me and offered support and supplies!!!!

I have seen many many posts where people have requested donations of cards/layouts/supplies and I have seen many thank you posts where the consultant expressed how overwhelmed she was by the generousity of her sister consultants!!!!

Another poster on here said she went to a party and the hostess only got a thank you stamp. Each consultant can run their business as they see fit, but I can tell you that I am a member of a HUGE team and from the day I started, it has always been the practice to give the hostess a little gift, and all of the items that are demo'd at her party as well as hostess gifts. I imagine there are definately consultants who don't do it that way, but it is not a company policy.

Having said all that, I will admit that I wouldn't have been able to send you anything, even if I had seen your post. Does that make me a horrible person? No! There are a million causes out there. I give generously when I can and I tend to donate to people in my local area. If I had additional resources available and no local needs, then I would absolutely send some stuff somewhere else!!!!!

To receive 48 emails (what about responses on the boards??) and absolutely no one offered any pages, really makes me think that they misinterpreted your request. Perhaps since you posted on the business board they thought you were requesting help for your business. The gathering board is set-up to be a better place for requests like yours.

Good Luck with your project. I hope that you bring great peace and comfort to those you are trying to support/

The title of the post is Scrap Donation and I can't find it either. I'm still new to figuring out that board so I don't know if you can search for it or not. I was trying to copy and paste it here.

I'm sorry you are offended. Like I said, not all demos are bad demos...I'm just shocked at the response by the 48 people who sent me an e-mail. One person responded to the thread at my last check...she is the only person to offer anything.

No...not donating DOES NOT make you a bad person. That is not at all what I am saying. Please don't take it that way. I'm saying I am shocked that every person with the exception of ONE who responded told me how to charge $. Not donating is 100% fine. There are a lot of charities I don't donate to.

I'm sorry you were offended and if you were one of the people to respond to my post via e-mail, then I'm sorry too, but I'm just shocked.

Last edited by Craftyincincy; 08-15-2008 at 04:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2008, 04:45 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Here it is. Here is my original post on CTMH...it is in THE GATERING PLACE, not the business board. I call the whole chat room the business board. Hey...I'm still learning. I did remove any names to protect privacy.

I'm not sure if I am allowed to post this hear, so forgive me if I shouldn't.

I am taking donations of scrapbook pages to the Good Samaritan NICU here in Cincinnati. I started this last month by myself and made 10 pages. I realized as soon as I left that I needed WAY more than that. You see, my son, Dominic, was there for 15 days. We received so many wonderful gifts from volunteers and other organizations and DH and I said we would love to be able to "give back" as well. I thought it was a good idea to make a scrapbook page to give to the parents so they can just put in a picture and have a beautiful page to display it on. So often, parents don't get to leave the hospital with their baby, so many may never hold, kiss, touch or watch their baby grow up. Giving these parents who are already so stress a page would mean the world to them. They don't have time to scrap and just one page is something they can keep forever and even frame later on if they decide to. I have plenty of 12 x 12 page protectors, but I was wondering if you would be interested in making a page. I don't care what size page, or what you put on it. Just something (boy or girl) for each parent to have.

You can e-mail me at ****DELETED**** for my address if you are interested.

Thanks so much!
****DELETED****

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~~Mommy to 4 wonderful brats! Hailee 10, Hanna 7, Joey 4 & Dominic 3 months!

****RESPONSE FROM THE ONLY PERSON ON THE BOARD*** (She offered to donate some material...so she is the exception...like I said, only one person)

Total Posts: 54

Re: Scrapbook page Donation?
Posted: 08-12-2008 03:02 PM
When my daughter was at UAB they had a scrapbook class offered in evenings thru march Of dimes, it allowed the moms 2b a chance to get out of rooms, why not offer to do a little that way, you might generate a order or 2, you could donate a few supplies to get it started... send me for address and I can send you some stuff I have, my MIL passed away and I have been clearing out her stuff (its not CTMH but ok to donate if you like)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2008, 09:12 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

I read your post the other day on the Gathering Board. I understood what you were asking for. And I did think about whether I could help you out. But I didn't respond primarily for 2 reasons. The first being the cost of postage. The second being that I just don't have the time this week to a) sort through the huge stack of premade layouts that I could easily send or b) to make a page or two that might be more appropriate. 12x12 pages just aren't that easy to mail.

I am a little surprised that you didn't get more favorable response. But I am also a little offended that you came over here and essentially bashed all CTMH demos (even if that wasn't your intention).

Going back to your original post - the only thing that I can maybe call out is that you ask for people to make a page or two. You may have gotten more of the response you wanted if you had asked for extra swap pages, premade layouts that we had laying around. And the response you did get could have thrown some people off since she suggested offering a scrapbook class.

Now that things seem to be calming down (ie: clearance sale, convention, etc.) over there, bump your post back up on Monday morning and re-ask for donations of premade pages. See if you get a better response.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 04:15 AM   #16  
Glitter Guru

I can totally understand why you are disappointed with your success (or lack there of) in getting donations from your CTMH message board. Your feelings were probably hurt more than someone else's would have been due to your emotional involvement in the cause and the feeling as if "your own" organization was not supporting you. I totally get what you are saying.

I don't feel like you were bashing CTMH at all! You needed to vent, share your feelings, and thank the ladies here who supported you.

I am so glad you have had some wonderful donations and I hope you receive many more. This is a fabulous service you are supplying to those who really need a lift and something to hang on to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 04:17 AM   #17  
Embossing Fanatic

My CTMH demo is wonderful. She's gone over and above the call of duty on more times than I can count. I'm sorry for your experience, but like others have said, I don't think you can write off all of CTMH because of it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 04:19 AM   #18  
Stampin' Fool

Pre made pages aren't going to work if they aren't for premie babies. These pages have to be for the specific, don't you think. Also, used to be a CTMH consultant. This was one of the reasons I left. I feel for you OP. Hope you can continue your mission of mercy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 04:49 AM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by MomofonesonView Post
Pre made pages aren't going to work if they aren't for premie babies. These pages have to be for the specific, don't you think. Also, used to be a CTMH consultant. This was one of the reasons I left. I feel for you OP. Hope you can continue your mission of mercy.
I would think there are a lot of 'generic' pages created that could work. Many times I do pages just to experiment with color and layout but do not include sentiment or title until I am ready to use them. I know when I go to a SU party, the layouts are very generic to be used in almost any theme later.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 05:03 AM   #20  
Kookie Creator

I love SCS for this very reason. The moderators here are fantastic at keeping the mood of the site to be a fun, informative and caring site. The members are by far the best for being willing to share ideas, knowlege and experiences. They are also the best at helping newbies and encouraging them.

That's why SCS has become so huge. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that the new owners recognize the uniqueness of this site and are supportive of those who keep it running and are able to keep it that way. I've read a lot of other forums and sites and this one is far and above the rest.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 06:54 AM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

Wow! That is awful! I work in a children's hospital with a large NICU. A couple times a month a scrapbooking night is offered for these parents with all supplies provided (I think the local Junior League sponsers this and runs it, but I'm not sure).
Quote:

Thanks you SCS ladies!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 07:01 AM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I'm glad you saw a need and tried to fill it.

My first pregnancy was triplets and they were born at 25 weeks. I only brought one home with me (after almost a 3 month NICU stay). My daughters died at 2 days and 15 days of age.

A few years later I read about "Make a Difference Day". It's a date in October where people all over the country try to do something to make a difference. I decided to create memorial albums for the NICU. I wrote to all the major companies and got donations. Then myself and one other volunteer (who heard about my effort via the newspaper) made about 20 5x7 albums. We donated them all to the NICU.

Then I had an opportunity (as a CTMH demo) to talk at an Infant Loss group. I didn't try to sell anything. We didn't make anything. I took my album to show them. And we discussed things (other than pictures which many NICU parents don't have many of) that could be put into the memorial album.

Both were equally fulfilling. One "doing the fishing" and one "teaching them how to fish for themselves".

But I agree...charging for something during or right after the NICU stay is wrong. Maybe an offer to help someone get started one on one would be appropriate. Because it IS healing for them to do it themselves (trust me on that one).

Jane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 07:27 AM   #23  
Stampin' Fool

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default i am really appalled by your response

i think you made it perfectly clear what you were asking for. it didn't seem at all that you were bashing anyone who did not donate (cuz really, we all know we can't donate to every single cause). i'm surprised it was interpreted that way. and while you also made it clear that you knew not all ctmh demos were like this, the fact that 48 people (!) responded to hold a class for parents in the nicu leaves a pretty bad taste in my mouth!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 11:03 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hugs to you for trying this in the first place! I love to read when people think of ways to help other people in need.

I do agree, though, that the higher response here was more because of the SCS mentality, kwim? It's a long-standing community, with a long history of giving. I don't know that I see that as being related to SU, aside from the fact that this board sprang up via SU. But we are FULL of people with loads of different affiliations, so the common denominator is compassion, I think.

This is not to say that I don't think SU demos are swell, lol...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 01:15 PM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

Thank you ladies!!! Thank you for all of your advice, stories, suggestions and PM's. Thank you too for your support! I received a lot of wonderful advice on how to take this even further so the wheels are spinning now! :p LOOK OUT! LOL!

I honestly believe stampers have the biggest hearts out there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 01:18 PM   #26  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Thank you ladies!!! Thank you for all of your advice, stories, suggestions and PM's. Thank you too for your support! I received a lot of wonderful advice on how to take this even further so the wheels are spinning now! :p LOOK OUT! LOL!

I honestly believe stampers have the biggest hearts out there!
Keep us posted what you go with. If a swap or project, many of us may wish to be involved.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2008, 10:53 PM   #27  
Glitter Queen

I am glad that I am not the only one offended by the original post. Not anywhere was it mentioned this post that was made to the CTMH BB was made on AUGUST 12 - not a week ago as mention but only a few days.

I am mainly offended at that part of your whole post becuase you have lead alot of individuals to believe that your post went un-noticed for a long period of time ... which is completely untrue - shame on you for doing that. Not to mention that several consultants have posted questions to your request - and not one reply from you?? why is that?

Examples:
"Wow what a great idea you have here. I wish I could help at this time but I am new and do not have any thing that I would feel would make a suitable page for someone with a newborn. Maybe if you could show us a sample of what type of page you are looking for we could come up with something"

"Do you want single or double page layouts? where do we send them? I am making a few right now"

Second, not everyone lives their lives moment to moment on the BB to come across your post and address it. I personally have not had the opportunity to come across your post until I read your post tonight -- I had a death in my family and the last thing I wanted to do was look for others asking for donations!! Does that make me a horrible person - absolutely NOT!! I am struggling to get started with my business, put layouts together so that I can show potential customers - let alone no time to sit and do layouts for my own two children .... HOW do I even think of having time to donate pages? Selfish - of course - my family comes first - just like all of your families come first also.

I had a pregnancy end at 6 months, I've had my son in hospital TWICE already and he is only 9.5 months -- both times to save his life. I saw many many children that were very sick and some that were even dying around me ... I found a way to help the hospital and the children in MY OWN way -- I donated 10 -- yes, TEN black garbage bags of almost brand new clothing from my daughter's and son's closets .... I couldn't donate money, I couldn't donate pages - but I could donated outgrown clothing ... so for me, I have done what I can to help MY local hospital -- and I still continue to do so every few months ....

I totally understand YOUR need to help and support the community that helped you in your time of need ... find a way to do that YOUR own way ... don't rely on "others" to fullfil your "obligation" .... to put it nicely.

I am sicken that you would say anything negative about your "ctmh sisters" - maybe we as a group aren't what fits your style and maybe you should consider going back to SU ... consultants like you truely don't belong with us ...

Last edited by qtgrk; 08-17-2008 at 11:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2008, 12:01 AM   #28  
Compulsive Stamper

What a wonderful idea to create pages for these sweet families and ask others both here on SCS and CTMH to pitch in and help out.

I have been involved with papercrafting for going on 16 years now. I love stamping and refuse to quit but I have witnessed some of the most terrible business behavior from both sets of demos SU and CTMH. Tears, tantrums, ect.. My close friends have all stopped stamping because of it.

I really wish that these gals would become more aware that the topics they choose to discuss and that their behavior has an affect on how we the customer feel about THEIR company. I recently visited a blog to see how a technique was created and while trying to find it I read through some of the daily posts. They were not nice or what I would consider to be business like. I just think they tend to forget that especially over the internet they are "the company" that they represent.

I wish you the best of luck with your project and please let us know how we can further help you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2008, 03:07 AM   #29  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by qtgrkView Post

I am sicken that you would say anything negative about your "ctmh sisters" - maybe we as a group aren't what fits your style and maybe you should consider going back to SU ... consultants like you truely don't belong with us ...
Wow...normally I would not comment, but I am just wondering...do you think negatively of SU demos?

It sure comes across as such (to me, anyway) in your choice of words here..."consultants like you...[belong with SU]" is how I interpreted it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2008, 04:24 AM   #30  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateBlossomView Post
Wow. I'm stunned. I think most of the people here on SCS are NOT demos and are much less likely to see things from a business point of view, especially outside the Demo Only Forum. Perhaps the forum at CTMH is mostly demos who are looking for a community to support their business interests rather than a social group. I don't know, but that's what it sounds like from your experience.
I would think that donating to such a cause would be beneficial for a business. One day these parents will be past this time in their lives. They may want to scap more memories of the precious one lost. They may also go home with their little one and be even more excited to scrap memories of the one they almost lost. When this time comes, they will think of the company that reached out to them in their time of need, to offer some sort of comfort during the trial. Since most paper crafters, especially demos, "sign" thier items with the "angel policy" stamp and signiture, it will not be hard for these people to seek out the actual creator of the donated page, or at least the same company. Also, when donating something like this, it would not seem strange to include a "thinking/praying for you" card to go with it which will also have the stamp/signiture on the back.

But, then again, I am not a very good business person. I actually make a lousy business person :rolleyes: , I think it's because I can not look at things from purely a business perspective. I always add the human element into it, meaning, I put the persons situation (financial or otherwise) first. Selling is far from my main objective. SU's Statement of the Heart is:

"To love what we do and share what we love, as we help other's enjoy creativity and worthwhile accomplishments, in this we make a difference!"

I don't hear alot of hard core business tactics in this statment! The business comes from the sharing...and in sharing we draw others to that which we love. It sounds to me like this is the very type of situation were we can share with and make a difference to those families who truely need encouragement and uplifting. It reminds me of a little quote I once heard: "you may not remember with whom you have laughed, but you will never forget with whom you have cried".
Sandy O
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2008, 04:36 AM   #31  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Second, not everyone lives their lives moment to moment on the BB to come across your post and address it. I personally have not had the opportunity to come across your post until I read your post tonight -- I had a death in my family and the last thing I wanted to do was look for others asking for donations!! Does that make me a horrible person - absolutely NOT!! I am struggling to get started with my business, put layouts together so that I can show potential customers - let alone no time to sit and do layouts for my own two children .... HOW do I even think of having time to donate pages? Selfish - of course - my family comes first - just like all of your families come first also.

I had a pregnancy end at 6 months, I've had my son in hospital TWICE already and he is only 9.5 months -- both times to save his life. I saw many many children that were very sick and some that were even dying around me ... I found a way to help the hospital and the children in MY OWN way -- I donated 10 -- yes, TEN black garbage bags of almost brand new clothing from my daughter's and son's closets .... I couldn't donate money, I couldn't donate pages - but I could donated outgrown clothing ... so for me, I have done what I can to help MY local hospital -- and I still continue to do so every few months ....

I totally understand YOUR need to help and support the community that helped you in your time of need ... find a way to do that YOUR own way ... don't rely on "others" to fullfil your "obligation" .... to put it nicely.

YIKES!!! :shock: I had not read the whole thread when I made my last post but did go back to read it. The only response this deserves it a purely shocked :shock: WOW!!!

And and I would like to add...if you could not tell from my last post:
I really LOVE SU!!!:p I think that the OP sounds like the type of person who just may belong with us! ;)
Sandy O
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2008, 04:41 AM   #32  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

I think you are being a bit venomous.

I think your donating clothing was wonderful. Sorry to hear that your son has been sick and you have had a death in the family.

I know this young woman and she has a heart that is huge and would give the shirt off of her back to anyone who would need it. If you would ask her for a donation she would do what she could to give it to you, not tell you how to charge money for it. I think that is why she was upset.

I do find it offensive that you "assume" that the OP did not contact people with questions or that SU demos are "not caring" or that because she came to SCS she does not belong with CTMH? This is not a "company" board. It is seen by lots of stampers and scrappers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2008, 04:49 AM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

Wowzer.

The original idea behind this thread is a wonderful thought. Giving of layouts to other parent is a GREAT idea! I think you have certainly found a nitch that you are comfortable to fill. And I agree, SCS is a wonderful place to come and share and receive. I love this community!

However, the bashing of consultants/demos is way out there. <shakes head sadly> Companies are of course made up of people... and people make mistakes.

I wish you well in your adventures. God Bless your family and your endevers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2008, 05:08 AM   #34  
Gabfest Goddess

Wink

Quote:

Originally Posted by fastmommieView Post
Wowzer.

The original idea behind this thread is a wonderful thought. Giving of layouts to other parent is a GREAT idea! I think you have certainly found a nitch that you are comfortable to fill. And I agree, SCS is a wonderful place to come and share and receive. I love this community!

However, the bashing of consultants/demos is way out there. <shakes head sadly> Companies are of course made up of people... and people make mistakes.

I wish you well in your adventures. God Bless your family and your endevers.
I agree. I don't think the OP's intention was to get everyone all "fired up". I think she was a little upset that she didn't get the intended response.
I, as many others have said, think that the CTMH demos. may have misunderstood or maybe were even too busy to help at this time.

I don't think her intention was to "bash" her "sisters".

I think what she is trying to do is just AWESOME. That she would take the time to try to collect things for people that are just surviving day to day until their child is well again.
Good Luck to you...I do not make scrapbook pages, but I am a SU! demo. so if you need supplies, I would be happy to donate! (Just pm me.)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2008, 05:36 AM   #35  
Crimping Master

Quote:

I am glad that I am not the only one offended by the original post. Not anywhere was it mentioned this post that was made to the CTMH BB was made on AUGUST 12 - not a week ago as mention but only a few days.

I am mainly offended at that part of your whole post becuase you have lead alot of individuals to believe that your post went un-noticed for a long period of time
I read the original post to say
Quote:

A week ago, if even,
and I also did not read where she put in anything about no one responding to her post for several days.

To the OP - I hope you are able to get several pages, no matter the source, to donate to the Children's Hospital.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2008, 06:03 AM   #36  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

I am mainly offended at that part of your whole post becuase you have lead alot of individuals to believe that your post went un-noticed for a long period of time

Second, not everyone lives their lives moment to moment on the BB to come across your post and address it.

I felt the need to comment on the above highlighted posts...

1st- Wow...I didn't think the OP made it seem as though it had been unnoticed for a long time-if she did-I missed that. I just saw frustration from her at a time when she was trying to do something good for so many.

The second comment was just mean and uncalled for honestly. It seems maybe you are going through a rough time and your emotions are raw. Don't take them out on people here-find a positive outlet and try to heal. I feel for your present situation and hope things get better for you.

Kudos for you for giving back to the hospital-everyone has great ideas and different ways to carry them out. It would be like me saying, "If you would have asked a dozen people to do that look how much more clothing they would have". I would never begrudge your efforts, so don't begrudge others ideas.

As a SU! demo, I don't really think you were criticizing SU! as mentioned in another post. I think you were referring to the comment she made about going back to SU!. However, it still was not very nice. I am trying to keep in mind that you are going through a difficult time but please remember the golden rule...if all of us would (me inluded!) all of the time-life would much happier, don't you think?

To the OP...good luck with your goals. Please PM me if you are looking for pages only or general supplies as well. I was thinking maybe you could offer a make-and-no take for people to donate the completed pages during a weekend or something (good project for Make a Difference Day). Let me know if I can help. Thanks!

Last edited by stampinandscrappin; 08-18-2008 at 06:04 AM.. Reason: I couldn't get the colors to appear correctly when highlighting...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2008, 08:30 AM   #37  
Glitter Queen

Let me clarify - I have nothing against SU demos -- I have a few close friends that are SU demos and I also do buy SU products .... the only reason why I wrote that is because she mentioned that she used to be SU and that she was considering going back -- I basically agreed with her - there is no need for her to remain a CTMH demo if she feels like this:

"Is this the kind of people that work for CTMH? Maybe I really do need to go back to SU. I was a demo with them in years past, but since it's so well known, I decided to switch to CTMH, but so far, I am NOT impressed with them...and the attitude of these demos."

I have been with CTMH for over 6 months now and I have found the consultants to be absolutely wondering and caring!!! To come across a post like this 'disrespecting a community of wonderful caring women' sickened me.

One has to realize that SCS is a huge community of various people - demos and non demos -- maybe our CTMH bb isn't as big as SCS so I can understand the huge response on here than on CTMH bb ... that is still no reason to post what she did .....

Take it as you'd like ... I personally do not want to associate myself with someone that would 'stab her sisters in the back' -- all because she didn't get the response she was looking for!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2008, 08:47 AM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

Let's all take a deep breath here and leave the biting comments out, okay?

To the OP, I'm glad you're having a good response to your request here. As a mom of two 29-weekers who were in the NICU for months, it's especially heartwarming to see you putting this together. I wish you continued success!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2008, 09:05 AM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbalcerView Post
Let's all take a deep breath here and leave the biting comments out, okay?

To the OP, I'm glad you're having a good response to your request here. As a mom of two 29-weekers who were in the NICU for months, it's especially heartwarming to see you putting this together. I wish you continued success!
Thanks for stepping in with the friendly reminder to play nice, Jenn!

To the OP, this is a fabulous idea you've had. A few years ago I was really involved with a local crochet/knitting charity that donated layettes to area NICUs for the little angels who were stillborn or just born too soon, and for some time now I've been struggling to come up with a similar idea that incorporated my love of stamping. Donating scrapbook pages is a fabulous idea, and I'm thinking a free scrapbooking class could be really therapeutic as well. Would you mind sending me a PM when you get the chance with the details of your project? Thanks so much!

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2008, 03:20 PM   #40  
Matboard Maniac

As a NICU nurse, thank you for your efforts for the families. Locally, we do have the March of Dimes sponser a scrapbooking hour once a week. This may also be an avenue to look into to help the parents preserve the memories of their tiny ones. This way, the parents get a break, get to talk to other parents, and get to make something for their little one.

Good luck with your efforts!!
Reply With Quote Likes