Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-15-2008, 03:06 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I hate living in the boonies sometimes...

today went to a city, 1 hrs drive to do some back to school shopping for the kids. I was excited to hit some stamping stores. One being Michaels, one the memory... something, one a small mom and pop type place. NO ONE had what I wanted, House Mouse, Nesties, Liquid Pearls, stickles.. Only one had bug stuff.

Looks like I'll have to wait until October when I can get to Wausau where there is a JoAnns and hopefully they will have that. I know some of you have mentioned Hobby lobby, none around here.

URGH, I know I didn't spend near as much money as I had planned to day but I also dont have any new toys.. Oh well, kids are set.

thanks for the vent.

j
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2008, 03:14 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Hey, it's not just boonies areas that are lacking in crafting stores. I'm 20 minutes outside Philadelphia, and I have no more choices than you--unless you count the JoAnn Superstore 25 minutes away.

I feel your pain. Have you tried online shopping? Or looked in to stamping or CK shows in your area?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2008, 03:21 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

I wanted to see, touch them.... get them NOW!!! I also hate paying shipping.. have to wait until Overstock or Joanns has free shipping I guess
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2008, 03:38 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by tryinmybestView Post
I wanted to see, touch them.... get them NOW!!! I also hate paying shipping.. have to wait until Overstock or Joanns has free shipping I guess
Oh, I hear ya, I'm a "touchy feely" crafter too. I haven't totally warmed up to online shopping, especially for fabrics.

I've come around to the shipping=driving thing, so anything outside a 20 mile radius it's OK to have shipped in

Have you checked out frugalities.com? They at least usually have a few Stickles in stock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2008, 03:40 PM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

That happens to me all the time to - you drive all the way (45 mintues for me) to the bigger stores, and they don't have what you want. One time, I drove all the way to Ocala (my 'big city') in the dang gum POURING rain, because I desperately needed a bat stamp. Now how hard do you think that would be to find? I went to Hobby Lobby, then to Joanne's and nothing. Went to Michaels, and while they still didn't have exactly what I wanted, I did get a few things, but when I got up to the register, she said I could only pay with cash because their computers were down! Ha, ha, ha - Well, I didn't get anything that day! All the driving in the rain for nothing. And I STILL don't have a bat stamp!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2008, 04:05 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

I live 15 minutes away from a Joanns and a Michaels. They never have good stuff. I have to order online if I want anything trendy or a good selection.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2008, 04:28 PM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do most of my shopping on line now. I still look for deals on shipping, although shipping doesn't seem so bad now that gas prices are through the roof!
All That Scraps has free shipping on orders over $25.00, which is easy to achieve! They have a good selection, too.

http://www.allthatscraps.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2008, 05:31 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

I feel your pain! Now there are alot of sites that want you to have paypal! How bad is that! I wanted to order 2 sets from sweet& Sassy and they wanted me to use paypal account, DH said no way. Can't even get through to them with e-mail and there is no phone number. I also live i hr. away from stamp stores.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2008, 05:36 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Feel your pain ... I have a 3 hour drive to San Antonio for the nearest craft store. Most of my ordering is online or SU, CTMH, or TAC.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2008, 05:45 PM   #10  
Mad Swapper

I used to live in a very small town. The population was around 500. It was 15 miles just to the grocery store and 1 hour to anything else. The worse part is it didn't matter which direction we went it was 1 hour. Happy to be back in the city where if you forgot something at the store it's no big deal to go back and get it. I miss the small town life though. When I was there I really loved my SU! catty it was the only thing I would order and have shipped. I just don't like waiting for my stuff. Sorry about your frustration, but just remember that there are advantages of small town living.

"Kindness is something the the blind can see and the deaf can hear" -unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2008, 06:28 PM   #11  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I do 95% of my shopping online.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2008, 06:52 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

i haven't seen stickles, liquid pearls, or nesties in any store... i found house mouse at hobby lobby, which doesn't help you. scribbles the fabric paint company makes an iridescent line of 3d paints which are just like liquid pearls. it's acrylic paint, so safe for your projects. hope that helps.

also, walmart has a few colors of stickles-like glitter glue. big bottles for really cheap. i would suggest grabbing the one that looks a lot like stardust by stickles. the bottle is about 2 bucks with about 5 times the amount of glitter glue in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2008, 07:02 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgrabeView Post
I feel your pain! Now there are alot of sites that want you to have paypal! How bad is that! I wanted to order 2 sets from sweet& Sassy and they wanted me to use paypal account, DH said no way. Can't even get through to them with e-mail and there is no phone number. I also live i hr. away from stamp stores.
I'm not understanding why someone wouldn't use PayPal. I even use PayPal to generate "disposable" credit card numbers for me so I don't have to expose my visa or mastercard to online sites. Paypal generates a one time use number, and then they remit the charge to my "real" credit card. I consider PayPal one more layer of protection for online shopping. Speaking of which, I agree with the other poster that said shipping costs were becoming quite competitive with gas prices and the hassle of not finding what you want. No matter what it is I'm looking for I can always find it online. That is not always the case if I decide to drive to Joanns then to Michaels then to Pat Catans....... etc.

Just my 2cents, but when it comes to crafting supplies online and PayPal are the way to go.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2008, 07:12 PM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Just wondering if you were talking about Sassy & Sweet Notes...Anna Wight? She is the most honorably person ever...she always answers my emails and I can order from her on Sat. and my stuff is here on Monday...she is in Texas and I'm in Ga. There is nothing wrong with paypal.....my husband has an online business and that's all he excepts......I order almost everything online to keep from using gas these days!!! Its always here in about 3 days at the most...and the time I would have spent in the car wasting gas...I can be home stampin!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2008, 08:36 PM   #15  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanne SView Post
I do 95% of my shopping online.
I do a great deal of shopping online as well, as I'm a good distance from large stores. But, every now and then I've just GOT to get out of the house -- interact with people. ;)
Illustrator: Whipper Snapper Designs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2008, 08:41 PM   #16  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by parrotheadView Post
Just wondering if you were talking about Sassy & Sweet Notes...Anna Wight? She is the most honorably person ever...she always answers my emails and I can order from her on Sat. and my stuff is here on Monday...she is in Texas and I'm in Ga. There is nothing wrong with paypal.....my husband has an online business and that's all he excepts......I order almost everything online to keep from using gas these days!!! Its always here in about 3 days at the most...and the time I would have spent in the car wasting gas...I can be home stampin!!!!
Hopefully the poster it's not referring to me *grin*, but if you are please PM me - I can help you, for sure! I'm thinking that if you're not referring to me, maybe you mean the stamp co Sweet & Sassy Stamps?

I've used "Sassy & Sweet Notes" for my paper crafts for years, and as my blog title since I started my blog a couple of years ago, but there's a new stamp company "Sweet & Sassy Stamps" -- and that is NOT me.
Illustrator: Whipper Snapper Designs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2008, 08:51 PM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

The internet is my best friend. As an Army family that was stationed at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri for 7 years and the closest real craft stores away in Springfield ~ a good 80+ mile drive and to the east St. Louis at 130+ miles.. I learned to find things online.. if you look around you can usually find some great deals on things with free shipping.. always love a bargain! Pam

--English writer G. K. Chesterton (1874-1936)

~*BLOG*~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 12:29 AM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

I feel for ya!

I'm 2 hours away (up and over the mountains and to the other side of Glacier Park!) from the scrapbook store that thankfully sells stamping stuff and lots of it! There is also a great hobby store in that town, too, and the owner even makes both rubber AND acrylic stamps of her own!

I'm 1 and 1/2 hours from Micheals and JoAnns. Most of the time they don't have what I'm looking for!

I love the drive through Glacier Park, but 2 hours is a long trip one way!

I am thankful for the wonderful scenery on the drive, and the scrapbook store in Columbia Falls, Montana, that I just discovered in July, has become my fav spot! PLUS, this summer, she's open until 10 pm! Midnight on Fridays!

P.S.: My SU demo lives 4 blocks from me!!!!!!!

She says because of her closeness to a huge tourist area, she gets lots of ladies there from out of state that want to scrapbook/stamp while their husbands are fishing, haha! She's also located right next to an RV park. I bet those traveling ladies love that store, too! She has a huge area with lots of tables and cuttlebugs, cricuts, etc., for scrapping and stamping.

Anyway, I feel for you driving all that way and not being able to touch and buy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 01:41 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

today went to a city, 1 hrs drive to do some back to school shopping for the kids. I was excited to hit some stamping stores. One being Michaels, one the memory... something, one a small mom and pop type place. NO ONE had what I wanted, House Mouse, Nesties, Liquid Pearls, stickles.. Only one had bug stuff.

Looks like I'll have to wait until October when I can get to Wausau where there is a JoAnns and hopefully they will have that. I know some of you have mentioned Hobby lobby, none around here.

URGH, I know I didn't spend near as much money as I had planned to day but I also dont have any new toys.. Oh well, kids are set.

thanks for the vent.

j
I hate to be a downer, but neither JoAnns or Michaels in Wausau has any of what you listed. Michaels has bug stuff, but nothing even remotely new; Joann's doesn't have any. I'm always moping about wanting to go to Appleton so I can visit Hobby Lobby and Archivers.

HOWEVER, if you visit the Stamp Shoppe in Rothschild or the Scrapbook Studio in Wausau, both of them carry Nesties, the Stamp Shoppe has tons of Cuttlebug embossing folders and House Mouse.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 01:57 AM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

I also know how frustrating it is to live a long way from stamping supplies! Nothing beats having a good look around a shop and getting your hands on stuff. I used to live in the UK and was a good hour away from an excellent stamp shop, but it was a real treat to go and was in such a pretty market town. Now I live in rural France, which is of course gorgeous but I think if someone had told me my nearest stamping shop was a two hour drive away in Paris, I might have thought twice!!! So like many others, I rely on the internet. Sadly though, it is not just the houses that are 'rustic', so is the telecommunications system, so I often lose my internet link as well which really sends me into a spin. However, slowly I am starting to make links here and have been put in touch with a SU demo which really helps. Also living here you simply can't do impatient, it is not the way things are done. You just get used to waiting or you would drive yourself mad. You come to accept it is just part of the culture!

Just think of it this way, how much more exciting it is when you do get the things you have waited for!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 03:26 AM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

thank you Cheryl, I'll look those up, we are probably spending one night at the water park hotel... (can't remember the name) and 2 at the best western (family reunion) so I will DEFFINATLY look those up.

jac
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 04:00 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

Try living in Dublin, capital city of Ireland. Not quite the boonies, but most of us here do most of our shopping online. Sure, it's nice to see stuff IRL before you buy, but I'd have almost nothing if I only had what I could buy in bricks and mortar stores.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 04:20 AM   #23  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I so feel for you! We actually have a craft store on base. It is great for what they can do here, but super, duper small! I have to do all my shopping online. Not nearly as much fun, but it is what it is!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 04:21 AM   #24  
Kookie Creator

Location: Currently, in the United Arab Emirates--about 45 miles north of Dubai, in Ras Al Khaimah

Same here in the United Arab Emirates. I just got back from Dubai, made a run to a store that does sell 12 x 12 card stock and pattern paper, and a few psx stamps. Have a HECK of a supply waiting in the U.S, at my mom's house. When I buy on-line, I have it shipped to her and she will send a "care" package to me about every three months !!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 04:37 AM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Oh i just read this and i am so sorry. It is not anyone. To be honest i was hoping someone from Sweet&Sassy stamp store would read it and send a PM how to order or a phone number. I so want 2 sets. I can't use paypal because of it getting hacked into. I am sorry you miss understood me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 04:49 AM   #26  
Gallery Gazer

Cook22 Try living in Dublin, capital city of Ireland.

I'd LOVE to live in Dublin, Ireland! Craft stores or no. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 04:56 AM   #27  
Insane Embellisher

I can relate! I'm an hour and a half from the nearest M's or J's. Thank God for online shopping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 05:04 AM   #28  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

thanks for the vent.

j
I am just outside of Columbus Ohio and there are SIX scrapbook stores and craft suppliers within 2 miles of me! I spend WAY too much money everytime I run out for glue!! But that said, what is it you are specifically looking for in stamps? I would be happy to look for them and send them to you. HL has 1/2 price stamps this week I think. I was raised in Chetek. I know Wausau well. We used to ski Rib Mountain!
Let me know what you need, I would be happy to look for you here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 05:08 AM   #29  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

You do not have to have PayPal account to pay through PP. I never set up an account. I have a 250.00 limit credit card that I only use for online purchases. When they send the PP invoice, just click to add your CC and dont let them save the info. I have never had a problem doing it this way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 09:13 AM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

thank you Cheryl, I'll look those up, we are probably spending one night at the water park hotel... (can't remember the name) and 2 at the best western (family reunion) so I will DEFFINATLY look those up.

jac
Jac - The Stamp Shoppe is fairly close to the water park hotel and the Scrapbook Studio is closer to the Best Western.

If you'd like, here are links to their websites: The Stamp Shoppe

Scrapbook Studio

Both of them are closed on Sundays (and I think Mondays)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 10:02 AM   #31  
Stampin' Fool

I was looking all over for stickles and nothing. So I have to buy online. Most of the time I don't even go into Joanns, Michaels or AC Moore anymore.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 10:04 AM   #32  
Insane Embellisher

I don't want you to feel alone. I live in Dallas, and still order a lot of stuff online...because it's just not in the stores here! Sometimes I can find some of the things I want....but I also use a lot of gas only to discover they either don't stock it, or they've sold out.

kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 02:27 PM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Somewhere in the middle...closer to there, nearer to here...

Small hijack here! What a cool thread to find out where everyone lives and how different their lives are from mine. I'm in Raleigh and there are multiple Michael's and AC Moores and one Archivers. No LSS anymore, but I still do a lot of buying on-line.

My 182.5 day Photo Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 05:25 PM   #34  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I, too, have resorted to online shopping for many items (with exception of SU supplies that I get through a demonstrator). You can order from Verve and pay no tax or shipping with a $50 minimum order. Even if you pay shipping, it's still cheaper than paying for the gas if you drive a good ways. If you're like me, when you're out and about, you often eat out as well. Subtract the meal and gas price and you're probably ahead by staying home and ordering online. :-) How's that for justification?!

Wanda Cullen ~ Dirty Dozen Alumni, On design team for Papertrey Ink, Designer for Color Throwdown and Fusion Card Challenges Cullen-ary Creations[/URL]...my blog HERE'S MY GALLERY[/URL]

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 05:38 PM   #35  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by cullenwrView Post
I, too, have resorted to online shopping for many items (with exception of SU supplies that I get through a demonstrator). You can order from Verve and pay no tax or shipping with a $50 minimum order. Even if you pay shipping, it's still cheaper than paying for the gas if you drive a good ways. If you're like me, when you're out and about, you often eat out as well. Subtract the meal and gas price and you're probably ahead by staying home and ordering online. :-) How's that for justification?!
Yes and dont forget to add in the impulse buys of sale items etc that you had not intention of getting until you saw them in the store
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 09:19 PM   #36  
Kookie Creator

I live 15 miles from a Hobby Lobby and a Joann's but they are not nearly so large as in bigger cities. Mostly I go to them for the coupon discount to get basic supplies I run out of and need right away. The selection of stamps and paper are minimal and out of date. They have 3 times the aisle space dedicated to stickers than they do rubber stamps! Whoever their buyers are should spend some time online and find out what people are buying!

So I end up buying everything else either through SU or online. I haven't been disappointed with online and have found many small companies that have my 'style' of stamps etc. and such personal service that you never find in a store.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 09:30 PM   #37  
Stampin' Fool

I TOTALLY live in the boonies! I too am an online shopper. I try and support a lot of Canadian companies but find that a lot of the American online stores carry the latest product.

My Blog
My Gallery

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2008, 04:28 AM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

thanks for the vent.

j

Hello!
If you are talking about Wausau WI I know the shops here. Scrapbook Studio has some Nesties. Stamp Shoppe has Stickles, liquid Pearls, House Mouse and TONS more stamps. Joannes now has many clear stamp sets by Inkdinkado<Fiskars and a few other brands.

I wish we had a Hobby Lobby. I go there when we go to my SIL in Kenosha.
PM if you need anymore details.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2008, 04:32 AM   #39  
Inking Addict

Haha, we are currently stationed one of the islands in Japan so I understand online shopping. Sometimes we cannot even find sour cream or chicken breasts in the grocery store much less any decent scrapbooking stuff. I have to buy everything online. I think we should get free shipping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2008, 06:34 AM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by onelightningchicView Post
Yes and dont forget to add in the impulse buys of sale items etc that you had not intention of getting until you saw them in the store
Umm...I still have impulse buys when I shop online. LOL!!!
Reply With Quote Likes