View Single Post
Old 08-11-2008, 02:24 AM   #1
Lynn in St. Louis
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default TLC181 Stained Glass 8/11/08

TLC 181 -

Today is my first week of hosting the Technique Lovers Challenge, so I hope you will be gentle with me…lol. I can never hope to fill the void that Beth leaves after 180 amazing challenges, but I will do my best to bring you challenges that you enjoy and that will inspire you to try something that perhaps is new to you.

On with the challenge...
We are all familiar with Acetate cards, but today I bring you a challenge that puts a little twist on the traditional Acetate card. This technique is called the Stained Glass Technique and it’s easy to do, but provides a big WOW! I was reminded of this technique while blurffing and I ran across Andrea Walford’s blog. Andrea’s design was a bit different, but she had some wonderful tips and suggestions. Thanks Andrea for the idea!

Please don’t let the length of this post scare you. All the directions are included in this post.

Take a look at my sample before you go onto the directions. Seeing it before you begin will help with the process.

Here’s what you will need:

Card Dimensions: 4-1/4” X 11, scored and folded in half.
Single Piece of cardstock piece to create the interior frame 4 1/4" x 5 1/2"
White or light colored cardstock for inside mat
Piece of Acetate measuring 4-1/8” x 5-3/8”

Supplies:
  • Stamps (images that have some open spaces for coloring work best)
  • Classic Re-inkers
  • Black Stazon
  • Crystal Effects, Glossy Accents or equivalent
  • A palette to mix inks with Crystal Effects (a piece of wax paper, or empty egg crate will work)
  • Small paintbrush
  • Paper trimmer or craft knife/cutting mat
  • Adhesive
Step 1: Create your front window by cutting in 1/2" on all 4 sides of the card front.
Step 2: Repeat Step 1 with your 4-1/4 X 5-1/2” piece (interior frame)
Step 3: Adhere your White or light cardstock to the inside of your card
Step 4: Using a pencil, with your card closed (from the front) make a mark (using your frame as a guide) on your white or light colored cardstock where you will be stamping your sentiment. This will be a guide when you stamp your sentiment…you don’t want it covered up by your frame…you want EVERYONE to see it.
Step 5: Stamp your sentiment onto the light color cardstock (using your pencil marks for a placement guide)
Step 6: Using your Stazon, stamp your images onto the acetate (remember not to stamp over the area where your sentiment will show through). Let dry.
Step 7: On your palette, mixing one color at a time, combine about a dime sized amount of Crystal Effects to 1 drop of re-inker and stir, mixing color with a toothpick or the straightened end of a paper-clip.
Step 8: Using your paintbrush dab your re-inker/Crystal Effects mix into the open areas that you want to color (on the opposite side on which you stamped). The thicker the amount of color, the better the effect you will get. You will need adequate drying time for this, however. Be patient…it will be worth the wait.
Step 9: Once your acetate piece is dry, adhere the piece to the inside of the front flap of your card. You may use sticky tape, but my regular adhesive worked fine. Don’t worry about how the adhesive looks through the acetate because you will cover it up in the next step.
Step 10: Adhere the frame that you cut earlier to the back side of the front of the card. Watch your alignment so that you don’t see the back frame from the front of the card. (You probably already know how I discovered this tip!)
Step 11: Done, now sit back and admire the awesome job you did!

Additional: If you want space to write a note, you can always adhere another piece of cardstock onto the back of the card, or follow Andrea’s layout.

Again, you can find my samples:
HERE and HERE

Please use keyword TLC181 when you upload.

TLC181 Gallery

My Gallery

Last edited by Lynn in St. Louis; 04-05-2009 at 12:55 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!