Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-31-2008, 05:36 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I missing something here

Okay, so I am new to splitcoastampers, but I've been on other forums before.
My problem: I have responded right away to several people who are selling stuff. I ask if it is still available, they say yes, I ask for paypal addy to send payment right away and within 2 minutes they send another pm saying oh sold it. This is the third time. I buy alot of stamps on the Cricut MB and ebay and never run into stuff like this. What am I missing here?
Thanks,
Lori
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2008, 05:45 AM   #2  
Crimping Master

I haven't tried to purchase anything so I don't know why that would be, but I am sorry that you are having so much trouble. I'm glad I'm not the only one stalking ebay for stamps. LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2008, 05:50 AM   #3  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lori BrodnaxView Post
Okay, so I am new to splitcoastampers, but I've been on other forums before.
My problem: I have responded right away to several people who are selling stuff. I ask if it is still available, they say yes, I ask for paypal addy to send payment right away and within 2 minutes they send another pm saying oh sold it. This is the third time. I buy alot of stamps on the Cricut MB and ebay and never run into stuff like this. What am I missing here?
Thanks,
Lori
lori - i've bought, traded, and sold many tims on the BST forums. i've never had any issues. when selling or trading i always address messages in the order they've been recvd, and if someone asks and they aren't first, i always say, "it's available, but i'm waiting to hear from someone else first".

i think most posters do the same.

the best way to figure out the problem is to ask the poster that responded. most likely, it's just a mistake. don't let it keep you from the boards. i see you haven't posted much, but i think you'll find SCS a great place to hang out.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:55 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

My guess (and I hope I am wrong), People are concerned with how few posts you have made. Some are leary of getting "taken" and if you are new here, they may be worried. I hope I am wrong, but I fear I'm not. Everyone should be playing fair, KWIM? if they said it was available, then it should be. I hope things start working out for you. Sorry you've had trouble.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2008, 06:04 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

I agree with the poster about having few posts. I do trade/sell with anyone no matter how many posts a person has but it does cross my mind to check it out. I jknow when selling you gets lots of PM's and emails so it does get confusing and time consuming to sort through everything. I hope you are able to get some trades to work for you. I have had great luck on the BST boards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2008, 06:39 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Your low post number is what first came to mind for me as well. I hope it works out for you quickly. Good luck!

Smiles,
anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2008, 06:44 AM   #7  
Watercolor Wizard

I would be leery of buying stamps from someone with a low post count, but not selling stamps to someone with a low post count, ya know?

When I buy from someone, there's a chance that I pay them, but don't get my product.

But if I'm selling to someone, I get paid before I ship the product, so there isn't much of a risk there.

I'm sorry you're having trouble................I would be frustrated as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2008, 07:02 AM   #8  
Forum Fanatic

I gave up on the BST board because I had the exact same frustration as you! And at the time I had a couple thousand posts, and also scrappincat's comment is bang on too. I chalked it up to either everyone else being interested in the same sets I was, and to sellers listing their items for sale at more than one location. Whatever the reason was, I got tired of it fast! Sorry to hear you are going thru the same thing too; hope it works out for you soon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2008, 07:10 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

I agree 100%. She offered to pay through paypal so you will have your money before you ship the items. I think thats sad that people are being "snobs" and I use the term loosely, just beacuse someones a newbie. We all have to start somewhere. As a fellow newbie, I now know not to turn to the BST forum because more than like ly, no one will sell to me. *Sigh*

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappincatView Post
I would be leery of buying stamps from someone with a low post count, but not selling stamps to someone with a low post count, ya know?

When I buy from someone, there's a chance that I pay them, but don't get my product.

But if I'm selling to someone, I get paid before I ship the product, so there isn't much of a risk there.

I'm sorry you're having trouble................I would be frustrated as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2008, 07:28 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Well, I have heard of people canceling payment after it's been sent, so that's kinda where my thought was. I would happily sell to ANYONE, no matter what, but not everyone thinks that way.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2008, 08:44 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrina+2View Post
I agree 100%. She offered to pay through paypal so you will have your money before you ship the items. I think thats sad that people are being "snobs" and I use the term loosely, just beacuse someones a newbie. We all have to start somewhere. As a fellow newbie, I now know not to turn to the BST forum because more than like ly, no one will sell to me. *Sigh*
As a newbie, you are unlikely to have any problems with buying; you might be watchful if you are buying from a seller with a low post count, however.

Unfortunately, there are no guarantees with online transactions that take place on a message board; it's a buyer beware situation, not a seller beware, if you follow me?

It's more caution than anything else, because folks have found themselves burned in the past, UKWIM? They send their money and the product is never shipped. A seller with a high post count tends to be indicative of reliability--not always, of course, because as I said, there are no guarantees, and you are, in effect, always taking a chance no matter who you deal with, if you don't know them personally. ;)

HTH,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2008, 08:47 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

I got scammed by someone who was new to SCS w/ only a few posts under her belt. She sent $ using Paypal and then stopped payment once the set was sent. I was trusting and lost out so I can understand why the seller might be a little nervous. Sorry that there are a few who ruin it for the rest of us:(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2008, 08:50 AM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrina+2View Post
As a fellow newbie, I now know not to turn to the BST forum because more than like ly, no one will sell to me. *Sigh*
Just wanted to say that as someone else with a fairly low post count and someone who hasn't been very active here in the last few months, I posted a request in the BST forums and successfully received contact from someone who subsequently sold me the items I wanted. I was more than happy with my first deal via SCS.

As JulieHRR and others have said, the issue is more likely to go the other way, with people being a bit wary (and quite rightly) of buying from people with low post counts. I know I'd be more than cautious.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2008, 01:03 PM   #14  
Inking Addict

Talking

I am happy to sell to anybody. I remember the old days on ebay when we all had to take a leap of faith. I never did get taken and I did a lot of business back then. It is so different now and I know others have had different experiences. It just seems like we are all in this together and as long as we treat each other with respect it will all work out.

In the meantime, you can check out my for sale list and I will be happy to do business with you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2008, 07:39 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

I have a slight hijack on this one.... I recently posted on a thread and offered to trade with a lady. She offered me exactly what I wanted to trade, and was really enthusiastic. She gave me her mailing info asap and I told her I would mail her stuff on Saturday... I went to the PO and the PO was closed on Saturday, so I went on Monday. I immediately came home and pm'd her to let her know that I had shipped my item to her on Monday instead of Saturday per our agreement. It has been 2 weeks and counting, and I still haven't received my trade. I've pm'd her asking if she received her package, hoping all is well... and now I'm thinking she might be at convention... how long do I wait before I try to take any action? Until convention is over? a week? two? What would you do?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2008, 10:01 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

First off, are you sure she's a demo? And even then, are you sure she was going to Convention? Either way, two weeks is long enough to wait considering you haven't gotten any response from her. I'd contact one of the Swap Moderators and see if she can help nudge the other lady. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2008, 10:08 PM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

I have to say, my experience of buying (only) on here has been very positive despite the fact that it is not straightforward because I live in France and don't have Paypal. In the last couple of weeks I have bought a few sets and paid with gift certificates. I have found people to be very prompt and positive about dealing with my different circumstances. I am also fairly new to this forum. I do think really the original poster has just been unlucky and would urge her to move on and try again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2008, 04:44 AM   #18  
Inking Addict

I've sold several items on SCS and I always take whoever sends me a PM first. If someone sends another about the same item, then I keep theirs in case the 1st falls through - but I also let them know that they are 2nd in line! Sounds like you've just had some bad luck - keep trying!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2008, 06:38 AM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Sorry you've had problems Lori - it must be frustrating but at least no money has left your pocket on these!

I've only done a couple of purchases on the BST forum here but I've had great experiences each time. I was pretty new when I did my first one and like French Chablis, I'm potentially a bit 'difficult' as I'm in the UK but the sellers have been great in getting shipping costs for me and I've got what they said, in the condition they described. I just bought something else and I'm optimistic that will be fine, too!

Sounds like you ran in to some bad luck Lori, maybe stick at it?

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2008, 07:29 AM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

I have had really good luck with the B/S/T forum here on SCS, even with newbies! Keep trying, Lori and post a few comments in the gallery to help boost up your post score a little, you will make someone's day at the same time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2008, 08:16 AM   #21  
Gallery Gazer

I've only bought once on BST, but I had a good experience. The stamp was described as slightly used and that's what it really was - just a little staining. I was searching for the Aida cloth BG stamp and the only problem I had was finding someone who still had it. Some people don't seem to go back and update their posting when a stamp is sold. But everyone that I sent a PM to got back to me pretty quickly. I will definitely go this route again when I'm looking for something.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2008, 02:25 PM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

My stamps came today... I feel bad for not waiting to post.. I hope I didn't hurt her feelings. I just wasn't patient enough. Just thought I'd share. :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2008, 04:04 PM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

I guess this is why I dont do any buying or selling to personal parties online here or ebay. scams and dishonest people either buyers or sellers.. If I dont get it when it was offered then I dont need it ever. I will use something else.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2008, 04:32 PM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

I have only bought a couple items from fellow SCSrs and have had great luck. However, I didn't go to the B/S/T. I think there is a thread in that group that says "looking for", and I posted what I was looking for. That way they come to you, and YOU can pick and choose. One I sent money and the other was a paypal. I like paypal myself because it's much quicker. Good luck to you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2008, 04:41 PM   #25  
Mad Swapper

Well, I did not read the whole thread, but incase some one has not mentioned it yet...there actually a thread under Buy/Sell about this very thing just a couple of weeks ago. I think it was around the time that the "Reliably Sellers" sticky thread started. So you are not the only one to have experienced this. Many long time SCSer's have also. Sorry that it has happened to you. I have only had a bad experience once (the same thing as you) in all the times I have bought items there. Don't let it get you down. Like another poster suggested, perhaps you could ask the seller why.
Sandy O
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2008, 04:44 PM   #26  
Mad Swapper

OH and welcome to SCS, it really is the best place to meet the BEST folks!
Sandy O
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2008, 04:53 PM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Last fall I did a lot of buying from the BST forum and a few things were sold by the time I pm'd the seller, but the deals that did go through were all great - in fact I forgot to stamp a check to someone and she held the stamps for me for ages - the dumb letter came back to me and I was so embarrassed. But several times I offered to paypal for it and just let her tear up the check or send more merchandise if it arrived. She was very patient and it turned out good. One time I bought from someone and later found someone else had it cheaper - but oh well, live and learn - then when I got the stamp is was on the wood crooked so I learned which way to turn it so it stamped correctly - would have appreciated the seller warning me about that but oh well. I only joined last summer but I post so much cuz I am a blabber-poster my post count was probably pretty high by then...Good luck. Don't give up - most transactions here go very well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2008, 05:07 PM   #28  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 404 Likes on 305 Posts

First of all, Welcome! Second, Don't give up! This was just a huge thread on the BST forum, too. Even sellers/buyers that have been here for YEARS had the same complaint. I have no reason to give you - I haven't sold on the BST (have bought plenty there though! <s>) but can tell you that it is not personal. There are many, many others saying the same you are, myself included! I just figure the seller has her reasons, wrong or right as they may be, and that set was not meant to be for me, and I move on There will be plenty more sets for sale - if you follow the BST long enough, the same ones always come back around!
Blessings,

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My Instagram: kellyannsanti
My YouTube channel

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2008, 06:49 PM   #29  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by shellylovestostampView Post
My stamps came today... I feel bad for not waiting to post.. I hope I didn't hurt her feelings. I just wasn't patient enough. Just thought I'd share. :rolleyes:
I am glad to hear that the stamps came. I was going to post to wait it out.. I bought a big lots of stamps on ebay and the seller mailed them out right away and it took nearly a month to go from RI to TN.. they did finally arrive.. they had mailed them out as they said, it was the USPS that was acting like the Pony Express to get them here.. Pam

--English writer G. K. Chesterton (1874-1936)

~*BLOG*~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2008, 06:57 PM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not sure...could just be a fluke too. I've made purchases a few times...even had trades and free stuff sent. As a matter of fact...I promised one person I'd look into what coluzzle stuff I had. I still need to do that for her.
Anyhow..I would say keep on trying.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2008, 06:30 PM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can and will personally vouch for you Lori. You are the epitome of integrity. Just holler at me Lori if you suspect your low post count will cause problems in the future and I'll vouch for you, contact the seller, or whatever. Unfortunately I do think the posts stating it could be caused by such a low number of posts is correct.

Elizabeth
Reply With Quote Likes