Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-13-2008, 07:53 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you think people do with...

the cards that you send them? Do you assume they get admired for a bit and then tossed out, or is the admiring part skipped over and into the bin they go right away?

I sent a get well card to my boss' wife and when she thanked me for it she said it went right into the box with the rest. I was pleasantly shocked =) [I always send a thank you for raises and unexpected bonuses, as well as the annual Xmas one] I had no idea that she saves them! My talent is one step up from beginner in my eyes, so to have someone say that they've saved them has had me on a "high" all weekend and really anxious to try out some ideas that have been tumbling around my head.

My MIL saves them as well, but I kind of felt she felt like she "had" to, KWIM? I sent a couple of welcome baby cards to friends purposely done in colors and patterns to match the nursery and they ended up framing them and keeping them in the rooms. For me, these few "saves" make up for all of the ones I KNOW get filed in the circular =)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2008, 08:09 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

They either get tossed or kept!
And, I've come to terms with it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2008, 08:11 PM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

the family and friends that I send cards to, I know cherish them. I made my grandma a lunchbox tin full of cards for Christmas. there were like 40 cards in it and I think that she has only used about 5 of them. She keeps asking me to make more, and tells me that they are too cute to send out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2008, 08:19 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

I always assume that they are tossed unless specifically told otherwise. That is why I find it difficult to use my Hodge Podge Hardware! I have one sister who always tells me she loves my cards and saves all of them. She will even take them to work to display on her desk. When making multiple cards for special occasions like Easter, 4th of July, etc., I always make sure she gets the extra special embellishments!! Other family members have never even acknowledged that I sent them a card, so they get the (how shall I put this?) less beautiful cards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2008, 08:53 PM   #5  
Watercolor Wizard

I know some people keep them indefinitely, some don't, but I've come to terms with it. The reaction that people have when they first open them is always very positive, so that's what I remember. Plus I get joy from making the cards...and joy from other SCSers when they comment on them.

I design for Wee Memories Scrappy Saturday Challenge
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2008, 09:09 PM   #6  
Her Royal Awesomeness of Shiner Bock PTA Pirate Land

dh's boss' girlfriend (got that) best friend's brother (even more confusing) died of a brain tumor the other day. it had been a long drawn out battle.

i made up a card (well, it was really one i made at a shoebox swap that i added a sentiment to) adn gave it to dh to give to her.

she has sent me a thank you note for the card. dh's boss said that the handmade card was teh best thing for her and that she has kept it with her and looks at it every day...

now it wasn't the best card ever, definitely not something i would look at everyday. but i think the fact that it was handmade and time put into it just floored this lady that we didn't know.

the funny thing is she wants to start coming to some classes to learn how to make cards like that to touch other people's lives like my card touched hers.

you never know when a card will make an impact in someone's life.

but for the most part - i'm pretty sure people toss them. a few of my stamping friends keep them. but for the most part, they get tossed. i'm sure.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2008, 10:10 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I think my parents keep my cards. But most people keep them for a while and then they get tossed or recycled. I'm waiting for the day that one of my embellishments makes it's way back to me on a new card from one of my friends! I've been guilty of reusing an embellishment so I'd just get a good laugh out of it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2008, 10:18 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

My Mom and MIL say they keep them. My MIL likes to show them to her friends. She's very sweet and thinks I am talented. That makes me feel good. My best friend keeps them, I am sure, but she couldn't tell you were they are anymore. lol My one good friend told me she uses them as bookmarks and enjoys seeing them all the time. My MIL's best friend said she's framing the card I made her! That was a huge compliment to me. Another good friend who enjoys scrapbooking has made a special album to keep all the handmade cards she has received on special pages she's made. I think most everyone else probably keeps them for a while and then either boxes or tosses them. I don't feel anyone should be burdened with keeping things that weigh down their life. If they found one or two that they particularly like and want to keep, that would be very special to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2008, 10:48 PM   #9  
Compulsive Stamper

My MIL has every card I've sent her or FIL or both in an album. She has even slit the page protectors so that you can read the inside of each card. My Mom keeps them in a photo box where guests in her house can flip through them. Most others display for the holidays and then toss. All appreciate the cards and if a holiday goes by w/out one from us...I get asked about it. So making the card is fun, giving the card is fun, and for the recipient receiving is fun too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2008, 11:10 PM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Since I only give my handmade cards to a very few select people, I would like to think that the recipients of my cards keep them, but honestly I know most of them gets trashed or "forgotten." I try not to be offended if I find out they threw it out (even though a part of me says "she's/he's/they're getting H@llm@rk cards next time) and instead remind myself that I gave it to them because of how special they mean to me--what they chose to do with it once it's in their hands is up to them. But as a fellow card maker, I keep EVERYTHING!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2008, 11:43 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

I found out that one of my SIL's cuts the inside(back flap) off my cards I send her family and she recycles the fronts by using them to decorate gift bags or she uses them as a *postcard* card and writes on the back of the front. She also made a joke about how she gets all these compliments from the people she gives them to and she just acts like she made them. I had to laugh about it. Its flattering when she puts it that way.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:46 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

One friend of mine told me laminated a birthday card I made for her and hung it up in her workstation at work!!! Now that one had me on a high, especially since she is a digital scrapbooker (I assume that fellow scrapbookers and card-makers have higher standards than the normal population).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 02:08 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I hope that they put them in the recycling box if they choose not to keep them. Otherwise, I don't think about it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 04:53 AM   #14  
Forum Fanatic

80% of the people I send cards to toss them out after reading them, the other 20% stick them on the shelf until the next time they clean. I'm totally okay with that. I don't think anyone saves them, though my 2 year old nephew did carry an "aunt jessi" card around for 3 days until he destroyed it. I liked that, except the destroying part, because it was one of my best cards ever (for his mom)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 05:02 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

I try not to think of it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 05:03 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I assume they keep them for a bit, like a week or so, then toss them. I'm ok with that. I know a few people do keep them longer term. Interestingly Brian's family keeps them, but my family does not keep them. (brian is my DH)

I don't keep cards forever either, so I'm ok with this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 05:10 AM   #17  
Crimping Master

I think the people that I have sent them to so far keep them. I generally make them for very close friends/family that I know will truely appreciate them. I think this is why I am more into scrapping than card making. I KNOW my pages are kept and cherished forever. My DD's love to look throught their books.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 05:23 AM   #18  
Mad Swapper

I know that a few people at work(including my boss) kept the last on displayed until they get a new one. Right now my boss still has my Easter card on his shelf. He will get one for his Bday next week. Since I empty his trash and have never seen one tossed I don't know what happens to them .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 05:25 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

My step mother has saved every card that I have made for her and my father since I first started stamping...yes, even those first ones, the ones that I wish she would throw out. I have another friend who has asked me to stop making the cards that I send to her, because she won't throw them out! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 06:56 AM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

I know that certain people keep them, but I don't have any idea if others throw them out. I know my parents, hubby's mom, hubby's grandma, my SIL all keep them. Everyone one else I don't know for sure. I've seen my cards displayed in people homes numerous times, but I don't know if they get thrown away or not afterwards. My husband's grandma has framed some of hers. I don't use HPH on cards that I think are more likely to get thrown away though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 07:09 AM   #21  
Embossing Fanatic

LOL - my friends save the cards I make and reuse the fronts for their other friends and family. I'm waiting for the day when I get one of my own back! Another one of my friends uses the cards I send her on her scrapbook pages as an accent. However, I know that when I send one to my father I ask him to save it or else he tosses it. I'll reuse the card front for someone else.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 07:18 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My son (!), husband and in laws save them. Everyone else, I assume, throws them out. I have no problem with that....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 07:29 AM   #23  
Inking Addict

I have kept every hand-made card I have ever received... I just love them, and can't possibly part with them, one girl friend sends me a photo-xmas card (which isn't common in Australia, like in the US) and I have made a mini album just to keep her cards in as they're more than just cards, they're a record of her children growing up! Maybe when I get more, I will have to re-think!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 07:30 AM   #24  
Inking Addict

Opps, forgot to say, I know my grandmother keeps all the cards I make for her, not sure what my other friends/family do though! I hope they keep them for a little while anyway!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 07:31 AM   #25  
Crimping Master

I assumed people just toss them. However, I recently took a trip back to my home state and was surprised to see several of my cards on display in my brothers' and sisters' home. It was good to know that they like receiving them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 07:34 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilove2scrapView Post
I have kept every hand-made card I have ever received... I just love them, and can't possibly part with them, one girl friend sends me a photo-xmas card (which isn't common in Australia, like in the US) and I have made a mini album just to keep her cards in as they're more than just cards, they're a record of her children growing up! Maybe when I get more, I will have to re-think!!
I have a friend who has kept every single Photo christmas card that we have sent of our 4 children. She has been receiving them since my oldest was in K. 15 years. she called me this year when she got out christmas card and her comment this year was from little elves (the first card she got was of my kids dressed in all red and white) to clevage! (my how the girls have grown) lol
sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 07:48 AM   #27  
Gallery Gazer

For the most part, I don't know and I try not to wonder. I know one friend keeps them all. When we worked together, she displayed them on her desk and rotated through them. I know she puts all my Christmas cards out each year. I hope my card-making friends keep them, but I don't ask. My SIL began making cards about 2 years ago, I hope she keeps them; I keep hers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 07:48 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh and I want to let everyone know not to take it personally is someone doesn't keep them. Some people just don't keep stuff. I don't usually keep them. I have a few that I do. Mostly I keep them for a while then I do toss them. But I treasure the cards and the though and receiving them so much. I wouldn't want anyone to assume that because someone doesn't keep a special box of all your cards that means they don't treasure you and your time and thought and skill.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 07:56 AM   #29  
Crimping Master

I go under the assumption that any one besides my mom and my grandparents toss them. I'm at peace it with it really. However, I always put more TLC and layers on the ones that will be kept!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 08:22 AM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

eh, i know my inlaws toss them, my mom loves them, but i think she eventually tosses them as well. i really don't mind because i don't keep cards that people send me. (well, unless it's handmade, because i understand) what bugs me is when people don't even acknowledge the work that goes into it. my inlaws put out all the other cards they recieve, but i think the fact that my FIL will put one of my cards out by my MIL won't is completely intentional. you see, if there's no hallmark barcode or price tag on the back, then it must not be worth anything. :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 08:25 AM   #31  
Hardware Hotshot

I know that ones I send to my husband's grandma are kept and displayed in her living room.. my mom keeps them all in her box of cards.. Pam

--English writer G. K. Chesterton (1874-1936)

~*BLOG*~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 08:32 AM   #32  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

My mom keeps them for eternity (not a huge compliment--she also saves peanut butter jars and margarine tubs).

My MIL however, I think pitches immediately. I was at her home over the Fourth and she still had all of her birthday cards displayed but mine (the gift card dh gave her was displayed, though).

To her credit, she is a great MIL. Generous and caring. Crafting is just not her thing. So, next year dh can go to Hallmark--I hear they have cards ;)

my blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 08:38 AM   #33  
Rubber Obsessor

I don't know what everyone does with mine but when i give them to close relatives they either keep them or give them me back to recycle - not in a nasty way (i did ask one time for cards to recycle) but they know that some bits on them cost a bit and would rather give them me back so i can pull bits off and re-use than throw them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 08:47 AM   #34  
Kookie Creator

I've had people tell me they keep the cards I send them on display in their office. My mom was upset that she couldn't reuse my cards, so I started sending and extra piece of white c.s. for the inside. I put a 3 1/2" x 4 3/4" colored c.s. and then a 3 1/4" x 4 1/2" white c.s. on the inside of all my cards. that way what I have to say is framed. All my mom does is take out the piece I've written on and glues in the piece I sent her.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 10:44 AM   #35  
Kookie Creator

i know my family and close friends keep the cards i send. i also have had new parents frame the baby cards i've made and placed them in their child's room. makes me feel so happy.

lately i've had friends ask if i would not write in their birthday cards but write on a post it instead. that way they could forward onto some else they know who is having a birthday. this request has come from my male friends. they enjoy the card and my creativity, save it for a week or two and then toss it. they said they would rather use it later for someone else if the inside were blank.

that's OK with me. just have to remember to do that.

i have one friend who saves every thanksgiving card i have sent her. at Thanksgiving time, she pulls out the cards and uses them for decoration. that put a smile on my face for sure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 10:47 AM   #36  
Kookie Creator

i keep the cards my friends send me. when my box gets full, i take the card fronts and make a simple scrapbook out of them. i journal the date and name of sender and any special thoughts they may have written in the card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 10:52 AM   #37  
Glitter Guru

I make cards based on if I think people will keep them or not - people that I know will keep them I add special touches - embossing, brads, fancier ribbon, etc...for others that will probably throw them away I make much simpler cards...

I make a variety of Holiday cards - I usually do a "nicer" batch and a plainer batch (just as pretty but easier/faster/less expensive to do)...Plainer cards get sent to people I am pretty sure toss them...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 10:55 AM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

My grandma would keep every card she ever got and I am not talking hand made. I usually keep them on my entertainment center for a bit and then they get tossed. A few handmade ones I keep for ideas in my stamping area.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 11:30 AM   #39  
Hardware Hotshot

Some friends I know keep theirs and when they tell me they do that, I strongly urge them to send them on for others to enjoy. One friend I have has a card on her coffee table that I sent her 2-3 years ago!!! I just refuse to think about the cards that are tossed and relish those that I know are enjoyed and kept or recycled.

Wanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 11:37 AM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

My closest friends and MIL keep them until theres too many and then they start to toss them out and fill in with the new ones I send them. My co-workers adore my cards, so I see them all over their offices. But my family could care less, so I know those ones go into the trash. But my dad has comment that at least I have the thought to send them...so while he doesn't keep them, I know he appreciates that I take time to send them to him.

I try to keep my cards blank too when I send them out. Unless I really made it just for them. I'll write my note on a post it, so then if they're ever inclined to use my card, it gets passed on to someone else. I figure someone out there will get a little joy from my art...even if its only for a second, lol.
Reply With Quote Likes