Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-10-2008, 09:47 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So disappointed

My LSS is closing it's doors forever. They sent out a special letter to all former VIPs for today (first sale of the clearance). Well, they have an extensive VIP list or everyone in town got one. The line was all the way down the shopping center. Over an hour after opening the doors, I got in. They only had stuff marked down 20%. I just left. 20% was not worth the line to check out. They are selling all their fixtures too but the prices for paper holders were still too high.

With that said, I have a nice, crisp $100 bill sitting in my wallet. My mind keeps saying to put it in the bank. But I had it set aside to spend. What I would really like is to get some unmounted rubber stamps since I have gone that route yet. Any recommendations on some cute ones to try?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 09:51 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by anng97View Post
My LSS is closing it's doors forever. They sent out a special letter to all former VIPs for today (first sale of the clearance). Well, they have an extensive VIP list or everyone in town got one. The line was all the way down the shopping center. Over an hour after opening the doors, I got in. They only had stuff marked down 20%. I just left. 20% was not worth the line to check out. They are selling all their fixtures too but the prices for paper holders were still too high.

With that said, I have a nice, crisp $100 bill sitting in my wallet. My mind keeps saying to put it in the bank. But I had it set aside to spend. What I would really like is to get some unmounted rubber stamps since I have gone that route yet. Any recommendations on some cute ones to try?
Sad isn't it? My LSS is closing too at the end of the month. I got some good deals as a VIP too. I bought some fixtures at a great price - so I have no complaints at all (other than the store is closing!!!).

Bellas, The Cat's Pajamas & GinaK Designs all have some cute unmounted rubber stamps. Those are just a few - I am sure others will name more.

:-) Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 09:53 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

So sad about the LSS! I love just being in a scrapbooking store! For the stamps, you might try Stamping Bella or Pink Cat Studio! Very fun stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 10:12 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Rileys from Hanna Stamps (the little moose)!!! I love these little guys - so so so cute! Still have yet to buy my first stamps from them, but hopefully I'll get them in the next few weeks...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 10:17 AM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 592 Likes on 243 Posts

Another one bites the dust. A moment of silence please.
And PLEASE shop locally every chance you get to keep the few top-notch stamp and scrap stores that we have left in business.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 10:26 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get a lot of bang for your buck at I brake for stamps.com. She has a great selection, great quality, and great service! I also like Gina K, Unity Stamps, and Cornish heritage farms.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 10:55 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Oh no... What LSS is it? I'm in Northern Virginia and we've already lost a few around here. I miss having the selection of before and the luxury of running out to get whatever I want instead of having to order via internet! That said, I'm pretty impressed with most of the internet sites I've used. Really like Cornish Heritage Farms, Stamping Cottage and All That Scraps. Have heard tons of good things about many others too!

happy shopping! Let us know what you decide to get!

Quote:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 11:08 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm sure shopping on the internet has had a profound effect on local stamping/scrapbooking stores.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 11:10 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

It is such a shame that LSS seem to be shutting down left and right! I guess they can't compete with Archiver's, HL, and Mike's!
For unmounted rubber, I just love Pink Cat Studios! They stamp so well, and one image is cuter than the next. I could easily spend $100 there and be very, very happy HTH!

I design for Heartfelt Creations,
The Stamps Of Life
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 12:16 PM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We will all lose our LSS's unless we support them. Times are tough and a lot of them are closing their doors.

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 12:36 PM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

I feel your pain. My favorite LSS was going out of business at the end of June. I thought I'd have the opportunity to go mid month and get a great deal on things and before I was able to get there, the Iowa flood you may have heard about destroyed everything. If you are interested in ordering online I'd suggest unmounted stamps from the member companies. Great products and great service.

Quote:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 01:02 PM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

It's sad to hear another store is closing. I try to support the LSS here. If I can get it there I don't order online.

I suggest Gina K and I love the new Inkainkadoo clear stamps. Our ACMoore just got a boatload of different Inkadinkadoo sets in this week. I used a 40% coupon the other day to snag one.

My Gallery| My My Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 02:17 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

It is sad isn't it? The LSS that was near me closed at the beginning of the year and I am still missing it. I really enjoyed not only going in there to see what was new, but the owner and one of the women that worked and taught classes there were really pleasant.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 02:40 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Our LSS is also closing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 02:59 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Can somebody tell me the names of the LSS that are closing in VA? I might need to make a trip before the doors are locked...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 03:54 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

Received 124 Likes on 110 Posts

I'm sorry your LSS is closing. You're lucky, however, that you even had one to begin with. Within a 25-mile radius of my home, we have two Michael's (the second just opened last fall), a very unkempt Ben Franklin, and a locally-owned store that caters to all crafts (not just stamping and scrapbooking) and that employs some of the rudest clerks I've ever encountered. There are also the craft departments at Wal-Mart and Target.

So, unfortunately, for me there are few options other than buying off the internet (well, besides Stampin' Up and other direct sales companies!). I've heard too many people voice disappointment with acrylic stamps, so I haven't gone that route yet. I have several unmounted rubber alphabet sets from Purple Onion Designs. Eat Cake Graphics has cute images that are available either as unmounted or wood-mounted. I've recently discovered Lizzie Anne Designs, which I really like because their images are good quality rubber, already trimmed with cling attached, so they are ready to just put on a block and stamp.

Anng97, if you don't mind my asking, in what part of Virginia do you live?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 05:10 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

The two I was talking about have already closed. They were Recollections (from the Michael's chain) and Ashburn Family Scrapbooks. Boooo hoooo.

The two still close by (near Dulles airport) are Angela's Happy Stamper and Scrapbooks-Plus which I, ahem, "support" at every opportunity.:-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 05:19 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Heard of Angela's from several sources, never stopped in tho. Usually on I95 back and forth from Gaithersburg to Richmond, with the dog in the car, shopping is out. Rubber Chicken in G'burg just closed a couple months ago. Very sad.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 05:33 PM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Angela's rocks! They carries tons and tons of stamp companies and will order for you without having to pay shipping. Also recently added tons of DP, more inks, more punches, more embellishments. They have great classes too. I'm taking a colored pencil class with Dave Brethauer of Memory Box in Aug. It's a very dangerous establishment. If you're looking for an excuse, they have a big anniversary celebration/open house coming up Sat. Aug 2.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2008, 05:17 AM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by PH in VAView Post
I'm sorry your LSS is closing. You're lucky, however, that you even had one to begin with. Within a 25-mile radius of my home, we have two Michael's (the second just opened last fall), a very unkempt Ben Franklin, and a locally-owned store that caters to all crafts (not just stamping and scrapbooking) and that employs some of the rudest clerks I've ever encountered. There are also the craft departments at Wal-Mart and Target.

So, unfortunately, for me there are few options other than buying off the internet (well, besides Stampin' Up and other direct sales companies!). I've heard too many people voice disappointment with acrylic stamps, so I haven't gone that route yet. I have several unmounted rubber alphabet sets from Purple Onion Designs. Eat Cake Graphics has cute images that are available either as unmounted or wood-mounted. I've recently discovered Lizzie Anne Designs, which I really like because their images are good quality rubber, already trimmed with cling attached, so they are ready to just put on a block and stamp.

Anng97, if you don't mind my asking, in what part of Virginia do you live?
The store that is closing is in Fredericksburg, Virginia. Luckily we still have another one that is in business. The reason they are closing is personal (family matters) and not the economy so hopefully the other store will stay in business.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2008, 06:59 AM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

I teach at a LSS, well it is like 45 minutes away and another LSS close to them is closing and the reason is because the companies are constantly coming out with new items to close together and it is hard to keep up with it when you still have old stock.

The other store wants to sell the business but she made it clear that the store doesn't generate enough business to collect a payroll. Bad thing I say because who would want a store where you can't do even a small payroll and always dish out the money.

Now for one store where I teach (I teach at 2 LSS and travel sometimes to far away stores to teach) she has things from 3 years ago and the items are still out and people still come in to buy. She has no back stockroom so what you see is what you get and she has survived 6 years. She doesn't do mail orders though.

Now for the main store where I teach they have a system that when new papers, embellishments, stamps, etc., come in they put them out, remove the old and put them on the table for 60% off. This system works for them and they are constantly getting new things in every week. They also have mail orders and if you don't see it they say right on their website to contact them as it may be in the store and the best is FREE shipping on orders over $50.00 no matter where you live as they ship all around the world. People like this.

TA
http://carbonescorner.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2008, 09:28 PM   #22  
Compulsive Stamper

Look at Inque Boutique's website for unmounted rubber stamps. They have some of the best prices on the market for their mini sets.

As for LSS's closing, it is very sad. I own a store and have one year left on my lease. I am hoping after the election the economy will improve. And it is hard to compete against HL and Michaels. A lot of customers have me special orders things for them and that has kept me afloat and it keeps the money locally without having to buy on the internet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2008, 11:08 PM   #23  
Compulsive Stamper

What does LSS stand for?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2008, 11:29 PM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

i believe it means "local stamping store"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2008, 05:56 AM   #25  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've seen a lot of stamping and scrapbooking stores (and other crafts!) fold in the past 10 years.

I think the fact that so many people shop online--and there are more and more online stamp businesses all of the time--fewer go to LSS. When they do, they want those 40% off discounts that the big box stores can offer because of negotiating might with vendors.

Wouldn't it be nice if some vendors only offered their items to small local businesses? Sigh...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2008, 07:53 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Depending on your style, Impression Obsession has some fabulous unmounted stamps. Their site is here:

http://www.impression-obsession.com/

What I like about their site is that you can choose mounted or unmounted. It lets you choose when you click on the image.

Sibylle
Reply With Quote Likes