Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-08-2005, 11:03 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does anyone else NOT do Christmas or Chanukah cards?

Not asking about your religious practices or preferences here, but wondered if anyone else out there doesn't send Christmas/Chanukah cards? Will I see anything else in the galleries during November and December, or should I just plan to take a two month break from SCS (except for the forums)? No offense meant. I just can't handle Christmas non-stop starting right after Halloween.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2005, 11:29 AM   #2  
Forum Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueheron
I just can't handle Christmas non-stop starting right after Halloween.
After Hallowe'en? Some stores in our area started stocking Christmas stuff in *August*! Our Michaels also started stocking Hallowe'en stuff in August, and one of the staffers told me it was so people had more opportunities to use their 40% off coupons on them (which to me means that Mike's is jacking up their prices to make up the difference).

I won't just be making Xmas cards (I only make one style a year anyways) but I am too shy to start up a gallery even though I already have a bunch of photos of projects I've made.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2005, 11:44 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

No Wa-a-a-ay should you hold off any longer on starting a gallery. This is not competition. This is sharing ideas. You never know when a color combination, layout, or something else about what you did with a card will spark an idea in someone else. You MUST (pretty please?) share with us. If you don't know how to get started, it is extremely easy and I or anyone else here would be glad to walk you through it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2005, 11:57 AM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

Wink

There will be a lot of other cards in the gallery! People are still going to need cards to celebrate all the other occassions in their lives. Of course, there will be plenty of holiday cards, too. People who have a lot to send out kind of have to start early in order to get them done in time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2005, 12:03 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Yes, there will be still be other kinds of cards. But, although you aren't interested in Christmas cards, you might still get ideas that can be adapted to another use. A technique, layout, color combo, etc.

My gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2005, 01:13 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

No Wa-a-a-ay should you hold off any longer on starting a gallery. This is not competition. This is sharing ideas. You never know when a color combination, layout, or something else about what you did with a card will spark an idea in someone else. You MUST (pretty please?) share with us. If you don't know how to get started, it is extremely easy and I or anyone else here would be glad to walk you through it.
Yabut (or, to use better grammar, yes but) some of us mostly CASE, and don't want to start a gallery 'cause it has probably already been in there by someone else.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2005, 04:19 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparksdm
Yabut (or, to use better grammar, yes but) some of us mostly CASE, and don't want to start a gallery 'cause it has probably already been in there by someone else.
Okay -- so it is a challenge to you to not CASE exactly everything--use a different stamp set or different colors. THEN post. As you get more comfortable with coming up with your own ideas, post those, too. If you CASE something, give credit to the person whose card you CASED. They will be flattered. And just because someone else has posted a card here doesn't mean that everyone has seen it -- so your CASE may be the only version they see. Believe me, once you start getting positive comments from people about what you post, you will start becoming more confident about sharing your OWN work.

Now -- back to the Christmas/Chanukah card issue...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2005, 04:21 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Consultants will get to pre-order from the winter mini starting Nov. 1st. Customers will be able to order from the winter mini starting Dec. 1st. There won't be any holiday (except maybe valentine's) sets in the winter mini, since it's Dec., Jan., and Feb. There will be TONS of new samples that aren't holiday during that time period. Fear not!

Kate
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2005, 06:16 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am only making Chritmas Cards because I am a demo, and I need to demo them, because most people celebrate Christmas. My personal cards that I send out around holiday time will be seasonal in nature.

If I had a customer base that celebrated Chanukah, I would demo Chanukah cards, also, but I don't.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2005, 02:37 AM   #10  
Failed Lurker

Quote:

Not asking about your religious practices or preferences here, but wondered if anyone else out there doesn't send Christmas/Chanukah cards? Will I see anything else in the galleries during November and December, or should I just plan to take a two month break from SCS (except for the forums)? No offense meant. I just can't handle Christmas non-stop starting right after Halloween.
I send Christmas cards but only make a handful (for my "A" list friends and relatives ;) ) so I won't be posting many! And, being a totally disorganised type, I certainly won't be MAKING any till about Dec 20th!

I think a Christmassy gallery is inevitable, though - demos need to make Christmas cards early to inspire their customers to buy the sets. And who can resist playing with a new set? Can you do a "minus search" like on Google, where you put -Christmas so the gallery will give you everything BUT Christmas stuff?

Helen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2005, 06:41 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

We usually do a winter-themed New Year's card & newsletter. We don't have family near and only end up with a dozen or so photos for solstice/santa present opening, so I don't even use many Christmas-y stamps in my scrapbooking. I find generic winter stamp sets are more useful to me. But I get inspiration from the colors and styles and embellishments even when the stamp doesn't appeal to me.

Alyson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2005, 06:57 AM   #12  
Forum Fanatic

I do a few yule cards but my concentration is HALLOWEEN stuff. I don't celebrate Christmas or Chanaka, so why should I make other people cards? Why should I buy sets to make other people cards for their holiday???? For my family I sent Winter Solstice cards to reitterate that I don't celebrate Christmas. They still don't get it and it's been 5 years now where my cards say "Blessed Winter" rather than Merry Christmas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2005, 09:13 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Bah Humbug! ;)

Just teasing... I would think if you can't stand to see the Christmas cards, then take 2 month break and come back when it's over. lol!

Christmas is a MAJOR holiday, so of course it's going to be everywhere... ;) 'Tis the season!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2005, 04:46 AM   #14  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin'momof3
Bah Humbug! ;)
AMEN!! JK

Quote:

;) 'Tis the season!
The season should start after Thanksgiving, not 6 months before.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2005, 05:05 AM   #15  
Failed Lurker

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kymbers_Stampin
The season should start after Thanksgiving, not 6 months before.
I agree. And I think it should be illegal for shops to have "Back to School" posters before the school holidays have even started. It's just cruel.

Don't have this problem any more, as I make my cards, of course... but I used to find it near impossible to buy a birthday card in November/December. Why? People are born all year round!

Kymbers, you've made me think - I now feel hypocritical for sending "Merry Christmas" cards to people... so will try to borrow "Happy Winter" this year. I suppose old habits die hard.

Helen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2005, 07:44 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Bah Humbug!
Well, actually, yes. My sisters know that I don't "do" Christmas, so two years ago (before I started stamping) I used one of those greeting cards computer programs to make some "Bah, Humbug" cards with goofy looking bugs with frowns. Even though they celebrate Christmas, they LOVED my non-Christmas cards. LOL.

I much prefer to send a Winter-themed card sometime in December or January (see--timing doesn't matter) reflecting on the good things I wish for a person in the New Year (or maybe for those who had a bad year, something like "Whew! This bad year is over--hoping this new one brings you the joy you deserve" or something like that.) Sometimes I don't send any cards at all at that time of year--but sends cards at other times "just because."
Reply With Quote Likes