Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-06-2005, 06:55 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Nursing Home

Hey y'all~

I have started stamping at a nursing home. I don't want to do anything really difficult.

So far I was thinking we could make:

a bookmark
a door hanger
a domino pin
a coaster

Any other ideas for really simple cards (no cutting) or projects?

Thanks for your help!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2005, 07:05 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

My downline and I have been doing this at a local nursing home for a few months. We mostly make cards with them. Everything is precut and prestamped, and we help them to glue/stick the cards together. We provide envelopes too. One of the ladies who definitely has her wits about her, but the rest of her doesnt work so well, told us that she loved that we make cards, since she likes to send them but is unable to get to the store to get some. I definitely think it is easier to have everything prestamped. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2005, 11:38 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

You need to remember that a lot of these people don't have much upper body strength, and can't put much force into stamping. Sometimes actually holding a stamp can be difficult due to arthritis. Things just get more difficult with age, even things that seem simple. And then when it gets too hard, it becomes frustrating.

I love Wendy's suggestion of stamping the cards before you go, then having them do the assembly. These folks grew up in a time when it was expected that people would write to one another. They would be absolutely thrilled with cards. And once you are into a little more & learn what your residents can do, you can break out the more advanced projects.

My mom worked in a nursing home for several years, so I've seen the different levels of ability. My grandmother is currently in a home. I love her dearly, but God help any demo who tried to stamp with her! She'd probably chuck a stamp right at their head because she'd get so frustrated!

Best of luck to you! You are a dear for bringing a little sunshine to these people's lives!

My itty bitty gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2005, 11:42 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

I just thought of something else. Something that would be really simple for them to stamp would be some monogrammed note cards. Just take a larger alphabet, and they could stamp one letter (or all 3) on 3-5 cards, and have a set of personal note cards to send out.

My itty bitty gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2005, 03:24 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I think the domino might be tough. I'd stick to cards. I think they will like working with bigger images & layers. The door hanger is a neat idea to differentiate their doors from the rest. Good luck with it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2005, 03:45 AM   #6  
Crimping Master

I would also try to have a lot of things prestamped, but I would also bring a sentiment set (like sincere salutations) so that they can choose what sentiment they would like to put on the card. Being able to send a friend or relaitive an appropriate card for a birthday or other occasion it important to those who don't have easy access to things like cards. Don't forget, these people are from the letter writing/card sending generation so I think they will love your projects. Good for you for doing this!!!

My stuff (I think I am starting to get the hang of this obsession!):
http://gallery.splitcoaststampers.co...00&ppuser=7739
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2005, 05:49 AM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

I have worked in a nursing home for 5 years now. A local lady comes there to stamp cards with the residents and there are a few who can not manage to stamp the image but love to see her stamp it and watch the beauty of the card come together. I think you should have everything precut and such but show them the stamping part. Since that is truly what makes the card. Christmas cards are a great thing to make with them and then one of us girls usually helps them fill out the card and address the envelope and get them sent off to whomever they wish. They all truly enjoy this at the nursing home I work at. I do think the domino thing would be alittle too much I would stick to cards, bookmarks. That kinda things. Most of these people have dimentia and or physically something else wrong with them and not much attention span.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2005, 07:50 AM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

Wink

Another thought I had was to let them pick the design of the pin and we could do the rest. I have arthritus also, and most of them could move better than I could. I also have two other ladies there helping.

That assembly line sounds like a good idea. For October, we are doing a fall 6x6 scrapbook page. Everything will be pre-cut and ready to go.

Thanks for the ideas so far.
Reply With Quote Likes