Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-05-2008, 08:10 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Design Team Questions

So for those of you who have been accepted onto stamp company design teams...

How many times did you try out before you were accepted? What types of projects did you submit? What tips do you have for newbies? Are there any companies that will actually give someone a chance who has not already been on another design team?

It just seems that there's a core group of the same people who just keep getting on more design teams.... and I feel like I must be doing something wrong to not be able to get there. I feel totally discouraged, and now am beginning to wonder if I'm just not a good stamper.

Please, anyone give me tips--what should I be doing? I don't want to give up yet, but if there's really no hope of a newbie ever breaking into the "business" I don't want to keep banging my head against a brick wall.

Thanks in advance!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2008, 08:24 AM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

When I brought on my original design team, only one of them was actually on another design team. My last group of design team members had a couple gals who hadn't been on any other design teams as well.

There is absolutely plenty of "hope" for a newbie. With that being said, make sure you photos are top notch! Great photos can make all the difference. Also, make sure you projects are "finished." Look at it again and make sure that a couple of brads or a nice piece of ribbon wouldn't add just the right finishing touch.

Most of all, don't give up. We got so many submissions for our last call that we were swimming with applications. And a company can only choose so many designers. The difference can be something very small and next time around, you could be the one. So don't give up!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2008, 08:25 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

The ones who kept getting asked, or on more and more teams, I think are really good. They've been posting their work here on SCS quite a bit, they have many SCS friends (most likely the companies already know these people before they started the business), very inspirational to many, and I think they deserve it.

You just have to keep trying if that's one of your goal. I love to stamp, if I try and got a position, then it's great. If not, at least I tried, and either wait for the next time or do something else.

Happily designing for WPlus9 and CSS stamps, Waltzingmouse sketch, Scarlet Lime kit club, and the Digichick Card Caravan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2008, 08:26 AM   #4  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh my goodness....don't give up!! seriously! Your work is awesome! my advise is to keep learning, practicing and trying!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2008, 08:35 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

I believe there is LOTS of hope for deisgners who are not already members of a design team! In fact, as the owner of a new stamp company, I would love to have 'uninitiated' DT members as part of my team so we can learn and grow together. To me it is more important the the designers work well with our style of stamps, can keep to a deadline and have something unique to bring to the group...not how many companies they design for!

Last edited by Jovi; 06-05-2008 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: dt announcement
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2008, 08:38 AM   #6  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I know what you mean about the "ususal suspects" being on multiple design teams. I think that's because those people usually have very popular blogs and a strong presence in the stamping community. If the stamp companies can tap that already existing audience, it's that much more exposure for their products.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2008, 08:54 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

jessica- love your work and your blog.
i would also add your photos of your projects are stunning. clear,crisp and bright. i know this is something else in your favor!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2008, 08:59 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Thanks for all your responses so quickly! I TOTALLY am not saying anything bad about the people who are on multiple design teams. I know they are incredibly talented, and I am only one of thousands who stalk their blogs! :-) And I get why a stamp company would want to have those people on board, because then they are getting huge exposure to an already devoted following. But, even they had to start somewhere, and so that is really what I'm asking--how does one get started, and are there companies that don't only go for established designers?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2008, 09:15 AM   #9  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I applied for 4 Design Teams. And I got excepted onto two Teams.

I answered all the questions that the company was wanting to know. And sent them links to all my artworks. Sent in (via email) my work. And sat and waited.

When I got a email from Jessica Lynn, from Jessica Lynn Originals Clear Stamps. I just about fell out of my Chair!

I was totally Excited.... I almost couldn't believe it.:o

And then I tried out for another Design Team. And got accepted again.

This one is for Clear and Simple Stamps.

One thing I would say to you. If you don't get on a team.. Keep trying.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2008, 09:55 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jezirusView Post
But, even they had to start somewhere, and so that is really what I'm asking--how does one get started, and are there companies that don't only go for established designers?
Yes. CHF's last DT call was specifically for 'Fresh Faces'. Not everyone who made the team was a complete DT newbie I don't think but a lot were. If CHF did it, maybe other companies will do it too.

I just completed a month-long guest slot with Crafty Secrets and I had no DT experience to offer so I'm sure I wasn't asked because I was in any way 'established' in a DT community. Keep plugging away if it's a goal for you - you'll get there.

Just remembered - Lisa Strahl did a series of blog posts for aspiring DTers a while ago, I'll see if I can find it for you.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2008, 09:59 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

OK, found it - the first post on the topic is here and then you should be able to move through the others that Lisa did. some interesting thoughts on the hows and whys. HTH!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2008, 10:09 AM   #12  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Stamping and papercraft companies are not exclusively looking for designers currently on a lot of design teams. In fact, for some companies a designer with too many commitments will not be the best option. They are looking for designers with talent, the ability to think out of the box, the ability to work well with others, the ability to be flexible, perhaps work in a variety of styles or types of projects, the ability to make quick deadlines etc. For some companies, especially in the scrapbooking market...the ability to work on publishing designs is also a plus. If you are looking to be part of a design team, first review your strengths and time commitments. Taking on too much to soon is not a great way to handle things...you make get stressed and find yourself taking on too much. Find a company whose product you really like and would love to work for. After all, designing can be hard work and you want to be able to enjoy it. You also want to be a good fit. If you'd like to work with a particular company, my suggestion is to buy that company's product and use it. Upload to their gallery if they have one and take part in their community. This gives them a chance to get to know you and your style and to easily see how your designs would fit in with their current team.

Good luck and keep trying! Some design goals take longer than others but if you are really serious about them...the more you try, the better.

I also have the link from Lisa who said I could share it here....

http://www.monalisamoments.com/mona_...les/index.html

Hope this helps!
Julia
Design Team Coordinator for Cornish Heritage Farms

I design for ... Ellen Hutson LLC, & Maya Road

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2008, 10:27 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It can help to bear in mind that any time a DT opening or Team Call is announced, literally hundreds, possibly thousands apply; there are only so many positions on any given team, and many will not make it because they just didn't meet the need or fit the company was looking for, not necessarily because the quality of their work wasn't up to snuff.

Previous or past DT work would NOT be a consideration factor for us, and I suspect that's true for many others.

Also, a number of companies prefer to work with exclusive designers, as opposed to those on multiple DTs.

Our creative team(s) are full at this time. But, if we were looking, here are some crucial factors that we would examine closely:
  • Demonstrates pre-existing familiarity, vested interest, and genuine love of our product line(s)
  • Clear, crisp photography
  • Overall consistency of quality (no smudges, straight layers, clean cuts, attention to detail)
  • Ability to execute designs in a manner consistent with our company's style
  • Cleverness of design (use of images, and other products in the line, ability to think outside-the-box)
  • Flexibility/ability to meet deadlines, sometimes tight ones
  • Exclusivity
  • Professionalism
HTH, and best of luck to you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2008, 11:31 AM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

I probably have one of the most bizarre examples of how a mediocre stamper like myself ended up on a design team...I happened to attend the same church AND the same Bible Study as Beth, the creator of The Saltbox Studio. We're both primitive country junkies and we became fast friends...totally a God thing. I will say that being on a DT is a lot of fun, but it's also a big time commitment....crafting, photography, blogging, submissions to publications. And then there are other aspects to it, such as consistency, brand loyalty and conflict of interests. I'm not sure how the folks who are on multiple DTs do it.

I think that if you consistenly visit and comment on some blogs of certain companies, it kind of makes your presence known. And it never hurts to just approach a company and ask them to keep you in mind!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2008, 11:40 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryroseView Post
I probably have one of the most bizarre examples of how a mediocre stamper like myself ended up on a design team...I happened to attend the same church AND the same Bible Study as Beth, the creator of The Saltbox Studio. We're both primitive country junkies and we became fast friends...totally a God thing. I will say that being on a DT is a lot of fun, but it's also a big time commitment....crafting, photography, blogging, submissions to publications. And then there are other aspects to it, such as consistency, brand loyalty and conflict of interests. I'm not sure how the folks who are on multiple DTs do it.

I think that if you consistenly visit and comment on some blogs of certain companies, it kind of makes your presence known. And it never hurts to just approach a company and ask them to keep you in mind!
Indeed, yes! Those are great points to include as well, Mary Rose!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2008, 01:27 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Please don't give up, if "new" people don't apply then we will surely see the same faces over and over.There are plenty of us on DT's that have only been on 1 or a few, so you don't have to be a SUPER star to make it.

To answer your questions:

I have applied for 6 design teams and been accepted by 3. When I apply for something it's because I LOVE the products and I WANT to be with them. I have also submitted around 30 items to magazines and have only 1 card being published. I've also participated in guest designer challenges with even more rejection.

We both applied to the same DT recently and this was my 2nd time trying out.......I got rejected AGAIN. Yes it was sad, but I LOVE the items I made for my submission so to me it doesn't really matter, because I made stuff that rocks MY socks!

When I apply I usually submit several different styles or items to show variety but that still highlight me.

There is a LOT more rejection than acceptance. But when you DO get accepted for something you love and get to work with awesome people then it is worth it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2008, 01:44 PM   #17  
Gabfest Goddess

Go E-beth!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2008, 01:46 PM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Hi Gina!:-D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gina K. DesignsView Post
Go E-beth!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2008, 01:51 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

This is very interesting! I'm not that familiar with everything but is there other payoffs to being on a design team other than prestige?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2008, 04:41 PM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by annascreationsView Post
This is very interesting! I'm not that familiar with everything but is there other payoffs to being on a design team other than prestige?
Typically, free product to play with is the big incentive!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2008, 05:20 PM   #21  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

How many times did you try out before you were accepted? What types of projects did you submit? What tips do you have for newbies? Are there any companies that will actually give someone a chance who has not already been on another design team?

It just seems that there's a core group of the same people who just keep getting on more design teams.... and I feel like I must be doing something wrong to not be able to get there. I feel totally discouraged, and now am beginning to wonder if I'm just not a good stamper.

Please, anyone give me tips--what should I be doing? I don't want to give up yet, but if there's really no hope of a newbie ever breaking into the "business" I don't want to keep banging my head against a brick wall.

Thanks in advance!
No advice, but I am right there with you! It's frustrating, isn't it. But if we don't keep trying, we really will never make it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2008, 06:58 PM   #22  
Glitter Guru

Hi Jess! I just applied for one too (same one as you) and didn't make it. At first I was really sad, but I know that there were so many people that tried out and only so many can get picked. I know that we just need to keep trying and eventually something will click and it will be at just the right time for us, too! Keep your head up, I know how you feel. I just think that everybody has something to offer and has that certain something that is special about their work. Don't give up, I know I'm gonna keep trying when the opportunities arise, so you should too . Something eventually is bound to work for you. Just know that you are awesome! Have faith in yourself, too. Blessings, Jessica <3
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2008, 08:36 PM   #23  
Insane Embellisher

I'm by no means an expert on design teams-- I've never been on a DT nor even applied for one except for a few guest challenges here or there-- but I wanted to add one thing I've noticed: many people who are chosen for DT have a distinctive style of stamping or crafting which I think is appealing to the coordinators or company owners. They seem to be looking for someone who can bring a fresh approach and unique angle to their products that other members of the team don't already have.

I think it's like anything... persistence is key. Just keep trying and continue to grow as an artist. In the meantime, just keep enjoying stamping merely for the fun of stamping and that enthusiasm will definitely shine through in your projects! HTH and good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2008, 08:46 PM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Coordinator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 171 Likes on 130 Posts

Oh this thread has been so interesting and full of wonderful info!!! Thank you so much!!! And you are not alone in how you feel!!! So if you don't give up, I won't either, okay??!!! We'll just keep on trying together!!! Thanks for being brave enough to start this topic!! I'm off to go browse your gallery now!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2008, 05:06 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Just one more observation about DT's. I'm not on one, nor have I applied because I know with soon to be 3 kids under age of three it is not feasible for me, but I do have several friends on various DT's.

One of the main things I notice is not only a unique style, but also individual creativity. Doing a lot of sketch challenges is a great way to practice your skills, but I think companies want to know that you can create on your own as well.

Also, as someone else mentioned there are "finishing touches" that can make a card go from nice to stunning. I know that is an area where I am personally lacking. If you look at some of the "Super Stampers" they seem to just have that one extra element that sets their cards apart. It could be as simple as the use of a ticket corner punch, paper piercing, the way an image is colored or even just sponging around the edges.

HTH! Keep trying and keep growing
Old 06-06-2008, 06:09 AM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

One thing I can suggest is to take good pictures of your cards/projects. That is important! Make it look as good as it really is! Also, follow ALL of the directions on the design team call application!!

I know that many companies are actually LOOKING for new talent! And lots of variety of styles. I think it is important for companies to let customers see all of the different kinds of things you can do with the same products.

HTH!

Last edited by Jeanne S; 06-07-2008 at 09:29 PM.. Reason: Removed DT call
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2008, 06:35 AM   #27  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by krystie leeView Post
I know what you mean about the "ususal suspects" being on multiple design teams. I think that's because those people usually have very popular blogs and a strong presence in the stamping community. If the stamp companies can tap that already existing audience, it's that much more exposure for their products.

All I can say to you Krystie is, I have always thought you were "the diva". Seriously, I have been in amazment since the first time I saw your work.. I visit your gallery and blog ALOT! You rock!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2008, 07:16 AM   #28  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamiehurleyView Post
All I can say to you Krystie is, I have always thought you were "the diva". Seriously, I have been in amazment since the first time I saw your work.. I visit your gallery and blog ALOT! You rock!
Ha! Diva, that's funny. You're so sweet, what a nice comment to stumble on first thing in the morning! You totally made my day, thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2008, 07:29 AM   #29  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamiehurleyView Post
And, a "Dirty Diva", at that, too! ;)

:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2008, 09:01 PM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

Jessica, I checked out your blog and you do really nice work! I just wanted to tell you that there is hope. Hang in there....your joy for stamping shows....don't give up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2008, 02:21 AM   #31  
Gabfest Goddess

Jessica, I love your work! Just keep trying girl! I have tried out for zillions of teams since about 2005 or so. You must be true to your style. Don't change because you think you need to look like someone else. Sometimes you just never know what they are looking for. I have been blessed to be DT Coordinator for two sites, and I must say that we look for many things not just style. A lot of things have already been mentioned. And I know when I picked my DT for my sketch blog, I didn't even have a call. I hand selected people I know. You never know when someone may just pick you because they know you, love your style, and love who you are. Just because someone can make amazing designs doesn't mean they will make a great team member. I have seen many things being on the other side. So, just keep being you, keep submitting, and it will happen girlie!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2008, 02:58 AM   #32  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by identicaltripletsView Post
Jessica, I love your work! Just keep trying girl! I have tried out for zillions of teams since about 2005 or so. You must be true to your style. Don't change because you think you need to look like someone else. Sometimes you just never know what they are looking for. I have been blessed to be DT Coordinator for two sites, and I must say that we look for many things not just style. A lot of things have already been mentioned. And I know when I picked my DT for my sketch blog, I didn't even have a call. I hand selected people I know. You never know when someone may just pick you because they know you, love your style, and love who you are. Just because someone can make amazing designs doesn't mean they will make a great team member. I have seen many things being on the other side. So, just keep being you, keep submitting, and it will happen girlie!
Thanks, Patter, and everyone else for your words of encouragement. I'm just going to keep stamping, keep being thrilled with *most* of the things I create, and hopefully someday my dream of being on a DT will come true!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2008, 04:49 AM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

I don't have anything else fabulous or profound to say, other than all the wonderful advice already shared - but I especially echo the advice about PHOTOS. . .I think that's made a big difference for me (and my photos are not anything fancy or wonderful - but better than they used to be!!!) And really, and truly - just don't give up. Be persistent, and stick with it. I am not even sure how many design teams I have applied for, (some stampy, and some scrappy) but I realized that with each application process, I got better and better - refining my bio, the work that I submitted, etc.

I have spent some time REALLY studying the work of people who I admire, some of which are pubbed alllll the time, and on a ton of DT's, and some not -and tried to identify what I loved about their work. I found ideas to try, and thought about what makes their work stand out from others. I think that has really helped me grow - not because I have copied their work, but because it helps me think through the projects I am working on, and i piece together little bits of ideas of this and that, and create it into my own thing. If we are constantly working on perfecting our craft. . ..good things WILL happen - sometimes it just takes a while. Your work IS beautiful, and I think that if you are persistent, and just keep putting yourself out there, an opportunity that is PERFECT for you is going to arrive at your doorstep!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2008, 04:58 AM   #34  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

You are getting some wonderful advice here! I was exactly where you are not so long ago, wondering "What am I doing wrong?" I applied for a couple of open calls and solicited a couple of people I knew were putting teams together, but got nothing. (Fortunately, I'm a writer who has peddled a couple of books and has been rejected literally hundreds of times, so the sting of that doesn't deter me anymore. But in the beginning? Oh, how that hurt! How could that person not love something I put my heart and soul into that I knew was good?! A good writer friend gave me some great advice that really helped me put it into perspective. He said, "It doesn't mean you're not good. They're just not your tribe. It's nothing personal. Your job is to find your tribe, you know?")

I know that for at least one of the teams I'm on, the owner gets asked by multiple people every single day for a spot on her DT. There simply isn't room right now, but if she likes the person's work, she keeps an eye on them, and when there is an opening, who knows? So sometimes the rejection is purely a matter of numbers. You will probably have the best luck with a newer company.

Also, there are a lot of companies these days with Guest Designer contests each month -- several of the member companies have them, so start submitting to some of those. A Guest Designer spot is a great thing to have on your stamping 'resume' when you go out there and are trying to hustle a spot on a permanent team. Additionally, sometimes when you're a guest designer, the company owner develops such a fondness for you and/or your work that she decides she'd like to keep you on permanently. Happens all the time! And if a company you really love doesn't have a guest designer contest? Just email the owner with links/attachments of your work and see if she might be interested in you doing a guest spot. You never know until you ask. I promise you, they aren't going to come to you -- you have to go to them!

Anyway, one of the things I realized is that with everything I applied for early on, I showed work using other companies images. Now it seems like a big, fat "DUH!" to me, but I think you'll have a lot better luck if you get yourself good and familiar with the images of a company and show the powers that be how your talents can rock their stamps! Also, I would caution you not to apply for any and every DT call just for the sake of getting on a team. After the newness of getting on a team has worn off, if you don't love the images you're working with, it will become a drag because you'd rather be using your precious stamping time playing with something else. I think you can tell when a designer is having a great time with the stamps because his/her stuff just sparkles with joy. If I owned a stamp company, that's what I would be looking for in a designer, and it wouldn't matter a whit to me if that person had DT experience or not. Remember, everyone always wants fresh, new talent and would love to be the one who discovers the next JulieHRR or any of dozens of names we all know and admire. That just might be you!

Good luck, and I promise, if you persevere you will find your tribe(s).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2008, 05:03 AM   #35  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

One more thing: getting that first spot is always the hardest! After that, I think people unconsciously go, "Oh, well, if she's good enough for XYZ..." KWIM? ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2008, 07:32 AM   #36  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by TruCarMaView Post
You are getting some wonderful advice here! I was exactly where you are not so long ago, wondering "What am I doing wrong?" I applied for a couple of open calls and solicited a couple of people I knew were putting teams together, but got nothing. (Fortunately, I'm a writer who has peddled a couple of books and has been rejected literally hundreds of times, so the sting of that doesn't deter me anymore. But in the beginning? Oh, how that hurt! How could that person not love something I put my heart and soul into that I knew was good?! A good writer friend gave me some great advice that really helped me put it into perspective. He said, "It doesn't mean you're not good. They're just not your tribe. It's nothing personal. Your job is to find your tribe, you know?")

I know that for at least one of the teams I'm on, the owner gets asked by multiple people every single day for a spot on her DT. There simply isn't room right now, but if she likes the person's work, she keeps an eye on them, and when there is an opening, who knows? So sometimes the rejection is purely a matter of numbers. You will probably have the best luck with a newer company.

Also, there are a lot of companies these days with Guest Designer contests each month -- several of the member companies have them, so start submitting to some of those. A Guest Designer spot is a great thing to have on your stamping 'resume' when you go out there and are trying to hustle a spot on a permanent team. Additionally, sometimes when you're a guest designer, the company owner develops such a fondness for you and/or your work that she decides she'd like to keep you on permanently. Happens all the time! And if a company you really love doesn't have a guest designer contest? Just email the owner with links/attachments of your work and see if she might be interested in you doing a guest spot. You never know until you ask. I promise you, they aren't going to come to you -- you have to go to them!

Anyway, one of the things I realized is that with everything I applied for early on, I showed work using other companies images. Now it seems like a big, fat "DUH!" to me, but I think you'll have a lot better luck if you get yourself good and familiar with the images of a company and show the powers that be how your talents can rock their stamps! Also, I would caution you not to apply for any and every DT call just for the sake of getting on a team. After the newness of getting on a team has worn off, if you don't love the images you're working with, it will become a drag because you'd rather be using your precious stamping time playing with something else. I think you can tell when a designer is having a great time with the stamps because his/her stuff just sparkles with joy. If I owned a stamp company, that's what I would be looking for in a designer, and it wouldn't matter a whit to me if that person had DT experience or not. Remember, everyone always wants fresh, new talent and would love to be the one who discovers the next JulieHRR or any of dozens of names we all know and admire. That just might be you!

Good luck, and I promise, if you persevere you will find your tribe(s).
The guest designer thing is so true. I can't believe how many guest designers for Gina K. have gone on to design for lots of other companies but when they were a Guest designer for us, they had yet to be on a team.

Many company owners read other company owners blogs and that might be the first time they actually get to see a talented guest designer all by his or herself. Talent occassionally gets lost when it's among 500 other talented submission pieces, KWIM?

Adding someone as a guest designer also allows the company owner to work with you in a more special way and gives them a chance to get to know you personally. Even if they don't have any opening, they will remember a good experience for when they do have other opportunities available.

Best of luck to all of you who are submitting and don't give up.
HUugs,
Gina K.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2008, 10:49 AM   #37  
Mad Swapper

You have gotten some fantastic advice! I can only echo their sentiments and to say keep trying! Believe in yourself and create because you love to do it. The projects where your heart is truly invested in are the ones where your talent shines. The right opportunity will come to you.

I have seen many posts for scrapbooking design teams, that might be something to consider, especially since you have your beautiful young son for inspiration! How do you find out which companies are looking for design teams?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2008, 01:12 PM   #38  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess (Retired)

Received 82 Likes on 45 Posts

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
I'm resurrecting this thread because I'm seriously discouraged and have many of the same questions as Jess, the original poster.

In addition to how many times do I have to try and what else can I do to make myself better...I have more questions:

Maybe it's not that I have to be better but I need to change my style?

Why do stamp companies say that no prior DT experience is needed when most if not all of the people chosen have DT experience? At least that's true with the companies I've been looking at.

Is it because I'm picky? I don't want to be on a DT just to say I'm on a team. I want to really like the line of stamps and their style.

Maybe it's my blog? Maybe I need to be more flashy with links advertising the companies of the products I use?

I have been quite successful at selling my cards. Maybe I should just be happy with that? But I'm not. Where do I go from here when all I want to do is give up?
Limited Supplies, Featured Stamper, Clean & Simple
FS143 / QFTD93 
Past Design Teams: DRS Designs, Rubbernecker  
Past Guest Designer: Gina K Designs 
CAS. Embellished. It's all good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2008, 01:35 PM   #39  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss BooView Post
I'm resurrecting this thread because I'm seriously discouraged and have many of the same questions as Jess, the original poster.

In addition to how many times do I have to try and what else can I do to make myself better...I have more questions:

It may be that they already have one or more designers that share your style, so they may want to bring in a designer with a different take on things.

It may be that your style is not a match with the style the company itself is trying to project; some companies are OK with or embrace your personal style and are fine with it being front and center, and others want a very specific style portrayed for marketing and branding purposes.

Or, it could be they want someone who does shabby, clean contemporary, vintage, etc. all with equal aplomb.

Quote:

Why do stamp companies say that no prior DT experience is needed when most if not all of the people chosen have DT experience? At least that's true with the companies I've been looking at.
Because it may indeed not be necessary at all, but, after reviewing all applicants, the ones they decided to choose happened to have that experience.

Quote:

Is it because I'm picky? I don't want to be on a DT just to say I'm on a team. I want to really like the line of stamps and their style.
Then, I applaud you, because a designer that already has a vested interest in the stamps/product line, uses, and loves them, is what every company would hope for, in addition to their skill.

Quote:

Maybe it's my blog? Maybe I need to be more flashy with links advertising the companies of the products I use?
If you mean, flashing images/logos or blinkies, I would venture to say those tend to annoy more than attract people; visual noise is distracting.

But, I'll be straight forward in that a visually attractive blog can make a significant difference to the individual reviewing your app. And, if you have music that comes on automatically, I would recommend that you take it off or turn it off; it usually bothers a visitor so much, they will not visit again.

Quote:

I have been quite successful at selling my cards. Maybe I should just be happy with that? But I'm not. Where do I go from here when all I want to do is give up?
You really have to be able not to take the rejection personally. I say that with utmost sincerity; this industry is chock full of rejection, and despite it being a little to no-paying type of job (free product is the norm in many cases), competition for DT spots is extremely fierce, and, there are far more applicants that DT spots available.

But, only you can determine if a DT spot is worth remaining persistent through that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2008, 01:48 PM   #40  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss BooView Post

Don't change your style. You have a great style.

Don't wait for a call. Send the company and email, you never know what they will be looking for. Send them links to your gallery and blog.

Don't take it personally. Companies get 100's of inquiries and submissions from people interested in being on DTs.

Keep plugging if it's something you really want. Don't let it suck the fun out of this hobby for you.
Reply With Quote Likes