Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-26-2015, 01:43 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Money Saver Question for the seasoned stampers

Hi there. So I just recently discovered that I am absolutely 100% in love with stamping and card making and so I've been buying "stuff" left and right. I've already spent waaaay too much money so now I'm trying to narrow down the must have list. I've purchased a MISTI (and LOVE it) but in watching videos on YouTube, I see people also using a Fiskars Stamp Press.. My question is, if I have the MISTI, do I even need the stamp press? Are they used for 2 different things? Is the stamp press what was used before the MISTI was invented? I've been watching some videos on grids and guides to help me center my images and sometimes I just try to eye ball it (which is where I think the stamp press would come in handy). I know I still have a lot to learn and need much practice, but I'm also a perfectionist and want my cards to be perfect. Would you recommend the stamp press in addition to the MISTI or should I just stick with the MISTI? Thanks in advance for taking the time to respond ~

Last edited by mistyje32; 04-26-2015 at 01:48 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2015, 01:49 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

I don't have a MISTI but I do have the Stamp a Ma Jig and the Fiskars Stamp Press. I have had both for many years. The stamp press is great but you don't get the exact placement each time on each card. I am ok with that but the MISTI looks great! Right now I have not had the opportunity to see it in person and so I can only wish.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2015, 02:26 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

I would recommend misti only. Also I would recommend creating a "wish list" and buying slowly. It's easy to get overwhelmed. And buying duplicates. I have regretted several purchases. I love my silhouette and feel the misti and silhouette are must have tools
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2015, 05:43 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 298 Likes on 115 Posts

The MISTI easily replaces the stamp press and Stamp-a-ma-jig, in my opinion. I got rid of both after I purchased my MISTI. I agree with the above recommendation to take it slow and do your research before buying everything you THINK you will need or want. For example, try a few alcohol markers or colored pencils or other coloring mediums before you commit to every color. You may find that you favor one over the others, or hate all of them and only want to do stamping that doesn't require coloring. I would also HIGHLY recommend indexing EVERYTHING as you purchase, so you will always know what you have and where it is. There are all kinds of ways to do this, from Excel spreadsheets to apps like Evernote to a binder. Find one that works for you and be diligent! Welcome to our world, and HAVE FUN!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2015, 10:21 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Wahoooooooo! Another stamper!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistyje32View Post
Hi there. So I just recently discovered that I am absolutely 100% in love with stamping and card making and so I've been buying "stuff" left and right. I've already spent waaaay too much money so now I'm trying to narrow down the must have list. I've purchased a MISTI (and LOVE it) but in watching videos on YouTube, I see people also using a Fiskars Stamp Press.. My question is, if I have the MISTI, do I even need the stamp press? Are they used for 2 different things? Is the stamp press what was used before the MISTI was invented? I've been watching some videos on grids and guides to help me center my images and sometimes I just try to eye ball it (which is where I think the stamp press would come in handy). I know I still have a lot to learn and need much practice, but I'm also a perfectionist and want my cards to be perfect. Would you recommend the stamp press in addition to the MISTI or should I just stick with the MISTI? Thanks in advance for taking the time to respond ~
Just wanted to say welcome. Everyone here is so awesome! You are going to love it here.
😃
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2015, 01:52 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thought I would say welcome too. I'm from Sydney Australia and love popping in here and checking out the forum. I have both and dont even look at the Fiskars any more, the Misti does it all. LOVE my Misti. Love to stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2015, 02:24 AM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Received 374 Likes on 222 Posts

Welcome to SCS! I don't think the MISTI works with wood-mounted stamps, but I could be wrong. (I don't have one. ) I use a Stamp-A-Ma-Jig for exact placement with wood-mounted stamps, and I use a Fiskars Stamp Press and acrylic blocks for unmounted clear stamps. Oh, and I also use my S-A-G for unmounted rubber stamps on an acrylic block.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2015, 04:22 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Can't comment on the Misti/Stamp press as I don't use either. I've always worked with a stamp positioner.
Some of the other ideas I would second are making a wish list, and buying slowly. Its very easy to be grabbed by an idea, buy loads of stuff, then a few months down the line you find your taste/style has changed!
Also keeping an inventory. If you do this from day one, and keep it up to date, its way less time consuming than starting it a few months/years down the line, mainly because you are fed up with buying duplicates, . I use Evernote on my tablet & smartphone, that way I always have info on me when I go shopping. I also have Evernote on my main PC,( it will sync to every device you have it installed on, you do not have to re-enter all the info on each device) and made a paper version of my stamp catalogue which I store in a binder. That way I can just flick through the binder of images, rather than going through loads of folders full of stamps, when I need an idea or inspiration.
If you have an LSS handy, I really recommend seeing what tools/gadgets etc you can try before you buy. Tools seem to be a very personal choice- what you love, someone else will hate, and vice versa.
Final recommendation is to carry on doing what you've just done- ask questions on here! Everyone is always so helpful and friendly, and you will get a real 'crafters' opinion of products, rather than the advertising blurb.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2015, 04:32 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

I agree with everyone who has said you don't need the Fiskars stamp press if you have the Misti. The stamp-a-ma-jig can be nice for wood-mounted stamps, but I almost always eyeball it.

As for buying stuff, I would encourage you to take a look at the Buy Sell Trade (BST) forum on this site, and if you like PaperTrey Ink, they have a similar thread on their site. There is no reason to pay full price for older sets. Also, Joann.com routinely has 30-40-50 percent off their stamping supplies and carry a wide variety of stamps and supplies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2015, 05:24 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

The Fiskar's stamp presses never worked for me because the foam "feet" easily moved such that there was no hope of re-stamping an image. At this point, you might think you wouldn't have to re-stamp anything, but down the line you will bless your MISTI all over the place because some stamps are not deeply etched enough to give you a clean image every time, and some ink pads are not "juicy" enough to stamp the entire image the first time. With MISTI, re-stamping exactly on the first image is always the result you can't get any other way that I know of. Even the stamp-a-ma-jig isn't exact enough for re-stamping, every time.

All of us have gobs of stuff we wish we hadn't bought, have Wish Lists miles long, and think there ought to be a 12-step program to free us from our cardmaking addiction.

So welcome. Your first two moves...to buy the MISTI and to come here often.... are the best moves you could make as a novice stamper. Just my opinion of course, but both have saved me lots of frustration and money.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2015, 06:53 AM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

You don't need the MISTI and the stamp press. The MISTI is the newest product on the market and does what the stamp press does only better. If you buy wood mounted stamps along the way then a Stamp-a-am-jig will be needed when precise placement of the image is important.

I agree with all the above advice, and I would add please don't worry about being "perfect". Striving for "perfect" in your crafting is a great way to turn a fun hobby into a frustrating experience. We all want our cards to look great, and "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". So what looks good to me may not look good to the next person. Have fun!! Experiment! Let your creative juices flow!! Sure, you will end up with some paper piling up in the trash can but we all do!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2015, 07:19 AM   #12  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobbyView Post
You don't need the MISTI and the stamp press. The MISTI is the newest product on the market and does what the stamp press does only better. If you buy wood mounted stamps along the way then a Stamp-a-am-jig will be needed when precise placement of the image is important.

I agree with all the above advice, and I would add please don't worry about being "perfect". Striving for "perfect" in your crafting is a great way to turn a fun hobby into a frustrating experience. We all want our cards to look great, and "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". So what looks good to me may not look good to the next person. Have fun!! Experiment! Let your creative juices flow!! Sure, you will end up with some paper piling up in the trash can but we all do!
I agree!

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2015, 07:31 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have friends that stamp? Maybe, you could get together with them and try tools without the pressure of having to buy something.

Another thing, do you have somewhere that offers card making classes - stores or Stampin' Up/Amuse/Close To My Heart, etc. (card party sales). I know you might feel you have to buy but there might be something, not costly, that you could purchase.

Have fun and welcome. This site has many helpful, talented people. Please know there are NO dumb/stupid/silly questions. We have ALL been beginners.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2015, 10:50 AM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Oh wow!! I am overwhelmed right now with all the feedback. This is pretty amazing. THANK YOU ALL soooo much for taking the time to write me back. Wow.. I think I'm gonna love this site. ;) Is it too early to say I think I love you all?? What great advice!! I wish I had friends that stamped or even a store that sold stamp stuff close by but that's a negative to both.. The closest craft store to me is an hour and a half away so I've been purchasing everything online. :( I will absolutely check out the B/S/T section though. Well, thanks again for getting back to me and providing much needed advice. I was really starting to feel overwhelmed!! Every YouTube video I see, I want to duplicate what I'm seeing but need to purchase 10 or more items for each video!! I'm just going to stop watching the videos and start creating with what I have. This is all I think about now though! I wake up and I can't wait to get my son off to school so I can come in my office and start playing (is that bad..?) My house cleaning is suffering because this is all I want to do all day!! It's been so long since I've had a hobby, I just don't even know what to do with myself!! Oh, and I'm not sure if I did this comment right. I was going to try and comment back to each of you individually but I'm not sure that's possible.. I still need to go in and read the getting started post. So hopefully this just goes under all the other comments. T H A N K Y O U L A D I E S ! ! ! !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2015, 12:19 PM   #15  
Forum Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 19 Posts

My first thought when I read the title "seasoned stamper" my mind went to a little pepper and light on the salt. Sorry I had to go there!

Oh honey you are soooo hooked - just like the rest of us!! Welcome to a great hobby.

Another vote for the MISTI. Before you starting buying too much, focus on learning your individual style and know that your style will change. If see something you want to try, shop your own supplies first before buying something. You many find that after you try a new technique you don't really like the effect and then you'll be left with items you don't use. You can find beautiful creations made with minimal supplies.

Oh an be prepared to practice. Some techniques take a while to master but most of all just keep having fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2015, 03:49 PM   #16  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default :)

You sound like me a year ago lol Crafting keeps me sane. Paper crafts rule! I would just try one You Tube project at a time, the one that appeals the most. Try to use as much as you have around the house as you can, but don't hesitate to buy a few unique products as they often make a difference in how a project turns out. Buy just one/smallest container -- it might be more expensive that way but cheaper in the long run if you don't like it. I've recently done that with embossing enamel and crackle paint and what fun to discover I love both. What's old is new again, your trash is my treasure etc. Create everyday and have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2015, 04:58 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 131 Likes on 46 Posts

welcome! Yup, you are SO hooked! When you see a sample you like, think about what you have that would give the same effect. you don't need the exact same stamp set or paper that the originator used. Or even the same embellishment or color scheme. Don't have 1/8 inch black taffeta ribbon? Try black twine, or black grosgrain ribbon or black hem lace, or navy blue 1/8 inch ribbon or even a sliver of dark card stock. That sort of thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2015, 06:45 PM   #18  
Mad Swapper

Welcome Mistyje I have both the Fiskars stamp press and the Misti. You only need the Misti of those two tools.

I second all of the earlier comments, enjoy your newfound hobby!!!

Also, where are you located? If you add that to your profile you may find some other stampers near you that you could get together with and learn some tricks of the trade.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2015, 08:26 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default could you use some goodies? all new

Quote:

Oh wow!! I am overwhelmed right now with all the feedback. This is pretty amazing. THANK YOU ALL soooo much for taking the time to write me back. Wow.. I think I'm gonna love this site. ;) Is it too early to say I think I love you all?? What great advice!! I wish I had friends that stamped or even a store that sold stamp stuff close by but that's a negative to both.. The closest craft store to me is an hour and a half away so I've been purchasing everything online. :( I will absolutely check out the B/S/T section though. Well, thanks again for getting back to me and providing much needed advice. I was really starting to feel overwhelmed!! Every YouTube video I see, I want to duplicate what I'm seeing but need to purchase 10 or more items for each video!! I'm just going to stop watching the videos and start creating with what I have. This is all I think about now though! I wake up and I can't wait to get my son off to school so I can come in my office and start playing (is that bad..?) My house cleaning is suffering because this is all I want to do all day!! It's been so long since I've had a hobby, I just don't even know what to do with myself!! Oh, and I'm not sure if I did this comment right. I was going to try and comment back to each of you individually but I'm not sure that's possible.. I still need to go in and read the getting started post. So hopefully this just goes under all the other comments. T H A N K Y O U L A D I E S ! ! ! !
Never used? Please pm me your address and I will put together a box of goodies to say welcome.
Amber
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2015, 08:42 PM   #20  
Kookie Creator

Welcome. Check out the various forums here at SCS. There are lots of ideas here for indexing/cataloging your stamps, storage and organization of every kind of papercraft supply imaginable, and making do with supplies on hand. Not to mention the "enabling" that goes on: store A has a sale and store B offers free shipping, etc. Enjoy your new hobby.
Dea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2015, 10:30 PM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

mistyje32- BIG WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

I have the Fiskars Stamp Press but not the MISTI. I am not buying the MISTI. Absolutely shocking statement. For the longest time I kept seeing threads about MISTI and I thought it was spray mists. Least I admit these things. The reason I don't want the MISTI is because I stamp on a variety of surfaces other than paper. I stamp on canvas a lot. Since most of my stamping is not on paper this would be a useless tool for me. The Fiskars Stamp Press I can stamp on a variety of surfaces. I am good at eyeballing so I don't need a stamp positioner.

If you stamp on paper get the MISTI. If you stamp on other surfaces look at the Fiskar Stamp Press. If you have trouble lining up images look at the stamp positioners on the market.

My three biggest advices I can give about stamping. Before buying anything look for an alternative or see if you can make it on your own. I really wish I did this when I started stamping. Would have saved a lot of heartache.

A lot of the YouTube videos for stamping the girls are Design Team members for companies or were. They have a lot of things that were given to them. Understandably they will use them because they are required too or it's what they have for their supply list. The videos are still hugely informative but just try to ignore the tools they use and concentrate on the techniques.

Last advice from a perfectionist. You have to let go of perfectionism in stamping. I have seen so many stampers have full burnout trying to reach perfectionism with their cards. It happened to me too. Now, I just let that all go and my projects turn out beautifully.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2015, 02:42 AM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

I've stamped for nine years and I don't have a smj, a stamp press or a Misti. Take time in your purchasing decisions and welcome to the best hobby ever!

Also, I learned lots of what I know by going to Stampin Up classes. Possibly find someone offering classes that are demos for Amuse, Fun Stampers Journey. SU or Close To My Heart. Not sure if CTMH is a class based company.

Just importantly are the friends I've met through going to my SU classes.

Last edited by Allistamps123; 04-28-2015 at 02:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2015, 02:59 AM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
Never used? Please pm me your address and I will put together a box of goodies to say welcome.
Amber
Amber, you ROCK!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2015, 05:21 AM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

I feel like printing all these up and sticking them all over my office. AWESOME advice ladies, thank you!! THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2015, 05:47 PM   #25  
Mad Swapper

Misty-since I've been stamping since 1999, I kind of like to hear new stampers' stories on how they "discovered" this hobby AND what kind (brand/theme/etc) of stamps you gravitate towards. Curious how you came upon this hobby?

I'm a "if it is cute I buy it" kind of girl-regardless of brand... But my tastes sure have evolved over the years.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2015, 08:57 AM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi Sarah!! Well.. It was my both my Mom and Step Dad's Birthday's last month so I wanted my 7 year old son to make them each a card and I had quite a few "crafty" supplies so I thought, why not? I went on YouTube to search easy cards to make and from there, it took off!! I helped him make his 2 and then I figured I might as well make them one too since I had all my stuff out.. (If I knew how to post a pic on here, I'd show you our beautiful mess that day) And that was the beginning of my new obsession! I was so proud of our cards, it was ridiculous! And they were just simple balloon cards, but that was it for me!! I was hooked!! I have some health problems so I get up probably 5 or so times a night and every time I get up, I have to stop myself from going in my office and playing.. I just can't stop thinking about it!! What I've gravitated towards and what I've purchased most of this last month or the Lawn Fawn sets. I just LOVE all the little characters! But I signed up for the Simon Says Stamp monthly kit so I'm getting to try out other avenues as well. Like the May kit was a wedding themed kit which is totally different from the Lawn Fawn's so I excited to play around with that one. For starters, I pretty much just duplicated some cards I found online, just trying to figure out my style, I guess. So now it's time for me to figure out my own creativity. I'm a Libra and all my life my sign has said that I was artistic and creative and I've always thought that maybe I was born in the wrong month or something until now. I've never felt anything quite like this!! I just hope I can be as creative as all these videos I've watched. I just keep thinking, "boy, I never would have thought of that!!"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2015, 11:25 AM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

I have the stamp press and really like it. It works very well for me. To be honest, I like the MISTI but the extreme cheerleading surrounding it and the way it's implied (perhaps unintentionally) that you can't make lovely cards without it turn me off some. It IS a wonderful tool but a lot of the posts about it almost make you feel bad for not having/wanting one. By all means buy one if you think it will be useful to you, but don't buy it just because of the peer pressure and enabling here. :-)

Just my 2 cents, I hope I have not offended anyone. If I have I am truly sorry.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2015, 02:20 PM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

I understand what you're saying Sue. I actually DID purchase it because it was so hyped up. That and the fact that I'm such a newbie, I thought it was a must have. I have used it several times and I know I will in the future so I'm glad I bought it, but I hear what you're saying. Thank you Sue for your feedback. I really appreciate it ~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2015, 03:22 PM   #29  
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Welcome to the obsession, Misty!

As a "seasoned" stamper, I just wanted to pass along some thoughts. If I had followed these myself, I would have saved a ton of money:

1) Is it important to you that you have matching card stock and ink? At first I just bought anything pretty and ended up with a mish mash of supplies. Nothing matched and that bothered me. So I've replaced all my early purchases with a couple of brands of matching card stock and ink.

2) Are you a fan of solid stamping or do you prefer coloring images? If solid stamping is your style, ink will be really important. If you want to color images, you will need colored pencils, markers, watercolors, paints, etc. My preference is Copic markers and I have built my collection slowly. If you will be coloring, you will need to have the correct card stock for that medium.

3) Is a good card base important to you? I use only 110# card stock for my card bases but again, this was a learning experience and I've given away stacks of cheap card stock that didn't meet my needs.

4) One of my most critical purchases was a good paper trimmer. There are many out there and I think I've bought most of them. I recently gave 9 away to Goodwill (accumulated over the years) because they didn't cut straight. My favorite right now is the Fiskars Procision.

Enjoy this wonderful hobby.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2015, 06:51 AM   #30  
Insane Embellisher

Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts

Hi Misty,
Such good advice here on SCS. I wish I had known about this website when I started out card making 15+ years ago. Like a lot of things, basic technique is essential to good outcomes. Learn how to fold an A2 card, in 2 different ways, from a single sheet of cardstock. Find a paper trimmer that works for YOU, and consider investing in a Scor Pal or at least a bone folder. Black dye ink, is the ink I use the most for stamping. If you enjoy heat embossing, you will need pigment ink or versamark or embossing ink, embossing powder, an embossing buddy and a heat tool. Try a few different coloring mediums to find out what you enjoy. Consider just purchasing a few colored pencils, a few markers, a few gelatos etc, to get the feel of it, instead of buying large sets of anything. One thing I was resistant to initially was die cutting. Eventually, I was given a Big Shot and wow, I'm hooked! It's so fun to make die cuts. I use them on many of my cards. You might want to try a shaped punch or two before taking the dive into die cuts. If there are any classes in your area, take them! I attended a free class at the library which led me to a Stampin Up group, but there are also some online classes and there's a tremendous amount of information on you tube. You may find the tutorials on SCS helpful as well. You might start to think very early, about storage and organization tactics. (Believe me, I wish I had!) The best advice, is just to practice. Beautiful cards can be made with re-purposed items or with all new supplies. Welcome to paper crafting!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2015, 12:00 PM   #31  
Rubber Obsessor

So Pat, what companies or brands do you recommend for matching card stock and ink? I have been doing exactly what you said and so I'd like to nip it now before I get carried away. My card stock supply is building rapidly as is my inks but I'd rather do it right from early on.. And I actually just purchased the Neenah 110 lb. because I was going back and forth trying to figure out a good card stock that I could use as a base and also would work for stamping because I'm leaning towards coloring my images in. Do you know if Neenah is a good brand or which brand do you recommend for stamping my images on and coloring in with markers? Thank you for passing those points on. They are all things that have crossed my mind so it's perfect advice. I am sooo grateful for all these tips, I can't even tell you. Thank you all so much!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2015, 12:19 PM   #32  
Matboard Maniac

Neenah is a fantastic cardstock!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2015, 12:29 PM   #33  
Rubber Obsessor

Oh good!! So it's good for stamps and markers too?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2015, 02:51 PM   #34  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Oh good!! So it's good for stamps and markers too?
Yes it's excellent for both. Very smooth!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2015, 04:09 AM   #35  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

So Pat, what companies or brands do you recommend for matching card stock and ink? I have been doing exactly what you said and so I'd like to nip it now before I get carried away. My card stock supply is building rapidly as is my inks but I'd rather do it right from early on.. And I actually just purchased the Neenah 110 lb. because I was going back and forth trying to figure out a good card stock that I could use as a base and also would work for stamping because I'm leaning towards coloring my images in. Do you know if Neenah is a good brand or which brand do you recommend for stamping my images on and coloring in with markers? Thank you for passing those points on. They are all things that have crossed my mind so it's perfect advice. I am sooo grateful for all these tips, I can't even tell you. Thank you all so much!!
Welcome! This site has been invaluable to me over the last 18 months, even though I just started interacting last fall. My word of advice? Everybody's "doing it right" is different. Matching inks and cardstock are not important to me, though it does take a bit of the work out of planning/designing a card. Which surprises me, since I'm very much the OCD anal-retentive perfectionist that Virgos are painted out to be! I prefer variety in my cardstock and paper, with a few well chosen inks. There are several well known bloggers who have their 'essentials of everything' list on their website, and it's surprisingly not excessive even though they usually have more toys than anyone else! The three I relied on the most were Jennifer McGuire, Kristina Werner, and Lindsay the Frugal Crafter. Lindsay is the queen of DIY and saving money if you want to go that route. If there is a way of making do, she will know how!

Also, a definite yes to keeping a wishlist. Already I've crossed things out because I've changed my mind. My hubby asked for a copy in case he wanted to buy me something, but I said it changed too often for me to give him one!

One more thing, about craft room organization: read read and read some more! It's not always necessary to sink a ton of money, there are lots of DIY ways of organizing your space... and this is likely another area where you will change your mind time and again. If you like Pinterest, create a board and pin every idea you see so you can compare them before making decisions.

Never hesitate to ask for help here on SCS, you will generally find at least one person who knows what you're asking about, if not dozens more!

My blog: Organized Craft Chaos | My Etsy supplies shop
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2015, 04:11 AM   #36  
Polyshrink Goddess

p.s. I agree about Neenah, that's one of my big splurges since I can't get it locally, and have to order online... and shipping to/in Canada is expensive!

My blog: Organized Craft Chaos | My Etsy supplies shop
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2015, 05:21 AM   #37  
Glitter Queen

Welcome Misty!!! So glad you found this hobby. I know everyone here will do their best to guide you in the right directions. This is a great helpful bunch of crafters!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2015, 04:45 PM   #38  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by MommyNeedsToStampView Post
Welcome Misty!!! So glad you found this hobby. I know everyone here will do their best to guide you in the right directions. This is a great helpful bunch of crafters!
I echo these sentiments!!! When I started out many years ago, I heated my embossing powder by a light bulb before I got my first heat tool!!! They didn't have clear stamps then - now I'm dating myself!!!

It's a very rewarding hobby, so creative, and fun. I think I get much more out of it than the people I send my cards to for sure. Whether they keep them or not is beside the point, it's the journey, or the process that was the most fun for me!! Sometimes it'll be a quick and easy card, sometimes you put your heart and soul in one. Either way, there's a sense of joy.

I remember too staying up into the wee hours of the night, because I just had to finish a card or do just one more little thing! Creating will do that to you! Have fun, you will find these forums filled with information from a sisterhood/brotherhood (no sexism in our hobby) so ready to help or share their experiences. It's wonderful........... Enjoy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2015, 04:17 PM   #39  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 981 Likes on 477 Posts

I'm a little late but wanted to throw in my WELCOME, too
One way to get lots of mileage out of what you already own is to play with the challenges posted here on this site. The tutorial section is robust, too, providing even MORE ways to use everything. Plus, with all of the samples in the gallery you are sure to find samples using things you already own; just do a search on whatever you want to use and I'm sure you'll find tons of project ideas.
Again - welcome to the site and have FUN!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2015, 05:32 PM   #40  
Kookie Creator

Misty - welcome to a wonderful group of selfless crafters!
"Seasoning" to me is being able to look at a card and think about the different elements. Then it's a matter of deciding whether or not to follow the model, make-do, or buy the supplies. My card-making friends and I have gotten to the point where we look at something, quickly analyze it, and move ahead with our style/interpretation. We share easily, both in comments and supplies. I am retired and could spend some days completely engaged in this craft (and others). It's what I enjoy, and share with those who matter to me.
I have a room of supplies and work all around this old house. Organization is not my strong suit, but I pretty much have a visual on my stash, especially the staples like punches, cartridges, inks, coloring tools, embellishments, acrylic blocks, papers of all sizes and patterns, as well as solids and textures. Then there is the ever-growing stamp collections (look out new SU catty!). I came out of paper scrapbooking with Creative Memories, and still have that supply stash! My artistic range includes photography and digital work, as well as sewing and painting. Somehow, bits of many of these interests find their way into my creations.
I hope you can experiment and avoid being overly judgmental. That your son participates is great! I look forward to seeing your work and exchanging comments in the future! Most of all, as others have said, have fun! Diane
Reply With Quote Likes