Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-03-2009, 06:41 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Cabinets vs. Office Furniture...need your input

Hi everyone, I'm hoping you can help me figure out what to do.

First, a little background. My grandmother passed away at age 101 this fall. I was given $1,500 out of her estate to spend as I wish. Since she was a huge scrapbooker her entire life, and because she and I sent many, many letters and cards back and forth over the years I would like to use the money for my stamping area. I think she would like that because she enjoyed the cards I made so much, and it would give me something to remember her by.

My husband and I have moved frequently in the past due to his job. Currently we are in a new house where we hope to stay but in reality we may have to move someday. While I think kitchen cabinets would work the best to create my stamping area, I would not be able to take them with me if we move.

Office-style furniture seems the best, especially if it is a type that I can easily reconfigure into a new space if needed. The office furniture I have seen is not appealing to me for one reason or another. Mainly I have looked at the systems that Pottery Barn and Ballard have to offer. I actually like what Ballard has the best because they seem to have more options, but I have concerns about quality. I purchased a Bill Payer's desk from them a few years ago and it developed a huge crack down the side that is now 1/4 inch wide. Do any of you out there use either of these systems? What do you like or dislike?

Another idea I am thinking about is having furniture custom made, possibly using kitchen cabinets as the basic building blocks. I know a carpenter who makes custom furniture, and I was thinking of talking to him about the possibility of this but I don't want to be swayed by all his great (but expensive) ideas right off the bat. I realize that no matter what I choose, I will probably have to add some $ of my own but I can't do a whole lot now, but I could add more over the next few years. Also, I should mention that I don't have a separate stamp room, it is an end of our finished 16" x 48" basement family room.

Any input you can give me would be much appreciated!

Christine
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2009, 07:07 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would something like this system work for you?

http://www.scrapncube.com/

I'm in a similar situation where I am going to put my craft area at the end of the family room. I don't want it out all the time because of that so though I love the scrapncube it's not for me.

If however it could have some sort of Garage door/rolltop opening so I could close it away it might work.

There is also the Scrapbox that is available that looks like furniture. I would want to adjust it too... LOL!

http://www.theoriginalscrapbox.com/catalog/

Last edited by RiverIsis; 12-03-2009 at 07:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2009, 07:16 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi

I wanted to have a space that I enjoyed but was able to pack up and take with me because we move every 2 to 3 years with dh's job too. I LOVE my elfa system from the Container store.. its a rail system and you can configure it anyway you want. Also you can change it around when the need arises..

For $1500 you will be able to create an AWESOME space and one that you will never have to leave behind! They will even help you out free to create one!!

http://www.containerstore.com/elfa/index.html

Hope that helps!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2009, 07:24 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

How about a cross-over solution. I used the craft cubes/drawer units to build my desk and then used a pre-fab kitchen counter for the top. This would give you alot of the advantages of cabinets, but without the permancy.

Here's a pic of my room (at the one time it was really clean!)

http://stampingoddess.typepad.com/st...esolution
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2009, 07:36 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Some good ideas here, ladies! Thank you. I love the Scrapbox products, but I have been stamping and COLLECTING for over 15 years so although they have the look I want they are too small since I like to spread out and I have so much stuff. The elpha system is so nice for people who move frequently! I've looked at it in the past, but since I am so out in the open and all of our other furniture tends toward antique/traditional it just doesn't fit. I guess I neglected to describe what style I'm looking for in my original post, sorry! I do have a small closet area under the stairs and I have my stamps stacked on some shelves that I'm not happy with. Maybe the elpha will help me out there...hmmmm.

Kind of the same deal with the Scrapncube stuff, too modern but really amazing stuff. That site is fabulous!!! If they had a more traditional-looking style I would be placing an order right now! I'd never seen that one before, thanks so much for sharing.

Any more ideas out there? Still hoping for some input on the Ballard and/or Pottery Barn lines and maybe some pictures?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2009, 07:42 AM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Colleen, your system is right along the lines of what I was thinking. I saw that your room pics were dated from 2007. Have you been happy with the Stack-n-Stores? Have they held up well? I wonder if Crop-n-Style still makes them? I'll have to check on that.

I think the idea of some kind of bases with the pre-fab counter tops. That way I could purchase a new top if we move down the road and I need to configure things a little differently. Thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2009, 07:46 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

I like Scrapbox too but I would probably need two of them AND I don't like the lack of access under the desk - I would rather have a pullout filing cabinet (to use the top as secondary workspace) and for the table to come down rather than up...and if I did have two then the doors in the middle would conflict with one another.

Told you I have the same problem - and have thought about this way too much!:lol:

And secondarily I don't want kitchen cabinets because I have a "bar" already in our family area and I don't want visitors thinking "my space" is bar space LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2009, 07:51 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 492 Likes on 309 Posts

Kitchen type cabinets don't have to be permanently mounted (base ones)...My entire stamping desk(6 ') is a kitchen counter laminate top laid over two base cabinets.
Another possibility---don't know the name of them but more than 10 years ago, DH installed wall mount square cabinets that hang on a board. The board is the only part actually attached to the wall. The cabinets are about 24 x 24 with one hinged door. I use them to store fabric in (and that is heavy) and also my leathercrafting tools and supplies(also heavy). When/if we move and want to take them with us, it will be simple to unload them, lift them off and then unscrew the mounting boards from the walls. He bought them at a lumberyard that sold cabinets for workshops and so forth if that is any help.

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2009, 07:56 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I would definitely stick with furniture that you could take with you if you move- as long as moving it isn't a problem for you.

I bought some desk bases from Ikea a couple years back and then got a large slab of wood from my office to use as a desktop. My desk is about 8' wide and it works wonderfully for me.

I have a set of cubes that I got from Home Depot or Lowes that I've been using for a couple years. I organize my supplies in photo boxes and label each box so I know what's in it (makes everything easier to find). But I'm the kind of person who doesn't like to see all of my supplies- only a few things. I find the clutter messes with my mojo.

I just painted my studio and am re-doing it a bit. I'm going to be swapping out my cubes for a tall bookshelf to gain more storage space. I also am using a large dresser in my room to hold other supplies. My studio doubles as our spare bedroom so I need to keep things pretty clean in case we get guests.

I hope some of this helps you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2009, 08:11 AM   #10  
Compulsive Stamper

Christine,

I am looking into this system. One of my friends has the Triple Large Maple unit and I am green with envy. Shipping may be costly, however. Hope this gives you some more ideas. Check out the pictures sent in by customers.

http://www.bestscrapbookshelf.com/

Chris
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2009, 08:41 AM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

Well, I came here for ideas and I am sure getting some great ones! RiverIsis, we do sound like we have a similar problem. Just so you know, I called and talked with Cindy at Scrapncube since I liked their things so well. She was extremely helpful. She said their customers often paint or stain the pieces, they come unfinished. I thought that light birch color was a finish but it's not. If I stained mine or even painted them white I think it would help take away some of that modern feel. They have just started offering a different style of drawer pull too, more of an antique/traditional feel. I like it a lot better.

C-mouse, I'm going to have to look into the wall-mounted cabinets that can hang on a board. Never heard of that before and it sounds like a good possibility. Thanks for the idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2009, 11:44 AM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by antiquestamperView Post
Colleen, your system is right along the lines of what I was thinking. I saw that your room pics were dated from 2007. Have you been happy with the Stack-n-Stores? Have they held up well? I wonder if Crop-n-Style still makes them? I'll have to check on that.

I think the idea of some kind of bases with the pre-fab counter tops. That way I could purchase a new top if we move down the road and I need to configure things a little differently. Thanks for sharing!
Yes, my stamping room is still going strong and the cubes are holding up very nicely. Even if Cop-N-Style doesn't still make these cubes I now see knock-off at all of the larger craft stores. Since the are essentially laminated pressed wood, I would think that they are pretty much all the same.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2009, 03:48 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Antiques

I have cabinet bases with lots of drawers - unfinished with two pieces of counter on top. Nothing attached to the walls and used the adhesive on the counter to base very sparingly on the edges so we can take it up if need be.

Everyone has give you great advice and it really is about what best for you. I like to hide my supplies and take out only what I want to work on. Though have lots of pegboard up for tools

Did wanted to share a thought. Although it may take the bulk of your budget what about a nice antique piece of furniture that you can take with you - use for your supplies and always remember your grandmother? I love the old printers cabinets with all the drawers for paper or stamps. Maybe some vintage post-office or hotel desk cubbies for all your goodies. A barister book case to store your vertical stuff. You get the idea.

So exciting for you to get a chance to spend money on something you love!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2009, 03:30 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 525 Likes on 237 Posts

Did you see this thread?
Forums at Splitcoaststampers
She has a lovely solution with a desk that looks antique. She also has storage in a storage room nearby.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2009, 05:29 AM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default so lovely

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
Did you see this thread?
Forums at Splitcoaststampers
She has a lovely solution with a desk that looks antique. She also has storage in a storage room nearby.
Beautiful desk Diane - exactly what I was thinking about something wonderful that you will have a long time that is a piece you can move with you.

Can't wait to see the final result Christine...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2009, 02:03 PM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

Hey everyone! Sorry I haven't been responding promptly today, my hubby took the day off and we've shopped 'til we dropped (or at least until we had to get the kids off the bus!)

Colleen, thank you for responding to my question about the bases you use. I'm glad to hear they are holding up well for you.

Diane, I read that thread. Thanks for pointing it out, it was really good. Funny thing is I am sitting at a desk in our upstairs office that is almost exactly the same as the one she found on Craigslist! It is even made by the same company, I can tell because her mouse pad slideout has the brand name "Winners Only" on it. After reading that thread I have been giving some thought to the possibility of moving this desk down to my stamp area and purchasing something different for the office. I even have the same two drawer file cabinet she has. Now...if only I could get my husband to agree. I would still need an additional storage piece of some sort, bookcases would be good. Unfortunately the company has gone out of business so I'd have to search for something that would blend. I don't think that would be too hard.

PixiePinkGirl, you had some very good suggestions. I am embarrassed to say that I already have a VERY large postal sorting desk. It is in storage because although it has tons of storage space it is painted a pale blue color (pretty but really off from the colors we have), and I could never make it look neat and uncluttered because all the slots are open and I had a hard time finding storage containers that would fit the fixed portion of the shelves in the hutch. I will never try to paint it again because it was a dirty, dingy yellow when I got it and it took me forever to paint it with all the shelves, dividers, etc. it has. I do have a fabulous antique twenty drawer wood filing cabinet that I bought at an auction and use for stamping storage. It was in a mechanic's shop for many years and I literally had to scrape a thick layer of grease off of it before I could even think of stripping and reapplying a new finish.

Thanks to all of you for getting me thinking in some different directions. My thoughts were in such a rut when I first posted, and now I've got a lot of new ideas ad inspiration. When I finally get this whole thing figured out I will post pics so you can see what I decided.

Christine
Reply With Quote Likes