Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-25-2009, 11:11 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Pencils?

I have all of the SU! markers and a set of Bic Mark-Its, but have found that I really don't like the look of markers - the colors are too defined or dark or something. Anyway, I recently bought the SU! pencils and have found that I LOVE them. The only real problem is that there's not a very large variety of colors and the colors aren't true. So I'm wondering if there's a set of CHEAP, but decent pencils out there to also use? I know the old adage about getting what you pay for is true, but just can't afford anything too pricey right now. Any suggestions?

I also have a set of chalks, but NO clue how to use them! lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 11:17 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

prismacolor maybe? they have 132 colors.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 11:27 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Wishing I was not at work but I have to pay for my hobbies some how! LOL!
Wink

Toni~

The SU pencils that you have, are they watercolor pencils (24 in a tin box)? I personally love my Prismacolor pencils but they can be pricy. I have a tutorial on blog, along with links on where to get the supplies. Check it out:

http://uselesscrafts.blogspot.com/20...-tutorial.html

But if you are just looking to use them to color and you are not looking for shading and blending colors, get a set of 50 Crayola colored pencils at Wal-Mart for $8.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 11:49 AM   #4  
BA
Polyshrink Goddess

Toni,
I too LOVE my SU watercolor pencils! I have the markers also and over time I have come to love them as well, just for different types of projects.
The markers are great for fast coloring and for intense color on your projects. Sometimes you just need a quick card! Did you know that you can scribble your markers on the lid of the ink pad (or top of the stamp box) and then pick up color with the blender pen or aquapainter or water brush? This is a nice watercolor effect and the color is not as intense as using the markers straight. If using this technique remember all cardstock is not the same! Watercolor paper is best when watercoloring because it does not curl up and lets you blend colors better.
Now, about your chalks...yes, I have them too!
Here are some simple ways to use them (this is not an exhaustive list):
~You can use them straight with a q-tip,
~You can use them with a blender pen (put the blender pen into the chalk and pick up color, then color your image),
~you can stamp a bold image (like a flower) in Versamark ink and then use a sponge to pick up chalk dust and pounce that onto your image (technique is called Poppin' Pastels)

Hope this helps and gives you some ideas about your markers and chalks. You can always check the resource section to see about more techniques.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 12:54 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

I have the Prisma pencils and love them, they can be expensive but if you go to eBay you might be able to get a deal on them. I got the 120 pencil set on eBay for $70 Canadain with shipping and exchange, the 120 set in Micheals goes for $250 or in that price range. If you aren't sure if you will like them you can buy them in smaller sets or individually to try them out.

Have you tryed the SU watercolor crayons? I have them and like to use them as well, you can adjust the color intensity by adding more color once it is dry.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 01:29 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

I use a variety of colored pencils with Gamsol. I have Prisma Watercolor pencils, Prisma pencils and Crayola colored pencils. They all work equally well for me.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 01:44 PM   #7  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 638 Likes on 448 Posts

I have the SU pencils and prismacolors. My husband bought some colored pencils at the $1store when I was hosting scrapbooking and card making at our local teen center, I have to say they colored pretty good! The girls were happy with their cards.
I am not that into shading, etc, but prisma does have the most colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 02:03 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

I also use the Prismas. I love them, and I bought them at Michael's with a coupon, which helped keep the cost down. they are terrific. But I have heard good things about the Crayola ones as well, so give those a shot, and see how you do with them. Let us know..Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 02:39 PM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To save some bucks, look for a set of Rose Art (yes, they are by crayola) pencils...They are wax based like the Prisma, 1/4 the cost and blend like butter with Gamsol just like Prisma...

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 02:53 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Wow! Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas/techniques!! I had considered Crayola/Rose Art, but wasn't sure if they would be worth it. I would love to buy Prismacolors and..."maybe someday"!

Can someone explain to me what gamsol is exactly? How you use it and what it does? I've seen it referenced several times, but didn't know what it was!

I do have the watercolor pencils from SU! I considered the crayons, but after just completing my markers set, didn't want to get into having to buy a bunch more sets...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 03:06 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

I use the Crayola pencils and find that they work fine for my basic needs with gamsol. I have been using the odorless mineral spirits from Wal-Mart but I read somewhere that you really should use the artist grade mineral spirits. I'm not really sure what the difference is but Gamsol is just a name brand for the artist grade OMS.

Anyway...back to the pencil issue. I have the SU watercolor pencils and crayons. I do ok with them, but I have better luck using the gamsol technique. I have a set of maybe 36 prismacolors plus a big box of Crayola pencils. The prismacolors do blend a bit easier, but the crayola brand work too and fill in the blanks for the colors I don't have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 03:17 PM   #12  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by galet1View Post
I have all of the SU! markers and a set of Bic Mark-Its, but have found that I really don't like the look of markers - the colors are too defined or dark or something. Anyway, I recently bought the SU! pencils and have found that I LOVE them. The only real problem is that there's not a very large variety of colors and the colors aren't true. So I'm wondering if there's a set of CHEAP, but decent pencils out there to also use? I know the old adage about getting what you pay for is true, but just can't afford anything too pricey right now. Any suggestions?

I also have a set of chalks, but NO clue how to use them! lol!

Good quality colored pencils will have nice soft leads, not hard ones, so be on the look out for that on the packaging.

That said, I personally love working with Koh-i-Noors. They are reasonably priced for the 24 color box, wonderfully soft leads, and they are what's know as "pure color" or "woodless" pencils--color all the way through because they are not encased in wood, like many other, including the spendy, brands.

By blending, you have quite a few options. I haven't felt the need personally to buy more or a larger or more expensive set--not that it wouldn't be fun, tho! ;)

I don't do the Magic Colored pencil technique (gamsol), altho you certainly could with Koh-i-Noors; others I know have achieved wonderful results doing this with these pencils, as well as the more expensie Prismacolors.

And, there's a great tutorial by Lisa Spangler on her colored pencil technique, which I personally love, and so I just do what she does! Cuz' it's easy, and no other supplies are necessary! ;)

HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 04:16 PM   #13  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 638 Likes on 448 Posts

Yes, koh-i-noor I have those too! They are my favorites by far, how could I forget them??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 04:21 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
Good quality colored pencils will have nice soft leads, not hard ones, so be on the look out for that on the packaging.

That said, I personally love working with Koh-i-Noors. They are reasonably priced for the 24 color box, wonderfully soft leads, and they are what's know as "pure color" or "woodless" pencils--color all the way through because they are not encased in wood, like many other, including the spendy, brands.

By blending, you have quite a few options. I haven't felt the need personally to buy more or a larger or more expensive set--not that it wouldn't be fun, tho! ;)

I don't do the Magic Colored pencil technique (gamsol), altho you certainly could with Koh-i-Noors; others I know have achieved wonderful results doing this with these pencils, as well as the more expensie Prismacolors.

And, there's a great tutorial by Lisa Spangler on her colored pencil technique, which I personally love, and so I just do what she does! Cuz' it's easy, and no other supplies are necessary! ;)

HTH!
Definitely want to check out hte tutorial! (will have to do it from home, tho). Checked out the Koh-i-Noors and, wow! They sound great and are VERY affordable! Thanks so much for the suggestions!

I'll have to look up the Gamsol technique (I'm sure there's more about it around here somewhere) because I don't understand how it works (or more to the point, what you do)! lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2009, 11:34 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

oh I will be teaching a class at a park in july, and wanted to try other brands and not have to take my prismas to the class.
Im gonna buy some roseart/crayola ones and give it a try.
I will be a happy camper if it works., cant wait ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2009, 11:41 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

What am I missing? Did Crayola buy Rose Art or something? <confused>
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2009, 09:41 PM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

I might have to try this because I am finding I am having a hard time keeping my Prisma's sharpened. They are constantly breaking and not blending all that well.

Thanks
Jaunice

Quote:

HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2009, 11:16 AM   #18  
Cardstock Collector

I'm new at stamping & need to know how to use the watercolor pencils. I have the SU pencils.

Thanks,
J.R.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2009, 11:25 AM   #19  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judy RView Post
I'm new at stamping & need to know how to use the watercolor pencils. I have the SU pencils.

Thanks,
J.R.
The Resources section here on Splitcoast is wonderful--click on the link in the upper right corner of the page to get that section of the site.

Here's a quick link to a good tutorial on watercoloring with watercolor pencils:

Watercoloring With Watercolor Pencils And Aqua Painter&trade; Tutorials at Splitcoaststampers

HTH! Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2009, 08:21 AM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

HTH!
Thank you, Julie for the link to Lisa's tutorial. I would rather not use OMS if it is bad for my little ones and the environment...thank you for that point
It is a wonderful feeling to be able to make something look beautiful and realistic by using just the pencils!

Have a great day

Anna Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2009, 09:07 AM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

HTH!
Thank you from me, too! That was a great tutorial on watercoloring in a way I had never seen before. I haven't tried it, yet, but she made it look very doable and easy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2009, 01:58 AM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

Talking Bouught them loose,pick the colors I wanted

I stareted out a set of Prism c/pencils I found @ at yard sale. Last yr I picked up some loose @ HL. I really enjoyed coloring my botanical c/art w/ them . Ineeded to do anotherr set to do w/ it's hot to move atound. After doing research on the web on prices,I decided to go w/ the route of picking out specfic colors I knew I would use for my flowers & leaves:(. I can't afford the big tins, I want specfic colors. After 2 mo's of coloring w/ them I really love the final product.
Thanks for all the useful tips I found on here. the layering w/ the lite colors 1st,then adding layers of progressive colors has really made my leaves on my flowers pop this year. I bought a bag of multi size stomps. I use them to blend the colors together. Burnishing? name?
I don't use Gamosol,asthma, or the mess of baby oil. I'm coloring sitting in front of my a/c w/ my pencils on my bed in color families has saved my sanity the last 2 mo's.
I'm going to use b-day money for Vert-thin for o/lining edges & get the tin of new colors. I have used markers, Crayola crayons,Souffle pens ,glaze pens also I like the Prism c/ pencils the best. I use the w/pencils s/times for a b/ground for the flowers or my pastel chalks to accent the flowers for my cards.grandmabear:cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2009, 03:13 AM   #23  
Kookie Creator

I finally borke down and bought myself a set of prisma colored pencils at Michaels using a 50% off coupon. Although I have not played with them much yet I do love the colors and do want to try gamsol tech with them. I also have SU markers and watercolor pencils which I love but they do give a very different effect. But ( there's always a but) for good ole coloring I still love my Crayolas. I found a blending pen (more of a marker) at Michaels that may help those who can't or don't want to use gamsol. It works well with crayolas, have not tried it with my prismas yet.
Here's a sample I did a while ago using good ole crayola pencils and the blender pen: inkadinkado stamps by hawk at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes