Microscope Slide Ornament
by Sharon Harnist
Dazzle your friends and family with microscope slide ornaments.
- Microscope Slides or Memory Glass – sizes vary: 1” x 3”, 1-1/2” x 1-1/2”, 2” x 2”, 2” x 3”
- ¼” Sticky Strip (red liner double-sided tape)
- Cardstock and Ink for stamping images
- Rubber Stamps
- Cord, ribbon or wire for ornament hanger
- Microbeads, glitter or ribbon to edge and seal slides
- Optional: Memory Glass Frames
To position stamped image, draw a pencil line around the microscope slide and stamp within the lines.
Note: This microscope slide glass measures 2” x 3”.
Cut just inside pencil lines so image will fit perfectly beneath the slide.
Don’t forget to either stamp another image or add decorative paper on the back side of the ornament.
Apply adhesive to the back side of the ornament backing and place cord in a loop, making sure it is well secured with the adhesive.
Place main image on top of the backing, sandwiching the cord in the middle.
Place a microscope slide on top and bottom of the sandwiched images and apply double-sided tape to the edges of the slides, centering the tape so some will wrap around the sides, sealing the slides together.
Peel off red protective film.
Cover the exposed tape with micro beads or glitter. Memory Glass Frames may be used to hold your stamped images and slides.
Variation: Instead of sandwiching cord between the slides for a hanger, place ribbon all around the tape in this step, tying it in a loop/bow at the top for a hanger.
Turn it into a shaker ornament.
1. Apply two layers of 1/4-inch red liner tape, folded in half, to the inside of the top microscope slide. Leave red plastic on the last layer of tape and put shaker material (micro beads, glitter, plastic snow, etc.) in the middle of the slide (liner on the tape prevents shaker material from adhering to tape).
2. Gently peel liner off tape (try not to disturb shaker material) and place stamped image face down on top of tape, sealing the edges well.
3. Continue with Step 3 above.
Experiment with slide orientation -- they can also be turned horizontally.
Metal loop hanger
If using Memory Glass Frames, tie ribbon through the provided metal loop to serve as a hanger, and your ornament is finished.
Leave the ribbon/cord off and make it into a pin.