Coaster Mini Book
by Beate Johns
Turn coasters from a restaurant into a book perfect for gift-giving.
- Two 4” x 4” chipboard coasters Need some of these? StartLitStudio (Cindy Lyles) stocks chipboard coasters in her online store.
- Four 4"x4" pieces of patterned paper
- Two 3 5/8" x 3 5/8" pieces of cardstock for inside covers
- One 3 5/8" x 5 1/4" piece of cardstock for binding (this length will hold five pages, for each additional page, add 3/4")
- Five 3 1/2" squares of cardstock for pages
- One piece of ribbon about 20" long
- Mod Podge™ or other strong adhesive
- Foam brush
- Sticky Strip™
- Sanding block (optional)
- Corner rounder (optional)
- Paper cutter with scoring blade
Apply Mod Podge™to one side of a coaster.
Adhere one piece of patterned paper to the coaster. Cut paper around the corners.
Repeat this step on other side of this coaster. Repeat to cover both sides of the second coaster.
Step 3 (Optional)
Sand the edges of the patterned paper on the coaster with a sanding block for a weathered look.
Place the coasters with inside pages facing up next to each other. Leave about a 1/4" gap between the two coasters. Place your ribbon over both coasters as pictured.
Add adhesive to the inside 3 5/8" inside covers. Use Sticky Strip™ to ensure the ribbon will stay in place.
Center the inside pages over the coasters and press down to adhere.
Take the 3 5/8" x 5 1/4" piece of cardstock and score at 3/4". Add 3/8" and score. Repeat ten times.
Hint: If you want to add more then five pages, add two scores for each additional page.
Add Sticky Strip™ to the first, third, fifth, seventh, and ninth small scored strips. These will hold your pages.
Turn the scored cardstock around and add Sticky Strip™ to each end piece of the cardstock. This will adhere the binding to the coasters.
Fold the scores in mountain/valley fashion as pictured.
Remove the liner of the Sticky Strip™, and adhere one side of the binding to one book cover. Line the end of the first fold line up with the end of the inside cover of the book.
Repeat step 11 to adhere the other end of the binding to the other book cover.
Add book pages.
Finish your project.
This one was left very simple. It will be Rebecca's gift to her grandma for Christmas. She will add drawings to the pages. I gave her 3 1/4" squares of white cardstock for her drawings that we will then tape onto the pages.
Make the book into a little scrapbook.
Collect favorite sayings or facts.
Make it into a classmate book for your kids.