Faster Uploads

When you upload a photo, the software does two things (well, actually more than two, but these are the two you might care about).

First, the software creates a thumbnail version of your photo and stores it for use when displaying smaller versions of your photo (on the home page or in the Gallery).

Next it creates a 'downsampled' version of your original photo - i.e. makes a lower quality (and smaller file size) version. Then it stores this optimized version and discards your original.

Why is this important to know? Because by optimizing your images yourself you can save a significant amount of upload time: smaller file size = quicker upload.

How to do this? It's not too hard. If you use a scanner to create images of your samples, just make sure to save using the JPEG (JPG) format (files you save as JPEG will usually end with a .jpg extension). The JPEG format allows for lower or higher quality settings. Higher quality means larger file size, lower quality means smaller file size. When saving an image in JPEG format, your software will generally allow you to set the quality level yourself.

If you want to experiment a little, you can find out what your optimal quality setting is. If you'll notice, on the web page it shows the final file size of all uploaded images. If the images you're uploading are much larger than this, try decreasing the quality setting until you end up with a comparable size. A quick look at the Gallery shows that images usually end up between 80K-200K in size. When saving images on your computer, try decreasing your quality setting until you end up with images that are in the same range.

If you use a digital camera to capture your images, the process is very similar. Just use your favorite image editing software to downsample your image before uploading. The result will be much quicker uploads and the highest possible image quality.

Questions? Submit yours in the forum or drop a note to webmaster@splitcoaststampers.com.

Posted by: dvn on Dec 22, 03 | 11:59 am

COMMENTS

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 52428800 bytes exhausted at (null):0 (tried to allocate 16000 bytes) in /home/httpd/vhosts/splitcoaststampers.com/httpdocs/gallery/image-inc.php on line 81
This is what I get when I tried to download a card. What am I doing wrong?

jackie | Aug 27, 04 | 4:10 pm

Hi! I'm having a little trouble. I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to computers. Once I scan a card, what do I do next? Where do I go to find the card and what do I type in the spaces provided on the page to upload it into the gallery? How do I get the card from wherever it is after it is scanned to the upload page? I hope you can help me. I'm ready to give up. Thanks so much!

Penny | Oct 29, 04 | 7:09 am

I am attempting to upload for the first time from a scanned card. I have saved it as a jpg and the size is not greater than 640x480. I continue to get the error message: Sorry, this image type (7) is not supported yet. Can you explain or help me with this. I would love to be able to share and enjoy this site as much as it seems everyone else does. Thank you.

cameron | Jan 05, 05 | 8:40 pm

I try uploading from a scaned card its been saved as jpg but nothing happiens and I don't get anything after what do I need to do thanks

jen | Aug 09, 05 | 6:41 pm

I have finally gotten brave enough to scan two cards for the gallery. They both show up too small on SCS. How do I get them larger before I submit?

Kheila | Jan 09, 06 | 2:33 pm

I keep getting this error when trying to upload a card-please help.

/mnt/nfs/data/gallery/uploads/29771: Error creating directory (check permissions).

Please notify the System Administrator.

Marsha | Jan 27, 06 | 7:14 am

I have a question regarding the upload process. I have been a site member for a year or tow, but have begun uploading my card photos recently. The first few uploads appeared immediately in the gallery, but since that time (this month) all show "pending approval" until the time that someone is able to preview them. Is this the case for everyone or am I doing something wrong. Thanks! Audrey

AudreyAnn | Jan 29, 06 | 6:25 am

I've finally gotten the nerve up to put a card in the gallery, but it has been over an hour since I uploaded and it still isn't showing. Could there be something wrong with the size of my picture? I got a message saying it was successfully uploaded.

Stoneystamper | Apr 12, 06 | 8:13 am

Uploads won't go through. I check that jpgfile was correct. I get the first page completed and click submit but it goes nowhere from there. I don't get the image list page and no confirmation of the upload. What do I do now. Thanks for any help!! Becky

Becky | May 22, 06 | 6:48 am

Where do I go to upload on SCS? I already have my pics saved on my computer but need to know where on SCS is the option for uploading? I'm so new to this area.HELP!!!

chickiez | Aug 04, 06 | 7:21 am

When I upload a file and select a gallery such as scrapbooking, will a copy be stored on my member gallery also? If not, is there a problem with uploading the same picture twice, one to the personal gallery and one to the scrapbooking gallery? I'm new at this and somewhat confused at the process. Linda

Linda | Oct 30, 06 | 12:25 pm

Is there a way to move images between my gallery and an album I created or viceversa? I don't want to upload again because it loses the comments.
Thanks

Dotti Snell | Nov 15, 06 | 1:34 pm

I uploaded a card using the Delight In Life set it showed up in my gallery & in the current section....however, it didn't move into the gallery for Delight In Life.
Can someone help me?

Thanks...Connie Jones 3/26/07

stamp300 | Mar 26, 07 | 7:53 pm

I just uploaded 3 cards and forgot to change the numbers in front is there a way to change it without redoing the whole process???
Thanks t.

tinakdude | Apr 06, 07 | 10:09 pm

I have a Word file that is a picture tutorial of a ribbon slider card. I would like to upload that in response to someone's question about ribbon sliders. How do I get this word file on my "reply?"
Thanks for your help.
Susie

susie nelson | May 15, 07 | 11:55 am

I edited a photo, because I liked the scanned quality better than the snapshot's quality. The thumbprint is changed, however when you click on the thumbprint, you get the old photo. Did I do something incorrectly?

sigrnspicy | Jul 02, 07 | 1:35 am

When I CASE someone's card, where do I get the information from that I need to include in the instructions on my upload? Do I cut and paste information from where I view their card? I have tried to figure it out but can't.

Faye Leona | Apr 22, 08 | 8:11 am

I upload my photo for HCE02, have not seen it that gallery. Found it in the main gallery but not in the Holiday card gallery.what did I do wrong?

maggiegirl | Dec 23, 08 | 10:00 pm

What is the little heart in front of the photo/file name?

Heather Prince | Jun 12, 09 | 2:21 pm

I just uploaded my first image into the gallery this last weekend. I didn't have a field to include the materials used in my project. The only fields that came up for me were: category, title, keywords, photo description. Where do I go to add the material? Thanks.

Brenda Lee | Feb 28, 12 | 2:49 pm

Hi Brenda - That's probably because you chose one of your albums instead of your member gallery. Choose "member gallery" as the category for your upload to see those options. On your existing card, click on it, then click "edit photo" to move the card to your member gallery and then add that info. Thanks for sharing with us! :)

Understandblue | Feb 28, 12 | 2:51 pm

Thanks, Lydia!! I appreciate the help. I just watched your video...should have been my first step. :)

Brenda Lee | Feb 28, 12 | 3:03 pm