Major Downtime & Something New

A bit of a server crisis yesterday afternoon and evening resulted in significant downtime. If you were unable to reach Splitcoast, or only sporadically, you weren't alone. Also, newsletter news, a new member company, a new feature. Lots of news.

We think we figured it out around midnight. A bad link in our latest home page tutorial announcement was causing the server to try and load all the tutorials onto a single page. It kept the servers overly busy trying to fulfill these requests and left them no time to do anything else. The result: a big, massive tie-up, pile-up, traffic disaster that left Splitcoast almost unreachable for much of the day.

"Frustration" was yesterday's word for the day, please accept our apology while we attempt to recover from the gnashing of teeth and the pulling out of our own hair.

Should be fixed now, let's hope so anyway because it's a busy day around here today! We're booked solid with advertisers, watch the top of site pages for new and great stuff from companies you know and love to give your money to. We're welcoming a new member company today too, look for an announcement later this morning.

Yesterday's Weekly Inkling didn't go out while we finished up a new site feature and worried over our server issues. Expect yesterday's newsletter in time for your morning coffee today. But back up a second, what's that about a "new site feature"??

Yep, it's called a Product Focus and you'll find it on our Resources pages beginning later today. In it, we take a single papercrafting product and attempt to be the last word on what, how, why, where and how much. What it is, how to use it, why you might want it, where to find it, and how much you might expect to pay. This is sponsored content (companies will pay for the privilege of being featured), but our team of reviewers will give you their own opinions and you'll be free to discuss and make up your own mind. We think you're gonna like it.

Posted by: daven on Apr 30, 08 | 7:17 pm

COMMENTS

WOW! Thanks for the all the details, and keeping this site AWESOME! I can't wait to see the Product focus thing!

Laurie txstamper | May 01, 08 | 5:53 am

Glad to see you back on-line this morning. "gnashing teeth and pulling out hair" really made me chuckle. Poor Daven doesn't have much hair (shaved smooth I believe from the pictures I have seen). Hope you have a STRESS-FREE day today, Team!! :)

Kelly (Littlekel90) | May 01, 08 | 5:59 am

Oh! Thanks so much Daven!!! You ROCK!.. so you fixed the problem and are giving us a new feature to boot!! Hooray for us! Sorry you had a late night last night! Know that all of us terribly addicted SCSers {heart} you!
Can't wait to check out the new feature!

Beverly aka beestamper | May 01, 08 | 6:00 am

Hi, my friend told me about this site and I have already recommended it to others. I am looking forward to all the great ideas yet to come!

Sherrie Farnsworth | May 01, 08 | 6:06 am

Glad to have you back. I was going through withdrawl symptoms last night!!

Newstampinaddict | May 01, 08 | 6:07 am

WHEW! For a second I thought my computer was shooting craps (which I think it is anyway). Glad you're up & running. Was really bummed that I couldn't see what the Wednesday task was. But lo & behold! I've got it and its great - as most everything here is. You guys are the best.

Glitterbabe | May 01, 08 | 6:20 am

Thanks DAven for working so hard for us. I was convinced I had lost it--whatever it was.....Glad to know I hadn't.
Get some rest today.

c-mouse | May 01, 08 | 6:36 am

Must be one of the few advantages of being in such a different time zone (GMT+1) - no problems even noticed here :-).
Looking forward to the Product Focus.

Cook22 | May 01, 08 | 6:44 am

Glad everything is back to as "normal" as it can be :) I reall missed you yesterday!

susan | May 01, 08 | 6:46 am

No worries on the down time (I uhhh, had a few moments of withdrawl symptoms, but managed to get some chores done!)...
Thanks for continually "upgrading" this site!!

Starla (star) | May 01, 08 | 6:52 am

wooohoooo SCS rocks!!
thanks!!

AJ | May 01, 08 | 7:11 am

Welcome back... I always assume my trouble getting onto SplitCoast is caused by zillions of creative stampers all uploading marvelous card pics at the same time.

Looking forward to the Product Focus, particularly the How-to-Use part. Thanks for all the fabulous support you give to those of us with the stamping addiction.

SplicedCenterStamp | May 01, 08 | 7:15 am

Thanks for all the hard work Daven, you are SOOO appreciated!

Jaclyn | May 01, 08 | 7:25 am

OMG, you don't realize how addidicted you are to this place until YOU CAN'T GET ON!! I feel like I went threw detox from the afternoon threw the evening. OH MAN. But I got lots done at home. LOL so I think it was a good thing all in all. But I am SO glad you are BACK. Thought I was gonna have to get some nitro for the palpations.
xoxooxxo you guys for fixing us all up.

stampinchickadee | May 01, 08 | 7:29 am

Yall are doing a great job. Thanks for the updates. You're wonderful on the communication end. I'm looking forward to the new feature.

momof5boys1girl | May 01, 08 | 7:40 am

Although I was in definite withdrawal yesterday, it's totally understandable. This site wouldn't be so great without the growing pains, anyway. I can't even begin to imagine how frustrating it is for you when things go wrong. Thanks for all of your late night work...and especially for the product spotlight. Not that I need any encouragement in spending my $, sadly. Can't wait to see who the new member company is too!

Katie | May 01, 08 | 7:59 am

So glad I was out of town yesterday and busy! I would have hyper-ventilated :) So glad you got things fixed and really glad that you post and tell us what's up. Thanks again for EVERYTHING, this is an awesome place :)

Nancy | May 01, 08 | 8:05 am

Sounds like you had quite the day yesterday! Was thinking of you guys as I couldn't get on the site knowing that you were very busy behind the scenes. Glad you found the "bug" and things are back on track. Thanks for all the effort and continued improvements to this site - it's the best!

Marisa | May 01, 08 | 8:12 am

"tearing out of hair"???? Uh, Daven...... LOL!!!!

Thanks for the explanation. I knew it was server related by the error I was getting. It actually started a few days ago, but yesterday was a complete outage. I think I managed to connect once or twice all day before getting shut out again. Withdrawl!!!!!! LOL!

Thanks for the awesome job you do....

Lisa (crazycatstamper) | May 01, 08 | 8:24 am

Eh, stuff happens! We knew you were all over it! Sorry 'bout the hair loss.

Laurie (newiner) | May 01, 08 | 8:26 am

Hmmm....

Joan B | May 01, 08 | 8:32 am

Just to let you know that I love all that you do for this site and you do a great job. As long as I have been here Daven you have worked hard at keeping this site up and getting better all the time. This site has grown so much and you are the one to have to keep up with it all. So when something happens I know you will take care of it for us.. I could not even thing about doing what you do here... Thank You!

deba | May 01, 08 | 8:52 am

WHEW! Glad you're back!! I was going through withdrawal yesterday evening and slept very restlessly wondering where my fav stampin' place went. Chin up---the hair will grow back. Thanks again for an amazing site! Can't wait to check out the new product feature later.

susan (PSU_Mom) | May 01, 08 | 9:06 am

Thanks for the explanation, I missed my Weekly Inkling and was blaming Comcast(in mind only) for dropping the email. Sorry you all had such a stressful day and hope things go smoothly from now on for you. Keep up the execellent work you do to bring all of us this fabulous web site that I have become so dependent on!

Barb Gault | May 01, 08 | 9:16 am

Sorry you had such a bad day yesterday. Hope it is going a little smoother today. I still haven't received the Inkling newsletter in my email. I see the tutorial is listed here, but I alway like to check out the links that are attached to the newsletter.

/p

psychspa | May 01, 08 | 9:32 am

I was wondering why I didn't get my weekly inkling. Guess I wasn't the only one. Do you think we will get it?

Marge Waskiewicz | May 01, 08 | 9:56 am

Thanks for the explanation -- even though I don't really understand all that stuff, it sounds perfectly understandable! :) I'm very excited to hear about the Product Focus feature, I think it's something that will help newbies ALOT and oldbies like me as well -- sometimes I see these new things and wonder what I'd use them for!

Mary G | May 01, 08 | 10:03 am

twinks | May 01, 08 | 10:09 am

I knew it must be something big--that's never happened to me before! What a pain for ya'll, but thanks for getting to the root of the problem and resolving it for us freaky SCS stalkers, such as myself, hehe! SCS ROCKS!!!

linsey | May 01, 08 | 10:13 am

I was pretty bummed yesterday when my favorite site just wasn't working right. I still haven't gotten my wonderful newsletter yet, was looking forward to having my morning coffee and reading it.
Thanks, RR

RoadRanger | May 01, 08 | 10:42 am

as far as I'm concerned there are never any apologies necessary-you guys do it all and make it look easy. I'm just grateful for such a wonderful site!!!!!
thanks for ALL you do!

kingmontmom | May 01, 08 | 11:35 am

The product focus sounds awesome! Can't wait to check it out!

Stampin' Annie | May 01, 08 | 11:49 am

I agree with kingmontmom...no apology necessary. I LOVE this place and am SO grateful for everything here. THANK YOU!

KellyinTexas | May 01, 08 | 11:58 am

Yes of course we got frustrated but only because this is THE BEST SITE EVER and we miss it if we can't log on even for a minute. What a great addiction! But of course we understand that things happen and are happy to see it back up today. Thanks for everyone's hard work on this site!

Kim | May 01, 08 | 12:08 pm

Thanks for the update, and for doing such a great job with this site! With the amount of traffic you see every day, it's amazing there aren't more glitches, and that really speaks to the amazing crew you must have working HARD to keep up the quality!! Thanks for making it all look so effortless to all of us (I know it's not, because my husband's a software developer!) ;o)

MANY, MANY, MANY THANKS!! {{hugs}}
~Michelle :o)

mybelle101 | May 01, 08 | 12:09 pm

You all do such a great job keeping this site up and running and with all the traffic this site sees, your "downtimes" are very limited. Thanks to all who make that possible for us. smt

Sandy | May 01, 08 | 12:15 pm

You all do such a fabulous job with this site and the newsletter that I think we all can cut you some slack when something goes "KaBLOOEY!". Glad you're back up and running!

Becky | May 01, 08 | 12:34 pm

Happy to have you back. I missed you last night :)

Michelle | May 01, 08 | 1:06 pm

Oh thank you so much, I could not think what was wrong. The 1st thing Wed. I go to my PC to see what is new, I love everything about Splitcoast. Glad you are back.

Leta | May 01, 08 | 1:47 pm

Thank you for telling us what happened. I thought it was my fault again. (Smile) Seriously this is a great place to come visit and I really would like to live here too.

marilynprestonn | May 01, 08 | 1:52 pm

Awww.........don't add any extra stress to yourselves...........WE LOVE YOU ALL and SCS!!!! We know how hard you work and just post the error messages and such so you know what we're seeing and if it'll help you. Your hard work and all your new and inspired ideas are so appreciated and enjoyed!! Hugs all the way 'round!!! :)

LuvLee | May 01, 08 | 2:18 pm

Wow, my first weekly inkling. Very impressive and so informative. Has kept me busy this morning and will for many hours more. Thank you to the team who puts it together. Have a good one.

Lainee | May 01, 08 | 2:39 pm

Wow, that was a big one. You guys simply rock. Someone needs to give you guys an award or something. We are very glad you guys got a hold of that thing, you'll know how we unpatient stampers can get, LOL.
Thanks guys you are the BEST!!!!!

Sabrina | May 01, 08 | 2:51 pm

wow! Sorry to hear all that happened but, thankyou for all your hardwork in getting it back up and running again. In addition, thanks for the new feature. It sounds like it's gonna be great. Have a better day!

sue | May 01, 08 | 2:51 pm

Sorry about your compu-grief!! That is never any fun!!!
I'm so excited about the product focus...I really want to know more about Copics before I spend all that dough on them!! :) What a great idea...you guys are always making this sight better and better!!! Thanks!!

Stamps'nCoffee | May 01, 08 | 2:56 pm

Whew! Talk about panic attacks! I missed you guys! You are sooo part of my day! Glad your'e back and great to hear all of the good stuff that is going on. Oh and THANK YOU for all you do to make this THE most amazing site on the Internet!

Roni | May 01, 08 | 3:41 pm

Wow! The new Product Focus sounds wonderful! Can't wait to see it!

Sharon E. Gibson | May 01, 08 | 4:07 pm

Hi Daven Could we have a shout outon the home page when your member company's come out with new stamp releases. It's fun to see new rubber red, purple or clear but searching all the time takes away from stamping time! DD

DeeDee | May 01, 08 | 4:08 pm

So sorry you had such a bad time with it, and sooooooo glad it's fixed now. We may all panic if we can't get on (aint addiction a wonderful thing) lol But aint it great to be that loved?? Y'all do an amazing job and we love you for it.
The product focus is awesome!! What a great addition to a fabulous site. Now how can we apply to be a tester?? hehehe

Deb B | May 01, 08 | 4:17 pm

Thanks for all your hard work getting things back together! You guys are terrific!

Sandee | May 01, 08 | 5:04 pm

Thank you, thank you , thank you - I panicked last night when I couldn't get in - what would we do without SCS!?!?!

Julia (Artystamper) | May 01, 08 | 5:12 pm

While the site was down as much as I missed being on, I realized that your night was going considerably worse! Thanks for your awesome work in keeping a dynamic site like this running smoothly. Stuff happens. I know all of us must stress every system in place every day.

Kathy | May 01, 08 | 7:01 pm

First of all Daven you have no hair to pull out and hey love the new feature!!

scrappingoodtime | May 01, 08 | 7:21 pm

Its so great to know I'm not the only addict out there that rushes home to check for SCS on Wednesday !! Thanks for all of the great ideas and your hard work :)

robin reinig | May 01, 08 | 7:26 pm

What I'm wondering is whose hair you were pulling out, Daven? lol

lacyquilter | May 01, 08 | 8:42 pm

WB wondered what happened yesterday. I hope you guys have a little hair left. Hope you have a better day today.

foolforstamping | May 02, 08 | 6:57 am

You guys ROCK! Thanks for all your hard work. Hoping today is quiet and blissful for ya'll.

Smile it's a brand new day!

Donna Billingsley | May 02, 08 | 7:04 am

I was downright cranky cuz I couldn't get my SCS! Thanks for the quick cure!

Jody (jfm813) | May 02, 08 | 10:03 am

You guys are awesome!! Thanks for the updates and great news, hope everything works out for you. I know the feeling of not having your computer working propertly.

Debra Hogg | May 02, 08 | 2:37 pm

So sorry for your frustration. I hope you guys are sporting bald patches;) You guys are the best-hope things are running smoother for you now. Can't wait to check out all the new stuff.

Marcee | May 02, 08 | 9:32 pm

Splitcoast is my home page and when it didn't work I felt totally powerless! I needed some directions to share with some folks that come together to stamp and I started blaming my computer. I am certain your frustration level was high and I very much appreciate all the efforts expended to solve the problem. Thank You KTB

Katie Barnett | May 03, 08 | 6:22 am

I just want to say thankyou for keeping cards in the gallery done with retired stamps. I get stamps from others and E-Bay and it is great to see cards others have made with this retired stamp. Please keep this feature alive. Don't let somesone say that these are no longer needed cause they are. Keep up the wonderful work. Addicted to Splitcoast

Yvonne Bagley | May 09, 08 | 12:29 pm