Introducing Dina Kowal

image We are thrilled to introduce you to our new Artist in Residence - Dina Kowal.

Beginning January 1 (which happens to be her birthday!), Dina Kowal will begin as our new Artist in Residence. Dina will be responsible for our tutorial section and answering your "Ask the Artist" questions about techniques and products. We could not be more excited to welcome this talented lady to our team and can't wait to see what she teaches us.

You already know Dina from her gorgeous gallery, as a Dirty Dozen Alumna and coordinator of our Fan Club themes, as a hostess of our Mix-Ability challenge and as a guest tutorial author for us. I fell in love with Dina's art the second I saw it in our gallery. Her work has a dreamy quality, and her skill with coloring mediums - especially colored pencils - is just phenomenal. An incredibly positive person, her upbeat spirit shines through her artistic creations along with her raw talent. Personally, I am honored to be able to call such a great lady a friend.

Here is her introduction in her own words.

I am so thrilled to be joining the Splitcoast Team! Artist in Residence is actually a term that came to my mind months ago when I was pondering my creative goals for the year - Residence speaks of belonging, and I really feel that sense of belonging here. I thank you for trusting me with the Artist part!

What an amazing legacy to carry on… I am so grateful to Beate for the foundation she has laid, and for the wealth of creative ideas she has inspired us all with over the past 10 years. I am so thankful for her generosity in spending time with me behind the scenes (over a 14-hour time difference) to help me learn the ropes, and for her confidence in me.

I joined Splitcoast in 2004, but really found my niche here in 2005, following an international move. Art and creative expression are so deeply important to me, and as I immersed myself into the process of learning a new culture and language, I really needed an outlet where I could share those pieces of my heart that I wasn’t able to express verbally. I fell in love with this community, full of people I could identify with creatively. I also found kindred spirits who shared my faith, and they have been an incredible blessing to me.

I've always loved art and color, and graphic design and mixed-media stamping became my restorative escapes from the pressures of cross-cultural living and busy days. I love what we do here… but there just are days that I want to talk about pencils! I started blogging and design work in 2007, and stamp and product design in 2008. I’m a bit of a rebel as an artist, so I used those experiences to develop my own style, push myself to learn more, and share what I had learned with others. I love writing and I love teaching, so the opportunity to combine those loves with my creative side here is absolutely amazing.

What else would help you know me better? My husband and I homeschool our 4 kiddos (3 boys and a girl) and both teach at a training center for cross-cultural ministry. My training is in Bible, linguistics and intercultural studies, and I also fill a role as a campus Dr. Mom. I enjoy cooking, and I love music. I love coffee. I'm a good listener and fact-checker and a marvelous enabler. I am a shameless introvert, and I treasure rare quiet moments. I love puns and irony and randomness and grace and good grammar. I overuse the word brilliant, and I love to laugh. Rainbow order and gluten-free goodness make my heart sing.

Get ready to be inspired, and stretch yourself to try something new. I am excited to see where the coming year takes us together! ~Dina

Posted by: Understandblue on Dec 16, 13 | 4:19 pm

COMMENTS

I am so happy for you! I know you will do an amazing job in this role, and am so excited to see what you have in store. Big fluffy hugs and pretty music notes to you! From one-third of our trio (do we have a name?). XO

Judy Rozema | Dec 16, 13 | 4:58 pm

I am excited about this upcoming new year and learning from you. I can feel my creativity growing already!

Jean Cross | Dec 16, 13 | 5:08 pm

WHOOOOHOOOOO!! Can I shout any louder??? I just love you (you already knew that) and am soooo excited for your new journey with Splitcoast. This is one of the first places as a crafter that I felt at home! I'm so excited for you!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Misti Ryal | Dec 16, 13 | 5:09 pm

So very proud of you!! I love your work, designs and the way you are! I am so blessed to call you my friend. Peruvian hugs to you!!

Giovana (giogio) | Dec 16, 13 | 5:14 pm

**Waving** Howdy Dina!!! Yipppeee!!!! Welcome and I soooo can't wait to see what you've got in store for us!! Lots of pink and sparkle, right? ;) Ok....I promise to try something other than that! LOL Big HUGS!!!

LuvLee | Dec 16, 13 | 5:16 pm

So happy for you, Dina! A perfect fit!!! Have fun with it! Excited to see what you'll be up to!

Sharon Johnson | Dec 16, 13 | 5:17 pm

Congratulations to Dina. I am so thrilled for you and I can't wait to see what BRILLIANT things you share with us! :)

colleen schaan | Dec 16, 13 | 5:19 pm

Congratulations, Dina. Your art has been and remains an inspiration to me. I admire your artistic style, and your service to others.

Susie Lessard | Dec 16, 13 | 5:44 pm

I love everything you create, Dina. I am so excited that you are talking over!
HUGS

Beate | Dec 16, 13 | 5:56 pm

One of many things you were born to do. But I don't know the languages for the rest of them. Congratulations my friend- this is SO you!

Deonne | Dec 16, 13 | 6:01 pm

Congrats!! You are quite the inspiring lady! I can't wait to see what we can learn from you next!

Jessica | Dec 16, 13 | 6:05 pm

Congratulations, Dina! What a great day to start... your birthday!

Caterina | Dec 16, 13 | 6:10 pm

I am so excited for you! I can't wait to see where you take us!

Angie (ohmypaper!) | Dec 16, 13 | 6:12 pm

Dina, I was sad to hear that Beate was stepping down but THRILLED to know that you are taking her place. I've been lucky to get to know you through the HYCCT challenges and truly admire your art. All the best to you in your new role here. I, for one, am happy that we will be seeing more of you. Enjoy the experience.

Kathy/ CaKath | Dec 16, 13 | 6:30 pm

Congratulations, Dina! I have admired your artist style, and your service to other for a long time.

Susie Lessard | Dec 16, 13 | 6:45 pm

To think I knew you back in the day before you became famous!!! Way to go, my friend! I've always bragged on your talent but really your talent speaks for itself. I'm thrilled for you in this new adventure and look forward to seeing you flourish as you help others...something you are really good at. Love you.

Melody | Dec 16, 13 | 6:59 pm

Looking forward to your leadership! You have a gift and I'm so glad you're sharing it with us!

Wanda Cullen | Dec 16, 13 | 7:23 pm

Congratulations and Welcome!!!! I've enjoyed getting to know you as a Dirty Girl and I love the art you create. You have already inspired me and I can't wait to see what the future holds!! :)

Brenda Quintana | Dec 16, 13 | 7:32 pm

You will ROCK this girlfriend! :)

Trudy Sjolander | Dec 16, 13 | 7:41 pm

So excited to see you getting this new opportunity ... can't wait to enjoy the ride with you.

SmilynStef | Dec 16, 13 | 7:56 pm

Oh this is fabulous news!! Congratulations Dina!! You are outrageously talented and I cannot wait to learn form you!

Laurie Schmidlin | Dec 16, 13 | 8:06 pm

Congrats Dina! Looking forward to your inspiration this year.

Stampinak | Dec 16, 13 | 8:25 pm

Congrats to you Dina- so fab for you! Your work is so inspiring- looking forward to seeing more of your gorgeous creative ideas!
Shelly Schmidt

mcschmidty | Dec 16, 13 | 8:26 pm

I stand with all our community, our stampin' fam in wishing you inspiration, creativity overflowing, and times of refreshing when that is what you need! I am excited for you as you step out in faith,

I recently picked up a wooden stamp at my local lss 'cause I loved the font and quote...when I saw it had your name on the side for IO...I had to smile as I thought...oh, I 'know' Dina!

Susan/One4Joy | Dec 16, 13 | 8:42 pm

I am sooooo happy to see you becoming the "Artist of Residence" here at Splitcoaststampers! #

You are one of the most talented crafters I know .. with a wonderful soul!

All the best for your new job!

Looking forward to see you rocking this :) :) :)

Sylvia (aka ~Fee~)

Sylvia Blum | Dec 16, 13 | 9:18 pm

Congratulations Dina! So HAPPY for you!

Jocelyn K | Dec 16, 13 | 10:03 pm

Congratulations, Dina!! Well deserved - you are so very talented!

Sue28 | Dec 16, 13 | 10:31 pm

My friend and "sis" - I am so delighted for you! You've been an incredible inspiration to me artistically and in faith - thanks for all that and all the laughs too - sending a big hug of congratulations!

Bridget | Dec 17, 13 | 1:34 am

Congratulations Dina. You are so talented. I look forward to seeing you around.

Beth Norman | Dec 17, 13 | 2:21 am

Congratulations, Dina! I think I've watched every video you've ever posted on your blog and look forward to seeing where you take us! Your talent and faith is an inspiration to us all!

Cathy | Dec 17, 13 | 4:50 am

I can't think of a better person for this job than you! Congratulations and I can't wait to see what you have in store for us!

Paula | Dec 17, 13 | 5:52 am

Congratulations, Dina! I am a huge fan of yours and look forward to what you have to teach us in the coming year!

Pam Stang | Dec 17, 13 | 6:06 am

Congratulations Dina!!! You are going to be AMAZING, I have no doubt! Looking forward to even more inspiration from you.

Libby Hickson | Dec 17, 13 | 6:16 am

what a great addition! COngrats. I know you'll be fabulous here with SCS. thanks for sharing your talents.

Lisa Henke | Dec 17, 13 | 6:26 am

Congratulations, Dina...and welcome! How exciting! I've been a longtime fan of your work and love your amazing style and coloring! A perfect fit! Hugs!

CherylQuilts | Dec 17, 13 | 6:38 am

Congratulations Dina!!! We look forward to the gift of your talent that you share so well. Blessings!! Kim

Kim - Luv Flowers | Dec 17, 13 | 7:01 am

Congrats, Dina! How exciting! Can't wait to see what you'll do!

Julie Warner -justwritedesigns | Dec 17, 13 | 8:20 am

Great news, Dina! While I've enjoyed Beate's tutorials for many years, I'm super excited for this new adventure for all of us! Congratulations, friend....

Kathy Lund | Dec 17, 13 | 8:43 am

Congratulations! This is exciting news. I'm so happy for you. I know you will be a great fit for this position!

MariLynn | Dec 17, 13 | 8:56 am

Dina, You are an absolute treasure to this community. I am in awe of your artistic coloring skills, your wonderful imagination and your beautiful creations. Big hugs being sent your way!

Kittie (kittie747) | Dec 17, 13 | 10:13 am

You certainly have big shoes to fill, but I can't think of anyone more prepared and qualified than you Dina! Congratulations.

Lynn Mercurio | Dec 17, 13 | 10:54 am

I got really excited when you mentioned colored pencils, Dina. I took a watercolor class recently and they talked about incorporating pencil sometimes in the painting. I want to buy a good set of colored pencils and so I am sure I will enjoy your techniques and maybe get answers to my questions since I haven't done a lot of pencil medium. Congratulations on your new undertaking with SCS.

Janine Hobbs (nines) | Dec 17, 13 | 11:43 am

Congrats Dina!

Lynn aka muzbysmom | Dec 17, 13 | 12:30 pm

Congratulations Dina!!! You will be brilliant at anything you choose to do and WE (the SCS community) will be the recepients of that brilliance...........

Tina AKA GardenDiva | Dec 17, 13 | 1:06 pm

Congratulations Dina, love your work and follow you, am excited to see what you have in store for us and your introduction was very informative.

Also a big hug and thank you to Beate for all her hard work, you have also been one of my inspirations.
Cheers
Marg :)

Marg Mortimer aka margscardcrazy | Dec 17, 13 | 2:03 pm

Congratulations Dina or maybe I should be saying congratulations to SplitCoast Stampers you have got yourselves one very talented artist who brings more talent than any one person could possibly hope for. Cant wait to learn from you.

Aileen | Dec 17, 13 | 2:46 pm

Congratulations Dina! We are so lucky to have your expertise. You come on the heels of another talented lady, and we will once again be the beneficiaries of great knowledge! I'm so excited :)

Cheryl O | Dec 17, 13 | 9:36 pm

Congratulations Dina, your work has always inspired me and I can't wait to see what the new year brings.

Susie Williams aka susie australia | Dec 17, 13 | 9:39 pm

{{{{Standing Ovation & Applause }}}}
Excellent Choice! Congratulations Dina!

scrapaholic007 / Shannon | Dec 17, 13 | 10:31 pm

Congratulations Dini, on your new position here at SCS! You have been an inspiration to me since I've been a member. I can't wait to see what you have in store for the coming year. I look forward to learning a lot from you. Best of Luck to you! :)

Gabby - gabalot | Dec 18, 13 | 2:49 am

Congratulations Dina! Well earned.

Lynne | Dec 18, 13 | 2:52 am

BIG CONGRATULATIONS to you Dina, I think SCS is also a winner because they just got one of the best crafters in the world. I can't wait to see what you have in store for all of us in the year 2014. I'm so lucky to have found you, I absolutely love all your work, I have learned so much from you so, thank you, thank you for sharing your amazing talent with all of us.
Hugs,
Maria A. Rodriguez, from Crown Point, IN.

Maria A. Rodriguez | Dec 18, 13 | 3:22 am

Congratulations Dina! You don't know me, but I've been learning from you for at least a couple of years now! Thank you for all your inspirations! Love and Blessings, Lisa

Lisa S. Wilson | Dec 18, 13 | 4:15 am

Looking forward to your work. I have received so much inspiration from the tutorials and ideas. Good luck!

Ina Lea | Dec 18, 13 | 4:43 am

Congratulations, Dina! How exciting for you and us. I cannot wait to see where this journey takes you and expands us creatively.

Victoria H. | Dec 18, 13 | 4:53 am

Couldn't have made a better choice...CONGRATULATIONS.

Joyce B | Dec 18, 13 | 5:00 am

WELCOME!!!

Rannah Romps | Dec 18, 13 | 7:06 am

Congratulations Dina! Your art work and bright spirit have been an inspiration for me for years! Wishing you continued success Sister!

Take care and STAY POSITIVE!!

Trena in Naperville | Dec 18, 13 | 7:39 am

Congrats Dina! You are a perfect fit for this position! Can't wait to see what you have in store for us in 2014!

Allison Cope (thecircleguru) | Dec 18, 13 | 8:19 am

Wow, look what happens when I don't get on SCS for a few days!
Congratulations,Dina! You will do a great job. That fact checker trait you talked about means you have great tutorials that make sense.
I love your work and you have inspired me to do more multi-media things. I have always been intimidated by them but I also love many mediums and have used them through the years but usually seperately!
Can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve for us.
Carry On, girl!

Pat | Dec 18, 13 | 2:55 pm

Congratulations, my friend! Well-deserved! So proud of you!

Deb | Dec 18, 13 | 6:20 pm

First I am sad to see Beate leave. She has been such an inspiration and is such a nice person. Always willing to help with any questions I may have.
Then to Dina...Congrats!!! Your talent is boundless. I always love your art and then you seem to be such a kind and caring person, a true Christian attitude. Looking forward to seeing all you do. Enjoy your new journey.

Sylvia Johnson | Dec 19, 13 | 5:55 am

Congratulations, Dina! Can't wait to see what you have in store for us. I love learning new things, and I'm sure you can teach me a lot.

Lois Bak (clownmom) | Dec 19, 13 | 1:39 pm

What great news. I am a BIG fan so I can't wait to see all the great things you share with us Dina! Hugz!

Nancy (nwilliams6) | Dec 21, 13 | 3:36 am

I am so excited for you, Dina! You are such an inspiration for me and I love your 'pushing' your creative spirit - we all win when you show us the results. Happy Birthday on the 1st and may the new year brings wondrous excitement for you and all of us.

Janey | Dec 21, 13 | 1:51 pm

Congradulations Dina!
Can't wait to see all the great things you will propose to us! I liked all your gallery, especially Your work on Mix-Ability challenges! :D

Tootsy | Dec 21, 13 | 9:50 pm

Welcome to your new and exciting role! I love your gallery and can only expect more creative tutorials and fun techniques from you! Yay! Let me know if their is anything I can do to help! Hugs from Seattle, Audrie

Audrie | Dec 22, 13 | 8:50 am

Congrats Dina, you are very clever and I always look at your projects and marvel. Terrific that you will officially be our teacher! So much to learn from you :)

Cindy (frenzied stamper) | Dec 23, 13 | 2:53 am

Congrats Dina!! Such a well-deserved honor. I'm so happy for you! Looking forward to an exciting year and learning lots from you.

Loll Thompson | Dec 30, 13 | 5:12 pm