It's a Beate-Ful Life

image This month's Fan Club gallery has a very special theme, and brings with it some very big news!

Ten years ago, long before papercrafting tutorials were commonplace, Beate Johns started creating them for Splitcoaststampers. In February of 2004, these tutorials became the beginning of our free tutorial and resource section. Beate's ability to demonstrate techniques in a clear, easy to understand way, and her incredible talent for creating beautiful, artistic projects combined to make what is still today the most popular feature of the site.

Not too long afterwards, Beate became the original Dirty Girl, and the Dirty Dozen was born.

Now, ten years, more than 500 tutorials and nearly 400 Weekly Inkling newsletters later, our sweet Beate is retiring from her job here at Splitcoast. It's been a huge honor for us to work with such an incredibly talented artist and friend, and we will miss her very, very much.

Here she is in her own words: "I have been a member of Splitcoaststampers since two months after it was created. I loved the site and used it often. So often, in fact, that by the middle of 2003 Daven asked me to start writing tutorials for the site. I was thrilled that I was asked and a bit scared. Soon I found that writing tutorials goes well with my analytical mind.

Short precise sentences and step by step instructions I can do, this farewell letter is a lot harder.

I have enjoyed all ten years of working for Splitcoaststampers. It is such a wonderful resource with amazing, caring and thoughtful members. I will still be a member, but after 10 years of writing tutorials, I am a bit burned out. I thought it was time to make room for someone else. Someone who is fresh, who has lots of new ideas and will be an inspiration to everyone.

Thanks so much to everyone for your kind and encouraging words on my projects and tutorials. See you around!"

As we have planned the transition over the last few months, we thought that a great way to send Beate off into retirement was to dedicate this month's Fan Club gallery to her "Beate-ful" creations.

Instead of choosing two new designers, Lori and I stood in this month with the rest of the Design Team, and all of us have done our best to pay tribute to all the inspiration Beate has given all of us and the Splitcoast community over the past ten years. We hope we've done it justice.

Beginning January 1st we will welcome Dina Kowal, who you all already know and love, as our new Artist in Residence. Between now and then we will tell her story and help you get to know her a little better as she continues to amaze you with her art and creativity. We are thrilled to have as a member of our team and look forward to seeing her talent shine.

Now - please come and join us in the Fan Club Gallery as we celebrate a Beate-ful Life.

The sneak peek artwork is courtesy of Dirty Dozen Designer Jeanne Jachna.

Posted by: Understandblue on Dec 15, 13 | 10:00 am

COMMENTS

Words cannot adequately express what you have meant and done for stampers and crafters everywhere, Beate. I guess that's why we all stamp :)
We will miss you in this role, and wish you the very best!
xo

Judy Rozema | Dec 15, 13 | 10:05 am

CONGRATS Beate!!!! You are amazing and such an inspiration!!! Thank you for all you've done and it was a thrill and an honor to be part of this tribute to you!!!! And welcome to Dina...another amazing artiste!!!

LuvLee | Dec 15, 13 | 10:07 am

Beate, you have been such an inspiration to me since the first day I discover Splitcoaststampers. I have learned so much from you and wish you best!

Melody Rupple | Dec 15, 13 | 10:43 am

I love you. For everything.

Jenn | Dec 15, 13 | 10:53 am

Amazing Beate, You will be missed. You have been a great inspiration to all of us.

Brenda Quintana | Dec 15, 13 | 10:56 am

Golly, Beate! I remember the first time we met, just after the creation of the Dirty Dozen. You are just as amazing now as you were then, and you will be sorely missed m'lady! Thanks for every little bitty thing you've given of yourself to the success and wonder of Splitcoaststampers!!

{{{{hugs from Texas}}}}
~Bev

TexasGrammy | Dec 15, 13 | 11:01 am

Oh, my, Beate! You have been such an inspiration and joy, and I have LOVED all the wonderful creations and your fabulous tutorials (especially the videos for those of us who are more visual)! You have been a mainstay here at SCS (doing so much!!), and I wish you God's richest blessings…you will be dearly missed but fondly and lovingly remembered! Hugs!

CherylQuilts | Dec 15, 13 | 11:59 am

Tutorials were my first intro to Splitcoast and the challenges on your blog were why I started my gallery here - so thank you for that and everything else you've contributed here over the years, Beate. Wishing you happiness wherever life takes you next.

Sabrina | Dec 15, 13 | 12:08 pm

Beate, you're amazingly talented and Splitcoast owes so much to your hard work and devotion <3 it makes my heart happy to think of those early years and all we built together.

Daven | Dec 15, 13 | 12:42 pm

Beate you were one of the first on line stampers I "met!" I always looked forward to your fabulous creations and oh so helpful tutorials! You truly are a pioneer in the on line stamping world! When I bought some retired sets from you, you sent a card along with them........it still hangs in my craft room! Wishing you all the best!

Linda Callahan | Dec 15, 13 | 12:43 pm

Beate, your art and your tutorials are some of my faves and I've looked to you many times for inspiration! Hugs and a big thanks for all your years of service to the stamping community! We'll miss you, but also look forward to the next chapter with Dina!

Wanda Cullen | Dec 15, 13 | 1:31 pm

I remember meeting you at the Copic certification class in Pensacola. You have always been a source of inspiration and encouragement. Best wishes on your next life's journey.

Peggy McCurry | Dec 15, 13 | 1:43 pm

I have been a SCS member since Oct. 2004 with my favorite SCS stamper from the very beginning being the very talented and sweet Beate. I was thrilled to hear your voice when you 1st started your tutorials and will miss your clear and simple tutorials and your cute accent :-) Thank you for all your inspiration and for my folder with so many of your tutorials :-) Happy Stamping and creating with your extra time!

nancy littrell | Dec 15, 13 | 1:50 pm

Beate, thank you so much for all your years of service to SCS! You leave behind a tremendous number of fabulous tutorials, and even more friends. You have been an inspiration and a blessing to all of us for a long, long time. May God bless you in your future endeavors!

Cindy Lawrence | Dec 15, 13 | 2:35 pm

Beate, I'm sad that you're stepping away, because you are an amazing lady with wonderful talent. Hugs and best wishes as you enter new pursuits.

lacyquilter | Dec 15, 13 | 3:40 pm

Beate you were my first CASE when I joined SCS and I still go to your gallery for inspiration! I learned [and still do] so much from you over the years and I THANK YOU! Good luck on your future endeavors, as I am sure there will be something! Meanwhile, "happy retirement"~

vicki | Dec 15, 13 | 5:07 pm

Beate, In the past year of designing for MFP I have had to learn a lot of (new to me) techniques and I always turned to SCS first! Your step by step instructions and wonderful video tutorials have been a lifeline!!! I had a blast this month gazing at your gallery and drooling! My only regret is that I didn't have more time to create more projects in celebration of you! Thank you for leaving such a huge legacy here at SCS! Wishing you all the best in your new adventures.

Angie (ohmypaper!) | Dec 15, 13 | 5:07 pm

You will be missed, Beate! Just be sure to stick around as a member and I'll be happy! Blessings!

Diane (fionna51) | Dec 15, 13 | 5:27 pm

Whenever I heard your voice starting out a tutorial, I knew it would be well put together and easy to understand (and I can't say that about all of the stuff I see on YouTube). I will sorely miss you, but I do understand the concept of burn-out and would not wish you to continue past that point. Thank you for all your hard work and beautiful projects!!!

Susan | Dec 15, 13 | 5:35 pm

I have always enjoyed your tutorials and your voice is so easy to listen to. Thank you for sharing your wonderful designs and for explaining how to make them. Enjoy your retirement! Thanks again!

Deborah Frings | Dec 15, 13 | 5:48 pm

Congrats Beate on your retirement. You will be very much missed. I have really enjoyed your tutorials. They have been very well done. Best wishes!

Corliss McBride | Dec 15, 13 | 6:14 pm

Beate, you are such a talented and generous artist! I always enjoy reading your tutorials and advice on the weekly newsletter. You helped me feel welcomed in this cyber-crafting world! Thank you for all you have done! May God bless you in your retirement, and whatever future endeavors you take!

Kim (berlycece) | Dec 15, 13 | 6:16 pm

Congratulations on your retirement, Beate! Thank you SO VERY much for your tutorials, inspiration, and support over the years! Big hugs, and best wishes always! ♥

Rose Ann | Dec 15, 13 | 10:35 pm

Thank you so much for all your hard work and fabulous tutorials, Beate! I have enjoyed (and used) them so much. And I was really honored and loved doing the tutorials you asked for. I hope to still see your gorgeous creations in the gallery! Best of luck on your future endeavors!

Julie Warner -justwritedesigns | Dec 16, 13 | 8:23 am

Oh, Beate, so sad to see you retiring! I always love your tutorials and am amazed at how talented you are. You have inspired many! Good luck!! And welcome to Dina - I know that she will be wonderful!!!

Debbie Carriere | Dec 16, 13 | 11:18 am

I have been trying since yesterday to come up with something to write that will fully express what an inspiration you are to me, and to be honest, I am coming up short. There are NO words!!! You have always been my stamping hero and I will miss you here on SCS so much. Beate and SCS just go together :) You are such an inspiration, and I will always cherish getting to hang out with you at CHA (and running towards one another on the show floor lol). Love you girlie!!!

Jodi Collins | Dec 16, 13 | 11:35 am

Beate,
You will be so missed as you have been this constant guide for me. I cannot begin to express my thanks to you for all your positive remarks and responses to my questions..You are an amazing talent.

sumtoy | Dec 16, 13 | 11:38 am

I'll miss you and your tutorials. I've "known" you ever since I discovered Splitcoaststampers in 2008. Thanks for all your work.
Eveline.

Eveline van Heijst | Dec 16, 13 | 11:40 am

Beate, I became a member here, just so I could avail myself of your wonderful tutorials! You will be sorely missed. Thanks for all you have done for Splitcoast, and for all of us stampers, who surely would not be as polished (!) without you. Best wishes for all you do in the future.

Anne Harmon (jdmommy) | Dec 16, 13 | 12:41 pm

Oh my Beate, you have been SUCH an inspiration to me over the years!!! I was lucky enough to meet you in person at CHA a few years ago and you are as sweet as can be! You and your tutorials will be greatly missed! HUGS to you!

Dawn Easton | Dec 16, 13 | 12:45 pm

Best Wishes, Beate! I've learned so much over the years thanks to your wonderful tutorials. May whatever the future holds for you bring you joy! Thank you!

Lee-Anne (Shadow's Mom) | Dec 16, 13 | 12:45 pm

Awe, Beate - I will miss your tutorials so much. You have taught me more than you will ever know. And I love your style. Your talent was, and is, an inspiration to so many.
I do hope that you will not disappear. If you do, you will be missed. Best of luck, and thanks for sharing yourself with us!!

Judy Woodland | Dec 16, 13 | 1:15 pm

As with everyone else, I shall miss you. As a beginning stamper I often used your tutorials for techniques and ideas. best wishes for the very best of what lies in your future.

Joanne Beck | Dec 16, 13 | 4:24 pm

Beate, you have been a tremendous source of inspiration and education since I began paper crafting nearly 8 years ago. Your generosity by freely sharing your knowledge has set the standard for on-line etiquette. Thank you so much for all you have given to the stamping community!!

Stef Perry | Dec 16, 13 | 6:12 pm

Beate- you have been so amazing and inspirational to me since I first found SCS many years ago. You have taught thousands++++ so many fun and creative techniques. Thank you so much for all you have given to us here at SCS. xoxox.

Karan | Dec 16, 13 | 7:05 pm

Beate - I will miss you. I've learned so much from you that I feel I'm in your debt. Enjoy your new-found free time!

Vicki | Dec 16, 13 | 8:12 pm

You have always been my #1 inspiration! Thank you for all that you have given to this community! Wishing you the very best!

Amy Sheffer | Dec 16, 13 | 9:16 pm

Thank you, beate for all you have down. Yes I use your tutorials a lot and have been thankful for them. Especially liked your video tutorials. Wishing you the very best.

Janeenk | Dec 16, 13 | 9:18 pm

Beate, we will miss seeing new tutorials from you but are so thankful for the hundreds that will remain as a testimony to your creative and sharing spirit! Thank you for your faithfulness to the Splitcoaststampers community and we wish you all the best!!

Julie Gearinger | Dec 17, 13 | 1:27 am

Beate, what has impressed me most about you is how kind and considerate you are to everyone. Your patience with us when attempt to write a tutorial to share is appreciated so very much. I love your own tutorials, but what I'll long remember about working with you is your kindness. Enjoy your retirement. Love you!

Laura lipe | Dec 17, 13 | 2:27 pm

Thanks Beate for all your hard work, you are an inspiration to me & many others! Good luck & I hope I will still see you around blogland. Hugs Rita

Rita | Dec 17, 13 | 3:52 pm

Thanks for all you have done to make SCS what it is today...you are a super star!!!!! Enjoy your *retirement* and know we all love you and appreciate your wonderful sweet self!!!! See you in the gallery!!!!

Joan Ervin | Dec 17, 13 | 7:05 pm

I learned some of my very first cool cards folds from Splitcoaststampers and Beate. When I play technique videos for the visual learner [me! :)], I smile when I hear, "I wanna show you how...". Good luck Beate and thanks!

SportsFan | Dec 17, 13 | 8:12 pm

Beate, since being a member, I have enjoyed your art and loved your videos. I have learned a lot from you, for which I am grateful. As well, I appreciate the help and advice you have occasionally given me. You will be sorely missed by all! I wish you the best of everything! :)

Gabby - gabalot | Dec 18, 13 | 2:57 am

Beate,
You were the one person in all of blogland that gave me hope that I could learn this craft. One thing I did make my mind up about is as follows. Only one DT team, and do the very best to serve those who posted and team members. You have blessed me on a weekly basis with your articulate and hands on tutorials. May I extend heartfelt thanks for all you have done, Merry Christmas and a Happy, Blessed and Refreshing New Year!

Carole Bisson | Dec 18, 13 | 4:14 am

I would never have survived this craft without your wonderful tutorials. There is no way of telling how many lives you have touched with your generosity of time and talent. You will be sorely missed. Thank You!

Ina Lea | Dec 18, 13 | 4:40 am

Thanks for the memories! I will continue to use all I have learned from you! Best in all you do. Thank you!

Nancy McKay | Dec 18, 13 | 5:09 am

Beate, what can I say that others have not said. I have used your tutorials continuously and greatly appreciate them. I am retired myself and love it, so I wish you peace and great happiness. Audrey

coopzie | Dec 18, 13 | 5:10 am

Beate, you have been the source of SOOO much that I have learned. I have a special file on my computer for your cards. I have loved so many of them. You always were SOOO good about answering my questions. I will truly miss your input.

Mary Doerder | Dec 18, 13 | 6:15 am

OMG I will miss you so much. I have learned so much from you and hate to see you go, you are a storehouse of creativity and knowledge. I have often said, she knows everything just ask Beate. I can understand burn out though and you do deserve a rest for sure. Enjoy and Happy Holidays Beate.

Eileen L. | Dec 18, 13 | 6:32 am

I think I have always had a girl crush on Beate...Best wishes in whatever you do going forward. You are amazing!

Jane Harrah | Dec 18, 13 | 6:40 am

You will sooooo be missed! I think of you as the "glitter" on SCS!!

joyk | Dec 18, 13 | 7:00 am

You will be missed, but we all hope you get to sit back and enjoy.

Rannah Romps | Dec 18, 13 | 7:05 am

I have used countless number of your ideas, Beate! You will be missed. I hope you are off to do another fun thing in the place of Splitcoast! I will miss you!

Patti MacLeith | Dec 18, 13 | 7:45 am

Congratulations on your retirement and Thank you for all your fabulous tutorials and inspiration over the years. You will be missed. Best wishes.

Priscilla L | Dec 18, 13 | 8:48 am

Beate, I hope you enjoy your retirement. I wanted to thank you for all I've learned, especially the video at the end of many tutorials. It has given me the confidence to try a technique new or old to me.

Susan | Dec 18, 13 | 9:21 am

So, Beate:), now you just get to relax and play as the mood inspires, and you are a very inspired and inspiring kinda gal:) But, you have created such a legacy on this site and will always be here doing what you do so very well--inspiring and facilitating creativity in us. Because of every little piece of your heart and talent that you have left imbedded in this site and in the lives of so many of us who have had the pleasure of either meeting you in person or in cyber encouragement, I will use another form of the word that so aptly describes you...

INSPIRATION ~ Thank you so much for pouring 10 years of your life into ours:)

Michele | Dec 18, 13 | 9:30 am

Congratulations Beate on your retirement. I've always love your great step by step tutorials here on SCS. You are so inspiring to many card makers such as me. ;)
Welcome Dini. Looking forward to your inspirations as well. Thank you.

Connie Jones | Dec 18, 13 | 11:32 am

Beate , I have so enjoyed all of your tutorials and your videos are great. I will miss your creativity. Enjoy your retirement. Hugs, Patti

Patti McDermott | Dec 18, 13 | 11:45 am

this is amazing. thanks for everything

avazquez | Dec 18, 13 | 12:42 pm

Beate, your tutorials have been my papercraft university! Thank you so much.

Bernice | Dec 18, 13 | 1:22 pm

Beate - Thank you for all you have taught me over the years. You do great work and I appreciate all you've done for us all. Best wishes!

Paula | Dec 18, 13 | 5:28 pm

Farewell Beate! You have been such an inspiration to all of us! Thank you for all the hard work and creativity you have given us these 10 years! And good luck with everything that the future holds!

Jen | Dec 18, 13 | 5:38 pm

Beate--Thanks you so much for all you have done for the crafting community. I have so enjoyed all of your projects and tutorials. You do lovely work! I will miss you!

Vesta | Dec 18, 13 | 6:39 pm

Beate, hopefully the system will let me post this time! Selfishly, I feel like the last of the old guard is leaving the building. Fortunately there's still room for being happy for you to experience new ventures...as long as you don't abandon us entirely... Hugs and best wishes, Betsy

MSBetsyZ | Dec 18, 13 | 7:14 pm

Dear Beate, You will never know how much you have infuenced my papercrafting over the years! I owe you an enormous debt of gratitude! I want you to know how much you have been appreciated by me and, I'm sure, many, many other papercrafters!!!! Blessings to you and your family! ~~~Debbie

Debbie Koch | Dec 18, 13 | 8:00 pm

Thanks for the years of wonderful projects and tutorials.
You have inspired so many of us.
Best of luck to you!
PJ

jessie adams | Dec 19, 13 | 5:27 am

Congratulations on retirement. Your tutorial are ones that I find myself using again and again. You will be missed.

Kristy Tyra | Dec 19, 13 | 7:22 am

You will be missed terribly!

Pam Chambers | Dec 19, 13 | 7:23 am

Thank you for everything!

Adrian | Dec 19, 13 | 4:13 pm

May your life be filled with smiles. Your tutorials have been something I've looked forward even if I didn't always do the projects myself. All the best.

Tesserae | Dec 19, 13 | 4:54 pm

Thank you for 10 years (?!! wow has it really been 10 years?) of dedication, inspiration, clarity, vision and creativity! Your tutorials have always been clear, understandable and actually re-creatable. Thank You! I wish you joy as you move on to your next adventure.
R/

Rufus1931 | Dec 19, 13 | 9:31 pm

I'm form Costa Rica, I've started on card making 3.5 years ago, after my first personal class, I started to dig in many websites to learn more and more and then I found Splitcoaststampers. Since then I've been following this page, you, you're comments on Weekly Inkling, you have been my teacher ever since. Thanks for all the education and inspiration you've shared over this years. Many blessings on to you!!!

Yessika | Dec 20, 13 | 7:03 pm

Can you autograph my binder filled with printouts of so many of your tutorials? Yes before those wonderful videos you inspired us through your wonderful instructions and step by step pages. You gave us all a reason to be better stampers. Congratulations on your successful journey, please thank your family for your amazing dedication.

Pam Strobel | Dec 23, 13 | 7:05 pm

Sweet Beate, You have poured so much of your time and energy into the tutorials and we have been on the receiving end. It is time that you do something where you can rest and receive now. Hope they keep your tutorials up for us. We are all going to miss you! And now we welcome Dina and look forward to her creativity as she keeps everyone moving forward in the art world.

Rosy Newlun | Dec 23, 13 | 9:03 pm

If I could use a word to describe you, Beate, it would be "accessible." Always prompt in your response. Always encouraging us to try a new technique. Always cheering us on. I wish you the very best in your future endeavors. You've left a wonderful legacy of tutorials that will continue to teach those who love to create.

Susie Lessard | Dec 23, 13 | 9:41 pm

Thank you Beate for everything! Not only have you posted tutorials pushing us to our limits and helped us with website issues but thanks to you I have discovered Splitcoast and enjoyed every minute of it. All of us here will miss you and your incredible tutorials.

Nancy Stislow | Dec 24, 13 | 7:44 am

Bhavisha | Dec 24, 13 | 11:06 am

Beate thank you for all the wonderful tutorials, you will be soooooo missed. I think of you every time I make a stair step card (every week). Have a wonderful retirement. Big hugs, susie australia. xx

Susie Williams | Dec 26, 13 | 1:17 am