Have you seen Julia Stainton's blog tutorial on sewing on paper? Her samples were just gorgeous! Toward the end she mentioned linking to it, and I knew that I really wanted to pull out my sewing machine and give a Julia-card a whirl. I've sewn on cards before, but not for about the last year. First, I usually stamp in the middle of the night. My sewing machine is not quiet. Second, I honestly dislike sewing. I have the utmost respect for those who do it well, but "I do not like it, Sam I am!"
No matter. I did it. I sewed on my card tonight. This one's for you, Julia! As I sat there layering Big Blossoms a couple of days ago, it occurred to me how very much it looked like the layers on a stylized rose. So I thought I'd take a funky set and see if I could make it a bit vintage. I used a Victorian Leaves backgrounder from Cornish Heritage Farms (one that Keri Sereika made me buy), as well as Stampin' Up's Linen background. I used several of the blooms from Big Blooms, and the leaf from Bodacious Bouquet. I tried stitching in freeform curves on my square the first time and cut them off. . . They weren't curved enough to look loose and random, just curved enough to look crooked. So I tried a zig-zag stitch next, and that worked out better for me. My rose seemed to need a stem, so I used a straight stitch for that, trying the curve again in a more pronounced style. It's not Julia's but it will do in a pinch. Thanks for the inspiration, Julia!
Card stock: Very Vanilla (for leaves), Ivory Naturals for square and card base, Blush Blossom for large mat, Pretty in Pink for smaller mat.
Ink: Blush Blossom, Pretty in Pink, Certainly Celery, and Close to Cocoa.
Date: Wednesday, June 6, 2007 GMT Views: 1601
Stamps: Big Blooms
Paper: Very Vanilla (for leaves), Ivory Naturals for square and card base, Blush Blossom for large mat, Pretty in Pink for smaller mat
Ink: Blush Blossom, Pretty in Pink, Certainly Celery, and Close to Cocoa