I really do have other Cuttlebug embossing folders! I just keep reaching for the Tiny Bubbles one, though, don't I? ;) I like its versatility. The ones Provocraft makes with only words on them are cute and all, but they're so limiting on what you can do with them. The non-word patterned ones are able to be used on any card. Maybe even every card as I demonstrating. hehe
This card is for my young nephew who likes nature. It's a simple design with a few extras that make for some WOW. Of course, I used the Tiny Bubbles folder! Am I getting obnoxious about using that thing yet? :D
I stamped Bravo Burgundy cs with the retired Paisley Print background stamp using Versamark ink. Then I ran part of the front through the Tiny Bubbles folder and Cuttlebugged it. When using the embossing folders with heavy patterns, you need to consider that the cardstock will shrink a bit due to the pulling up of the cardstock into the textured pattern. I generally allow for some extra length and then trim off what I don't need after running it through the Cuttlebug. Some cutters are terrible at hacking at the Cuttlebugged cardstock. Be careful if yours is like that or you'll have a not-so-nice mess on your hands. My Cricut cutter was like that, but my new (& improved, it says) Fiskars 12" cutter smoothly cuts it.
I stamped the CTMH "Happy Birthday" word stamp on the lower front (don't you just love the clear acrylic stamps? So easy to position!). Then I added the black grosgrain ribbon and adhered the silver buckle charm thingy onto the ribbon. I'm hoping it stays put! I used a Dimensional and some Diamond Glaze, so there's hope.
For the deer feature I stamped in Basic Black on glossy white cs and let it dry. Then I did the watercoloring with markers and a water brush. I recommend that if you try this, you have a scratch piece of the same cs you're using and test the markers to see how fast they set by rubbing them on the scratch piece and then wiping over them with the water brush. Then you can figure out how soon you need to hit the ink with the water brush. Some set REALLY fast. Some give you time to blend. For those that set fast, I usually just take the water brush and rub the bristles on the marker tip and then apply it, rather than putting the marker tip directly onto the cs. I used Baroque Burgundy (don't have the marker for Bravo Burgundy yet), Really Rust, Creamy Caramel, Summer Sun, Close to Cocoa, and even some Old Olive to achieve the colors you see. I did lots of blending. Using just Baroque Burgundy would've given it a pinkish appearance. So I just kept adding colors until I got the look I wanted. After it was done drying, I used Really Rust and Close to Cocoa markers and the Inkworx air art gun to give the background a splattered appearance. I let that dry.
Then once that dried I punched 1/16" holes in the corners. I punched the same-sized holes in black cs and then flipped my 1/4" circle punch over and positioned it with the 1/16" inch holes in the center and punched out. That gave me circles with holes in the middles. I used those under the silver mini brads in the corners of the deer scene. They look like rivets. Pretty cool. And they accent the buckle very nicely, I think. I adhered that to black cs and mounted it onto the card with Dimensionals. And then it was done.
It was nice to do a simple design for a change, although I like being stretched by Amy's and SCS's challenges. It's just what I needed to help my floundering creativity along.
Date: Sunday, April 22, 2007 GMT Views: 2449