There are so many directions you can go with this challenge and I've used two examples from the challenge post.
For the polka-dot background I painted a book page in pink acrylic and then painted a coat of clear sealant (Mod Podge) over it. Then I painted purple over the top and let it dry. Once it was dry I placed a stencil (sorry I don't know the source) over it and sprayed rubbing alcohol on top then rubbed away the paint exposed in the stencil.
The next technique is to use a wax resist as is common in distressing paint on furniture. I stamped a sentiment on painted paper and sealed it as before, then rubbed a tealight candle over the sentiment. Painted white over it and then shot it with the heat gun (not too close to melt the wax) then rubbed off the paint with a paper towel. Fun stuff. I'll be doing that a lot more. :)
I hope you'll join us this week on the Mix-Ability forum!
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni SCS Gallery Moderator Splitcoast Challenge Hostess Tickle a Teapotter Coordinator
Registered: July 27, 2007 Location: Dublin, Ireland Posts: 71738
Fri, May 09, 2014 @ 7:56 AM
Thank you for such interesting ideas - and a great card to showcase them. Sealant over the base layer - I didn't think of that! But my ink seemed to penetrate the paper pretty well so it worked out ok without it. I'll try the sealant next time!