Kyra's Mix-Ability challenge for us this week is to dive into one color, and create a monochrome project. We are in the final stages of packing for our move to the States, so I added the challenge of working with extremely limited supplies... thankfully I haven't packed my watercolors YET, and I'm leaving my acrylics here with the fun prospect of updating my collection. I had a stray piece of drywall tape and some chalk inks out too. The chalk inks ended up making the 'take' list because of this project - there was a fun little resist effect going on that needs some more exploration... So did the Lilac stamps. (Hahaa!! What was I thinking?)
I stamped the blooms and leaves in a yellowish brown ink, then spritzed some water and worked wet watercolor paint into the wet areas and around the background. When everything was dry, I used acrylic paint on a "scruffy brush" to dab in more detail to the flowers. The next layer of color was done with chalk ink again (Colorbox Fluid Chalks), stamping text randomly, and adding texture through the drywall tape.
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Registered: November 5, 2008 Location: Down the rabbit hole with Alice in wonderland. Posts: 19642
Fri, Mar 28, 2014 @ 9:20 AM
Dina - this makes my heart burst in yearning for spring blossoms. It shows how you poured your heart into this challenge, and I'm excited to learn about this 'new' resist technique you discovered. Beautiful work!