This is the background set I got as part of the preorder and it's been taunting me, "how ya gonna use me... heh?". Time to tame the thing! The "Think Big" and "Vellum" challenges seemed to do nicely. So...I used a technique I either invented or just was never aware of. I'll call it "aqua off". I inked the entire image with one color (the new Coastal Cabbanna) then removed some of the color (but not too much) with my aqua painter. Then I used markers to put just two colors back in so I still would still have a monochromatic feel. I spritzed the entire surface very lightly with water and stamped onto vellum, dried with my heat gun. Then the bright idea hit me to try layering the vellum on top of the newsprint DSP. I like it. It totally 'needed' the Daily Edition flowers, and the leaves were leftovers from a failed experiment for my convention swaps, but looked good on this card. There you have it!
Thanks for the lovely challenges!
Date: Friday, July 5, 2013 GMT Views: 3194
Registered: May 18, 2004 Location: Southwest Michigan Posts: 22343
Fri, Jul 05, 2013 @ 1:15 PM
I really like your invention, especially in the case of this stamp which I have a terrible time getting a good stamped image from. Using your technique makes it look good with the mottled image. I am going to be trying this out! TFS
Splitcoast Fan Club Member
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni SCS Gallery Moderator Splitcoast Challenge Hostess Tickle a Teapotter Coordinator
Registered: July 27, 2007 Location: Dublin, Ireland Posts: 76489
Fri, Jul 05, 2013 @ 1:28 PM
I hear you on the job thing - I have never missed so many challenges as I have this year :-(. This is just gorgeous! A great catch-up on several challenges. I've used Q-tips to selectively remove colour but a water-brush sounds like a great idea. But oh my, I'd never dare to try stamping on vellum after spritzing, if I hadn't seen how beautiful yours looks.