The MIX21 challenge this week has to do with turning craftastrophy into FLOPPORTUNITY!
The challenge was to intentionally create something using the boldest colors you have at hand. Once you've made a great hoopla of a mess, gently tone it back down with gesso, watered down white acrylic ink, or similar choices.
While my original BG wasn't created intentionally, it was a definite catastrophe! Here is a link to the mess I made last week:
The first step in creating my new background was applying gesso through a Heidi Swapp flower stencil and sanding when dry. I added the tile stencil on top and sponged on Black Soot Distress Ink, adding some texture on top of that with Picket Fence Distress Paint applied to rubber non-skid material and using as a stamp.Then I masked the black tiles and stamped the polka dots on the bg using VersaFine Onyx Black.
The flower outlines are Starform stickers and were originally just layered on to the bg, but they didn't pop enough so I took them off. Oops, sticky residue! Sprinkled with Glitter Ritz Spice Brown and then embossed with clear ep to catch what the glitter didn't stick to. I laid out the flower stickers on some gessoed book pages and painted with acrylic paints. They turned out too bright so I toned them back with Picket Fence and stamped the with the polka dot stamp when dry. I fussy cut them and added them to the bg using varying thicknesses of dimensionals.The sentiment was stamped with VersaMark and heat embossed with black ep. I added a MS butterfly, Mod Podged for a little sheen, and mounted it on the white card base with foam tape.
As always, thanks for looking!
Date: Friday, June 21, 2013 GMT Views: 1072
Registered: March 11, 2008 Location: Sacramento, California Posts: 39842
Fri, Jun 21, 2013 @ 4:25 PM
This is sure a fun one to look at. LOVE all the things you did to achieve this. It is so pretty and unique. Love it! TFS :0)
------------------------------ Cathy B aka: Mutnik ....or is it Nutmeg?! I get so confused!
Smile.......people will wonder what you are up to! :0)
Proud Fan Club Member
2010 DT for Rubbernecker Stamps My Gallery
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Registered: November 5, 2008 Location: Down the rabbit hole with Alice in wonderland. Posts: 19507
Fri, Jun 28, 2013 @ 6:34 PM
I am thrilled you were able to 'save' what might have been a tosser. Your additional manipulations are the perfect backdrop for those beautiful flowers! I had a little peek at your linked craftastrophy, and I think the goo-gone may have had a chemical reaction to the solvent in the versafine ink that the watercolor paper boosted. I'm so glad you held onto it for this week, and that you played my challenge!