I made this thank-you card for my next-door neighbors who have been a fantastic support whilst I am caring full-time for seriously ill family member. They turn up at the doorstep with food, collect our mail, mow the lawns etc. - they have been truly amazing!!
I inked up my Hero Arts 'Bird in a Circle' stamp with Versafine Vintage Sepia ink and stamped it twice onto white cs so I could cut out an extra layer of the flower petals plus the bird to do some paper tole. I colored the image with Prismacolor + Derwent Coloursoft pencils and Odorless Mineral Spirits using paper stumps. Then, very carefully, I fussy-cut out the inside circle of the main panel and discarded it. It was very delicate work cutting around the flowers and the bird's legs! I am amazed that the bird didn't end up legless LOL!!
I then used my Blending Tool and Antique Linen Distress Ink around the edges of this panel - then again using Vintage Photo Distress Ink. I did actually cut the image down a little to be a perfect square as well as being a smaller size to layer on my peach designer paper.
Before I attached the 2nd layer of flowers to the bottom layer, I used a stylus on the back of the petals to shape the petals to look more rounded and did the same with the bird's body. I used an old mouse pad to press down on as it had some give and allowed me to shape the pieces just like I wanted.
I attached the flowers with dimensionals under each petal but not in the middle so I could press down the centre to help make the flowers look a little more realistic. The bird was also attached with dimensionals.
Using a Lemon Bliss Bic Mark-It texta, I colored some tiny Prima peach pearls to make them look a bit more yellow (but not bright yellow) and popped them in the centre of the flowers.
I glued on a narrow piece of peach ric-rac which just added a little 'something' at the bottom of the main panel but not over the top as I wanted the image to be the focal point - then popped this panel up on dimensionals on top of the glittery brown designer paper layer.
The peach base dp was diecut using my Big Shot and Go Kreate Scalloped Square die and to add a bit of texture, I ran the paper through my CB using my Crafts Too Sweet Flowers ef.
Note that I inked around the edges of the peach and brown papers with the same Distress Inks as the white cs.
Lastly, I punched a butterfly from the peach dp with a Carl Butterfly-A punch and colored some more Prima pearls with the Lemon Bliss Bic Mark-it texta and popped them in the centre. I attached just the butterfly's body with dimensionals and bent up the wings then added some Kindyglitz Crystalina glitter glue to the wings.
Now that the card front was finished, I simply attached it to a white card base.
Registered: February 9, 2010 Location: Mentone, California Posts: 7380
Sun, May 06, 2012 @ 11:58 AM
That was so generous of you to give us all the details of making this incredible work of art. It also makes us aware of all the work that goes into the making of such a masterpiece. I love your idea of putting demention under each flower petal and then pressing the center of the flower...such a cool idea as when you mail your card your dimention will remain! The "love" you put into this card certainly shows amd we are all blessed with the details of its creation! Thank You!!!