Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2011, 03:37 AM   #81
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I learned that if I can make 17 cards in a weekend, I can definitely do the daily challenges!

Now, if I just had an assistant to clean my stamp room...

My Gallery |My Blog | My Store
Love Splitcoast?
Help us love our volunteers by shopping at Amazon

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-29-2011, 04:48 AM   #82
Rubber Obsessor

This was my first VSN and what I learned is I need to have more organization in my supplies. I also need to do some simple precut sizes for the stamps on card stock... had an issue with some of the white paper I was working with...
lots of glue strips... and buy some "western themed stamps" I have very little in the way of the "rodeo theme" DON"T take a long nap on Sunday when I could have been making cards... Even though it has ended I will still make the rest of the challenges just because ... i have to work today or I would be able to get them in before the dead line.

Thanks Hostesses for a great weekend of making cards... now what to do with the cards that is another story...

Eva
Old 08-29-2011, 05:09 AM   #83
Matboard Maniac

Thumbs up What I learned from first VSN

I learned that you can't clean the house, get ready for a hurricane, and make cards at the same time but you can work all morning getting prepared for hurricane, do a quick vacuum, and make at least two of the challenges. And review the others wishing you had more time!!! Lost electricity on Sunday and alot of tree branches down.
I did learn that I can make a fun card in under 45 minutes and not be crazed about cleaning my stamps!!

Last edited by katspaw190; 08-29-2011 at 05:14 AM..
Old 08-29-2011, 12:50 PM   #84
Duchess of CBCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by evasempermom View Post
This was my first VSN and what I learned is I need to have more organization in my supplies. I also need to do some simple precut sizes for the stamps on card stock... had an issue with some of the white paper I was working with...
lots of glue strips... and buy some "western themed stamps" I have very little in the way of the "rodeo theme" DON"T take a long nap on Sunday when I could have been making cards... Even though it has ended I will still make the rest of the challenges just because ... i have to work today or I would be able to get them in before the dead line.

Thanks Hostesses for a great weekend of making cards... now what to do with the cards that is another story...

Eva
Operation Write Home always takes cards... Donate to Hospitals for patients or for visitor's of the patients ... RAK them...

So glad you were able to make it and hope to see you again!!
Old 08-29-2011, 01:56 PM   #85
Forum Fanatic

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by evasempermom View Post

Eva
I think there is another Event coming up soon called 'Hope You Can Cling To' - it is a bunch of challenges with a card drive for the patients at the Anderson Center Treatment Center and their families to be sent out - so this and Operation Write Home (they can't accept cards with glitter - which can be picked up by radar) are such wonderful places to send any extra cards you might generate at any time.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:02 PM   #86

Yes there is

Love Splitcoast?

Old 08-29-2011, 03:30 PM   #87
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via MSN to ohmypaper!

This was my first VSN and I was only able to participate in 2 challenges...but what I learned was.... 1) I can make a nice looking card in 33 min! 2) The people involved are so NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am just soaking up all the niceness and smiling, smiling!!!!!! The internet can bring out the worst in people but not at SCS! What a refreshing place!!! 3) I can't wait for the next VSN!!!!!

Thank you so much to the hostesses that put so much effort into the weekend!!!!
KonaRose likes this post.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:51 AM   #88
Duchess of CBCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmypaper! View Post
This was my first VSN and I was only able to participate in 2 challenges...but what I learned was.... 1) I can make a nice looking card in 33 min! 2) The people involved are so NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am just soaking up all the niceness and smiling, smiling!!!!!! The internet can bring out the worst in people but not at SCS! What a refreshing place!!! 3) I can't wait for the next VSN!!!!!

Thank you so much to the hostesses that put so much effort into the weekend!!!!
YAY! So glad you could join us!!! I'm glad that you had fun.. that is what we all strive for!
Old 08-30-2011, 06:06 AM   #89
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Understandblue View Post
I learned that if I can make 17 cards in a weekend, I can definitely do the daily challenges!

Now, if I just had an assistant to clean my stamp room...
Aw, Lydia, you just blew my excuses all outta the water! Rats!

Well, since I can clean my stamp room (qualify that...my stamp table...my room is half stamping and half quilting) during the time of one challenge, you can just fly me down there once a week and I'll be glad to clean your stamp room every week!

I learned that I do better with a bit of planning...not just winging it.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:20 AM   #90

Deal!!

Love Splitcoast?

Old 08-30-2011, 12:14 PM   #91
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Yay for MDAnderson and Hope You Can Cling To! Something to look forward to!
Old 03-11-2012, 12:45 PM   #92
Forum Fanatic

This VSN I learned that hostessing is NOT as much work as I thought it would be, and that I should have done it sooner! (it was FUN!!)

...also, I need to organize my sponges better... sigh... I try and I try and there is always SOMEthing that needs to be better organized...
Old 03-11-2012, 01:14 PM   #93
Hardware Hotshot

LOL! I learned that what REALLY needs to be organized is ME...the rest follows!
Old 03-11-2012, 02:43 PM   #94
Matboard Maniac

I learned to watch the announcements more often, so that I'll have more than two days' notice for VSN!

I also learned that this is a whole lot of FUN, & just what I needed to get my creative juices flowing! I need to do it more often, even if I don't get every challenge done (this time, life kept getting in the way on Saturday...).

A BIG thank you to all the hostesses for all the fun and, well, challenging challenges! Thanks for letting me play along!

Old 03-11-2012, 03:23 PM   #95
Pearl-ExPert

I ALSO learned that hostessing is FUN FUN FUN. Also, I shouldn't try to do every challenge during the appointed hour. Can you say "burn out"? I think I'd do better if I played throughout the weekend as time permits.
My blog:
The Crooked Stamper
Dear SCS spell-checker, "bling" is SO a word. Pffth.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:57 PM   #96
Die Cut Diva

I learned that I shouldn't let DD1 take the digital camera away with her on Sunday afternoon into Monday!!!! Luckily, I've already uploaded 10 of the challenges, but I want to try to get some more done and posted before the deadline.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:54 PM   #97
Compulsive Stamper

this was my first challenge (im super new to card making in general) and i learned sooo much stuff! new terms.. new products.. new techniques... LOVED learning how to make a rolled flower
Old 09-23-2012, 01:19 PM   #98
Crimping Master

Like other posters I learned that I need to be better organized and also aware of the "stuff" I have. What fun, wish I had more time to do some of the other challenges but life is getting in my way. For the next time will take time to organize my craft table and sift through my dp and materials ahead of time. Well I can dream
Old 09-23-2012, 05:34 PM   #99
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fionna51 View Post
Aw, Lydia, you just blew my excuses all outta the water! Rats!

Well, since I can clean my stamp room (qualify that...my stamp table...my room is half stamping and half quilting) during the time of one challenge, you can just fly me down there once a week and I'll be glad to clean your stamp room every week!

I learned that I do better with a bit of planning...not just winging it.
If I could aford it I would fly you over to me as well, I can't get into my craft room at the moment there is stuff everywhere but I had soooo much fun. We could play a little too. You could plan on the flight over, it's about 15 hours, and I will just wing it.

Cheers
Old 09-23-2012, 07:23 PM   #100
Rubber Obsessor

What I learned from this VSN is .... that I will not be timid about the 45-minute time frame and join the next one with gusto. Chicken Little never got anywhere!

When all else fails....have a cupcake.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:53 PM   #101
Proud Fan Club Member

What I've learned is it's addictive, it pushes my creative boundries like nothing else can.

You need to read all threads connected to VSN, it is amazing what you can learn from others.

Become a Fan Club member, that way you get sneek peeks that you can do before VSN starts and be ahead. You still have to do your cards in the 45 minutes though.

Be a hostess that way you get to see all the challenges before the event (I like to keep a few to do live though just because it's fun)

I start planning as soon as I know what the theme is usually a month or two before the challenge, buying a few papers (I nearly always use them) a few stamps (that I never use for the VSN, anyway)

I'm very lucky because I have a dedicated craft room and everything is layed out so that I can go to it straight away.

Here are a few things that speed up the process;

I go with the first idea that comes into my head after I have read the challenge, I wont let myself procrastinate thats deadly.

I have two kitchen timers one I set at 30 minutes and the second one I set at 45 minutes.

I always use my SU snail for attaching card layers, it is about three times faster than using double sided tape. I know it is more expensive but if you use it for VSN only then it's not so bad. I used about one snail for this VSN but I did 17 cards including my two examples. The only time I don't us snail is if I have dry embossed.

I use my SU "Colour Coach" all the time to work out colour themes

I try to avoid colour blending unless it is very basic instead I will colour a few images in the week or two before the VSN on the off chance I can use them (but hardly ever do) and I was told very early in my VSN journey that this is perfectly acceptable.

I just go with the flow and sometimes I'm really happy with the way cards have turned out and sometimes I'm not. Often cards I have made that I don't like other people do and vice versa

And the most important thing is to enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

Cheers
Old 02-02-2013, 11:19 AM   #102
Embossing Fanatic

Default My first VSN, halfway done

I've learned that....

it doesn't matter if you just saw the smooch spritz *somewhere* yesterday you aren't going to find it during the VSN if your life depends on it. (still looking!!! lol)

no matter how organized you are, you will find something to tweak for next time and thats a good thing

i dont' work well under pressure (ok i already knew that) but after looking at the challenges as i came home 2.5 hours later than planned, i just latched onto the idea of working on california time (instead of md where i live) and started the 5pm challenge at 8pm and went from there.

after 3 hours of intense creative concentration my eyes will go wonky in the bright lights and make me wonder if i'm having a stroke, a TIA or my retina is detaching. rofl luckily it was none of the above.

when your eyes DO go wonky, just pack it in for the night and start again the next day, even for the VSN mini. I did 3 last night, heading to do the other 3 shortly.

and last but not least, do not get a bug in your bonnet to unmount all of your sentiments stamps and half your flower stamps the week before a VSN. I have the EZ mount here but only remounted 10% of them before last night. OOPS!!!!!

Can't wait for the next, big/regular VSN in march and that anticipation will get me thru the cold frigid month of February. Thanks so much for running this!!!
Old 02-04-2013, 05:57 PM   #103
Polyshrink Goddess

I practiced my CAS techniques!
Old 03-02-2013, 12:59 PM   #104
Gabfest Goddess

I learned not to use OMS on an embossed image (it smears), and to be careful how much glue to put down before adding glitter (you couldn't see through the glitter to the image).
Old 03-02-2013, 05:13 PM   #105
Stazon Splitcoast

What I have learned this time around...

My cell phone timer is great; I can pause it if I get interrupted, then return to my "full" time. (Today, my MIL called... can't ignore that!)

Having a variety of tunes keeps me going. I have lots of Pandora stations...I can change styles so I don't get in a lull

for me... doing 3-5 challenges before cleaning up works. But more than that, and I get overwhelmed with the mess

It's ok to take a break...I can do some challenges on Sunday too...no pressure!

I always have fun! Learned that years ago!
My Gallery QFTD#207

My blog: Stamping for LIFE!

2014 Total Cards Created: 313
NEW Cards Mailed: 117 OLD Cards Mailed: 19 Cards Donated: 84 Cards Swapped: 4

Christmas Cards Created: 18 2014 SCS Challenges Completed: 123 2014 Blog challenges completed: 82
Old 03-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by berlycece View Post
What I have learned this time around...

My cell phone timer is great; I can pause it if I get interrupted, then return to my "full" time. (Today, my MIL called... can't ignore that!)
Brilliant - why didn't I think of that??

Love Splitcoast?

Old 03-02-2013, 05:38 PM   #107
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderstandBlue View Post
Brilliant - why didn't I think of that??
Happy to be of assistance!
My Gallery QFTD#207

My blog: Stamping for LIFE!

2014 Total Cards Created: 313
NEW Cards Mailed: 117 OLD Cards Mailed: 19 Cards Donated: 84 Cards Swapped: 4

Christmas Cards Created: 18 2014 SCS Challenges Completed: 123 2014 Blog challenges completed: 82
Old 03-03-2013, 11:29 AM   #108
Cardstock Collector

I am learning that I have so much to learn, but that you ladies are amazing teachers and great inspiration!
Old 03-03-2013, 04:31 PM   #109
Pearl-ExPert

I learned that I don't have many bug stamps - and I have no desire to ever buy more bug stamps to add to the few I have, which is a good thing! I thought I was OK because I had some bird stamps and butterflies, but then the challenges asked for specific ones like a nest with eggs and an owl and creepy crawly bugs. That's where I learned to be resourceful. Don't have a nest stamp -- find a digital image; don't have an owl stamp - make a punch art owl, etc.

I learned that I should write down more notes about what paper, ink, and stamps I used before cleaning up and putting everything away. Its taking me longer than 45 minutes to take the pictures of the cards and fill in all the info on the supplies I used.

I learned that my neck and back will go into spasms if I try to stamp for 6 straight hours like I did Friday night. I'm breaking up Saturday's challenges into more manageable segments.

I've learned to use pieces of artwork from my box of stamped images and backgrounds from techniques that I tried but never used. That saves me a huge amount of time and it makes me feel good to use something out of that box of "lost and found".

One thing I have not yet learned (and probably never will) is how people have time to stamp their card, take a picture, get it uploaded, and also chit-chat. I was lucky I had time to get on the computer to check the next challenge and write it down. Of course, it doesn't help that my computer is upstairs and my craft room is in the basement. I'm going to have to save uploading and commenting on everyone else's cards for Sunday and Monday!
Old 03-06-2013, 08:11 PM   #110
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Mary Ann, when I am hosting I try to have my samples done before VSN so I have time to chat and comment...

when I am playing I make cards in batches and shoot them, but I upload them every 3 or 4 challenges usually because, it is the most time consuming part. and I get better shots in the daylight so, sometimes I don't get them in till Sunday.

and I don't count any of the shooting, editing, uploading in the time limit.

does that help?
Old 05-04-2013, 06:50 AM   #111
Crimping Master

I add a column to the tracking sheet and try to fill in the stamps I use and other details. I don't usually upload until later on, and I always had to go back and find the stamps to get their name or set accurately, since I had usually put them away.