Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2010, 01:41 PM   #41
Stazon Splitcoast

Congrats Crafty Math Chick.
I love reading what everyone has learned from VSN.
Something I learned a few years ago to keep track of my adhesive, scissors, or other small tools. I bought several of the Retractable Badge ID Holders (I got a package of 3 at Wal-Mart). I hook those on my shirt or sweater and have one for my snips, one for my adhesive and one for whatever else I need.

The attachment shows what I am talking about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Retractable Badge Holder.jpg (2.4 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by Robyn O; 02-26-2010 at 01:59 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Crafty Math Chick likes this post.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:01 AM   #42
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I just participated in my third VSN. I remember the first being very frantic, fun but frantic. This time around, even thought it is still somewhat fast paced, it is done without the element of panic, LOL.

The more I participate the more I like the cards I make. I usually stumble upon VSN at the last moment, just as they are about to begin or after they have just started, LOL.

So what have I learnt about virtual stamping nights cardmaking.

I limit myself with card stock and paper choises. Most of my cards this time around were made with Rose Red, Basic Gray, Neutrals and Basic Grey DSP. Saves heaps of time sifting thru lots of scraps coz I just reuse the scraps I just made, IYKWIM. It's also quicker for me to change my thinking to blue, lets say, if I don't have to many other colour combos in front of me. This also puts limits on inks I get out too.

I limit myself with stamps. This time around I used my new Unity KOTM. Last time I limited myself to using stamps I hadn't inked before.

I still can't find my adhesive nearly everytime I go to grab it, LOL. How does that happen??
Old 02-27-2010, 04:53 AM   #43
Mad Swapper

I've learned that I am addicted to anything even closely related to card making/stamping!! But then, I had an inkling of this before this VSN! Also that I love the feeling of finishing things...like cards, challenges posting, etc. After a lifetime of being a SAHM and doing lots of repetitive things, i.e. cooking, cleaning, washing clothes, washing dishes, I LOVE the feeling of accomplishment: "that card is DONE"!
Enough self-analysis, have to vacuum so I can get back to the challenges!!

My Blog
Old 02-27-2010, 06:14 AM   #44

ok I newest thing I have learned from VSN is that my 6 y/o daughter is better under pressure than I am!

If you see any entires by Miss Gia, that's her! SHe has been commenting all morning (without my help so don't laugh too much at her spelling!)
Old 02-27-2010, 07:26 AM   #45
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: "In a state of somewhere.... Somewhere between Motherhood and Grandma should!"
Send a message via AIM to Annie's Pantry

This is a great thread....

I am a well-seasoned VSNer and I am always amazed at how much I learn and gain from each VSN & VSBN. As I look back on where I began and where I am at now as a stamper, crafter and business women, I know I owe a lot of the credit to the "Thinking out-side of the Box" style challenges here at SCS.

Thanks so much for all you all do..... My Craft side lives for VSN!!!!!
Old 02-27-2010, 06:08 PM   #46
Inking Addict

I just observed this time, was very impressed with all of you, Kudos to the hostess and to everyone who makes this site the best scrapbooking one on the www. So the big question is 'WHEN IS THE NEXT VSN??"

THANKS FOR ALL THE IDEAS!
Old 02-27-2010, 09:31 PM   #47
Embossing Fanatic

Default great time for all of us

I have learned that the hostesses have a various amount of imagination that I would never have. Love to even come close to being as creative as others are. I love getting together with others to do these challanges but that we generally have to wait to do them as time allows. Everyone has such busy lives. I just love that there are a variety of new techniques included in each challange some I would not normally try or even know of.
thank you for so much of your time to create so much fun for all of us
Old 02-28-2010, 01:51 PM   #48
Rubber Obsessor

This was my first time participating in VSN and, to be completely honest, the reason I never looked into this before was I associated VSN with Vamp Stamp News magazine and thought it had something to do with that . . . (duh!!) . I’m not sure what piqued my curiosity this time, but I sure am glad it happened. I followed a link to this thread after reading all the rules and regulations and enjoyed the many tips shared—both serious and tongue-in-cheek.

After reviewing the shopping list, I gathered all the items on the list, as well as other items I thought “might” fit in (i.e., various metallic embellishments—brads, eyelets, charms, rub-ons, etc.). I had several monoadhesive applicators on stand-by (just in case one of them got buried in the paper confusion). I set out a pencil cup and put my blender pens, scissors, glue pens, pencil, and paper piercer in it. Had a place for my Spellbinders Nestability dies, my cutter(s), markers, punches, etc. I took notice of the themes (Olympic Event and Music) and tried to think creatively and make sure to have stamps, papers, etc., that fit those categories. Since it was an Olympic Event, I also had some patriotic themed stamps and papers on stand-by. I made sure that if there was a call for embossing, everything was there – powder trays, embossing powders, embossing buddy, etc. The preparation beforehand was very helpful. Cardstock colors tended to be repeated and combined differently so that I could use up as much as possible without have a lot of bits and pieces to have to file away. After cardstock was cut, the extras were put in a standing file folder to keep clean and to be able to access easily.

The excel spreadsheet listing the challenges was very helpful! I used that as a guide to set up my folders for uploading my pictures. It made it very easy to categorize and keep them organized on my computer.

I did try to practice “clean as you go” . . . it worked for cleaning and setting aside my stamp sets, but I still have some stray papers to deal with as well as putting away the other supplies (glitter, brads, eyelets, etc.), but that will be easy to deal with.

I learned that:

• the women who are the hostesses put a lot of time and thought into these challenges, including researching history, etc., and deserve a lot of credit and respect;
• computer glitches happen . . . luckily the threads can be found in secondary locations and someone behind the scenes is very quick to resolve any issues;
• I should not have given up chocolate for Lent . . . not that I would have had a lot of time to consume the chocolate, but a cup of hot chocolate sure would have been great! (what was I thinking – it’s the middle of winter and we were getting snow?!?!);
• this was a GREAT way to try a few new techniques/card formats or to revisit techniques that you haven’t used in a while;
• this will really get your thinking cap going (yep, that was the smoke detector going off!);
• I have a LOT of snow to shovel tomorrow;
• brain freeze – I couldn’t think any longer, and resorted to watching the chat threads for a while in a stamp stupor;
• Saturday is a good day to do a crock pot meal while participating in VSN (that is, provided the GFCI outlet doesn’t blow and you find out several hours later that everything is stone cold – thank goodness it was only soup and could heat up rather quickly!);
• I can make a decent card in under 45 minutes – well, somewhat decent, certainly not as decent as some of the other ladies’ creations;
• I have embellishments that have been sitting in drawers just waiting for their moment to shine (musical note eyelets, for instance!);
• I envy those of you who have understanding husbands—cats are not as understanding, they still want to be fed at their regular time and receive cuddles and attention (you want cuddles and attention now?????);
• I should have looked into VSN sooner than I did (better late than never, right?) and not made an assumption based on the letters (you know what they say about when you assume); and
• I will be watching for VSN updates in the future

Thank you, ladies, for such a wonderful job putting all of this together, for your kind and encouraging comments and guidance, and for letting me “play” along.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:08 AM   #49
Watercolor Wizard

This was my first VSN. I was pretty intimidated by the time restraint, but managed to do 3 of the challenges. I learned that ...

1. The hostesses and helpers are wonderfully creative and encouraging. Thanks to all of you!
2. Yeah, it helps to be prepared, supplies, etc. Just about a week ago, I organized all my scraps into about 20 folders by colors and paper. (red cs, red dp; blue cs, blue dp; etc.)
3. I need to practice working against the clock so it doesn't "rattle" me so much.
4. I can do sketch challenge, but need to push the boundries of my mind to "see" a card using a sketch.
5. I definitely have to be aware of when the next vsn is so I can clear my Saturday.
6. VSN is a terrific way to get a lot of creativity going, by a lot of people, in one weekend. I've got new ideas for cards that will take me months to try.
7. VSN is also a great way to get to know people a little better, more than their ID, their personality too.

Greywolf / Val
Old 03-03-2010, 06:27 PM   #50
Creative Crew SU Design Team

VSN reminds me of how much I LOVE stamping. I totally tune out the world in my stamping frenzy and now I have a huge pile of cards to mail out to my family and friends. I was reminded of how beautiful the polished stone technique is. I got the push to do more 3D like the pocket and trifold cards. Glitter and faux metal, I can't believe we did it all!! Hostesses are kind, organized, creative and helpful. Thank you, I enjoyed every minute!

Cheers !

Be Courageous
Old 03-04-2010, 07:09 AM   #51

Val and Carol so glad you had a good time! Welcome to the world of VSN, you are officially addicted! Next time try hostessing a challenge!
Old 03-04-2010, 05:38 PM   #52
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by resqbarbie View Post
Val and Carol so glad you had a good time! Welcome to the world of VSN, you are officially addicted! Next time try hostessing a challenge!
I don't think I'm quite up for hostessing a challenge . . . I think I should participate a time or two more before even considering taking on that role. But thank you for the suggestion!
Old 03-04-2010, 06:03 PM   #53
Bold and Bright

Send a message via MSN to WonkaIsMyCat Send a message via Yahoo to WonkaIsMyCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by calecian View Post
I don't think I'm quite up for hostessing a challenge . . . I think I should participate a time or two more before even considering taking on that role. But thank you for the suggestion!
naw....you should TOTALLY do it....hostessing is TRES AWESOME!!!
Old 03-04-2010, 06:29 PM   #54
Watercolor Wizard

Default hostess challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by resqbarbie View Post
I have to agree with Carol. I'll have to participate in another VSN or two before I take on the responsibility of hostessing. I'll keep it in mind for later.

Greywolf / Val
Old 05-17-2010, 06:27 PM   #55
Forum Fanatic

Smile Michaels has something similar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzgurl View Post
I just had a brilliant idea after reading repeatedly about things getting buried under other things: I'm gonna go to Home Depot and get one of those little half-apron things that the carpenters use for nails and stuff and keep my adhesive, small scissors, paper piercer, etc., in the pockets so they don't take up valuable space on the table and/or get lost! Plus, I'll be able to grab them quickly and keep movin'!
For those of you who were interested in this - our Michaels had these gardening half aprons down the dollar aisle (they were $3 though, LOL, $1.80 with a coupon) that sound very similar to whoat gregzgurl described. They came in springy color combos - I got yellow with green polka dots, they had multicolored stripes and a pink and green patterned one... that's all I rememeber.

I am using mine to carry stuff when I walk my dog and don't have pockets, LOL, but if you wanted to pick one up before the next VSN and are going to M's for supplies anyway, I thought I would mention it.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:23 AM   #56
Kookie Creator

You girls are awesome sharing all these tips! I'm getting excited for my first VSN, I even went so far as to take Friday off work so I can get my chores done before the first challenge! I'm such a rebel!

I did participate in one of the VSBN's and learned something I think was pretty much a "duh!" moment..... use a cupholder! I spilled two drinks (at the same time) on a layout that was about 15 seconds from being completed!! Granted, the photos were unharmed, but I had to redo the whole thing on a fresh sheet of paper!

I have an obscene amount of scraps, but thankfully they are already arranged by color and seperated by solids/patterns. Think one of those Sterlite 12x12 drawers for EACH color... and yes, they're all full!! I'm happy to share, just come on over and raid my stash! I think for the 10 layouts I did for the VSBN, I used nothing but scraps for every single one.... sensory overload! I think maybe I should do like Mistreez suggested and only pick a single color scheme to work with for the weekend!

I've managed to get all my embellishments organized, all my tools are within reach and I know where they all are, and my ribbon is on a handy rack my hubs made for me. My next challenge is getting my stamps cataloged.... I'm not sure how to tackle that! I have visions of finding black & white images of all the sets I have and putting them into a word document for a notebook, but that's a looooot of surfing and it usually ends up leading to shopping!! The ladies that have already done this, did you just stamp the image directly onto blank paper and use that as your reference? or did you go more high tech with the images scanned into a word doc? Either way it's not something I'll be tackling in time for the VSN, but letting the idea marinate for a bit!

I like the idea too of playing with all my new stamps before the VSN, to get familiar with their sizes and image type so I have a better idea of where to go for that one perfect image. The trouble is, I think that at least half of my stash has never been inked!! I'd better get crackin on that! Chat with you gals soon!
Old 05-19-2010, 06:29 PM   #57
Forum Fanatic

Smile Stamp Index

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRabbott View Post
You girls are awesome sharing all these tips! I'm getting excited for my first VSN, I even went so far as to take Friday off work so I can get my chores done before the first challenge! I'm such a rebel!

I did participate in one of the VSBN's and learned something I think was pretty much a "duh!" moment..... use a cupholder! I spilled two drinks (at the same time) on a layout that was about 15 seconds from being completed!! Granted, the photos were unharmed, but I had to redo the whole thing on a fresh sheet of paper!

I have an obscene amount of scraps, but thankfully they are already arranged by color and seperated by solids/patterns. Think one of those Sterlite 12x12 drawers for EACH color... and yes, they're all full!! I'm happy to share, just come on over and raid my stash! I think for the 10 layouts I did for the VSBN, I used nothing but scraps for every single one.... sensory overload! I think maybe I should do like Mistreez suggested and only pick a single color scheme to work with for the weekend!

I've managed to get all my embellishments organized, all my tools are within reach and I know where they all are, and my ribbon is on a handy rack my hubs made for me. My next challenge is getting my stamps cataloged.... I'm not sure how to tackle that! I have visions of finding black & white images of all the sets I have and putting them into a word document for a notebook, but that's a looooot of surfing and it usually ends up leading to shopping!! The ladies that have already done this, did you just stamp the image directly onto blank paper and use that as your reference? or did you go more high tech with the images scanned into a word doc? Either way it's not something I'll be tackling in time for the VSN, but letting the idea marinate for a bit!

I like the idea too of playing with all my new stamps before the VSN, to get familiar with their sizes and image type so I have a better idea of where to go for that one perfect image. The trouble is, I think that at least half of my stash has never been inked!! I'd better get crackin on that! Chat with you gals soon!
There are some good pics and discussions about stamp indexes in the Mission: Organization forum as well you might wish to check out. Personally, for SU photocopies the stickers before adhering them to the jewel cases for the index; for Gina K. Designs I photocopy the image sheet on the front of the set; for other sets that don'tphotocopy well I download the images from the internet or copy and paste them (digitally or literally) to put them in the index; I am going to have to stamp out my TAC stamps manually. I have not finished yet, it is an ongoing project since I did not think to do this when I first began.

Good luck and enjoy!!
Old 05-28-2010, 04:24 PM   #58
Stazon Splitcoast

Well, I just found this thread and what fun to read b/c so many sound just like me. I'm totally new to the whole VSN thing. I can't believe that I've never even participated b/f and here I am being a hostess!!!!!! Thank you Faith for considering me for a hostess and for all your help. After my 6pm time began it FLEW BY! I think I acutally do this by myself if there ever is a next time. What have I learned??
1 - DON'T BE NERVOUS!
2 - I CAN do a card in 45 min or less
3 - I can keep up w/ commenting on challenge cards - so far anyway
4 - IT WAS REALLY FUN
5 - I will start earlier so I can get in some cards for my fellow hostess' challenges.

Thanks to everyone for playing in my challenge and thanks again Faith.

Thanks for stopping by my gallery.

COURAGE is FEAR that has said it's PRAYERS.

Bugzi, Punchkateer Secretary
Member of the Fan Club
QFTD49
Old 05-29-2010, 06:12 AM   #59
Compulsive Stamper

Location: Home is where the heart is - in my fabulous new stamping room!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty Math Chick View Post
Hello Everyone!

As I mentioned in one of the threads, this was my first VSN. It is not even close to being over (yippee!) and I have already had a lot of fun.

I also learned a lot.

I thought it would be interesting hear what others of you might have learned through VSN, whether it was this VSN or a previous one, whether it is craft-related or non-craft related, and I will share what I learned as well. Here goes.

What I Learned from VSN:

(1) I can make a pretty nice card in only 45 minutes (no more excuses!)

(2) Even if I don't like the card I produce for a particular challenge, I might come up with several other ideas in the process that I can use for future cards (this happened during the MAY09VSNE food card challenge - TONS of ideas, knew I couldn't execute all of them in only 45 minutes, but I can later...)

(3) I like food WAY too much

(4) I am not organizing my scraps well. I found there were several occasions when I cut into a brand new slice of cardstock because I didn't want to waste any of my precious 45 minutes digging through my scrap envelope; this could have been prevented if I were more organized. True, when I craft without time constraints I would have the time to dig, but it showed me something in my life I can do to improve it, save time, and reduce waste (every day is Earth Day).

(5) The VSN hostesses and moderators have the energy of a case of Red Bull and the patience of Saints.

(6) You really should take the VSN hostesses advice before you play. This was my first one, I thought 'I'll get what I need out when I need it' - I would have saved more time, which could have been invested in creating more embellished cards, if I had more of the 'beyond-the-basics' items out and easily accessible. Shame on me, live and learn.

I am sure there is more I will learn as the day progresses and I am able to complete more challenges, but this is a lot of insight to have gained in a short period of time ~ 3 challenges.

Hope everyone is having fun at VSN!!
I learned that I need to be more organized. I shouldn't hoard STUFF for use in a special project because they all special. It is easier to participate if you have a specific color family in mind and definitely have only a few stamp sets in mind to use. Most important is to have your card-stock pre-cut and ready to use as cards and/or mats.
VSN is loads of fun and exciting. Last but not least,
there are many talented folks out there

Please check out my gallery ;)
Old 06-02-2010, 03:07 PM   #60
Forum Fanatic

Unhappy Lesson

This time I learned that you should not take a generous upload deadline for granted... because you might have computer and internet problems and not be able to upload anything!
Old 06-06-2010, 04:31 PM   #61
Stazon Splitcoast

I have read thru this thread, because I participated in this last VSN. It was so much fun, but wished I had found this thread before!
This is what I learned:

1. That SCS people are the best and the most fun to be with-even tho we are in our individual craft rooms. It is just so much fun to play with you all!
2. As stated by someone earlier, using my hoarded stash of stuff is actually quite liberating.
3.As stated by someone else, that there are two sides of every piece of cardstock for a reason!
4. As soon as it is over, I miss it! When is the next one?

♥♥♥
Sharon
Proud Fan Club Member
Scrapbook Goal 2014 61/60 See them Here
S2S 2014: -$19.25
Old 06-24-2010, 07:59 PM   #62
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
This time I learned that you should not take a generous upload deadline for granted... because you might have computer and internet problems and not be able to upload anything!
Oh bummer! And . . . I can relate, my first time as hostess I lost my internet just an hour or so before my challenge time! I went and used an elderly neighbor's computer. I didn't get my internet back until Tuesday, I felt so bad for not commenting and chatting during the weekend!

Old 06-24-2010, 08:13 PM   #63
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by smadson View Post
I have read thru this thread, because I participated in this last VSN. It was so much fun, but wished I had found this thread before!
This is what I learned:

1. That SCS people are the best and the most fun to be with-even tho we are in our individual craft rooms. It is just so much fun to play with you all!
2. As stated by someone earlier, using my hoarded stash of stuff is actually quite liberating.
3.As stated by someone else, that there are two sides of every piece of cardstock for a reason!
4. As soon as it is over, I miss it! When is the next one?

♥♥♥
Sharon
1. Agree!
2. Agree!
3. Definitely agree!
4. I can hardly wait too!

Old 08-27-2010, 09:04 AM   #64
Cardstock Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzgurl View Post
I just had a brilliant idea after reading repeatedly about things getting buried under other things: I'm gonna go to Home Depot and get one of those little half-apron things that the carpenters use for nails and stuff and keep my adhesive, small scissors, paper piercer, etc., in the pockets so they don't take up valuable space on the table and/or get lost! Plus, I'll be able to grab them quickly and keep movin'!
Someone makes a cover that goes over the seat of your chair and hangs down with pockets for your tools. This might be an easier solution! Sorry I can't remember who, but I bet you could google it! Jessica
Old 08-28-2010, 04:44 AM   #65
Die Cut Diva

Well, so far this time I've learned...

1) It is really easy to stick to the deadline when you only make CAS cards!
2) When your new computer doesn't yet have the scanner or photo software loaded onto it, that makes it really hard to upload your cards.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:35 PM   #66
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superglew View Post
Well, so far this time I've learned...

1) It is really easy to stick to the deadline when you only make CAS cards!
2) When your new computer doesn't yet have the scanner or photo software loaded onto it, that makes it really hard to upload your cards.
Bummer on the software. I think I could have that problem as well since DH doesn't use it. Hmm??

So glad to see all the newbies jumping in. I mark all VSN's off on my calendar but today was just busy so I'm working on the challenges late but I love chatting along.

Huge thanks to all the hostesses!
Old 08-31-2010, 05:09 AM   #67
Compulsive Stamper

Send a message via Yahoo to RSpearman

1. I've learned that I make my cards more difficult than they need to be. I need to try to start think Easy Card!!! I looked at some samples of what other stampers did in the challenge, and thought, "Wow, that is cute, and easy, why didn't I do that?"

2. I don't think I work well under time constraints. I would like to get better about that.

3. I don't know how to take a good photo of my card! Any tips would be GREAT!!!!
Old 08-31-2010, 05:51 PM   #68
Kookie Creator

What I learned from my first VSN: 1) They aren't kidding about the chocolate. I didn't think I needed it until the 8th challenge. 2) It is a good thing to have DH out golfing. And a door to the stamping room that shuts. (He still doesn't know what a mess I made.) 3) VSN hostesses are THE BEST!
Old 11-15-2010, 01:37 PM   #69
Forum Fanatic

Default Still Learning...

... I was going to post that I learned I could FINISH a VSN (WOO HOO - it would be my first), however, although everything is uploaded (I have to go back and type in the details and supplies and stuff) I have not linked the photos to each of the VSN threads - is that required by the VSN upload deadline too?

I hope I can make it - I want to CELEBRATE!
Old 11-15-2010, 02:49 PM   #70
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via MSN to guineverelady

Oh wow!!! I say you celebrate! congrats on finishing the VSN - that is amazing! I'm still making my rounds through the galleries & commenting. When I went back to look at my post it says it is recommended to post in the thread but it's not required by any means. As long as you have it uploaded with the keyword by the deadline I would say you did it!!! Whoohoo!

Quote:
... I was going to post that I learned I could FINISH a VSN (WOO HOO - it would be my first), however, although everything is uploaded (I have to go back and type in the details and supplies and stuff) I have not linked the photos to each of the VSN threads - is that required by the VSN upload deadline too?

I hope I can make it - I want to CELEBRATE!
Old 11-16-2010, 05:51 AM   #71
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by guineverelady View Post
Oh wow!!! I say you celebrate! congrats on finishing the VSN - that is amazing! I'm still making my rounds through the galleries & commenting. When I went back to look at my post it says it is recommended to post in the thread but it's not required by any means. As long as you have it uploaded with the keyword by the deadline I would say you did it!!! Whoohoo!
WOO HOO Indeed! It felt GREAT when I was done and had all those cards accumulated for my stash and to send to the troops.

I guess I could add that I also learned what if officially required to 'finish' VSN, LOL! Today I get to go back and add in the supplies and details and link to all of the threads.

Thanks for another fun VSN everyone!
Old 11-29-2010, 07:36 PM   #72
Forum Fanatic

What did I learn? Oh my! You CAN complete a VSN and still keep your mind! Other times I did some of the challenges, but this time I FINISHED all of them and it was FUN!
Yes, you need to be organized!
I cannot find the time to do the challenge AND read or reply to the threads as we go along!
You CAN make types of cards that you normally would not do!
You CAN come up with card ideas that match the challenge and still enjoy it!
You MUST take time to thank the hostesses!

I agree with others comments about also responding to others cards! I also know how much I enjoy getting comments!

Thanks for all I have learned since I found SCS! You all are great!

CCC, MMTPT, QFTD156, Cards for a Cause, Fan Club Member

Rita/scootsv
Old 07-24-2011, 07:28 AM   #73
Forum Fanatic

Bumping this to the top for any newbies gearing up for their first VSN mini this coming weekend.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:51 PM   #74
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I made it sticky and re-orged the forum a bit to make it easier for our new peeps! I'm getting excited!

My Gallery |My Blog | My Store
Love Splitcoast?
Help us love our volunteers by shopping at Amazon

Old 07-29-2011, 07:11 PM   #75
Insane Embellisher

what I have learned today...

1. Never put your camera on your work bench...you may never find it again.
2. The hostesses are wonderful!!
3. always read the shopping list and find out if alternatives are acceptable before starting VSN.
4. Take a few minutes to let others know how great they did...it's good for the soul and crafting karma.
5. Have Fun!
Old 07-29-2011, 07:50 PM   #76
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

at 91 degrees diamond glaze dries really really fast, ( but not completely) in 30 minutes...
Old 08-28-2011, 05:25 AM   #77
Gallery Gazer

I've been participating in VSN for years and each time I seem to add to my efficiency...first,start off with a clean work area. It makes it easier to keep things neat as you move along. If you're playing all weekend, straighten things up after the Friday event so when you come back Saturday, you've got a clean area once again.

Here are a few other tricks that I do:
1) I have a box of pre-colored images...sometimes I just feel like coloring so I color images and save them for when I feel more creative to make it into a card. Come VSN, all I have to do is go to my pre-colored images.

2) I have a basket with scraps, including folded card bases, that I always keep close by. I always check the basket first to see if there is something in there I can use for a particular challenge before slicing up more paper. Chances are I've also got coordinating DP scraps in the basket so it saves time from having to decide on patterns.

3) I have a binder that I keep printouts of card layouts/examples that I liked while scrolling through the gallery. If I'm stuck I can flip through the pages of the binder to get inspired.

Most of all, don't stress out, just have fun!
Old 08-28-2011, 05:42 AM   #78
Insane Embellisher

Thanks for a great VSN!

I have learned that I can make a decent card if I just:
1. Escape from my box.
2. Stay true to my style (whatever that is) and stop trying to copy others. Inspiration only.
3. Stop hoarding my cool supplies.
4. Play along with a VSN.

Next time, I'm clearing the entire time and not skipping any challenges!
KonaRose likes this post.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:12 PM   #79
Die Cut Diva

This go-round, I am learning that I can enjoy VSN virtually. No mojo, no energy, no time to stamp this weekend without derailing the rest of my life, but I am enjoying checking out the challenges and browsing the galleries anyway.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:12 AM   #80
Matboard Maniac

Location: The wedding is over. I am in a total state of crafting overload!

If life gets in the way, you CAN play the next day and still upload your cards for the party.