Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Closed Thread
Old 04-24-2014, 06:32 AM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts

Challenge Title: It's Melting!
Hostess: T. Joy (Tricia)
Keyword: JUN14VSNMINI1
Date: Friday, May 2nd
Time: 6 pm EST

Hi everyone! Are you looking forward to summer vacation yet?? Hot days? Seeing if you can eat your ice cream cone before it MELTS all down your arm, or, horror of horrors, falls off the cone onto the ground?? That actually happened to me once. I cried. I'm scarred for life.

But I digress.... :rolleyes:

Aaaanyway, since this is a WARM UP challenge for the regular VSN in a few weeks, my challenge tonight is to make a card that features something that could MELT (like ice cream) OR the word "MELT" (I used "You Melt My Heart" on my card). If you really, really miss the snow already (LEE!!) you can even make your card with snow or a snowman. Easy Peasy! Let the creating and chatting begin!

View the gallery for this challenge: HERE
View the Summer Vacation VSN Mini Challenge Thread : HERE

1. ALL VSN CREATIONS MUST BE UPLOADED BY 10 P. M. EST ON Saturday, May 10th.
2. You have 1 hour to complete the challenge, unless otherwise noted.....you do not have to count prep time!
3. We have a special gallery for the Summer Vacation VSN.
a) From the "Main Gallery" dropdown list on the first page of the uploader, choose Events and Special Collections.
b) From the Sub-gallery dropdown list, choose Virtual Stamping and Scrapbooking Nights ~ it's the last in the list.
c) From the new sub-gallery dropdown list choose Summer Vacation - it's the very top of the list.
4. Please remember to put in the correct keyword JUN14VSNMINI1 when uploading your image. Copying and pasting the challenge keyword is recommended to avoid typos.
5. Please do not combine VSN challenges...but you may combine any other challenges with a VSN challenge!

It is also highly recommended that you post a link to your creation in this chat thread to be sure your layout is seen. THANKS SO MUCH FOR PLAYING ALONG!!!
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
CARD CASE'R
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
VSN Coordinator

Received 571 Likes on 458 Posts

Challenge Title: Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate
Hostess: Misti (Scraperwannabe)
Keyword: JUN14VSNMINI2
Date: Friday, May 2, 2014, 7pm

My challenge is going to be "Hydration"... it's super important to stay hydrated when it is so hot. My boys are competitive archers & they have learned that Powerade or Gatorade is better than nothing, but water is the first choice. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. I'm challenging you to have water of some kind on your project.

View the Weather Or Not Master Challenge Thread: HERE

1. ALL VSN CREATIONS MUST BE UPLOADED BY 10 P. M. EST ON Saturday, May 10th.
2. You have 1 hour to complete the challenge, unless otherwise noted.....you do not have to count prep time!
3. We have a special gallery for the Weather Or Not VSN.
a) From the "Main Gallery" dropdown list on the first page of the uploader, choose Events and Special Collections.
b) From the Sub-gallery dropdown list, choose Virtual Stamping and Scrapbooking Nights ~ it's the last in the list.
c) From the new sub-gallery dropdown list choose Summer Vacation - it's the very top of the list.
4. Please remember to put in the correct keyword JUN14VSNMINI2 when uploading your image. Copying and pasting the challenge keyword is recommended to avoid typos.
5. Please do not combine VSN challenges...but you may combine any other challenges with a VSN challenge!

It is also highly recommended that you post a link to your creation in this chat thread to be sure your layout is seen. THANKS SO MUCH FOR PLAYING ALONG!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hydratedmini.JPG (99.1 KB, 4 views)
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Summer Vacation VSN Master Thread

Challenge Title: Sittin' by the Campfire
Hostess: Melissa aka javagirl984
Keyword: JUN14VSNA
Date: June 6
Time: 6 PM (EST)

My favorite vacation destination is going camping. My favorite camping activity is sitting by the campfire and especially roasting food on the fire. Yum!

My challenge for you is to make a stamped card/project that represents the warmth from a campfire.

You can use an actual image of a fire, use the colors of a fire (orange, yellow, brown), or some other representation of warmth or fire. Please let me know in your comments what you used to represent the warmth of a campfire. I can't wait to see your warm campfire creations.

View the Summer Vacation Master Challenge Thread: HERE

1. ALL VSN CREATIONS MUST BE UPLOADED BY Saturday June 14, 10 P. M. EST
4. Please remember to put in the correct keyword JUN14VSNB when uploading your image. Copying and pasting the challenge keyword is recommended to avoid typos.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg b2s_VSNSampleCard_060314.jpg (81.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5284_642x800_by_janeenk.jpg (46.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg image_1_by_Adelle.jpg (44.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg SmoresKolarKT_by_K_Joy.jpg (26.6 KB, 5 views)

My Gallery| My My Blog

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Challenge Title: HOT AND STICKY SUMMER
Hostess: Susan (Cards are me)
Keyword: JUN14VSNB
Date: June 6
Time: 7pm (EST)

On our vacation we go boating. We prepare for the day by packing bags with towels, food and drink and, of course, smear our bodies with suntan lotion. During the day we stop for a swim or snacking and the sun gets hot. The sun gets so hot that we get sticky, sticky, sticky.

When not on vacation we work in the yard. Yup, you got it, we work up a little glow and get sticky, sticky, sticky.

What does being sticky and paper crafts have in common, you ask? Change the "y" to "er" and we get sticker. My challenge is to make a project with a sticker on it. *Making a sticker is acceptable, use an address label or sticky paper, whatever works . *

Dig deep into your stash, there just might be a sticker in there.

Here is my sample:

Attachment 293911

View the Summer Vacation Challenge Thread: HERE

1. ALL VSN CREATIONS MUST BE UPLOADED BY Saturday June 14, 10 P. M. EST
4. Please remember to put in the correct keyword JUN14VSNB when uploading your image. Copying and pasting the challenge keyword is recommended to avoid typos.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020613.jpg (60.5 KB, 4 views)

Received 299 Likes on 213 Posts

Challenge Title: A Good Book
Hostess: ohmypaper! (Angie)
Keyword: JUN14VSNC
Date: Friday, June 6
Time: 8PM

“Reading... a vacation for the mind....”
― Dave Barry

Reading has topped my "favorite thing" list ever since I read my first "Dick and Jane" book. I can still feel the excitement as a new world opened up to me. I can't leave the house without a good book in tow and I certainly can't go on summer vacation without one, two or probably three! Whether you have a long summer break or a short few days break, a grand destination or a staycation, I recommend that you keep a stack of books handy!

My Challenge: Inspired by a Book . There are lots of possibilities for this challenge. You can use an image of a book, text paper, characters or themes from a book. A book cover could inspire your design. A classic, cookbook, math book, address book.....and on and on I could go! I can't wait to see what you create and be sure to let us know what inspired your work of art!

View the Summer Vacation VSN Master Challenge Thread: HERE

1. ALL VSN CREATIONS MUST BE UPLOADED BY 10 P. M. EST ON Saturday, June 14.
4. Please remember to put in the correct keyword JUN14VSNC when uploading your image. Copying and pasting the challenge keyword is recommended to avoid typos.

Attachment 294976Attachment 294977
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5.9 VSN MY sample SCSwatermark_0006.jpg (81.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Janeen's sampleIMG_4882 (800x590).jpg (37.5 KB, 6 views)
VSN Coordinator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 171 Likes on 130 Posts

Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Received 375 Likes on 292 Posts

Challenge Title: Every Day Vacay
Hostess: tessaduck (Brenda)
Keyword: JUN14VSND
Date: Friday, June 6, 9 P. M., EST

I�m a retired teacher. The summer vacation after I retired felt normal, but with September, retirement became a reality. I came to understand that retirement was an ultimate vacation, with more choices and opportunities than I could imagine. So, nearly every year, a former colleague takes the same step into retirement. This year, there are two: a first grade teacher and the cafeteria manager. Believe me, it�s something to celebrate.

For this challenge, make a card or project acknowledging someone�s retirement. Alternatively, make it for a bon voyage or graduation event.

Have fun with it!

My sample: Fuzzy Purple Robe

View the Summer Vacation Challenge Thread: HERE

1. ALL VSN CREATIONS MUST BE UPLOADED BY 10 P. M. EST ON Saturday, June 14.
4. Please remember to put in the correct keyword JUN14VSND when uploading your image. Copying and pasting the challenge keyword is recommended to avoid typos.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg retired.jpg (49.6 KB, 5 views)
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Challenge Title: Faux Tole Flowers (EXTRA time allowed)
Hostess: Janeenk (Janeen)
Keyword: JUN14VSNE
Date: Saturday, June 7, 1:00 p.m. EST

In the upper Highlands of Wisconsin Summer flowers don't come very early. We don't even plant our flowers until after Memorial Day. It is always a thrill for me and many others to see those flowers finally bursting into reality. We get to see the "resurrection" or raising up of all those bulbs we planted. My challenge to you is to use the Faux Tole method and "raise" those flowers up.

Tole~in it's simplest form means to make three dimensional by using like pieces and cutting them, giving the pieces dimension and layering them. There is a tutorial for you HERE.

If you don't have a stylus you can use a ball point pen that has dried up (you know, the one you always have by the phone that doesn't write ) or even a chop stick. Just something to curve those edges with. One thing i forgot to mention in the tutorial; if you are stamping your main image on white card stock you will want to color your main image in as well as the extra stamped piece.

Because this is a bit putzy and it may be a new technique for some of you we are extending the time frame for this challenge to two hours. So looking forward to seeing what you create.

View the gallery for this challenge: JUN14VSNE HERE

1. ALL VSN CREATIONS MUST BE UPLOADED BY 10 P. M. EST ON Saturday, June 14th
4. Please remember to put in the correct keyword JUN14VSNE when uploading your image. Copying and pasting the challenge keyword is recommended to avoid typos.

Have fun with this, remember it's not a contest, it's a challenge! Join in and Grow from your creations. Here's a couple of samples for you. Thank you , Angie for sharing with me to use. You can see on Angie's sample how the parts are raised by the shadow they cast.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4638 (666x800).jpg (67.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg VSN Janeen_0001 (684x800).jpg (59.4 KB, 7 views)
Pearl-ExPert

Challenge Title: Wish On A Star
Hostess: K. Joy (Katlyn)
Keyword: JUN14VSNF
Date: Saturday, June 7th
Time: 2:00 P.M. EST

Summer Vacation is a perfect time to go star gazing, don’t you think? I love to look around the sky and pick out constellations in the Milky Way on warm, clear nights. With stars in mind, for this challenge let's Wish on a Star!

My challenge to you is to make a card using a star. The star can be part of the image, or part of the background, or used as an embellishment...just have fun with it! I can’t wait to see what you come up with!

1. ALL VSN CREATIONS MUST BE UPLOADED BY 10 P. M. EST ON Saturday, June 14th.
4. Please remember to put in the correct keyword JUN14VSNF when uploading your image. Copying and pasting the challenge keyword is recommended to avoid typos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VSNSTARKT.jpg (23.8 KB, 2 views)
Click HERE for more information!
Pearl-ExPert

Challenge Title: The Hills Are Alive
Hostess: meerkat3 (Leslie)
Keyword: JUN14VSNG
Date: Saturday, Jun 7, 2014, 3:00 PM EST

When my kids were young, I took them on a big vacation each year. One was a road trip through Maine and New England, and it included a drive up Mt Washington in New Hampshire. One summer we went to Colorado, and we could see Pike's Peak from our hotel lobby. We also drove up Pike's Peak. Yeah, wild times with thin air and no guard rails.

So my challenge for you is to include either mountains or hills in your project.

1. ALL VSN CREATIONS MUST BE UPLOADED BY 10 P. M. EST ON Saturday, June 14th.
4. Please remember to put in the correct keyword JUN14VSNG when uploading your image. Copying and pasting the challenge keyword is recommended to avoid typos.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg SCSVSNJun14-2.jpg (35.1 KB, 3 views)
My blog:
The Crooked Stamper
Dear spell-checker, "bling" is SO a word. Pffth.
Pearl-ExPert

Challenge Title: Ocean Water
Hostess: Adelle (Adelle)
Keyword: JUN14VSNH
Date: Saturday, June 7, 2014, 4:00 PM, EST

I live in the Canadian prairies so I seldom get to the ocean. My few visits were along the Atlantic coast, mostly when it was too cold to go into the water for a swim. I still came away covered in salt; in my hair, on my clothes, and I could taste it on my lips.

My challenge to you is to create a card using the salted background technique. You can find the tutorial HERE.

My sample is HERE

1. ALL VSN CREATIONS MUST BE UPLOADED BY 10 PM EST, on Saturday, June 14, 2014.
4. Please remember to put in the correct keyword JUN14VSNH when uploading your image. Copying and pasting the challenge keyword is recommended to avoid typos.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_by_Adelle.jpg (38.6 KB, 3 views)

Join us for VSN - Frozen
Mini Nov 7, Main Dec 12 & 13.
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue
Smile Summer Vacation VSN Master Thread

Challenge Title: Tan Lines
Hostess: UnderstandBlue (Lydia)
Keyword: JUN14VSNI
Date: Saturday, June 7, 5:00 p.m. EST

I live in big sky country with a very high number of sunny days per year, so we don't need summer to have tan lines - but it's that time of year! How many of you have based your bathing suit or workout clothes purchases based on what your tan lines will look like?

So let's put down a mask on our cards and get creative with some paper tan lines!

Use post it notes, masks or stencils to preserve white space, and then sponge, spritz or paint color on the rest.

For my sample, I used the no-line watercoloring technique on my big flower. For my tan lines, I laid down some drywall tape and watercolored through it. I stuck with the yellow and blue of a good old Texas summer.

Can't wait to see what you do!

View the gallery for this challenge: JUN14VSNI HERE

4. Please remember to put in the correct keyword JUN14VSNI when uploading your image. Copying and pasting the challenge keyword is recommended to avoid typos.

Have fun with this, remember it's not a contest, it's a challenge! Join in and Grow from your creations. Here's a sample for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VSN Tan lines by understandblue 004 copy.jpg (142.8 KB, 8 views)
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts

Challenge Title: Lemonade! Get Your Lemonade!
Hostess: Kim (aka berlycece)
Keyword: JUN14VSNJ
Date: Saturday June 7 6:00 pm EST

When I was a kid growing up in the 70's, my siblings, neighbors, and I would do lots of lemonade stands every summer. Technically, they were Kool-Aid stands, but you get the idea. We always had 2 flavors AND 2 sized cups...so 4 options. A businessman on the street was so proud of our entrepreneurial spirit! I'll never forget when he gave us 50 cents for a 5 cent cup...we felt like we hit the jackpot!

When I think of lemonade, I think of bright sunny lemons...but I always liked orange and lime Kool-Aid too. (Can't stand them now, but hey, I was a kid.) Now, my husband loves lemonade, and I actually enjoy limeade. Of course, fresh squeezed orange juice is always refreshing.

My challenge is a COLOR challenge. Make a card FEATURING the fabulously BRIGHT CITRUS COLORS of YELLOW, GREEN, and/or ORANGE

You do not have to use citrus images. This is a COLOR challenge. But do keep our overall VSN theme in mind: Summer Vacation! WooHoo!!

I have attached my sample for your inspiration

View the gallery for this challenge HERE
View the Summer Vacation VSN Master Challenge thread HERE

4. Please remember to put in the correct keyword JUN14VSNJ when uploading your image. Copying and pasting the challenge keyword is recommended to avoid typos.

It is also highly recommended that you post a link to your creation in this chat thread to be sure your layout is seen.

I can't wait to see what sunny cards you create!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JUN14VSNJ Virtual Lemonade.jpg (42.6 KB, 4 views)
Kim in Illinois, Dirty Dozen Alum, QFTD#207, FS798, VSN Moderator
"Famous Last Words" Spring Virtual Stamp Night, April 19 & 20
Stampin' Fool

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Challenge Title: NOT Your Typical Summer Vacation
Hostess: CndnStamper (Christine)
Keyword: JUN14VSNK
Date: Saturday, June 7th 7:00 EST

Do you remember ever having to write that horrible essay in September? You know the one, "How I Spent My Summer Vacation," well Wallace Bleff has an interesting story to tell...

As a primary school teacher, I read "How I Spent My Summer Vacation" by Mark Teaque to my students every year. We then all write stories about the craziest, most amazing summer vacation we just (dreamed we) had and try to one up each other. My class takes trips to Mars, has tea with the Queen or discovers new species of dolphins. We then have a special party to share our stories.

I challenge you to create a card to reflect the craziest, most amazing summer vacation you have never had... yet! The sky is the limit. Bonus points for telling us a little about your imaginative vacation.

I can't wait to read all about it!

4. Please remember to put in the correct keyword JUN14VSNK when uploading your image. Copying and pasting the challenge keyword is recommended to avoid typos.

[IMG]//www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/2523543?&cat=all&what=keywords&si=JUN14VSNK[/IMG]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC08340.jpg (35.2 KB, 3 views)
VSN Coordinator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 171 Likes on 130 Posts

Challenge Title: Christmas In July!!
Hostess: LuvLee (Lee)
Keyword: JUN14VSNL
Date: Saturday, June 7th 8:00 EST

Ok so it's only June....but seriously I LOVE winter and snow and Christmastime so much I happily make those kinds of cards all year long!!! But many of you don't....and you may be in full summer mode but I want you to imagine yourself in a winter wonderland and tackle this challenge!! Just make any type of Christmas or Winter card!!

4. Please remember to put in the correct keyword JUN14VSNL when uploading your image. Copying and pasting the challenge keyword is recommended to avoid typos.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg vsnchristmasjulypink.jpg (50.7 KB, 3 views)