Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-01-2017, 08:21 AM   #1  
ALWAYS has a P L A N

Location: In the '82 Los Angeles underground, looking to hire...The A-Team.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VSBNSep17 - Master Challenge Thread

Welcome to VSBN September 2017! My name is Melissa, aka mollymoo951. It is my pleasure to be your hostess this month! Our challenges for this month's VSBN revolves around the theme "It's FALL y'all!" The focus of each challenge will be on events that occur primarily during the fall months of August, September, October and November. But, that's too easy.

Seeing that Lela helped you find your mojo in August, I'm going to (hopefully) introduce you to new ideas and maybe help you push the limits of your scrapping comfort zone. This is how we grow. Ready for the first challenge?

Before we begin, just a note. You may not have many fall photos left to scrap - no problem. Some of the focus areas occur in other seasons as well, so feel free to substitute as your personal need to arises. There are no challenge police. So interpret the challenges as you see fit.

Schedule: There will be nine challenges in all. I will post three daily challenges on Labor Day weekend (Friday, Saturday and Sunday) and two daily challenges on each weekend thereafter (Friday and Saturday). The final weekend of the month will be "ketchup" time!

Presentation: Each challenge will have it's own thread and keyword - ask any questions about the challenges in the applicable thread; you are encouraged, but not required, to post a link to your projects in the applicable threads. We want to oh and ah over your pages!

This thread will function as a Master Challenge List - so no chatter here, please.

Without further ado, welcome to "It's FALL y'all!"

Never give up, just practice, stay positive and have fun!

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, if you can find them, maybe you can hire...
The A-Team.

Last edited by Lmn; 10-06-2018 at 03:47 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2017, 08:22 AM   #2  
ALWAYS has a P L A N

Default VSBNSep17A - Festivals

Fall begins the festival season! In our rural corner of the country, there's one in every small town every single weekend. This doesn't include the local school fall festivals.

Your challenge is to scrap a series of photos taken at a fall festival event using a grid format. The grid does not have to consist only of square photos. You can change it up and use circles. Or you can mix it up and use both! Not all grids have to contain a photo. Substitute a journaling block or a cluster of embellishments or use one large cool embellishment.

Keyword: VSBNSep17A <--click to see projects
Focus: FESTIVALS
Moo've out of your comfort zone by using a GRID format

Samples:
My first sample features the fire trucks from last year's Rineyville Days parade with square photos. The middle grid contains the title work.

MSM's Fire Trucks VSBNSep17A

My second sample is not fall themed; however, I share it to give you an idea of how a grid of circles would appear on a layout.

MSM's T-2 Cat

Other important information:
  • Ask any questions about this challenge in the challenge thread - found HERE <--click.
  • Upload your page to the Scrapbooking gallery.
  • Copy and paste the keywords: sbc17sep, VSBNSep17A
  • Circle back and link your project in this thread.
Attached Thumbnails
VSBNSep17 - Master Challenge Thread-msms-fire-trucks-vsbnsep17a.jpg   VSBNSep17 - Master Challenge Thread-sample-msm_s-t-2-cat_by_mollymoo951.jpg  

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, if you can find them, maybe you can hire...
The A-Team.

Last edited by mollymoo951; 09-01-2017 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: Adding today's challenge!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2017, 08:22 AM   #3  
ALWAYS has a P L A N

Default VSBNSep17B - Pumpkins

It's not fall without pumpkins. Everything is pumpkin. Sometimes it's a bit too much. Pumpkin spice in chocolate? That's a crime. Pumpkin spice creamer, on the other hand, is something I look forward to every year! I buy it by the CASE. Cause it keep until late December, even into January! Truth! I check the expiration dates. And stockpile it in the shop fridge and the house fridge and the work fridge. I digress. How about those beautiful shades of orange with pops of green. What about those white Cinderella pumpkins. Beautiful!

Your challenge is to create a page featuring pumpkins or inspired by pumpkins. I can be the item itself, a pumpkin recipe or the colors. And go BIG with your photo or title or both!

Keyword: VSBNSep17B <--click to see projects
Focus: PUMPKINS
Moo've out of your comfort zone by using a large photo (8 x 10) or a large title or both.

Samples:
My first sample features a large photo. These are my favorites to hang on the wall.

MSM's Pumpkin Patch

My second sample is not fall themed (although that could be a Halloween moon); however, I share it to give you an idea of another way to go BIG. Note the big photo and the big title with the BIG letters. I love those big letters. Especially in the gold and silver.

MSM's Wonderful VIEW

• Ask any questions about this challenge in the challenge thread - found HERE <--click.
  • Copy and paste the keywords: sbc17sep, VSBNSep17B
Attached Thumbnails
VSBNSep17 - Master Challenge Thread-msms-pumpkin-patch-vsbnsep17b.jpg   VSBNSep17 - Master Challenge Thread-sample-4_-_dtgd16susieaustraliadscn2283_by_mollymoo951.jpg  

The A-Team.

Last edited by mollymoo951; 09-03-2017 at 07:09 AM.. Reason: Adding today's challenge!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2017, 08:23 AM   #4  
ALWAYS has a P L A N

Default VSBNSep17C - Birthdays

We celebrate several family members' birthdays in the fall months. My own birthday is October 10! :grin: Plus a niece, great nephew, brother, cousins, aunts and husband have fall birthdays. Whew!

Your challenge is to scrap a series of photos taken at a birthday celebration, pocket page style.Pocket pages are a great way to scrap a ton of photos quickly. Pocket page scrapping, made popular by Becky Higgins Project Life, typically feature weekly layouts about daily activities. Other pocket page projects are Ali Edwards December Daily or Week in the Life. Albums may contain only traditional layouts, only pocket pages or traditional layouts + pocket pages for variety and interest. Additionally, pocket pages come in many sizes - 12 x 12, 6 x 8, 4 x 6 and 4 x 4.

Alternate to the pocket page requirement is to scrap a traditional page using a pocket page format. Becky Higgins has a reference document that contains all the pocket page styles she offers. Check it out HERE. Choose one as the "sketch" for your layout.

Keyword: VSBNSep17C <--click for projects
Focus: BIRTHDAYS
Moo've out of your comfort zone by scrapping pocket page style or using a "sketch" based on a BH PL pocket page style.

Samples:
My first sample is a pocket page featuring the BH PL Style B pocket page protector:

MSM's Bday Cookout (left side)

My second sample is a pocket page featuring BH PL Style A pocket page protector:

MSM's Bday Cookout (right side)

Here are the completed pages as they will appear in the album:

MSM's Bday Cookout (DPS)

For pocket pages, not all pockets have to include a photo or journaling - they can include patterned paper (filler cards) only - as a resting place for the eye.

• Ask any questions about this challenge in the challenge thread found HERE. <--click.
  • Copy and paste the keywords: sbc17sep, VSBNSep17C
  • Circle back and link your project in this thread
Attached Thumbnails
VSBNSep17 - Master Challenge Thread-vsbnsep17c-msms-bday-cookout.jpg   VSBNSep17 - Master Challenge Thread-vsbnsep17c-msms-bday-cookout-right-.jpg   VSBNSep17 - Master Challenge Thread-vsbnsep17c-msms-bday-cookout-dps-.jpg  

The A-Team.

Last edited by mollymoo951; 09-03-2017 at 07:17 AM.. Reason: Adding today's challenge!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2017, 08:23 AM   #5  
ALWAYS has a P L A N

Default VSBNSep17D - Holidays

How many holidays there are in the fall depends on when you start and end your personal fall season. There's those we think of as traditional fall holidays - Halloween and Thanksgiving. There's also Election Day. What other fall holidays can you think of that you celebrate?

Your challenge is to scrap a fall holiday. Include more than one patterned paper. Moo've out of your comfort zone and mix and match patterned papers, don't just grab a paper pack.

Keyword: VSBNSep17D <--click for projects!
Focus: HOLIDAYS
Moo've out of your comfort zone by mixing and matching patterned paper.

Samples:
My first sample features, which features Halloween, includes three patterned papers and one solid.

MSM's Eat Drink & Be Scary

• Copy and paste the keywords: sbc17sep, VSBNSep17D
Attached Thumbnails
VSBNSep17 - Master Challenge Thread-vsbnsep17d-msms-eat-drink-scary-.jpg  

The A-Team.

Last edited by mollymoo951; 09-08-2017 at 01:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2017, 08:23 AM   #6  
ALWAYS has a P L A N

Default VSBN Sep17E - Food

Food. It's all about the food. It's been said that we spend longer today than they did years ago in restaurants having dinner. Maybe it wasn't said that nicely. Maybe they said we have to wait longer for our table. Why? Because we have to take photos of our FOOD! :mrgreen: How about instead of keeping a food diary, we keep a photographic food album.

Your challenge is to scrap your fall food photos. And then "rate your food" - use stars on your layout. This can be foodie photos, photos of a spread (of food) or a recipe page with a photo. The stars do not necessarily have to "rate the food", but do use stars on your layout.

Keyword: VSBNSep17E <--click for projects!
Focus: FOOD
Moo've out of your comfort zone by using stars on your layout.

Samples:
My first sample is features the pork from a hog we sent to the butcher. It also shows the ears and tail I dried as treats for Spike!

MSM's Hog Went to the Butcher

• Ask any questions about this challenge in the challenge thread - found HERE. <--click
  • Copy and paste the keywords: sbc17sep, VSBNSep17E
Attached Thumbnails
VSBNSep17 - Master Challenge Thread-vsbnsep17e-msms-piggy-went-market.jpg  

The A-Team.

Last edited by mollymoo951; 09-09-2017 at 02:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2017, 08:23 AM   #7  
ALWAYS has a P L A N

Default VSBNSep17F - Back to School

Here in my area of the USA, fall is back to school time! BUT, let's not be so literal about this. Because, while it's back to school time, I don't have a kiddo in school. So, what am I gonna scrap for this challenge? Here it comes! :mrgreen:

Your challenge is to scrap something educational or demonstrate / share something you learned in a papercrafting class (a tip or a technique). Alternatively, you may scrap back to school photos. See, it wasn't that bad.

Keyword: VSBNSep17F <--click for projects!
Focus: BACK TO SCHOOL
Moo've out of your comfort zone by demonstrating something you have learned.

Sample:

MSM's Great American Eclipse

My page focuses on the GREAT AMERICAN ECLIPSE. Included on the page is a demonstration of how the moon eclipsed the sun from OUR point of view using punched circles. While the sun / moon pairing actually moved in an upward diagonal across the sky, I chose to show this in a soft arrow that provides movement around the page. This page will function as a title page for a series of pages (maybe four) about that day. I thought of this as I watched the eclipse and wanted to remember how the moon crossed the sun at 1 and exited at 9. I had this page done very quickly that evening - in under an hour.

• Ask any questions about this challenge in the challenge thread - found HERE. <--click
  • Copy and paste the keywords: sbc17sep, VSBNSep17F
Attached Thumbnails
VSBNSep17 - Master Challenge Thread-vsbnsep17f-msms-great-american-eclipse.jpg  

The A-Team.

Last edited by mollymoo951; 09-15-2017 at 05:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2017, 08:23 AM   #8  
ALWAYS has a P L A N

Default VSBNSep17G - Labor Day

What does Labor Day mean to you? How do you celebrate Labor Day? For some, it's summer's last hooray. When I was growing up, we went to the lake for swimming and a picnic. In my early 20's, it was the last of the summer boating season on the lake. Today, it's the day my husband says I can get out the Halloween decorations. :mrgreen: I don't actually decorate on Labor Day, but that holiday marks the starting point of when I CAN decorate for Halloween. I usually do it the following weekend. With that in mind...

Your challenge is to scrap what Labor Day means to you. It could be how you celebrate Labor Day. Cookout, swimming, decorating, reading, napping, working - whatever you do to celebrate Labor Day. And put away your whites, you cannot use white on your layout.

Keyword: VSBNSep17G <--click for projects
Focus: LABOR DAY
Moo've out of your comfort zone by putting away your white.

Sample:

MSM's Let's Decorate

My first sample has not a stitch of white! :mrgreen: Although the letters made by the DYMO labeler are white. :razz:

• Copy and paste the keywords: sbc17sep, VSBNSep17G
Attached Thumbnails
VSBNSep17 - Master Challenge Thread-vsbnsep17g-msms-lets-decorate-.jpg  

The A-Team.

Last edited by mollymoo951; 09-16-2017 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: Posting today's challenge!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2017, 08:23 AM   #9  
ALWAYS has a P L A N

Default VSBN Sep17H - Dress Up

We all dress up in the fall - whether it's for Halloween or nice clothes for the family holiday get together. Or maybe just because.

Your challenge is to scrap your "dressing up" photos. These can be a Halloween costume or wearing your "Sunday Best". Just in case you missed it, the subject of the photo must be you. Yep.

Keyword: VSBNSep17H <--click to view gallery entries
Focus: Dress Up
Moo've out of your comfort zone by dressing up your page with sparkle or shine using sequins, glitter, foil or metallics (gold / silver / bronze.

Samples:
My first sample is still in my head! I will be playing "ketchup" with you next weekend.

My second sample hasn't formulated yet. :rolleyes: BUT, I do have the photo printed and ready to go.

• Ask any questions about this challenge in the challenge thread found HERE. <--click
  • Copy and paste the keywords: sbc17sep, VSBNSep17H

The A-Team.

Last edited by mollymoo951; 10-30-2017 at 09:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2017, 08:23 AM   #10  
ALWAYS has a P L A N

Default VSBNSep17I - Thanks

When we think of giving thanks, we typically think of Thanksgiving. However, we can (and should) give thanks year round. I'm less intentional about this throughout the year than I am when I'm doing the project "30 Days of Thanks". But I'm not wanting you to focus on being intentional (although you can). Focus on those things you might take for granted - things you would miss if you didn't have them - things you enjoy doing with someone. This could encompass a large variety of topics. So try to focus on something from or something that happened in the fall. As you look through your photos, don't look at the event itself - consider how thankful you feel and choose your topic accordingly. There is no right or wrong way to do this.

Your challenge is to scrap someone / something for which you are thankful. Alternatively, you may scrap Thanksgiving photos. Provide some movement around your page and some focus to your photo by journaling around your photo! Don't fret about getting the journaling perfect - write it out on scrap paper, fake it out around the photo and fill the blank spaces with arrows and doodling. You can do this!

Keyword: VSBNSep17I <--click for samples
Focus: THANKS
Moo've out of your comfort zone by journaling around your photo.

Samples:

My first sample is a large selfie of me & my mom at Lincoln Days, a local festival celebrated in the town of Lincoln's birthplace. While my page focuses on fun times and the journaling states facts, I read those facts and feel immensely grateful for the opportunity to spend this time with Mom. It's something we look forward to and has become a tradition. It's also one of those instances where the journaling puts photos in my mind.

MSM's Fun Times Me & My Mom

My second sample features a smaller photo with a large title and a quote. Journaling surrounds the photo on two sides - with the large title to the top and the smaller quote to the right.

MSM's Friends Warm the Heart

• Ask any questions about this challenge in the challenge thread found HERE. <--click
  • Copy and paste the keywords: sbc17sep, VSBNSep17I
Attached Thumbnails
VSBNSep17 - Master Challenge Thread-vsbnsep17i-msms-me-my-mom.jpg   VSBNSep17 - Master Challenge Thread-vsbnsep17i-msms-friends-warm.jpg  

The A-Team.

Last edited by mollymoo951; 09-23-2017 at 02:23 AM.. Reason: Posting today's challenge!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2017, 08:23 AM   #11  
ALWAYS has a P L A N

Thank you for having me as your VSBN Hostess for September 2017. :grin: I could not have done it without you - your support, encouragement and kind words mean a lot. It is my hope that you have been challenged moo'ved out of your (old) comfort zone as you explored new techniques and methods to apply to your scrapbook pages. As we try new things, we grow and establish new comfort zones. Looking forward to scrapping more pages with you! Happy Fall Y'all! :grin:

The A-Team.

Last edited by mollymoo951; 09-23-2017 at 02:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2017, 10:29 PM   #12  
Glitter Guru

Received 860 Likes on 513 Posts

Thanks for the invite. I hope I get a chance to play. How long for each challenge?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2017, 01:35 PM   #13  
ALWAYS has a P L A N

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoptownracer1View Post
Thanks for the invite. I hope I get a chance to play. How long for each challenge?
Welcome! So happy to have you! I, too, hope you will get a chance to play!

Good question! For September 2017 VSBN, there are no time limits on completion of your pages.

In past VSBN's, we have used 2 hours as a good rule of thumb for completion time for a challenge - that may include make time only or total time (selecting papers, embellishments, make time). It never includes photography and upload time.

The amount of time you spend on your layout is up to you. If you're inclined to do so, feel free to take it on as a personal challenge as you work through September 17 VSBN.

Looking forward to seeing your pages. I hope you enjoy the challenges!

The A-Team.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2017, 02:42 AM   #14  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hey I just found this thread...thanks for posting challenges and getting me fired up
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2017, 02:27 AM   #15  
ALWAYS has a P L A N

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabriella18View Post
Hey I just found this thread...thanks for posting challenges and getting me fired up
Welcome! I hope you enjoy the challenges! Looking forward to seeing your pages.

The A-Team.

Reply With Quote Likes