Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-22-2014, 05:43 AM   #1
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via AIM to Lazorkay
Default Project Runway - new season

The new season starts this week, and I decided to do something different.
I went and looked at the designer's portfolios.

Some of these designers have already been on runways, have their own lines, and even sell their goods. Not sure how I feel about this, but I though this show was all about finding someone new.

Here are my favorites - in no particular order:

Carrie
Nzinga
Kiniokahokula

Korina and Tim make great coats, so not sure how they will do.

There is one designer, that I'm not sure how he even made it on the show, and one that may already have a "big head", hence his name starts with
THE.....
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-24-2014, 02:52 AM   #2
Stazon Splitcoast

Tonight is the night~
Old 07-24-2014, 05:24 AM   #3
Proud Fan Club Member

Thanks for the heads up! I will be watching!
Devoted Fan Club Member since 2005
Old 07-25-2014, 05:48 AM   #4
Stazon Splitcoast

Lynn - did you get to watch? I watched this morning. Not sure why the gal won, I thought Char or Amanda should have. No problem with who went home, although
Mitchell - Mr. Big Head, should have, just because of his attitude.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:33 AM   #5
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazorkay View Post
Lynn - did you get to watch? I watched this morning. Not sure why the gal won, I thought Char or Amanda should have. No problem with who went home, although
Mitchell - Mr. Big Head, should have, just because of his attitude.
She won for being out there and creative but I think Amanda should have won it was so well done and different.
RiverIsis likes this post.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:21 AM   #6
Stazon Splitcoast

Just watched and I thought "OMG she's the new Anya!" Weirdly out there that you have no clue what the judges are thinking. Though I like her portfolio.

And I would have voted off Mitchell over Jefferson. I don't get why he even made the first cut.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:30 AM   #7
Stazon Splitcoast

I have to say, I didn't like who went home last night. I thought the other person should have, just because it was all his idea and he wouldn't budge. If the others in the group had of done what they wanted and was a together look, maybe it would have turned out different. Ya just don't know.

I loved the straw dress, it looked like a fur coat, just as he wanted it to.

Kudos to the winner - I was wondering what they were going to do for the underdresses.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:37 PM   #8
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazorkay View Post
I have to say, I didn't like who went home last night. I thought the other person should have, just because it was all his idea and he wouldn't budge. If the others in the group had of done what they wanted and was a together look, maybe it would have turned out different. Ya just don't know.

I loved the straw dress, it looked like a fur coat, just as he wanted it to.

Kudos to the winner - I was wondering what they were going to do for the underdresses.
BIG THOUGHTS this week.

I thought Hernan should have gone. It was totally his idea.

I know we only see what the editors want us to see but I thought that Carrie did the right thing in defending herself and it wasn't childish at all. She (and Sandhya) were bullied into that look. I really really really liked Carrie's portfolio so I hope that maybe she will get a 2nd chance some time in the future because I really think they have a let a gem go in comparison to some of the others.

I liked Sandhya's original look. Shame Hernan and Carrie didn't take a moment to realize that the judges like Sandhya. From the judges commentary of the winning looks Sandhya would have been fine with her original look.

I didn't like the "blue" team's look - it looked bad 80's prom to me. Seriously it was like cheap bedazzling gone bad.

I also didn't like the fishscales, pleather and film team. Their look was messy too. I think they got the nod because they used more materials.

I thought that Heidi was incredibly harsh to Angela. I am slightly surprised she didn't walk out. I actually liked Angela's design. She has quite and ethereal aesthetic. I think if she had filled in the gaps with the straws they would have gone "Lady GaGa" all over it. She is suffering from time issues as well as a narrow vision. Again it was using a single element that probably was the main issue.

I actually thought Fade's was ok but probably would have won because of the number of items he used.

Sean's was just freaky amazing but I do wonder if he would have won.

I'm ok with the winning trio. I think Amanda really made them understand the challenge and they all agreed on what to be cohesive with and where to be out there.

I think the biggest problem with Hernan/Carrie is that they didn't respect the judges decision for the 1st challenge. And instead of seeing the opportunity of having a winner on the team saw it as a threat to their own standing and thus were always working defensively. Honestly, it does seem like the team that has the winner from the previous week traditionally has someone that goes home.

That said - Hernan should have gone home or Mitchell. I'm really ok with Mitchell going at any time. The Miami vibe is either OTT expensive or cheaper than cheap, hoochie. I think he borders on hoochie.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:45 PM   #9
Stazon Splitcoast

Not surprised at top or bottom and who went home - slightly surprised at Amanda being called out.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:33 PM   #10
Stazon Splitcoast

Not the one I wanted to win, but not upset about who went home.

Agree on Amanda - would they have sent her home??? She didn't have that bad of a look compared to the other bottom 3.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:34 AM   #11
Stampin' Fool

Glad Hermann went home. He did not play well in the sandbox!!
Old 08-15-2014, 05:16 AM   #12
Stazon Splitcoast

whew - so glad he finally went home.

Next week - 2 go home!!!!

I think it will be a good thing that Amanda is safe.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:24 AM   #13
Stazon Splitcoast

Thank goodness. And how do you keep calling someone a ****** and then get upset when she flips you. At least she wasn't false and didn't get up and hug him goodbye. Good Riddance - most successful artists (designers) can see the flaws in their work, he honestly thought that was better than others? he needs a reality check and to keep blaming the fabric as if it had dry rot. I'm sure the production assistants double checked those suits and they were cleaned and the best from a bad lot was chosen, his wasn't any worse than any other.

TBH I thought Fade should have been top. I gasped when that came down the runway. I didn't think, oh look an old suit remade which I did with quite a few others.

I didn't think Alexander used enough suit fabric (or was I missing it because he had large swathes of fabric) and I didn't think he was top 3.

Amanda's look I am ok with. I think she embraced the challenge the best.

Char's design was almost hoochie.

Emily's I was really disappointed in. I get the nod to the suit but honestly I didn't think it worked.

Kini can work it and understands how to make an outfit look fantastic in the time allotted. I didn't think this look was innovative enough, but to get boring pinstripes into the top 3 when others are working with loud fabrics - kudos. I could see that dress in any of the fabrics that were available.

Korina's I liked. I liked the clean aesthetic of the look and how much suit material she used. I did wonder if there wasn't "enough" to it - it reminded me of 80s Vogue a bit.

Kristine - focused too much on the jacket but I do get that that probably got her through because that was so well made.

Mitchell - I honestly thought it was going to be a train wreck, pleather, clear vinyl and polyester blue suit, what could go wrong? - He did make it work and I was glad that he could see that Sandhya tried her best to match people to material.

Samantha - now how many ideas can we get on an outfit? one sleeve - check, pleating - check, safety pins - check, bubble skirt- check, funky collar - check, flap pocket - check, suit bar under butt so they remember I made this from a suit - check.

Sean - I could see what they meant about Sean's. I'm surprised that Tim didn't say that in the workroom. Would boring Sean been in the bottom?
Old 08-21-2014, 10:44 AM   #14
Stazon Splitcoast

Well I won't be watching this until tomorrow as my TV is out. Just read that Lindsey Vonn is on as guest judge - to put it mildly I am really not a fan and wish she wouldn't be on my tv. Hope it doesn't spoil the show for me. I wonder if it is an indication that this is ski wear/active wear/golf wear or just another outlet for her to be on my tv randomly.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:05 AM   #15
Stazon Splitcoast

Tonight's show is a "Make Heidi a...." show.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:40 AM   #16
Stazon Splitcoast

Not the winner I would have picked, but it must have been because it was "different"
than a normal outfit would be. I liked Kiki's better. Goodbye finally to the Mr. !

I'm glad green gal stayed, as I have liked her other outfits, but that green was no way
an emerald green - at least not in my eyes.

I think I would have liked Amanda's more if the beading/trim didn't go down the bottom half of the dress - it was pretty on top.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:25 AM   #17
Stampin' Fool

I loved the winning dress; it was modern and just really cool. I didn't really like Amanda's...I thought the brown was too blah. I think the Mr. who went home was overwhelmed; he just is not ready for the big leagues yet.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:49 AM   #18
Stazon Splitcoast

Alexander was lucky others were worse. No excuse for cheek showing especially when they had extra money for material.

Amanda was true to her and Heidi and I think that is why it was top 3. Not for me but I can see Heidi wearing it.

Char was a bad bridesmaid dress - bodice ruching was old fashioned, but I did like the flow of the skirt.

Emily that was just hoochie bad.

fage, I liked his. The hard but soft lines and flowing fabric.

Kini - loved it. Though I get the feeling he isn't doing anything "new" for him. Is he the first designer to play along at home and get his basics down?

Korina is lucky to stay in. 1st design in a happier fabric without snakeskin and she would have easily been safe.

Kristine I liked the sides. The rest was really bad.

Mitchell, yikes, it was bad.

Samantha, I liked the top and then it just was meh.

Sandhya, used the challenge the best, but I still expected more for that money.

Sean's was fun and flirty. I'm not surprised it won but I am surprised they went silly over it like no one had ever done it before.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:49 AM   #19
Stazon Splitcoast

And Lindsay Vonn irrelevant to the show? a true WTH.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:04 PM   #20
Stazon Splitcoast

Can't disagree with the result.

Alexander, too bulky. I liked the concept but it was a bit too old. If less bulky and chiffon instead of lace and maybe an ombre into the color (though could have looked like a wine stain).

Amanda - loved it. Amazed she was able to work so well with the personality issues.

Char again too hoochie - it could have looked bad and still been immaculately constructed, but that was awful.

Emily I liked it. Guess I'm a bad cliche 15 year old goth wannabe

fage, I liked his. Gorgeous but a little too conservative for a bride's reception dress.

Kini - loved it. Should have won. That dress was uber gorgeous.

Korina it was ok. It looked great on the runway but she is so negative.

Samantha, ok but not quite sophisticated enough.

Sandhya, I liked the bodice, but the construction on the skirt was beyond awful. Needed to be more color than yellow.

Sean's - gorgeous but didn't deserve the win.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:07 PM   #21
Stazon Splitcoast

These wedding dresses looked a lot better than some! Toilet Paper Wedding Gowns So Pretty, You'd Never Use Them To Wipe
Old 09-02-2014, 04:36 AM   #22
Stazon Splitcoast

Kini should have spoken up - they loved Sean's top - made by KINI!

Kini should have won and I'm so not happy, but I'm also not a judge.

Sandhya chose that awful yellow - if Char went home, S should have - did you see the sewing on the under skirt? Char should have also spoke up and/or picked a different color.

Who cut the pattern on Korina's look? Amanda sewed them up, but if they were cut small by Korina, she should have owned up to the too tight fit.
grateful2bsaved and RiverIsis like this post.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:38 AM   #23
Stazon Splitcoast

Now I want them to make something from toilet paper.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:22 AM   #24
Stazon Splitcoast

IMHO this is Kini's to lose - but we have seen someone fantastic through the series and then just fall apart for the show. Kini definitely should have won. The blouse in conjunction with the dress - absolutely stunning.

I thought Sandhya was going to go with something more like her own gown. And I think that is what she was trying to do but it needed more than just one pop of color. I think the color was "in your face" but I think it could have worked IF their designs were strong. Lets be honest, color wasn't the biggest problem on that team and if Char thinks it was she is delusional. Kini could have made his dress in that yellow fabric and it still would have been stunning.

Korina seems to think she is better than she is. The look was hers to sort, if she relies on someone else that is her issue and if she didn't even pattern her pants - Yikes!

I think Kini quite possibly will have at least one Oscar gown next year. That dress could easily go to the Golden Globes and be on anyone from Helen Mirren to Jennifer Lawrence etc.

BTW have you seen Angelina Jolie's wedding gown!!! (I won't buy the magazine) the pictures on the internet are WOW! That took talent to make that work.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:02 AM   #25
Stazon Splitcoast

Dang, I still have to put up with the puppy dog looks.....

I did like Korina's dress, but the coat was a bit much for me.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:38 AM   #26
Stazon Splitcoast

Alexander very surprised he survived. The whole point was to make the jewelry look more wow and you couldn't see his.

Amanda - I liked it. The jumpsuit saved it though.

Char - it was ok. Not convinced with her and whether TG should have used his save.

Emily - I liked it but nothing really wowed me.

fage - I liked it.

Kini - I never thought I would see the day that Kini couldn't come up with the goods.

Korina - gorgeous. She played to her strengths.

Samantha - definitely a white t shirt dress, but sometimes a white t shirt is good.

Sandhya - it was ok.

Sean's - very Lady Diana.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:58 AM   #27
Stampin' Fool

Emily needs to stop making "hood" items. I'm over it already!! Come up with a new idea.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:50 AM   #28
Stampin' Fool

Loved Sean's dress!! The look on the judges' faces as the dye seeped out said it all...WOW! Glad Kini got a win. His dress was very clever and, I thought, very advant garde.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:01 AM   #29
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm glad Kini won - his was more advent garde than Sean's for me. I did think
Sean's was clever. I did not like Sandya's clown outfit at all. It was just "silly" for me.
Glad that Amanda changed her "eye" color...

Sad to see Fade go, but he didn't really do much. It was just blah.
pjl-ny, grateful2bsaved and RiverIsis like this post.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:06 PM   #30
Stazon Splitcoast

I thought this was fade's worst runway by a margin because he is about subtlety and Avant Garde isn't. I didn't dislike his outfit. Sit down ladies because I agree with Nina, Emily's I have seen it before, nothing original, 10 years ago etc (and honestly Korina's much the same). I wish Tim had saved his save. Char continues to underwhelm me. Wonder if the show was going to be considered too "white" without her.

Sandhya continues to perplex me. I think it did almost work on the runway but everything except what she did at the very beginning of the series has "almost" worked for me. There is something just slightly off. FWIW I think the being compared to another designer and being unique convo was more a cultural misunderstanding. Also maybe they don't know that she has actually worked for Alexander McQueen (it's in her bio). Thinking about it her looks are probably more McQueen/Philip Treacy with a hint of Vivienne Westwood (risk taking) than any of the others.

I think they have already decided they would like to see her runway show and more than once we have faced that question in the end of whose show are you more/most interested in seeing.

So far for me it is Kini, Sandhya, and Sean or Amanda (and I would have put Fade in this group he just hit a wall with this challenge IMO). I already know what Emily, Char, Korina, Alexander would send down the runway - *yawn*

Last edited by RiverIsis; 09-12-2014 at 07:11 PM..
Old 09-12-2014, 07:12 PM   #31
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl-ny View Post
Emily needs to stop making "hood" items. I'm over it already!! Come up with a new idea.
Another hood!!!!! UGH!
pjl-ny likes this post.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:36 PM   #32
Stazon Splitcoast

OK I don't disagree, but I would have sent the peace pajamas home. There was nothing original with that at all.

I thought 2 out of the 3 bottom looks looked very amateur hour.

I completely disagree about the sweater/crinoline combo outfit. Not all girls want to be dressed up like bubblegum or cliche themes.
Old 09-19-2014, 04:52 AM   #33
Stazon Splitcoast

Goodbye - I don't disagree either. I did like the little sweater Emily made, but it was a bit dark.

I thought for sure Emily was going home though. She has a little girl line of clothes, she should have done much better.

I did like Kini's, but I think all of the top 3 were great.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:11 AM   #34
Stazon Splitcoast

But seriously, given Emily's outfit or Sandhya I bet most tweens would pick Emily's to wear. Sandhya's was more toddler and Sean's was completely Simplicity pattern book.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:10 AM   #35
Stampin' Fool

I wish Char had won. Kini's dress was great, but we've seen it before. I thought Char's was right on mark for her doll and for a tween girl. Regarding Sean's and Sandhya's outfit, did no one consider ..."How easy is it to go to the bathroom in this?" That is always my #1 thought when buying clothes for kids.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:34 AM   #36
Stazon Splitcoast

I kept thinking why are they putting the zipper on the back and not the the side seam.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:54 AM   #37
Stazon Splitcoast

so, would anyone speak up and say no???? hmmmm.

I think she just should have sewed it up - that is what others do when they don't have time to finish a zipper. I was hoping she would go home, but was that other outfit bad - just bad. Still wished Kini would have won.
grateful2bsaved likes this post.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:33 AM   #38
Stazon Splitcoast

I think the judges should have considered that the only reason Tim let her put the zipper in was for modesty of a non-professional model and the judges should have considered that as part of her score and mentioned that to her before letting her go back as "in".

I agree with the other designers that they couldn't say no in front of their non-models and they were put in a no win situation. I hope it doesn't affect them, but I bet it does.

Oh and that was definitely Hoochie. I don't get Tim's fascination with Char. I hope the designers clear the air with Tim and Char and say they felt they were put in a no win situation. Honestly, I don't think it should have been their decision, it should have been the Judges and there should have been a "modesty" rule in place on this challenge.

Oh and I think a couple of them Korina and Emily, really lucked out on body type. Seriously, a ballerina?!?! Had the posture, the walk etc. This should have been normal people with saddlebags and saggy boobs!!! For that reason I honestly felt Kini's was best.

I'm glad Zac spoke up for Emily because her lady really liked that dress. I understand the comments from Nina but this wasn't what would Nina wear, this was about the client/designer relationship and Emily did well.

What was Amanda smoking? Seriously you always go longer on a non-model. There is a reason they aren't a model. I think just above the knee and that isn't a losing look. I think the line of the waist was too high too.

Alexander deserved to lose. I think the patterns could have worked in a lighter fabric. The fabric was just way way way too heavy for what he was trying to do. And why all that hand sewing? he seemed to take hours to hand sew it badly. Honestly I thought the patterns could have combined - for the longest time I thought he was going to sew in a "belt", and maybe put some edging on in the yellow. It wasn't ever going to beautiful but it had a chance of being marvelously quirky which suited her better than the rather boring outfit she was left with.

At the moment I think Kini and Korina may be nailed in Finalist. I'm concerned that Amanda sees her mistakes too late. Sean does beautiful work but I'm not really wow'ed. Char is designing for a very narrow market and probably the same with Emily though Emily may be the surprise as she is either love or hate but there is definitely a reaction (Vivienne Westwood, Alexander McQueen etc.)
Old 09-26-2014, 10:13 AM   #39
Stampin' Fool

Korina clearly was the winner this time, but does she have to be so critical of everyone else? She hasn't always done so well!!

I thought Emily did a great job, but I think some of the bottom ruffles could have been eliminated. I loved Sean's dress, but it was the "fringe" trick again. Kini's was nice, but nothing spectacular. He said was stuck and I agree!! Amanda's idea was good, but it did not translate well. Did you see the way the dress bunched up in the front with each step the model took? I thought that was awful; maybe she choose the wrong fabric. Throughout the show, I think Amanda has good ideas but doesn't know how to make the idea a reality.

I really felt bad for Alexander. He obviously chose the wrong fabric, especially for his petite model. I was ready to cry for him during Tim's critique. He's very talented and will go a long way in fashion.
My thoughts on Char - Her outfit was too short, too red and too boring. What was with that peplum jacket? Bad!! If Alexander had not bombed, she would have been out.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:10 PM   #40
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh I agree.

TBH I don't think Korina or Kini showed us anything new for them. I just thought Kini edged it because his "model" was real woman size not model size. I think Korina's model could have worn Kini's. I don't think Korina's would have looked as good as Kini's on Kini's model.

Totally agree about Alexander and Char. TBH I still think Alexander could have saved it but once Tim put him down his ideas seemed to vacate him.