Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-17-2012, 01:03 PM   #41
Stazon Splitcoast

Raul said he hated her to all the others at the end of the show after he was voted out. She tried to speak up and Raul told her to shut it because he wasn't going to listen to someone as hateful as her. All the other queens in the room were about beside themselves with disbelief/glee that Raul spoke out. TBH I didn't think Raul had what it took to be there but I love him for speaking out and slapping her down like that.

I guess you do at times work for other designers when you work for a fashion house as a junior member however, I agree it is never more than a couple of you and there is always one senior designer that will be obeyed in that situation.

Yup I have seen that Rachel Zoe show and she is up herself as well. It always amazes me when i see people pander to people like that!

The preview next week with real womenly sizes normally separates out who can actually design and who can dress a manly figure up as a woman.

BTW the comments of the judges on Gunnar's dress I thought were harsh and belittled the model more than the dress at times. Are they allowed to tape the girls down? because that seemed more like an undergarment/model issue than a dress issue. I don't know anyone that goes into a professional environment with the girls free like that.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-17-2012, 01:43 PM   #42
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverIsis View Post
Raul said he hated her to all the others at the end of the show after he was voted out. She tried to speak up and Raul told her to shut it because he wasn't going to listen to someone as hateful as her. All the other queens in the room were about beside themselves with disbelief/glee that Raul spoke out. TBH I didn't think Raul had what it took to be there but I love him for speaking out and slapping her down like that.

I guess you do at times work for other designers when you work for a fashion house as a junior member however, I agree it is never more than a couple of you and there is always one senior designer that will be obeyed in that situation.

Yup I have seen that Rachel Zoe show and she is up herself as well. It always amazes me when i see people pander to people like that!

The preview next week with real womenly sizes normally separates out who can actually design and who can dress a manly figure up as a woman.

BTW the comments of the judges on Gunnar's dress I thought were harsh and belittled the model more than the dress at times. Are they allowed to tape the girls down? because that seemed more like an undergarment/model issue than a dress issue. I don't know anyone that goes into a professional environment with the girls free like that.
OK, I guess I do kinda remember Squiggy telling Elena off at the end. Like I said, I'm really good at tuning out stuff like that, especially at the end when my mind has already moved on to something else.

I thought the same thing about Gunnar's dress. I didn't think the top was SO bad; the model just needed to wear a bra. Like most normal women do. Isn't it up to the designer to tell the model that if she doesn't figure it out on her own? I know the designers can't use tape to secure any of their garments to the model, but I don't know about using tape to hold their body parts in place. LOL. Still, the model easily could have worn a bra with that top (it wasn't backless, I don't think).

I love the shows when they use real women for models. For some of the contestants it's a real eye-opener! "What? You mean a woman usually isn't the size and shape of a 12 year old boy? What are these curves? What are these bumpy things in front?"
Old 08-17-2012, 01:51 PM   #43
Stazon Splitcoast

*snorts* Squiggy! Love it!
Old 08-17-2012, 01:56 PM   #44
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
*snorts* Squiggy! Love it!
Well...?

It took me 3 episodes to figure out who he reminded me of. Although I think Squiggy actually was cleaner cut. lol
Old 08-18-2012, 01:54 PM   #45
Forum Fanatic

I finally got caught up last night. We were just on vacation recently and I missed a few episodes. I can't stand Gunnar or Elena. Elena reminds me of Irina how she was so *****y to everyone. I like Christopher and Ven so far.

my blog -- my recipes ♥ Victoria's Avon Walk for Breast Cancer site ♥
Old 08-23-2012, 10:00 PM   #46
Vintage Vixen

OMG--If I had been Ven's client for tonight's show, I would have kicked him in the balls. What a turd. If they didn't send him home based on his hideous outfit, then they should have done so based on his attitude and his behavior toward that poor girl.

And up until tonight he had been one of my favorite designers. Guess I don't have a favorite anymore.

I thought that Dimitry should have won tonight. His dress was better, the color looked fabulous with his client's new hairdo, and the overall styling was spot-on. I didn't think the winning dress was that pretty (was he going for "50 shades of gray," or what? ) and the orange belt looked silly.

It cracked me up that the guest judge (I don't remember who she was, some Brit), didn't know what a "hoochie mama" was. She might have been able to figure it out based on the dress. LOL
Old 08-24-2012, 12:14 AM   #47
Forum Fanatic

Well I've done a complete turnaround. I can't stand Ven now and I think Gunnar is awesome. Elena was a lot more likeable this time too. I am rooting against Ven from now on. What a jerk.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:44 AM   #48
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via AIM to Lazorkay

I was so hoping that Ven would be sent home as well! And THEN for him to say that he didn't deserve to be in the bottom 3!?????? REALLY?

I am so ready for him to go home! What a rotten rotten attitude toward that woman.
Has he looked in the mirror at his size? Apparantly, he can only do clothes that are a size 2.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:52 PM   #49
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazorkay View Post
I was so hoping that Ven would be sent home as well! And THEN for him to say that he didn't deserve to be in the bottom 3!?????? REALLY?

I am so ready for him to go home! What a rotten rotten attitude toward that woman.
Has he looked in the mirror at his size? Apparantly, he can only do clothes that are a size 2.
He's been pretty full of himself this entire season. But in a quiet way and since he was creating beautiful clothes, I was willing to overlook it. But it came out in a very ugly way last night.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:08 PM   #50
Stampin' Fool

Ven just did not seem to get that he had been terrible to that woman. He deserved a real smackdown from the judges.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:07 PM   #51
Forum Fanatic

He still doesn't think so. He's been tweeting like mad about how unfair the show is.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:09 PM   #52
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gale View Post
He still doesn't think so. He's been tweeting like mad about how unfair the show is.
Really? What a putz. Quit yer whining, Ven!
Old 08-27-2012, 02:30 PM   #53
Hardware Hotshot

Ven really showed his true self didnt he? and he just did not get that he was rude!

His client was so very sweet and i say she took his abuse quite gracefully! it made me cry the way he treated her!

now, i must also be mean, and say who is he to judge anyone for their weight anyways?
he aint no Mr GQ himself, chubby nubby!!!

did anyone else have a flashback to when Jeffery was so mean to Angela's Mom???

on the other hand, Gunnar certainly showed a hidden side as well, but a very good one! if he can stay that Gunnar, i say he could go very far

Old 08-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #54
Hardware Hotshot

roflmbo....Squiggy! good one! i was thinking of Radar, LOL...................

Old 08-27-2012, 04:52 PM   #55
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm ready for Ven to go. He doesn't get it. I know fashion can be "*****y" but honestly he is nobody at the moment and I hope he stays that way until he has an attitude adjustment. He didn't even get it when they kept him behind threatening to send him home. What an arse.

Lets go back in time. Can you just imagine if Ven had designed the Duchess of York's Wedding dress? Sometimes you don't have a model to design for for your biggest stage.

Loved Gunnar's work when he didn't make it last season. Completely understood why people didn't like him this season. Now I'm glad he has shown some of his southern upbringing and how to be nice to people. I can't say I am certain he was sincere, but he did at least understand that if he built his girl up she would go out there naked and sell it.

Last edited by RiverIsis; 08-27-2012 at 04:56 PM..
Old 08-30-2012, 06:54 PM   #56
Stazon Splitcoast

oooo I'm here on the right night!!! Can't believe all the girls having a meltdown. Well, yeah, I guess I can. Can't wait to see who goes and why.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:05 PM   #57
Stazon Splitcoast

Hmmmm IDK who is best. I had Dmitri... Maybe Christopher? Gunnar's was too short for my liking. Melissa's looked good in the end.

I can't decide whether I like Ven's or not. It almost looks like a duct tape hole. I didn't like Fabio's as much as they did. Hmmm... I don't like zippers as accents/accessories.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:03 PM   #58
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Hmmmm IDK who is best. I had Dmitri... Maybe Christopher? Gunnar's was too short for my liking. Melissa's looked good in the end.

I can't decide whether I like Ven's or not. It almost looks like a duct tape hole. I didn't like Fabio's as much as they did. Hmmm... I don't like zippers as accents/accessories.
Me neither! I know I'm old school, but I was taught that your zipper should match the fabric and be more or less hidden/invisible. But all of these designers seem to choose a metallic zipper that sticks out like a sore thumb. To me, it looks cheap.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:16 PM   #59
Vintage Vixen

WOW--major surprise tonight! I guess there wasn't an obvious stinker--although I thought Gunnar's dress did look cheap and ordinary. It looked like something that would be worn by an immature woman who can't resist "shiny," or a high school girl going to her cousin's wedding, or by a middle-aged woman who's trying too hard. In fact I saw just such a woman wearing a glittery black dress like that in a bar not too long ago. LOL (Just because you're small enough to shop in the juniors section, doesn't mean you should, KWIM?)

I guess this way they make up for the fact that two designers left voluntarily that one week.

I was surprised that Sonjia wasn't in the bottom. The judges must not have noticed that her dress had a raw/unfinished hem. I thought something like that was usually a black mark against the designer.

Last edited by missiowa81; 08-30-2012 at 09:28 PM..
Old 08-30-2012, 11:52 PM   #60
Stazon Splitcoast

I was surprized about Sonja too. Maybe they thought that was an accent like the zippers? Especiallly as her pieces are normally so finished.

Gunnar is hot and cold. And I agree. It reminded me of the dress my mother borrowed for me to go to a winter formal when I was in High School - lol - it was from an older lady who was unable to go on her cruise... need I say more?
Old 08-31-2012, 04:35 AM   #61
Stampin' Fool

I really liked Dmitry's dress and thought he would be in the top. Did not like Ven's dress. Reminded me of iris folding on cards!! But after last week I don't think I will like anything he does because I think his comments and attitude make everything else look ugly.

I thought Sonjia would be in the bottom and I was surprised they liked Elena's dress.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:37 AM   #62
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via AIM to Lazorkay

I wanted Dimitry to win! I can't believe Melissa pulled that off after starting over.

I didn't like Elena's "skirt" on her dress - I would have liked to have seen it more fitted.

I agree with what they said about Gunner's - you do see that dress everywhere, but it was pretty and made well.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:08 AM   #63
Forum Fanatic

I thought Gunnar had a bad attitude when it was revealed that he was in the bottom. He didn't say anything to the judges-he knows how to be gracious either way when he needs to, but in the room he said he was really mad. That said, I'm glad he stayed because I thought there were way worse outfits than his.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:29 AM   #64
Stazon Splitcoast

Do you think it was a bit of a attitude check to leave Gunnar hanging like that?

I know it is a design show but unless they are going to have them design and then send it to professional seamstress/tailor then none existent hems should be a red flag!

Gunnar did make me laugh about the 80s comment on Sonja dress. He was absolutely spot on. I thought the same right before he said it.

I think Fabio is their new Anya. I'm not feeling it this year either.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:35 AM   #65
Vintage Vixen

I didn't think Elena's dress was that great either. The top looked tortured/over-worked, and the bottom gave her model a bubble butt!

If a dress gives a 6 foot tall, size 4 model a bubble butt, what would it give an average-sized woman? I can't see many people buying that dress, which is probably one reason she didn't win the challenge.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:53 AM   #66
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by missiowa81 View Post
I didn't think Elena's dress was that great either. The top looked tortured/over-worked, and the bottom gave her model a bubble butt!

If a dress gives a 6 foot tall, size 4 model a bubble butt, what would it give an average-sized woman? I can't see many people buying that dress, which is probably one reason she didn't win the challenge.
I kept thinking pencil or tulip with it...but pleated definitely wasn't the way to go.

FTR when I was younger I wore skirts like that because I had a tiny waist and womanly hips, but at least I had hips!
Old 08-31-2012, 12:27 PM   #67
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by amycrossley View Post
I really liked Dmitry's dress and thought he would be in the top. Did not like Ven's dress. Reminded me of iris folding on cards!! But after last week I don't think I will like anything he does because I think his comments and attitude make everything else look ugly.

I thought Sonjia would be in the bottom and I was surprised they liked Elena's dress.
For sure!

Maybe we should invite him to join SCS. If he doesn't make it as a clothing designer, he can take up rubber stamping.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:10 PM   #68
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by missiowa81 View Post
For sure!

Maybe we should invite him to join SCS. If he doesn't make it as a clothing designer, he can take up rubber stamping.
Didn't realize you had an evil streak about you. Can you imagine?!?!
Old 08-31-2012, 02:14 PM   #69
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Didn't realize you had an evil streak about you. Can you imagine?!?!
I hide it well. Sometimes.

baa hahahhaaa!

Do you remember a couple/three seasons ago, one of the challenges was to design a garment out of newspapers? I loved that challenge and wish they would do another one like it.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:03 PM   #70
Hardware Hotshot

wow, did the girls beat themselves up or what! my gosh!!
and the guys were so calm and collected,LOL

do you think the ending last nite hints at a double elimination next week??
and, with it being a team challenge there is sure to be alot of drama.....its getting better by the week

Elena's dress was kinda cute, i knew where she tried to go but just didnt quite get there, but it also reminded me of the swiffer commercials, "mud" woman!!

Old 08-31-2012, 07:02 PM   #71
Stazon Splitcoast

I think it was to get them back on track after the Hippie and Afroman walked.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:03 PM   #72
Stazon Splitcoast

Just watching *snorts* Boris & Natasha from Rocky and Bullwinkle! LOL! too true!
Old 09-10-2012, 04:10 AM   #73
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Just watching *snorts* Boris & Natasha from Rocky and Bullwinkle! LOL! too true!
Haha! I love Christopher!
Old 09-10-2012, 06:32 PM   #74
Stazon Splitcoast

Can't argue with the outcome.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:35 PM   #75
Vintage Vixen

Agreed, they sent home the right designer. She may as well have made nothing at all.

I couldn't believe how BLAH the Ven's team designs were! And they had the most money.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:50 PM   #76
Stazon Splitcoast

This is the first time in a season where the Judges seem to be complaining about everyone's "signature looks"

Elena's coat boxy with no tailoring.
Dmitry the blanket with the same dress.
Alicia same outfit every week. Behaved more like a seamstress than a designer.
Christopher TBH I think he got away with everyone else being blah. It looked ok. They loved the fabric but I didn't think it made the leap to WOW.
Gunnar knocked it out of the park, so he will be awful next week and next out.
Sonjia Loved her "legend of Zelda" jacket. It was the best outer wear on the runway.
Melissa jacket was ok. It looked plastic-y, the trousers were awful!
Ven's contributions looked dowdy
Fabio that was a sad excuse for a coat. It needed some structure. Most people don't want to look homeless if they pay good money for their clothes.

I liked that Anna Sui pointed out that designers are always working with other designers and need to learn how to work with others to put out a collection. Don't know if that got through some of their thick skulls but it was some good advice.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:33 PM   #77
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
This is the first time in a season where the Judges seem to be complaining about everyone's "signature looks"

Elena's coat boxy with no tailoring.
Dmitry the blanket with the same dress.
Alicia same outfit every week. Behaved more like a seamstress than a designer.
Christopher TBH I think he got away with everyone else being blah. It looked ok. They loved the fabric but I didn't think it made the leap to WOW.
Gunnar knocked it out of the park, so he will be awful next week and next out.
Sonjia Loved her "legend of Zelda" jacket. It was the best outer wear on the runway.
Melissa jacket was ok. It looked plastic-y, the trousers were awful!
Ven's contributions looked dowdy
Fabio that was a sad excuse for a coat. It needed some structure. Most people don't want to look homeless if they pay good money for their clothes.

I liked that Anna Sui pointed out that designers are always working with other designers and need to learn how to work with others to put out a collection. Don't know if that got through some of their thick skulls but it was some good advice.
River, are you psychic?!?!??!!

I thought Ven's print and dress were awful. They could have sent him home just as easily. I kind of wish they had. I also thought Elena's outfit was forgettable. I'm surprised she wasn't in the bottom.

I really liked Melissa's dress. The print was awesome and was the perfect scale to be used that way. She was one of the few to really go bold with her print.

And I was so happy to see Mondo and to hear his comments! I bet he didn't have Dmitry in first place but was out-voted. The other gal, what's her name who won last year--her comments weren't as insightful. IMO

Last edited by missiowa81; 09-13-2012 at 08:49 PM..
Old 09-13-2012, 08:44 PM   #78
Stazon Splitcoast

Gunnar is nothing if not predictable. He was too hit and miss. Though TBH this is Ven's second sour note in a row... I only got a glimpse. Hope to watch it all in the next couple of days.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:30 AM   #79
Forum Fanatic

I was hoping to see Ven go. I thought Mondo and Anya both were so different from the usual judges (irt feedback) and they both seemed a little...I don't know...arrogant? I liked Mondo in his first season but didn't like him much in all-stars.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:03 AM   #80
Stampin' Fool

I DEFINITELY agree that Mondo seemed arrogant. I think it would be a little difficult to be critiqued by people who have just recently been on the show. It is one thing for Michael Kors to tell you your stuff sucks cause he has YEARS of experience and success, but quite another to hear it from people who really have done very little in the fashion world.