Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   TV Talk (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tv-talk-f58/)
-   -   Thoughts on DWTS All-Stars (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tv-talk-f58/thoughts-dwts-all-stars-t558406.html)

debbies 07-29-2012 11:27 AM

Thoughts on DWTS All-Stars

I didn't see a thread started for the new All-Star cast. What are your thoughts?

Part of me loves the champions returning, but part of me is really disappointed in some of the choices for non-winners.

You can't please everyone, I know, but...

why Bristol Palin? I don't care about her politics, but really? why not make her a wild card and put Kyle Massie in. He is getting all my votes - he was FUN to watch.

Pam Anderson? huh? wasn't she eliminated in the middle of her season?-

Donny & Marie - how fun would it have been to see a brother/sister vie for the trophy?

As for me- Drew Lachey will have all my votes unless Kyle makes the wild card cut.

It will be interesting to see if they team them up with a different professional this time around.

peeps321 07-29-2012 12:01 PM

I love a lot of returning champs..I think Apollo Ohno is my fav but Helio Castroneves is so adorable and energetic gotta love him, too..then there's that Teddy Bear Emmit Smith. I don't like as many of the women on this show..why not get Kristi Yamaguchi? She was great but I suppose some people may not want to do the show again or may be unavailable. I'm not thrilled with the some of the non-winners choices..Pam Anderson? Bristol Palin? I might have liked to see Sabrina Bryan back..she was great and got sent packing way too soon. Or Laila Ali..how about Kelly Osbourne or Katherine Jenkins? And a dance off with Donny and Marie would have been fun,too..but don't they have their show in Vegas? It'll be a lot of fun as there are so many really good dancers..this past season had a lot of talent,too and it really made you wonder who was going to get kicked off each week. Looking forward to it..

jkstieber 07-29-2012 12:10 PM

I only started watching the season Donny Osmond won (season 9?) so a lot of these people will be new for me to watch. I really wish they hadn't chosen people who already won the trophy, I'd preferred to see runners up in this season.

Totally agree about Bristol Palin, I really don't want that mess repeated again. If the same thing happens where she keeps staying despite having the lowest score I'll lose interest in this season really fast. But I'm very happy to see Kirstie Alley back.

I agree about Kyle Massey, he was my favorite that I've seen so far. I'm also disappointed that Evan Lysacek, Brandy, and Rob Kardashian aren't there. Brandy's personality got on my nerves sometimes, but I did enjoy watching her dance, and feel that she got robbed because of that Bristol Palin fiasco.

Those are my thoughts. Still looking forward to watching.

stampwithjoanne 07-29-2012 12:20 PM

I certainly saw enough of Ms. Palin (and her mom, and the whole drama-filled family) Round One. She certainly wasn't An All Star. The family name got her votes.

The show has lost me (and a few others I've chatted with). Boring.

smhtwin 07-30-2012 11:17 AM

I thought they would only bring back people who hadn't won.....

I would definitely watch the season if Evan Lysacek was coming back, but since he's not, I don't know if I will watch or not....

TNnative 07-30-2012 11:53 AM

Where can you view the list of the upcoming dancers?

This last show with Jaleel White, Katherine Jenkins, Donald Driver, etc was the first time my family and I had ever watched this program. Anybody they bring in will be new to us. I do wish that they had gone with runners up instead of bringing in past winners and given someone else a chance.

Cynamom 08-02-2012 03:25 PM

You know, I don't like the idea of having past winners there. America's Next Top Model did an all star show recently but had no winners in the group. I liked it that way. What I don't get is why aren't Kyle and Sabrina in the original group to get asked back? They were both really good. Pam Anderson? Bristol Palin? Geez. They do that for dramatic effect, they did that on ANTM's all star season, too. I find it annoying....

I voted for Kyle five times today online (max available per day) and will do so each day. I will say if you feel strongly about Carson, Kyle or Sabrina, VOTE. I read a DWTS Facebook thread and it seems all three have about equal support, which surprised me.... so VOTE! I want Kyle, hands down, and will be putting my money where my mouth is....

Cynamom 08-02-2012 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TNnative (Post 19587259)
Where can you view the list of the upcoming dancers?

This last show with Jaleel White, Katherine Jenkins, Donald Driver, etc was the first time my family and I had ever watched this program. Anybody they bring in will be new to us. I do wish that they had gone with runners up instead of bringing in past winners and given someone else a chance.

If you haven't seen it, here's a good link to the upcoming cast, from USA Today newspaper:

ABC names 'DWTS' all-star cast

maxiesmom 08-08-2012 06:00 PM

I was disappointed too, was hoping to not have past winners on. Just doesn't seem to be fair. Why not have the people who got voted off way too early but deserved to stay on? And even a few that didn't win, not thrilled with them being on. Guess I will have my Monday nights back for doing other things.

Lisa Loiselle 08-13-2012 01:57 PM

As long as they don't bring back Cloris Leachman or Buzz Aldrin. Yikes! I agree, I would rather have seen all folks in the 2nd & 3rd spot come back but it is what it is. I do think having so many past winners will up the ante for what's expected. Should be a great season! Any word on the pros?

mouseprints 08-14-2012 10:35 AM

The pros were announced yesterday.

The returning contestants and their partners are:
*Kelly Monaco and Valentin Chmerkovskiy
*Emmitt Smith and Cheryl Burke
*Joey Fatone and Kym Johnson
*Kirstie Alley and Maksim Chmerkovskiy
*Bristol Palin and Mark Ballas
*Pamela Anderson and Tristan McManus
*Apolo Anton Ohno and Karina Smirnoff
*Gilles Marini and Peta Murgatroyd
*Drew Lachey and Anna Trebunskaya
*Helio Castroneves and Chelsie Hightower
*Melissa Rycroft and Tony Dovolani
*Shawn Johnson and Derek Hough

Lazorkay 08-14-2012 10:46 AM

Kyle, Kyle, Kyle!

His free dance with Lacy to Tootsie Roll was great!

Kirstie Alley has once again lost a bunch of weight. It will be interesting to see how she does this time around.

Drew with Anna? I love Anna!

gale 08-18-2012 12:56 PM

I also wish they would have only brought back non winners. That said, Pam Anderson makes me gag and I'm hoping she goes quickly. I'm one of those rare Bristol fans so I don't mind her being back on. I didn't see it back when a lot of them were on so this is my chance to see them for the first time. I think the first season I watched was when Donny Osmond was on (until we had directv we didn't get any ABC channels).

debbies 08-19-2012 06:33 AM

I wonder if the dancers who had multiple celebrities return were able to choose who they danced with?

Lisa Loiselle 08-19-2012 09:15 AM

Helio and Chelsie will be fun to watch, as will Shawn and Derek.

Cynamom 08-20-2012 06:03 AM

If I had to put money on it right now I would go with Shawn and Derek. She is an athlete so she has the chops for this show (and it was proven with a victory) and Derek is an amazing choreographer (and has a lot of female fans, LOL).

Lazorkay 08-20-2012 06:32 AM

I am hoping Kyle gets in. HOWEVER, I did like me some Emit and he is back with Cheryl.

Lazorkay 08-20-2012 06:32 AM

I thought Emit did great with MC Hammer :)

Cynamom 08-20-2012 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazorkay (Post 19630526)
I am hoping Kyle gets in. HOWEVER, I did like me some Emit and he is back with Cheryl.

I liked Emmitt a lot, too, but fear is that it seems fewer people like Cheryl. It seems as the seasons have gone on, it's gotten more and more to do with the pro... not as much as the celeb, but that the pros have a bigger role in attracting fans. We all have our faves, and probably ones we don't like, too, I would think. I used to like Mark then he started acting like a jerk some of the times, same for Maks, so I have to work really hard in my own head to not hold it against the pro...

Lazorkay 08-20-2012 08:40 AM

Agreed.

Of course, Giles was with Cheryl, as well as Nick. :)

I really don't know who I would like to win this season. I want to see some dancing and I know those 3 guys AND KYLE can do some dancing! LOL

Shawn was good, but I think the guys were better.

Kirsty has lost a ton of weight - again - and maybe she can do much better than she did originally with Maks.

I am tired of the snarky pros as well!

mouseprints 08-20-2012 11:56 AM

I thought this was interesting:

Kelly Monaco Finished first
Emmitt Smith Finished first
Joey Fatone Finished second
Kirstie Alley Finished second
Bristol Palin Finished third
Pamela Anderson Finished sixth
Apolo Anton Ohno Finished first
Gilles Marini Finished second
Drew Lachey Finished first
Helio Castroneves Finished first
Melissa Rycroft Finished third
Shawn Johnson Finished first

everyone finished in the top 3 except for Pam.

maxiesmom 09-06-2012 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cynamom (Post 19630551)
I liked Emmitt a lot, too, but fear is that it seems fewer people like Cheryl. It seems as the seasons have gone on, it's gotten more and more to do with the pro... not as much as the celeb, but that the pros have a bigger role in attracting fans. We all have our faves, and probably ones we don't like, too, I would think. I used to like Mark then he started acting like a jerk some of the times, same for Maks, so I have to work really hard in my own head to not hold it against the pro...

No doubt, my mom always tells me she voted for 'Derek'. She doesn't care who he is with, it's all about Derek!

amycrossley 09-07-2012 07:34 AM

If it truly is to be an "All Stars" cast then it SHOULD be the top finishers.

Every season there has been 1 or 2 who were good but voted out WAY to early, usually lesser known celebrities. I would like to a season with those people, but that shouldn't be called "All Stars", maybe "DWTS: Second Chance".

gale 09-07-2012 10:18 AM

In that case Pam shouldn't be there. I don't get why she is anyway and I hope she's gone first. She's skanky.

Clownmom 09-09-2012 04:40 PM

The DWTS All-Star show gave me the perfect opportunity to stop watching it. Ever since Bristol Palin wound up in the finals, I've been trying to wean myself off. And now I can with no regrets!

gale 09-09-2012 06:01 PM

Oh brother. Why all the hate?

Clownmom 09-10-2012 05:06 PM

No hate. I just thought that Bristol wasn't as good as where she wound up. Obviously, she had fans or else she wouldn't have gotten there. I guess I was being too idealistic -- that it was talent that counted, not popularity.

gale 09-10-2012 07:19 PM

That happens a lot. I didn't think Kirstie Alley was good enough to finish 2nd.

I'll be honest. I vote for who I want to keep watching, not for dancing ability. If someone is a complete jerk and a great dancer, I don't want to keep watching them so I don't vote for them.

Clownmom 09-11-2012 02:55 PM

Point taken!

Cynamom 09-14-2012 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gale (Post 19670784)
In that case Pam shouldn't be there. I don't get why she is anyway and I hope she's gone first. She's skanky.

I keep forgetting there is no LIKE button here.... but I LIKE this statement! :)

Cynamom 09-14-2012 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clownmom (Post 19678137)
No hate. I just thought that Bristol wasn't as good as where she wound up. Obviously, she had fans or else she wouldn't have gotten there. I guess I was being too idealistic -- that it was talent that counted, not popularity.

Yeah, the Bristol thing got annoying quickly last time around. It was like she became some pawn .... like it was almost about politics related to her mom and not her. She didn't seem the least bit interested in being involved in as polarizing as she became, and in that way I sort of felt sorry for her.

I saw an interview with her last night, a long one. She is much thinner now and has had some sort of jaw surgery. She looks good. The thing about her though, to me, is that she was pretty boring last time around and seems to have that same personality, which always kind of surprised me.... coming from that lifestyle and from a family that seems to have a lot of personality. I tend to like the people that are a little bit more outgoing when they are on DWTS.... Apolo, Kyle, etc.

Either way, looking forward to the season!

Cynamom 09-16-2012 07:35 AM

I just found out that Sabrina made the viewer vote spot. I wanted Kyle so badly!!!! I am not saying Sabrina didn't deserve it, but why didn't Kyle get a spot in the original group? He was one of the viewer faves on his season! He seems like so much fun and really lights up the show.... oh well.....

Lazorkay 09-17-2012 04:03 AM

well that just bites! I think Kyle was the better dancer!!

Cynamom 09-17-2012 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazorkay (Post 19691976)
well that just bites! I think Kyle was the better dancer!!

I know, he was SO FUN!!!! I was SURE he was going to make it in, totally sure! I had voted quite a few times, and all the buzz I read on the forums was for Kyle, a huge majority anyway. Makes me a little suspicious. I was really looking forward to him being on the show....

EHeeger 09-21-2012 02:35 PM

I'm glad Sabrina is coming back. I loved her and thought she was eliminated WAY too soon, as did a great number of people. I still wish that Kyle was coming back too but the public has spoken. I'm just not sure Louis is the right pro for her, he's VERY good but I just don't see them meshing as well. Then again, she was on when Mark wasn't a complete @ss.

I just saw today that Maks and Derek have announced that they will NOT be returning to the show after this season. This saddens me quite a bit. I love them both!

I haven't really watched the last few seasons because there have been other things on tv that I wanted to watch more. I will be watching as much of this season as possible, as long as the cable company allows me to "go back." Again, there are other things on that I wish to watch more. Now that Maks and Derek will be leaving, I don't see me watching it again.

Cynamom 09-24-2012 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EHeeger (Post 19701908)
I'm glad Sabrina is coming back. I loved her and thought she was eliminated WAY too soon, as did a great number of people. I still wish that Kyle was coming back too but the public has spoken. I'm just not sure Louis is the right pro for her, he's VERY good but I just don't see them meshing as well. Then again, she was on when Mark wasn't a complete @ss.

I just saw today that Maks and Derek have announced that they will NOT be returning to the show after this season. This saddens me quite a bit. I love them both!

I haven't really watched the last few seasons because there have been other things on tv that I wanted to watch more. I will be watching as much of this season as possible, as long as the cable company allows me to "go back." Again, there are other things on that I wish to watch more. Now that Maks and Derek will be leaving, I don't see me watching it again.

Ugh. That is BAD news! I love Derek! He, Louis and Julianne were my faves now they will all be gone. I know Louis is coming back this season, but wonder if it's just for one? From what I remember, it was the choice of DWTS big shots not to have him back... he wanted to come back.

I know, there's so much stuff on TV I want to watch that it gets hard to fit it all in. I've been watching The Voice at the same time as DWTS so I've set The Voice to record and will watch DWTS. I don't mind watching some of the stuff on On Demand (I have Comcast), but the thing there is you can't fast forward through commercials!! That's really annoying. Plus, you don't always know when they will put it up. The do re-run The Voice on Saturdays but I'm not always home at the time they do, but I suppose I could record it on Saturdays if it came to that. I don't want to miss DWTS, so that would be my first priority on recording. And then here comes Grey's Anatomy for me this week, LOL!

Fun but stressful!

Lazorkay 09-24-2012 05:16 AM

I hope to be able to watch on the internet tomorrow! I am already recording all my other programs :)

gale 09-24-2012 10:07 AM

I'm only recording hawaii 5-0 so I'll have to let dwts record for all but the last 1 minute. I hate that they have to go over by one minute like that. Can't they just cut out a couple of commercials?? At any rate it's usually just chit chat and recaps the last minute so I shouldn't miss much.

Lazorkay 09-24-2012 10:12 AM

I'm recording Hawaii 5-0 and Revolution.

Recording Bones as well - but that is 7 pm my time and I have to be able to watch the Texas Ranger game :)

Cynamom 09-24-2012 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazorkay (Post 19707624)
I'm recording Hawaii 5-0 and Revolution.

Recording Bones as well - but that is 7 pm my time and I have to be able to watch the Texas Ranger game :)

Why is there so much good TV on at this time!!!?!?!? I have no idea how I am going to squeeze in two hours of The Voice on tape later tonight or tomorrow. I won't get a shot at the TV the VCR is on til after 10 but have to get up at 6:15!