Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   TV Talk (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tv-talk-f58/)
-   -   Next Food Network Star? (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tv-talk-f58/next-food-network-star-t574188.html)

UnderstandBlue 06-09-2013 07:49 AM

Next Food Network Star?

Anyone?

Surely Danushka is just on for drama, no?

I like Viet a lot - hope he can pull his camera presence together. I also like the BBQ dude. :)

PH in VA 06-09-2013 06:08 PM

There's a certain word for Danushka... I believe it rhymes with "itch" but since this is a family-friendly site I can't say any more about it. :twisted:

I like Stacy and the BBQ guy. The guy with the mohawk and 7 culinary sins seems interesting too.

I just finished watching tonight's episode. I was disappointed in which of the bottom two people went home and which one got to stay.

Stampnf1n 06-17-2013 02:31 AM

I am quite pleased with the latest episode.

I would have never watched that show as that voice was so annoying.

UnderstandBlue 06-17-2013 03:10 AM

Now we have a show. Although I have to say - no one's food seems to really be wowing anyone.

PH in VA 06-17-2013 05:26 AM

I missed last night's episode. I guess I'll have to search it out on hulu or something.

However, sometime last week I saw a commercial for this show and noticed a certain someone was missing from it...

mcbenjam 06-20-2013 12:42 PM

I wonder if any of the viewers actually liked Danushka. Stranger things could happen! I wouldn't in a million years be able to watch a show that she hosted.

Like others, I really like Viet and the BBQ dude. Viet seems very creative, and it would take loads of talent to beat Bobby Flay on Iron Chef.

Has anyone noticed that the contestants aren't broken up into mentoring teams like last year? Maybe the idea didn't go over well? I liked it. I always ended up rooting for Team Alton, mostly because I like him.

Mary

UnderstandBlue 06-20-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbenjam (Post 20212140)
I wonder if any of the viewers actually liked Danushka. Stranger things could happen! I wouldn't in a million years be able to watch a show that she hosted.

Like others, I really like Viet and the BBQ dude. Viet seems very creative, and it would take loads of talent to beat Bobby Flay on Iron Chef.

Has anyone noticed that the contestants aren't broken up into mentoring teams like last year? Maybe the idea didn't go over well? I liked it. I always ended up rooting for Team Alton, mostly because I like him.

Mary

I feel the same way - I just love him and am not a fan of Giada, so that's who I rooted for.

I like it better without the fake? drama between Alton and Giada and Bobby. Although I have to say Alton's tweets about Giada during that season were HILARIOUS

PH in VA 06-24-2013 11:21 AM

I can't honestly say that I'll miss the person who left last night. There was just something about her that annoyed me a lot.

Last year was the first time I watched the show, so I don't really have a preference over the teams vs. individuals issue.

UnderstandBlue 06-24-2013 11:36 AM

She was annoying. And I don't understand how they make inedible food - did she not even try that before she put it on the plate? Even I know that was a terrible idea.

PH in VA 06-24-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlue (Post 20217002)
She was annoying. And I don't understand how they make inedible food - did she not even try that before she put it on the plate? Even I know that was a terrible idea.

I wondered that, too.

I thought it was kind of funny that her teammates were suggesting to her that she make beignets, and then when the team's foods were served to Bobby, Giada and Alton, one of them said, "Why didn't she make a beignet?"

mcbenjam 06-24-2013 05:15 PM

Exactly - who would go on as high-profile a cooking competition as this one and use pre-packaged dough? Alton, Bobby and Giada keep telling the contestants that they need to be believable as experts and to own the food. That sure wasn't a way to expertly own the food!

And she was annoying!

Mary

PH in VA 07-21-2013 02:50 PM

Have y'all been keeping up with the "Star Salvation" short videos on the Food Network website? Who do you think will be brought back to the show?

sandilotter 07-30-2013 02:23 PM

I am so disappointed in the contestants wo are still in the contest. I don't think I would watch a show starring any of them.

Whatever happened to last year's winner? He was so mediocre that I don't even remember his name. Watched his show once and was bored to tears.

UnderstandBlue 07-30-2013 02:29 PM

I'm going to watch this week's right now so no spoilers :)

But I liked The Sandwich King and I do watch his show. While I find him a little annoying at times, his recipes are fantastic.

berlycece 07-30-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandilotter (Post 20269071)
I am so disappointed in the contestants wo are still in the contest. I don't think I would watch a show starring any of them.

Whatever happened to last year's winner? He was so mediocre that I don't even remember his name. Watched his show once and was bored to tears.

This week's eliminated contestant was the only one I thought had a POV worthy of her own show. The judges even acknowledged her POV needs attention...but she's not "an authority" in food

But Rodney is??? Yikes

I liked last year's winner (Justin) but have never seen his show. Hard to show anything new when there are constant episodes of DDD

I recently went back to watching cooking shows on Create (PBS). Actual food, no drama, simple production...very refreshing!

UnderstandBlue 07-30-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by berlycece (Post 20269085)

I liked last year's winner (Justin) but have never seen his show. Hard to show anything new when there are constant episodes of DDD

OMG who is Justin??? LOL I guess I don't remember him and skipped year. HAHA

Quote:

I recently went back to watching cooking shows on Create (PBS). Actual food, no drama, simple production...very refreshing!
I long for that. I'm tired of crying and hard luck story. I miss Julie and Jacques Pepin.

sandilotter 07-31-2013 12:11 AM

Totally agree about the constant episodes of DDD. The reruns are killing me. I like Guy Fieri, but in small doses.

UnderstandBlue 07-31-2013 03:35 AM

Yeah all the yelling irritates me. Like with one Anne Burrell does where she just screams at people for half an hour. Awful.

Why can't they re-run Good Eats?

PH in VA 07-31-2013 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandilotter (Post 20269071)

Justin actually had/has a show? I've seen him on a few commercials but never a full-blown show. I didn't care a whole lot for him.

And I, too, am getting tired of all the DDD reruns.

berlycece 07-31-2013 12:18 PM

Hate to admit this, but I went to Wikipedia (shudder) simply because they seem to keep track of reality shows

You can see who won Food Network Star each season as you scroll through

Apparently (though wiki is not the best source) Justin's show did not go into production, but no details given. I wonder if Alton had "buyer's remorse"

Justin Warner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And yes...it would be fun to see more episodes of Good Eats. It's cooking for crying out loud...not like it goes out of style, right?

PH in VA 08-03-2013 08:01 AM

If anyone is interested, here's the link to Nikki's blog:
Nikki Dinki Cooking

Even though there's something about her personality that annoys me a little, I think she has a valid and unique point of view that could have longevity with a viewing audience.

I think "the pie guy" is more of a trendy fad than anything else. Rodney may be a nice guy in real life, but he comes across as a goofball. And the only thing he has made that I can remember the judges really liking was that one cocktail sort of drink several weeks ago - NOT something with a crust. Ironic, huh.

I want to like Russell but he's so inconsistent with his presentations. There's something about him that's a little sinister, but then his eyes and smile are warm and friendly. IMO anyway.

I liked Stacey at the beginning of the competition, but in the last few weeks she hasn't seemed as personable. The way she talked over the doughnut man was really bad. What's her POV - "vintage modern" or something like that? Yawn.

My husband has a theory that Damaris will win. Since she's a southern girl, he thinks the network wants her to be the replacement for Paula Deen. I do have to say that she's probably shown more growth throughout the competition than any of the other remaining contestants.

mcbenjam 08-04-2013 03:03 PM

Of the ones remaining, Pie Guy Rodney is my absolute LEAST favorite. I would never be able to stand watching his show, and wish he had gone home weeks ago. And yes, as someone mentioned, it seems most weeks the judges haven't really liked his food.

Our family would love it if more Good Eats episodes were made. We have all 3 of the Alton Brown/Good Eats cookbooks. They're huge! I do remember reading in an interview with Alton Brown that after he became popular on Food Network, people didn't invite his family over for meals very much. I'd guess it would be intimidating to have him in your kitchen, no matter how nice he is!

Enough of the fake/trumped up drama on food television. I want to see techniques, tips and recipes. I don't want to see a dramatic statement from a person just before commercial break, then a repeat of the exact same video clip on return from commercial break. It just wastes my time and is annoying!

Mary

UnderstandBlue 08-04-2013 03:06 PM

Yeah - if you're the "pie guy" and your pie crust is raw, go home...

The Damaris theory is a good one - you may be right.

Although I think Stacy is more charming on camera (except the donut episode - what the heck?) and I think the vintage to modern is sort of fun. The fact that she was on Restaurant Impossible makes me think they liked her enough to want to see her on TV.

MadgeRPh 08-05-2013 03:55 AM

I have only seen the last few episodes so I don't have a complete picture of all the contestants.

Stacey seemed nice and it appears she can cook well but she seemed a bit whiny to me. Rodney has personality but I could not watch more than 1 or 2 episodes of pie making. It's seems to be a fad.

I don't get Russell's thing at all.

I really liked Damaris and loved the idea for her pilot of a guy winning over a woman with his cooking! The Paula Deen angle is a good one!

berlycece 08-05-2013 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlue (Post 20278295)
Yeah - if you're the "pie guy" and your pie crust is raw, go home...

How 'bout it! That grilled cheese steak pie looked awful on top! What an insult to that chef. I saw him months ago as a competitor on Iron Chef; he knows how to cook! I cannot believe 8 out of 10 people liked the pie better. Blech It had to have been prompted for the sake of the pilot.

Rodney has annoyed me from at least week 3...I canNOT figure out what the judges see in him.

berlycece 08-05-2013 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadgeRPh (Post 20278984)
I have only seen the last few episodes so I don't have a complete picture of all the contestants.

Stacey seemed nice and it appears she can cook well but she seemed a bit whiny to me. Rodney has personality but I could not watch more than 1 or 2 episodes of pie making. It's seems to be a fad.

I don't get Russell's thing at all.

I really liked Damaris and loved the idea for her pilot of a guy winning over a woman with his cooking! The Paula Deen angle is a good one!

I kinda like Russell...and I think the title Guilty Pleasures works better than "culinary sins". If he had started with that, he may ave found his focus sooner. I think the candied bacon on top of the bourbon ice cream was creative. I don't drink bourbon...but bacon belongs any where it wants to be!

I don't think Damaris is intentionally using a Paula Deen angle...but timing may be just right for her. With PD off the network, a fresh new southern cooking show is needed. I also thought Damaris was very natural and fun and giddy when she was cooking with the "student". I found her charming. Her intro was well-worded but dull in delivery. I think she is best when she just interacts and has fun.

I just hope Pie Guy does not win. Yikes

PH in VA 08-05-2013 12:49 PM

I agree that the grilled cheese pie did not look appetizing.

I have to wonder, if Rodney wins, is Food Network also going to pay for a diction/enunciation coach for him? :twisted:

UnderstandBlue 08-05-2013 01:12 PM

No one is going to watch the Bob Dylan of cooking - :D

They have to know that.

I'm sad about last night's loser :(

PH in VA 08-05-2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlue (Post 20279816)
No one is going to watch the Bob Dylan of cooking - :D

They have to know that.

I'm sad about last night's loser :(

Do you mean that with regard to Rodney's musical abilities, or inability to understand what he's saying/singing? :lol:

I'd have to rewatch last night's episode again to be sure, but I felt the way the mentors encouraged her pilot idea, she was almost set up for being turned down by the network. But the way she presented it really wasn't so great.

UnderstandBlue 08-05-2013 04:08 PM

Bwahahah! The mushmouth, not the singing!!

berlycece 08-05-2013 05:30 PM

I wonder how many eliminated contestants are asking themselves "How is Pie Guy still in this?"

mcbenjam 08-08-2013 07:39 PM

I just watched the episode from 8/4/13, and cannot believe the Pie Guy is in the top 3. How can they think anyone would watch his show for more than a few minutes? I object to his attitude, and he really doesn't use enough of a vocabulary to be the star of a show that involves talking and instruction.

I also see that the voting has already ended. Oh well!

Mary

sandilotter 08-15-2013 10:23 AM

I find it very telling that no one has posted since the winner was announced. I was sorely disappointed in this year's contest and the final 3. Demaris was the least objectionable of the final 3, but that doesn't mean that I would watch her show.

IMHO,the best part of this show is that there was less of Giada being nasty to the contestants and the other judges. Unfortunately, the format of the show is boring.

I am betting that this show goes by the wayside. I think home cooks that watch Food Network are looking for more professional cooks to help them improve their techniques. The only winner of Next Food Network Star that I ever watched wasGuy Fieri, who was already an established cook and restaurant owner here in Northern California. Don't need to learn anything from anyone that Alton Brown needs to keep reminding that "you are the expert".

UnderstandBlue 08-15-2013 10:42 AM

Yeah - the quality of the show and the contestants has suffered a LOT since the beginning. I think when they started the show, they really were competing and being judged. Now it's a bad reality TV show with a groomed pick already known, and everyone else just hanging around for the drama.