Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-14-2012, 01:30 PM   #1
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Craft Wars on TLC

Just caught a commercial for a new show coming to TLC called Crafts Wars hosted by Tori Spelling.
I have her party planning book, CelebraTori, which is great. Also enjoyed her reality shows when she hosted parties and did the wedding planning.
Definitely checking it out on the 26th.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 06-18-2012, 06:26 AM   #2
Pearl-ExPert

I am looking forward to this too...sounds like a fun show!! Tori is quite crafty...makes jewellry.

my gallery
My Blog
Old 06-18-2012, 10:21 AM   #3
Insane Embellisher

Wonder if they will do any knitting? That is my new hobby.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:13 PM   #4
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNnative View Post
Wonder if they will do any knitting? That is my new hobby.
Mine too....only it's not exactly new!
Old 06-18-2012, 04:57 PM   #5
Gabfest Goddess

I was checking the forum to talk about another program and saw this post. I have to admit that I'm not a big fan of Tori Spelling but the idea of a crafting program was interesting enough to check this out. I set the tivo to tape the first episode which airs June 26th. I just wish shows would stop using "wars" in the title. Sounds so violent. How about Crafter's Challenge?
Old 06-19-2012, 04:41 AM   #6
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebsmama View Post
I was checking the forum to talk about another program and saw this post. I have to admit that I'm not a big fan of Tori Spelling but the idea of a crafting program was interesting enough to check this out. I set the tivo to tape the first episode which airs June 26th. I just wish shows would stop using "wars" in the title. Sounds so violent. How about Crafter's Challenge?
I was not a fan of her either, but one night I caught a show & she was hosting a party for her child. After that I was hooked. A friend asked her why she made the favors, treats, food when she could just go buy it. She told the friend this is showing love.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:33 PM   #7
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
I set the tivo to tape the first episode which airs June 26th. I just wish shows would stop using "wars" in the title. Sounds so violent. How about Crafter's Challenge?
I agree with the wars part, I'm tired of it of it also.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:40 PM   #8
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadgeRPh View Post
Mine too....only it's not exactly new!
I just started knitting in November. I am taking a sock class right now. I've kind of gotten away from cardmaking. I don't have anywhere right now to spread out my work w/o the cats playing in it. It's a hassle to start working, then have to pack everything away to cook supper. Knitting I can just drop back in the bag and zip it up!
Old 06-25-2012, 05:31 AM   #9
Polyshrink Goddess

I got really excited when I saw advertisements for this new show. I was envisioning something like Cupcake Wars. TLC teams up with Michaels for the supplies. They have a link to a 50% off Michael's coupon on the TLC site Craft Wars site.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:30 PM   #10
CBC Lady Violet

Count me as another who is tired of the "wars" titles. And I'm another who isn't very fond of Tori Spelling, but craft shows are so few these days, I will certainly watch the first episode to see what I think.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:55 PM   #11
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNnative View Post
I just started knitting in November. I am taking a sock class right now. I've kind of gotten away from cardmaking. I don't have anywhere right now to spread out my work w/o the cats playing in it. It's a hassle to start working, then have to pack everything away to cook supper. Knitting I can just drop back in the bag and zip it up!

Same with me (except for the part about the cats as I don't have any!)
I have to go in my stamping area where all my supplies are to make cards but my knitting is completely portable. I find I'm doing alot more knitting these days too.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:13 PM   #12
CBC Lady Violet

So now that the first episode has aired, what do you all think?

I did enjoy it. I don't think this is going to become a show where I.MUST.NOT.MISS and will not book anything that night for fear of missing it. But I will continue watching.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:38 PM   #13
Compulsive Stamper

I'll continue watching. Shows like this usually get better and more creative with age.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:41 AM   #14
Gabfest Goddess

Just finished watching this. So far, I'm not a fan. I know it sounds odd, but Tori's platinum hair and bright red lipstick were so distracting to me. I kept thinking of how too done up she looked for this kind of show.

Michelle mentioned in her previous post that this would be like Cupcake Wars (a show I watched once but couldn't stand enough to watch again) and boy it is almost exactly the same except for what they are making. The ridiculous puns, the overacting by the host and judges and bringing in lots of extra help at the end.

I didn't mind that they gave the contestants oddball items to craft with. I didn't like that they gave them a short time period but gave them help. I would have rather seen the contestants have two hours for the first challenge and do it themselves than one hour with a helper. Same for the big challenge. I don't think it's really the crafter's work for the end result if they have six people actually doing the work and the crafter just comes up with the idea. Plus, isn't the whole idea of crafting the actual making of the items and not the thinking of making them?

It's no surprise that Michael's is sponsoring the show and that their banner is displayed in the background. There are so many product placement ads on shows these days I'm more surprised when I don't see them. I'm just surprised that Lowe's didn't get in on this for the woodshop area.

I have never heard of any of these judges before. I would have been more impressed to see someone like Carol Duvall on there. Of course maybe she wouldn't have agreed to do the show because it's so hokey.

I agreed with their decision for the winner of this week's show. Even though she didn't finish it I thought her bag was the most stylish without being silly and I thought her play house came out best.

I may watch next week's episode. Like Anemone said, there are so few craft shows on these days so you have to take advantage of what is offered.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:08 PM   #15
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Just finished watching this. So far, I'm not a fan. I know it sounds odd, but Tori's platinum hair and bright red lipstick were so distracting to me. I kept thinking of how too done up she looked for this kind of show.

Michelle mentioned in her previous post that this would be like Cupcake Wars (a show I watched once but couldn't stand enough to watch again) and boy it is almost exactly the same except for what they are making. The ridiculous puns, the overacting by the host and judges and bringing in lots of extra help at the end.

I didn't mind that they gave the contestants oddball items to craft with. I didn't like that they gave them a short time period but gave them help. I would have rather seen the contestants have two hours for the first challenge and do it themselves than one hour with a helper. Same for the big challenge. I don't think it's really the crafter's work for the end result if they have six people actually doing the work and the crafter just comes up with the idea. Plus, isn't the whole idea of crafting the actual making of the items and not the thinking of making them?

It's no surprise that Michael's is sponsoring the show and that their banner is displayed in the background. There are so many product placement ads on shows these days I'm more surprised when I don't see them. I'm just surprised that Lowe's didn't get in on this for the woodshop area.

I have never heard of any of these judges before. I would have been more impressed to see someone like Carol Duvall on there. Of course maybe she wouldn't have agreed to do the show because it's so hokey.

I agreed with their decision for the winner of this week's show. Even though she didn't finish it I thought her bag was the most stylish without being silly and I thought her play house came out best.

I may watch next week's episode. Like Anemone said, there are so few craft shows on these days so you have to take advantage of what is offered.
Totally agree on so many things. Her lipstick looked horrible! It almost looked smeared at times.
I did love her kids coming out - they are so cute.
Didn't know any of the judges either - Carol Duvall would have been awesome!!!!! Even though I don't care for her - Rosie O'Donnell might have been a good choice. She always did crafting things on her old show.

I'll watch it again. It just really made me miss Carol Duvall that much more.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:03 AM   #16
Stampin' Fool

I loved the show. I know the judge who sat in the middle is Michael's design team person. She's the one on the app that shows you how to make crafts with their products. The other two I don't know.

As for Tori that's just how she is. So I didn't mind her. My DH was the one who DVRed it for me. It's definitely a show I'll watch again. I really thought the lady who won was the most creative even though she didn't get to finish the first challenge.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:50 AM   #17
Polyshrink Goddess

I was a bit put off by some of Tori's snarky comments. Have you ever tried to create something with a timer going off on you? It is difficult. I didn't like the winner too much. I thought her stuff looked too plain and commercial like something you could already go buy at the store. I liked Christy. She is messy but so cute and you could actually play in her playhouse. The other one might as well have made a decorative shed. Yes it was cute, don't get me wrong...but I didn't think it was a better play house. I am biased. I like Christy she designs for Unity Stamps.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:30 PM   #18
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I watched... not sure what I think yet. Will have to tune in again next week. I guess maybe I'm just more of a small-scale crafter and making a playhouse to me isn't really crafting. I agree too with what someone said... Christy's playhouse may have been a little more unusual-looking, but at least kids could actually PLAY in it.

Tori kind of creeps me out.... her dress appeared see-though to me, and what's with that funky braid going across her forehead? She's too "done-up" for me. And is she pregnant? If not, she should NOT wear that dress again... it does nothing for her! LOL

I know not what this day holds....but I know Who holds the day!!
Old 06-29-2012, 03:08 AM   #19
Stampin' Fool

Yes, Tori Spelling is pregnant with her 4th child.

I like Tori's style it reminds me of old Hollywood. If anything she
looked a bit stiff to me. It came across to me that she may have been
nervous.

I think she keeps working because she wants her kids to have the kind
of life her dad Aaron Spelling gave her. But her folks cut her off for divorcing the guy they picked and then marrying the guy they didn't.

Craft Wars to me seems to be a mix of DIY and crafting. I think Christy's playhouse should have been designed better. Especially because the crafters were coming up with the design and then getting help from a team of people for the last challenge. Her design was wonderful on the inside but a hot mess on the outside. It was to large, it didn't look like a bus with that scalloped border on the top, and all that mod podge
of fabric. She should have had it painted yellow or used just one fabric. The door she had her DH build was super cute and obviously incorporated the mod podge that she wanted to display on her clubhouse but then it didn't fit and he had to go back and recut it.

Both contestants had the same amount of time and one just clearly looked better. When I was a kid if you had a clubhouse it was just done on the outside and you brought your toys in with you.

Last edited by cr8iveme; 06-29-2012 at 03:11 AM.. Reason: The spacing was off
Old 06-29-2012, 05:28 PM   #20
CBC Lady Violet

I am definitely not a fan of Tori - I found her annoying as a host.
Add me to the list of "who are these people" for two of the judges. Jo Pearson from M's I recognize, since I've watched some of the stuff put out by Ms with her in it. The other two?
Also not a fan of all the "help". I don't mind having the one person, but the masses of people running around in the second part is just silly. Either make the "big" project smaller, or give more time. I'd love to see the first challenge be the crafter only, and the second challenge be just them & their one helper.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:59 AM   #21
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr8iveme View Post
Yes, Tori Spelling is pregnant with her 4th child.

I like Tori's style it reminds me of old Hollywood. If anything she
looked a bit stiff to me. It came across to me that she may have been
nervous.

I think she keeps working because she wants her kids to have the kind
of life her dad Aaron Spelling gave her. But her folks cut her off for divorcing the guy they picked and then marrying the guy they didn't.

Craft Wars to me seems to be a mix of DIY and crafting. I think Christy's playhouse should have been designed better. Especially because the crafters were coming up with the design and then getting help from a team of people for the last challenge. Her design was wonderful on the inside but a hot mess on the outside. It was to large, it didn't look like a bus with that scalloped border on the top, and all that mod podge
of fabric. She should have had it painted yellow or used just one fabric. The door she had her DH build was super cute and obviously incorporated the mod podge that she wanted to display on her clubhouse but then it didn't fit and he had to go back and recut it.

Both contestants had the same amount of time and one just clearly looked better. When I was a kid if you had a clubhouse it was just done on the outside and you brought your toys in with you.
I am dating myself with this comment but was she going for The Partridge Family bus look? Thats assuming she is old enough to remember it. Ha! But I would have loved it yellow!

Bonnie
Old 06-30-2012, 03:26 AM   #22
Stazon Splitcoast

Yes she's pregnant again. It's funny because I watched her premiere crafting spot on HSN & I thought she looks pregnant. She had just had a baby within the year & they made no mention of it on the show. As the show kept progressing, I noticed she tried really hard to try & position herself to hide it. Anyway, a week later they announced it on one of the morning talk shows.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:08 AM   #23
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampnf1n View Post
I am dating myself with this comment but was she going for The Partridge Family bus look? Thats assuming she is old enough to remember it. Ha! But I would have loved it yellow!

Bonnie
Ok I had to google that bus. If that was the look she was going for it was wrong because that bus is muticolored. It had reds, whites, blues, and yellows and definitely no funky scallop at the top.

Mary
Old 07-02-2012, 08:09 AM   #24
Polyshrink Goddess

Another vote in the "who are these people as judges" column. I liked the bag with the tennis racket as the bottom. I guess she got kicked off because her major design element was the racket and Michael's doesn't sell tennis rackets. And them making such a big deal about using hot glue to attach the base. I bet the others used hot glue to attach their ugly painted football pieces and ballet shoes. I think the one who didn't finish should have been kicked off. SHE DIDN'T FINISH!!! Even her playhouse wasn't finished. I may give it one more chance to see if it gets any better. If it doesn't and gets canceled, you know what that means.... more free time for Tori to make more babies!
Old 07-02-2012, 09:24 AM   #25
SCS Swap Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michellena317 View Post
I was a bit put off by some of Tori's snarky comments. Have you ever tried to create something with a timer going off on you? It is difficult. I didn't like the winner too much. I thought her stuff looked too plain and commercial like something you could already go buy at the store. I liked Christy. She is messy but so cute and you could actually play in her playhouse. The other one might as well have made a decorative shed. Yes it was cute, don't get me wrong...but I didn't think it was a better play house. I am biased. I like Christy she designs for Unity Stamps.
Oh, wow. I didn't know that. I just watched the show on demand yesterday. I thought the girl they let go first looked familiar, but I couldn't place her.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:37 AM   #26
Gabfest Goddess

Just watched this week's episode. In the first competition I thought it was odd that the judges kept stressing on making the birdhouses functional but, as someone who knows a lot about birds and birding, I can tell you that not one of those houses would attract birds. They were too big and the holes weren't the right size or in a proper position and there were too many distracting elements. Even if they were only meant to be decorative not one of them would have withstood a single rain storm. There wasn't one of them that I liked.

Again with the ridiculous sized second project. That's not crafting, that's building. I don't think they were particularly functional either. The couch the lady made had only small slats to sit on. They would not support much weight so you really couldn't have anyone but small children sit on them. Her small table was different but I didn't think it was particularly good looking and the glitter ice cubes were just silly. The guy's set was a little less cluttered and his chaise was very inventive but it didn't look like something you could sit on for very long and be comfortable.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:16 AM   #27
CBC Lady Violet

I was less impressed by last night's episode than the first one.
I would have enjoyed the first challenge more if instead of a birdhouse, they had given them a junk drawer and said "make something" leaving it to the creativity of the crafter to come up with something decorative and/or functional, as opposed to those ridiculous birdhouses.
As for the second part, the patio furniture, I thought that was just a huge waste of time and materials. At least the playhouse challenge last week finished up with a functional playhouse which could be given to some children to use. While I think the patio furniture they made was quite inventive with their use of materials, I really don't think it is actually useable.
Overall so far, I am disappointed in this show. I was really excited by the trailers and was thinking that finally there would be a new craft show on tv. So far, it's turning out kinda meh and I'll watch because I'm home and there is nothing else on and at least it is a sort of craft show. But I won't be going out of my way to make sure I see it KWIM?

Last edited by Anemone; 07-04-2012 at 06:17 AM.. Reason: grammar
Old 07-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #28
Polyshrink Goddess

I only watched the first challenge this week. I know the episode will be repeated at least 4 time before the next episode. I was not impressed with the birdhouse challenge. I think they should change the name of the show to "Recycle Wars" or "Show Tori what she can do with the Junk in her house." To me it seems like it would be better if they gave each crafter the item (a bag, playhouse, birdhouse, chair, etc) and have them personalize it. Then they wouldn't have to spend so much time constructing some ugly, (like some of the finished projects wouldn't end up ugly) useless thing. "Are you listening TLC!"
Old 07-11-2012, 06:21 AM   #29
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg T View Post
...To me it seems like it would be better if they gave each crafter the item (a bag, playhouse, birdhouse, chair, etc) and have them personalize it. Then they wouldn't have to spend so much time constructing some ...useless thing...
I was thinking the same thing. Don't have them construct a bird house (or whatever) from scratch but give them one that is already built and have them decorate it. To me that is what crafting is about. And the end result might be functional. Like you said, the end result is useless because they are for show and not for actual use.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:37 AM   #30
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I'm giving it one more week, and if I'm still not liking it, I'm canceling the DVR setting! LOL I agree with what a lot have said here... it's just not crafting to me. Not the way I define it.

I know not what this day holds....but I know Who holds the day!!
Old 07-11-2012, 06:38 AM   #31
Gabfest Goddess

Not sure why I'm still watching this show. I actually find so many aspects of it annoying. But it's craft related and I think I might find some inspiration.

I think I recognize the Asian girl (was her name Amy?) who was on. More by her crafts and her location (San Francisco) than the girl herself. I think she was on an episode of "That's Clever" or "Crafter's Coast to Coast". In her segment she made little felt monster dolls.

I thought it was odd that the man contestant said that he built play houses for a living made such an awful and ill-constructed toy box. I know they only had an hour but that thing was ugly and poorly built. I did not care for the robot box either. Besides being ugly it was so not functional. That thing would have tipped over the first time a kid touched it and been crushed by any toys in it being that it was made of foam board. The 'head' toy box was too tall for any kid to reach. And all that glitter! I'm not a fan of glitter in the first place but it would have made a mess in any kid's room. I did think the little monster box was sort of cute and it reflected the style of the girl who made it.

Personally, when they said that the pet mansion project could be for any type of pet I think I would have gone for a smaller pet and made it really spectacular rather than making it big and ridiculous (like the glitter castle) or minimalistic (like the cat/dog house). Glitter and pets should never be in the contact with each other. Glitter could make any pet sick if ingested and since it wasn't applied well it could definitely be a problem for the dog in that house. I liked the architechtural design of the other house and thought the dog section was very nicely decorated though she probably shouldn't have made a second floor if she wasn't going to decorate it. Better time would have been spent on incorporating more of the challenge items. I didn't like that the judges said that she didn't use any of them creatively. She did take apart the toys and remake them into pillows and decorations and she made that little stand for the bowls. I have made and decorated many of these that I give as gifts to pet lovers.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:01 AM   #32
Polyshrink Goddess

Again I only watched the first competition. I turned it off and went to bed after the judges let that hideous robot thing go thru. Last week they were criticizing about building the birdhouse out of foam core and it not being durable. But this week a glitter covered monstrosity was exceptable. I am also getting tired of Tori and her snarky remarks when she checks in on the crafters. Like when she talked to the girl that made the monster box and said "Aren't you going to do anything with the inside? The judges will look at that." But I liked that the girl did cover the inside as if to say "In your face Tori." Do I watch again next week? I guess, it's human nature to slow down and rubberneck at a car crash..
Old 07-11-2012, 09:55 AM   #33
Watercolor Wizard

Caught the show 2x and won't watch it again. Can't stand the host and just don't like the format .
Old 07-11-2012, 10:09 AM   #34
Polyshrink Goddess

I watched the show for the first - and last - time last night. I was bored within the first 5 minutes but I wanted to like it so I kept watching thinking, hoping, that it would get better. That's an hour of my life I can't get back! LOL
Old 07-20-2012, 09:56 AM   #35
Stazon Splitcoast

This show has such potential! But it needs re-tooling!
Old 07-20-2012, 01:10 PM   #36
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbies View Post
Agreed. I think this show could really be something but as it is now I really don't enjoy it. I have been watching it because I keep thinking it will grow on me or I will get some inspiration from it but after three weeks I still find it annoying.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:10 PM   #37
CBC Lady Violet

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbies View Post
I'll third that motion.

I think I will probably send a nice little note to the tv station/show whatever with my comments.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:04 PM   #38
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
I'll third that motion.

I think I will probably send a nice little note to the tv station/show whatever with my comments.
I've considered doing that in the past with another show I didn't like but then I heard that by the time that these short run shows hit the air that the whole season has already been taped, edited, etc so even if they would consider suggestions (which I'm sure they don't) it would be too late anyway.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:28 PM   #39
Insane Embellisher

I am so disappointed in this show! I was very excited when I saw previews, but it is just a train wreck. I hate the pile of junk they bring in for the contestants to "make" something from. Who would ever make a wedding piece out of denim, baby blankets and candle sticks? Really? I will say, however, I do still tune in to see what disaster will win. I'm thinking a second season isn't in the forecast!
Old 07-21-2012, 02:26 AM   #40
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehenstamper View Post
... I'm thinking a second season isn't in the forecast!
I don't know..... TLC has so many shows that I can't believe are on let alone that people watch. And they all seem to be hokey and competitive in some way so this one seems like a shoe in for renewal.

If anyone has ever watched Cupcake Wars on the Food Network you will know that Craft Wars is exactly the same in so many ways. I'm sure the same people that created the cupcake show had a hand in the craft show. I can't stand Cupcake Wars and have only watched one whole episode and part of a second before I gave up on that. But then I don't have much interest in cupcakes. I would probably have given up on Craft Wars by now too except I do have an interest in crafts and I keep hoping that it will improve.