Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-24-2012, 05:34 AM   #41
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

OK, is someone canceling my DVR settings for this show or did it get yanked? I haven't seen a new episode in weeks! I was planning to give it one more chance! LOL

I know not what this day holds....but I know Who holds the day!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-24-2012, 11:04 AM   #42
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampertammy View Post
OK, is someone canceling my DVR settings for this show or did it get yanked? I haven't seen a new episode in weeks! I was planning to give it one more chance! LOL
It's been on every Tuesday night since it has aired and my tivo says it will tape again tonight. Maybe your DVR didn't care for the program and refuses to tape it
Old 07-24-2012, 11:21 AM   #43
Matboard Maniac

Could be that it is the lowest priority on your record list. Other things might have recorded that were scheduled at the same time.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:25 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebsmama View Post
It's been on every Tuesday night since it has aired and my tivo says it will tape again tonight. Maybe your DVR didn't care for the program and refuses to tape it
Could be! I think it likes the new Dallas better!

Old 07-24-2012, 04:35 PM   #45
CBC Lady Violet

Anybody watching tonight? I find it strange that they change the timeslot seemingly at random. 10 was perfect for me because I usually don't get home on Tuesdays until after 9. With them moving it to 8, I will probably not be able to catch it very often.

One of the competitors tonight said she had her own stamp line, but I had never heard of it/her company before.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:58 PM   #46
Diversified Multicultural Postmodern Deconstructionist Philogian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
Anybody watching tonight? I find it strange that they change the timeslot seemingly at random. 10 was perfect for me because I usually don't get home on Tuesdays until after 9. With them moving it to 8, I will probably not be able to catch it very often.

One of the competitors tonight said she had her own stamp line, but I had never heard of it/her company before.
Cheryl Darrow--Ten Second Studios. She sells mostly metal and embossing tools but has recently expanded her line to include a beautiful alphabet and some sayings. She also carries a line of agent activated paints to make patina finishes on various surfaces using a product called VerDay.

Can't say i was impressed with the shows--there were two on this evening--but I enjoyed watching Cheryl do her thing. She and her daughter frequently do online videos utilizing a wide range of products.

Had I not seen this thread, I wouldn't have known about the show, so thanks to the OP!

Rainsong
Old 07-25-2012, 01:11 PM   #47
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
Anybody watching tonight?
I tivo'd it and watched it today. It was a slight improvement on the last few shows. The projects and materials were not quite as far fetched as previous episodes. But I kept thinking as they were cutting apart all those sweaters and scarves about how many people in need in cold areas of the country could be using that clothing and what a waste putting it towards craft projects that will probably get tossed after the program.

Quote:
I find it strange that they change the timeslot seemingly at random. (from)10 ...to 8...
Maybe it wasn't getting much viewership at the later hour so they moved it up to catch an earlier crowd.

Quote:
That contestant looked very familiar to me. I'm wondering if she has been on another craft show (like on HGTV) that I recognized her from.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:37 AM   #48
Stazon Splitcoast

The last episode I caught was Christmas themed. This was by far the show I have enjoyed the most because it was going in the right direction.
Here is what I wish they had done instead....
Give them IDENTICAL trees (Michaels sells trees) and then let them go & see who is more creative.
The wedding theme challenge could have been along the same lines - have a photobooth shell made & see what they come up with.
Part of the problem every week is they BUILD something and that takes time and then we get the "drama" of will they finish on time.
As stampers, we know that you can give 5 people the same stamp, paper, ribbon, etc., and you will probably get 5 different looks.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:31 AM   #49
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbies View Post
The last episode I caught was Christmas themed. This was by far the show I have enjoyed the most because it was going in the right direction.
Here is what I wish they had done instead....
Give them IDENTICAL trees (Michaels sells trees) and then let them go & see who is more creative.
The wedding theme challenge could have been along the same lines - have a photobooth shell made & see what they come up with.
Part of the problem every week is they BUILD something and that takes time and then we get the "drama" of will they finish on time.
As stampers, we know that you can give 5 people the same stamp, paper, ribbon, etc., and you will probably get 5 different looks.
I agree with this idea. Instead of having them all come up with completely different ideas, give them all the same exact materials and have them come up with thier own designs. And I would rather see a few smaller projects that the crafter made themself rather than large ones that require construction and lots of helpers.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:56 AM   #50
Polyshrink Goddess

I finally watched an entire episode the whole way thru. I liked the 2 lamps that made it to the second round. I did think the guy's lamp would have been better if he had more flattened lenses.
I guess TLC doesn't listen to what we think about having the contestants start with an object and decorate or put their craft spin on it. Instead they are going the other way. "Design and build an entire room! (in 4 hrs)" I can just see what's next.... "This weeks challenge, design and build an entire 3 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath house with a detached 2 car garage. And the craft item you have to use is tuna fish cans!"
I thought it was humorous when they said that the bamboo sticks in the zipper covered vase would have been soooo much better if "she would have just covered them with "Glitter"!"
Old 08-01-2012, 12:02 PM   #51

I'm done watching.... finally caught the Christmas episode today, and deleted the two that were still unwatched on the DVR. I think it's just ridiculous... who would really craft such tacky-looking items in real life? It ought to be called "Junk You Can Make with More Hoarded Junk." And that one judge just grates on my nerves, especially his condescending "everyone who crafts should know that you can't spray paint styrofoam!" WTH? I wouldn't have known that.

If it gets better, someone post here and let me know! LOL I deleted the scheduled recordings from my DVR.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:07 PM   #52

And P.S. Tori kept saying they were making Christmas trees OUT OF mailing/packing materials and that's NOT what they did. Honestly, I thought the Christmas cards stitched together to make the tree skirt was a great idea. But all the judges do is say "you could have done this.... it would have been better if you had done that!" The Michael's-judge told her she should have painted over the cards and glittered up the tree skirt. My thought was if you had made it using old Christmas cards, it would have had some MEANING, and so why would you want to paint over them? What would be the point of using old cards and taking the time to stitch them altogether if you're going to paint over them? If you just wanted a solid-colored tree skirt... USE FABRIC!

And the voice-overs (not sure if that's the right term I want) irritate me, too! Has anyone noticed that? They show the contestant standing there nodding like they understand/agree, but you can tell by the change in the audio that it's re-recorded or something.

OK, done venting! LOL

Old 08-02-2012, 12:44 PM   #53
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
... who would really craft such tacky-looking items in real life? It ought to be called "Junk You Can Make with More Hoarded Junk." ...
I agree that most of the final projects haven't been spectacular but they are forced to use odd, non-crafting items and given such a short period of time to make the items that it's hard to make them really great.

Quote:
And that one judge just grates on my nerves, especially his condescending {quote about styrofoam}
I don't like the male judge or the younger female judge. They just act so superior like they are the most wonderous crafters in the world and no one could possibly live up to their standards. I'd like to see them compete in one of these stupid challenges. The Michael's lady seems to be nice and gives constructive criticism and I bet she COULD make something nice.

Quote:
{male judge says} "everyone who crafts should know that you can't spray paint styrofoam!" WTH? I wouldn't have known that.
Actually I did know that but that's only from personal experience. Quite a long time ago I was trying to make a craft project with styrofoam and used spray paint and the whole thing disolved before my eyes. But if you don't use styrofoam for crafting, it wouldn't be common knowledge. FYI... there is a special spray paint made to be used on styrofoam that doesn't melt it. It's sold in the floral department alongside the styrofoam items.

Quote:
If it gets better, someone post here and let me know!
Doesn't look like there is going to be a chance for it to improve. I saw on my tivo schedule that there is only one episode left this season.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #54
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
...But all the judges do is say "you could have done this.... it would have been better if you had done that!"
I don't like when Tori visits each contestant as they are working then tells them, "you should have done it this way", or "you shouldn't have used this product". Kind of too late at that point. And if they keep berating the contestants about using certain products that they don't want them to use, then don't have them available to use.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:55 PM   #55
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg T View Post
... I liked the 2 lamps that made it to the second round. I did think the guy's lamp would have been better if he had more flattened lenses.
I liked the concept of the lamp the lady who was voted off made. I think if she had finished it that she would have stayed. I didn't care for the guy's lamp. It was too hip for my taste. I thought the other lamp looked like a fire hazard with the twine wrapped around the base so close to the bulb.

Quote:
...{poster's humorous idea} "This weeks challenge, design and build an entire 3 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath house with a detached 2 car garage. And the craft item you have to use is tuna fish cans!"
The master craft projects really are almost that silly. It should either be a building contest or a crafting contest but not both.

Quote:
I thought it was humorous when they said that the bamboo sticks in the zipper covered vase would have been soooo much better if "she would have just covered them with "Glitter"!"
I'm not a fan of glitter myself but I do see their point on that comment. Everything else in her room was eclectic and colorful and the bamboo was very bland colored and naturalistic next too it. It really did stand out as not belonging. I don't think glittering was the solution though. She should have made more of her zipper roses and put them on stems of some sort.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #56
Stazon Splitcoast

I saw the playhouse challenge and the bag challenge... and I kept thinking it looks like kids work because it is so rushed. I think craft wars doesn't necessarily mean a ridiculous time challenge. I think the judges should have to show what they have created with the supplies in the allotted time when the judging starts.

ETA - I also think if this is one big ad for Michael's it is one big mistake. Who wants stuff that looks like junk. The whole point to crafting for me is to make something unique and appropriate and maybe even high end looking that didn't cost the earth.

Last edited by RiverIsis; 08-08-2012 at 05:38 PM..
Old 08-09-2012, 03:14 AM   #57
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverIsis View Post
...a ridiculous time challenge...
I agree with the time challenge. As I've stated before, I would rather have one crafter work alone for twice the amount of time to make something nice and something that they actually created themselves rather than the shorter time period with helpers.

Quote:
... I think the judges should have to show what they have created with the supplies in the allotted time when the judging starts...
Agreed! I hate when the judges tell about all the things that the contestants went wrong on and how messy things are. Prove that you could do better judges! Get up there and see what you could make in a short amount of time with the odd assortment of things that they give you and see what you would come up with.

Quote:
...I also think if this is one big ad for Michael's it is one big mistake. Who wants stuff that looks like junk...
Even though the Michaels lady is a judge and they have the Michaels sign up and say the store's name many times, I really don't see how they are promoting the store much with these contests. Since the contestants start with 'stuff' and have to add craft materials, the items Michaels sells are not the main component of the crafts. And even when the craft items from the "wall" are being chosen, the cameramen don't really focus on them so you don't see too much of what they were using. And they show fabric on the Michaels wall. I've been to a lot of different Michaels stores and I've never seen fabric in any of them so that would be misleading to a viewer who might consider visiting one of their stores. If they want this to be more about Michaels they should have the contestants start with a craft item (like beads or rubber stamps) and make something using the supplies.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:30 AM   #58
Polyshrink Goddess

Now that the show is on at 8:00, I end up watching it because nothing else is on. Still don't care for the judges, Tori, the challenges, etc. I don't know why I watch. This past weeks challenge with the audio stuff, I thought was a little interesting. I liked the necklace that the one girl made with the chains and ribbons and the one ear phone. But of course the judges thought she didn't use enough of the "challenge material". Oh well.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:32 AM   #59
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh I don't disagree. But Michael's is the main named sponsor.

This show had so much potential.

And I know people are going to hate me, but I absolutely hated the Modge Podge bus. I think Modge Podge can look good but it needs to be more than just slapping it on and hoping for the best. TBH I thought the bus would last about ten minutes with a group of kids and the wood built house was more durable and downright cute, though it lacked the activity centers internally.

Everyone has hit on the crux of the problem with this show. It needs to be an "altering" show rather than a "create from scratch" show. Take the playhouse for example. If both contestants had been given four walls and a roof they could have altered it in anyway they wanted with the materials available.

The time thing actually needs to be much longer more like design challenge shows having days to complete a room/outfit. Many crafts take a large amount of time. If I were Michaels sponsoring this show for that amount of time coverage I would have wanted more challenges that highlighted my stores' inventory no matter how long it would take.

I know that there are products from outside of Michaels in the show but just google the show to get up the episodes (no full episodes) and each one has a Michael's ad attached.

This show concept could work in a better format. I'm thinking more Design Star/Project Runway than Cupcake wars (where lets be honest everyone starts out with the same basics of being able to cook a cupcake).
Old 08-09-2012, 12:24 PM   #60
Gabfest Goddess

Just watched the episode that aired on Tuesday night. I acutally thought the pop challenge was ok this week. Taking apart non-functional/dated/discarded electronics and making something else out of them is something I have actually done myself. And I liked that the project to make jewelry was actaully do-able in an hour. Although none of the jewlery was my style I did think that the guy's necklace was a good use of the materials and wearable by the right person.

I didn't much care for the master challenge but then I don't like heavy metal or rock and roll. I think the contestants that went on to that round were well suited to that challenge. The lady who was eliminated in the first round really didn't seem to be the type of person who would have embraced a heavy metal theme so it's probably best she didn't move on.

I think the guy's project would have been better if he had cut a hole in the sides to see his instruments and if the instruments were a different color than gold so they actually showed up. The lady's snake thing was very creative but she ruined it with the glitter on the floor mat.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:16 AM   #61
Stazon Splitcoast

I finally watched 2 episodes On Demand.

I'm not crazy about the show and will only watch it again if nothing else is on. I would rather see projects one could really use. I agree with the post above that said it's making junk out of more junk. Judges appear to be pretty harsh an not all that likeable. I don't mind Tori.

IMO this is a poor imitation of that fabulous Cupcake Wars!
Old 08-17-2012, 07:53 AM   #62
Stazon Splitcoast

Finally watched the Metal challenge and the Halloween Challenge. Both were better than the previous episodes.

I didn't understand the comments about the Halloween decoration being Kitsch. Isn't Halloween Kitsch by definition?!?! Liked both final projects and the judging comments were relavent.

I liked the Heavy metal challenges and agreed with who went home. Seriously, with so many small parts I was disappointed that all their jewelry was so clunky and big - but I guess they are going for impact.

Liked the snake but girl didn't know when to stop. Thought it was awesome without all the extras. The denim was cool. The broken guitar was great. The rest of the "decoration" was very poorly thought out and just looked like a craft room threw up on it.

I liked the Grammy and I agree that it needed bigger holes and the instruments to maybe be a different tone - either darker or lighter than the outside color. I did like the uniformity of the color. Could have been cool if the instruments had been colorful.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:47 AM   #63
Gabfest Goddess

The Halloween episode was ok. I thought the guy's pillow was so odd. A furry tombstone? It's no doubt he was going home first. Both Halloween projects seemed to be well thought out and even though I didn't care for the garbage bags on the monster project, overall I could see this in someone's yard. I agree that the sinking ship thing was scary looking but not necessarily Halloween.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:08 PM   #64
Stazon Splitcoast

SOAPBOX ALERT -

Were their sewing skills that bad or did they give them machines unable to sew fur on what was basically a sewing challenge? I thought it was too ambitious to put together a pillow with those materials without a machine, but it almost seems premeditated that the needle wouldn't sew the fur (of course it would have helped if they had seemed the fur instead of trying to sew it from the top).