Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 10:31 AM   #1
Matboard Maniac

Default Breaking Amish??

In their latest bid for explotation ... I mean reality TV ... TLC has launced Breaking Amish. I'll admit it - I watched last night and will probably continue to watch. My heart breaks for these children.

I'm curious if any one else watched.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #2
Stampin' Fool

I didn't watch this show, but I've seen other shows about young people leaving the Amish. I do feel bad for them when they are shunned. There are a lot of Amish where we live.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:25 AM   #3
Inking Addict

I have to admit I did watch this one, and I've watched other shows similar to this. I guess it's because I am curious about their lives as Amish. I don't live near any. It must be so hard for them leaving their families and going out into the world with limited knowledge of the outside and with only an 8th grade education. I hope this show does not exploit these young people.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:33 AM   #4
Stampin' Fool

As I said, there are a LOTof Amish where I live. The ones that live around here are pretty connected to the "outside" world, especially the young people. Many of them have cell phones, smart phones, and Facebook. Many late nights with buggies going by our house with loud music blaring from the buggy. Most of their houses have a "phone booth" outside and they use electricity in their businesses. Some have tractors, they just have to take the rubber off the wheels for some reason which I don't understand. There is a hitching post outside the local bar and I have seen buggies there before. There are definitely some interesting aspects of their culture, but they really do not live as "primitive" a lifestyle as a lot of people think. At least not around here, may be different in other areas as I know it has a lot to do with their Bishop and some are more permissive than others.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:01 AM   #5
Polyshrink Goddess

My DH works in Middlefield, OH, which is apparently the 4th largest Amish community in the world (according to the sign, anyway) and there definitely seems to be varying degrees of restrictions placed on them. Our best friend's dad was raised Amish (in PA) but decided to leave before he took some kind of vow, in his particular group he was not shunned - our friend knew his Amish grandparents (has a quilt they made for him that is GORGEOUS). His dad said if he had taken his vows and then left he would have been shunned. Like amycrossley said, it varies between groups. Seems to be pretty permissive around here - especially before they take those vows - I remember going into a bar and seeing 4 Amish girls go into the restroom and 4 girls that looked more like prostitutes came out! But the groups I've seen discussed on TV seem much more strict - I wonder how much is just for TV?

When we first moved to OH we rented a house from an Amish family (they bought the farm, but wouldn't live in the house so they rented it out and built their house on another part of the property) and they were the BEST landlords EVER. Seriously, the day we told them about a problem they would take steps to fix it. My DH got a new 4-wheeler with a plow and loved playing with it so much he would plow their driveway too and since he wouldn't take money they paid him in baked goods - Oh. My. Gosh. SO GOOD. The only time in my life I was ever happy to see snow! Why did we move again??
Old 09-11-2012, 08:29 AM   #6
Compulsive Stamper

There are varying degrees of amish-ness. Just like there are small differences between christian church denominations.
There is a time in a young amish person's life called Rumspringa when they are permitted to "explore the usually forbidden modern world before deciding whether they will forever commit themselves to the Amish way of life" (abcNews). I've watched documentaries on this, and most decide to go back to their amish roots. It would be a hard choice. Lots of temptations...
Old 09-11-2012, 08:36 AM   #7
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Campbell View Post
There are varying degrees of amish-ness. Just like there are small differences between christian church denominations.
There is a time in a young amish person's life called Rumspringa when they are permitted to "explore the usually forbidden modern world before deciding whether they will forever commit themselves to the Amish way of life" (abcNews). I've watched documentaries on this, and most decide to go back to their amish roots. It would be a hard choice. Lots of temptations...
That's what it's called! I couldn't remember... They can get pretty crazy during that time, that much I was sure about. LOL.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:17 PM   #8
Stazon Splitcoast

I watched the first show. It must be terrifying to risk everything and not be able to return home.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:56 AM   #9
Insane Embellisher

I have a guy that comes into my work, he took the Mennonite religion as a child with his mother and he co-owners a farm with an Amish family here in NY. He also drives the Amish all over the country to auctions etc.

He has stayed with the Amish community for a while of one of the guys on the show in Lancaster, PA.

He was disgusted that this show was even being aired as the Amish faith states that there can be no documented images of the Amish, their bodies can not be marked with anything that can not come off and they can not show off their bodies.

The boy the other night got a huge tattoo that he knew would automatically get him shunned.

It is still surprising that Abe's mother is willing to have her face shown on camera, knowing that it is forbidden.

One thing, atleast TLC seems to be showing some respect when they are filling around the elders and other Amish. They are not showing their faces and are mindful when someone asks them to leave.

I'm still not sure about the show yet, time will tell...
Life's A Beach Swap Red, White & Blue Swap Celebrate Summer Swap
Fingerlakes Get Together It's All Good Duck Tape Challenge Swap
Caffeinated Swap Favorite "Feel Good" Movie Card & Tags
Camping In The Forest Swap Summer WS/PB Swap
Old 10-01-2012, 12:06 AM   #10
Inking Addict

Can anyone who knows the Amish tell me why Amish women have their teeth pulled at a young age? In tonight's show Rebecca was at the dentist because her dentures hurt so much and she told the dentist how they yanked her teeth out when she was 19. She said it is done to young women by someone who is not even a dentist. I was amazed that something like that would go on in today's world. What does that have to do with their religion? It sounded like sheer torture.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:58 AM   #11
SCS Swap Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candlequeen View Post
Can anyone who knows the Amish tell me why Amish women have their teeth pulled at a young age? In tonight's show Rebecca was at the dentist because her dentures hurt so much and she told the dentist how they yanked her teeth out when she was 19. She said it is done to young women by someone who is not even a dentist. I was amazed that something like that would go on in today's world. What does that have to do with their religion? It sounded like sheer torture.
I don't think they all do that. The other girls on the show were making fun of her for not having any teeth in the episode that I saw.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:12 PM   #12
Polyshrink Goddess

I got the impression from Rebecca that it was easier that way. They didn't have to worry about cleaning them or going to the dentist all the time. I could be wrong on that.

Trish
Old 10-02-2012, 02:01 PM   #13
Crimping Master

The show makes me uncomfortable....I can't pinpoint it exactly, but it doesn't seem right, so I don't want to watch.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:31 PM   #14
Die Cut Diva

I was interested in watch this program until I found out all was not as it seems with the group protrayed.

The link is what I read but if you google breaking Amish you can find others.

Breaking Amish: Is TLC show fake? | Mail Online
Old 10-05-2012, 12:57 AM   #15
Inking Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukie View Post
I was interested in watch this program until I found out all was not as it seems with the group protrayed.

The link is what I read but if you google breaking Amish you can find others.

Breaking Amish: Is TLC show fake? | Mail Online
Wow, is all I can say. Guess I will be tuning out of this show.