Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Try a New Technique (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/try-new-technique-f44/)
-   -   TLC206 Recessed Window (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/try-new-technique-f44/tlc206-recessed-window-t416393.html)

Lynn in St. Louis 02-02-2009 02:07 AM

TLC206 Recessed Window

First I'd like to thank Fern (dfriley) for serving as guest hostess for the TLC last week while I was away. She did a great job. THANKS FERN!

So on with today's challenge.

What do we do with great works of art? We frame it, of course. That's what we will be doing with today's TLC...framing our works of art.

I saw THIS CARD in the gallery and thought that everyone should frame their art this way. You can find the template as well as directions for this recessed window HERE. THANKS Judy for a great idea!

For my card sample, I modified my card size to a 5.25 X 5.25 square and expanded the window and increased out outer square from 1/8" to 1/4". You can increase the depth size of your frame, just keep in mind that the deeper your frame, the more difficult it would be to mail. While we are discussing mailing these cards, to protect the construction of these cards through the mailing process, extra padding, such as tissue paper should be arranged around the frame on the inside of the card. Better yet, save these creations for hand delivery.

What you will need for this project:

Patterned Paper (or stamp your own)
Scoring tool
Ruler
Craft knife
and the obvious - stamps and adhesive

So now that you have the directions and supplies, let's get framing!

You may see my sample HERE.

To view all of the creations using today's technique, click HERE.

Don't forget to add TLC206 (no spaces) to your keywords when you upload your project.

Hint for next week: You're such a cut up!

angelahath 02-02-2009 02:18 AM

This looks like fun! Your sample is just lovely.

Here's my first attempt -- I think I'll try for another later. I'm never first at anything!

First Frame

Thanks for a great challenge -- and it isn't as tricky as it looks!

PDG 02-02-2009 02:23 AM

Beautiful! may have to try this for a wedding card i need to make - thanks!

Nessie 02-02-2009 02:29 AM

Your card is beautiful Lynn, but this is the first time I do not understand the instructions :-(
Are you drawing the "window" directly on to the front of the card, including the outer "frame", than yiou have to cut it from corner to corner, but what does it mean to fold frames up and down? Sorry, I am just not getting it...

Mmmmh, I tried it a bit all the way round... Is it right, when you have cut and folded everything, that you have an X-cut in your frame and that you have to glue something in top of this triangels from both sides Iinside and outside? I am really too stupid...

Vicky Gould 02-02-2009 02:37 AM

Thanks for an early post, Lynn - and what a great challenge! Gotta go play!

Lynn in St. Louis 02-02-2009 02:40 AM

I drew it lightly in pencil on the back side of the front of my card (did that make sense???) After I made my cuts, I erased the pencil marks

You only cut an X - don't cut around the outside of the X. On the pattern, there are two boxes and you score along those lines. One score you fold up and the other down to create the recessed window. Did that help explain it at all? (boy sometimes it's hard to translate into word what pictures would say best - perhaps I should have included pictures.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nessie (Post 12965782)
Your card is beautiful Lynn, but this is the first time I do not understand the instructions :-(
Are you drawing the "window" directly on to the front of the card, including the outer "frame", than yiou have to cut it from corner to corner, but what does it mean to fold frames up and down? Sorry, I am just not getting it...

Nessie 02-02-2009 02:42 AM

Thanks Lynn, I tried that, but now I have a card with a raised frame, but in my "window" are 4 triangles torn apart, is that right?

Lynn in St. Louis 02-02-2009 02:50 AM

You don't remove the triangles, you push them into place and then put your piece that you decorate (in my case the center hearts) inside the recessed window. If you have a raised frame, try reversing the way you have your folds to the opposite of how you have them now to make it recessed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nessie (Post 12965802)
Thanks Lynn, I tried that, but now I have a card with a raised frame, but in my "window" are 4 triangles torn apart, is that right?

bensarmom 02-02-2009 02:54 AM

Ooh, I've never done this before, thanks Lynn!

GardenDiva 02-02-2009 03:01 AM

Morning Lynn,,,,,,,,,well guess that is why this is called a Challenge.....HA HA
This is a bit confusing,,,I'm with Nessie............haven't tried this yet....certainly is a new adventure for me. Your sample is fantastic.
Off to TRY and play.....
Tina

okstamper 02-02-2009 03:04 AM

WOW! Looks interesting, thanks...I cant wait to play.

tdodd00 02-02-2009 03:33 AM

This looks like fun, but I am such a "visual" person when it comes to directions... and I am just not getting it. I think I'll just watch and see the lovely things everyone else comes up with!

NANCYRUTH 02-02-2009 03:45 AM

ohhhh wish i COULD PLAY but gotta keep on with my BUSINESS skills! have fun girls and I will be back to comment!

catdidit 02-02-2009 03:46 AM

Beautiful card Lynn and Judy! Im like some of the others, just not getting it, lol! I be a 'visual' person too. I dont even know how to ask a question...rofl

PDG 02-02-2009 03:49 AM

i was trying to tell from your sample, but couldn't see -

when you adhere it to the background paper, do you 'raise' the outer (surrounding) frame with foam dots? or just adhere it so it 'slopes' to the background paper?

GardenDiva 02-02-2009 03:50 AM

Ok I've figured it out....I think........I'll post a couple of pics to make it easier.
At least this is what I came up with.

lacyquilter 02-02-2009 03:56 AM

This looks like fun. I think I 'get' it. Will have to see what I can do. Thanks, Lynn.

artystamper 02-02-2009 04:06 AM

what a great idea - hope to be able to work on one after work - will keep reading the comments to see if people figure out the difficulties!!!

Mrs Nickel 02-02-2009 04:11 AM

GREAT IDEA! I have tons to do today but will try to sneak in some creative time to explore this one! THANKS SO MUCH! You and SCS alway keep my creative juices flowing!

Biggan 02-02-2009 04:16 AM

Im free from work today so this challenge was perfect for me! Thanks!
Here it is! TFL!

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...&ppuser=125756

Birgit/Biggan

GardenDiva 02-02-2009 04:20 AM

I've uploaded step by step pics for anyone that needs some help with this.
Go to my gallery....GardenDiva.....it's easier to see each step there. SCS wouldn't let me upload all 5 pics at the same time...kept dumping me out...so they are not all together in the main gallery.
Now to go and make a card .... and see how well I did with figuring this out.
Thanks Lynn...........making my brain work way too hard this morning !! HA

catdidit 02-02-2009 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GardenDiva (Post 12966270)
Go to my gallery....GardenDiva.....it's easier to see each step there. SCS wouldn't let me upload all 5 pics at the same time...kept dumping me out...so they are not all together in the main gallery.

Oooo this helped me alot! Thanks sooo much! *runs off to play*

tdodd00 02-02-2009 04:37 AM

GREAT pictures, GardenDiva...I think I get it now (told you I was a visual person). My only question is, are you originally "drawing" this square or just "scoring"? That part still has me a little confused. Thanks so much for the help!

DawnL 02-02-2009 04:44 AM

cool! thanks Lynn! and Judy too!!

markie's mom 02-02-2009 04:45 AM

GREAT Challenge....I saw where someone posted photos....I wish I had seen those! LOL! I struggled with this....

Here's my first and FINAL recessed window card!

Lynn in St. Louis 02-02-2009 04:51 AM

I drew my lines and then scored, mainly because it's a little hard for me to see score lines only. The pencil marks I made just helped me make sure I had my lines right in the scoring process.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdodd00 (Post 12966441)
GREAT pictures, GardenDiva...I think I get it now (told you I was a visual person). My only question is, are you originally "drawing" this square or just "scoring"? That part still has me a little confused. Thanks so much for the help!

ImAYoungin' 02-02-2009 04:53 AM

ok I didn't get it until GardenDiva took the pics! thanks so much! I can't wait to play! I am going to make DBF his V-Day card! :)

Lynn in St. Louis 02-02-2009 04:55 AM

Thanks GardenDiva for your assistance this morning.

imastampin 02-02-2009 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GardenDiva (Post 12966270)

Oh thank you so much! I just didn't get it, but your photos make it perfectly clear! Thanks so much!!!!!!

Cook22 02-02-2009 05:06 AM

I like frames - think I'll give this a go before the housework. Just so as I can get a daylight photo, of course :D.

Cici510 02-02-2009 05:21 AM

What a cool technique Lynn! Glad to have you back! :D I'm off to go try it out!

Lynn in St. Louis 02-02-2009 05:35 AM

awww...thanks Christi...glad to be back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cici510 (Post 12966829)
What a cool technique Lynn! Glad to have you back! :D I'm off to go try it out!

Eileen LeFevre 02-02-2009 05:52 AM

Lynn - Fun challenge! I have a quick question - can we use a die-cut frame for this project or do the cards have to be specifically made with a recessed frame? Thanks - Eileen

Toy 02-02-2009 05:55 AM

Thanks Lynn... this was fun to make!

Here is my:

~~ A Laugh... ~~

TFL!~

stamp300 02-02-2009 05:57 AM

This will be a big challenge for me. I took today off from work, so maybe I'll try it today after I go to Archievers.

cullenwr 02-02-2009 06:03 AM

After a couple of goofs in the cutting, I finally came up with this RECESSED WINDOW CARD.

stampkinz 02-02-2009 06:06 AM

SCS is running slow as molasses this morning so once I look at Gardendiva's instructions I will be able to try this out!

GardenDiva 02-02-2009 06:12 AM

Holy Moly Batman..............what a morning !!! HA HA
Lynn,,,here's my card. I may have to go take a nap now to recover...hee hee
Loved it..........keep them coming. Thanks
Tina
http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...&ppuser=116414

Lynn in St. Louis 02-02-2009 06:14 AM

Well, the challenge is to use the template, but we do these challenges for fun, so whatever method you choose to jump start your creativity is ok by me. BTW...I'm not sure what a die-cut frame is...is it recessed?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eileen LeFevre (Post 12967100)
Lynn - Fun challenge! I have a quick question - can we use a die-cut frame for this project or do the cards have to be specifically made with a recessed frame? Thanks - Eileen

Shadow's Mom 02-02-2009 06:19 AM

Welcome back, Lynn! Thanks for this wonderful technique and easy to follow directions.

Here's mine: http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...&ppuser=149855