Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-24-2010, 01:54 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Xyron- is it worth it?

I have been looking at xyron, and it was on sale at scrapbook steals this week. I am trying to decide if it would be worth the $$. I sometimes use smaller pieces of paper or cutouts on cards, I have a Cricut, so I could use it when I cut out letters, but I am not sure if it would be better, worse or the same as using glue to attach the paper.
Also, how long do the rolls of adhesive last, and are the refills pricey?
Thoughts??
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2010, 02:25 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

Default I have two and don't use either one

although I did when I first got the first one. The refill cartridges are expensive to me even with a coupon and that is the main reason they are not in use. But, I am on a fixed budget and buy just what I really need now instead of everything I want.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2010, 02:26 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

I have all of the xyrons - the X, the cheetah, two of the large machines - and I love them! If you are asking about the X - I find it useful when punching out small items. I run the strip of paper through the machine and then punch - voila! Instant sticker. It is especially helpful if you have the Sizzix alphabet dies! Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2010, 04:16 PM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

I have them all too. I really like them for some things. It's alway's nice to have options. You can laminate or make things into magnets as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2010, 05:40 PM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

I LOVE my Xyrons. I have the X and the next size up. It is perfect for little cut outs. But, I also love to run my cut through with the top side down and glitter it or use flocking. A lot easier than glue and looks really even and dries instantly!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2010, 05:59 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

It is great for pieces of paper cut in irregular shapes and you need to get the adhesive on all the edges. It is a good investment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2010, 06:10 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by poguemomView Post
I LOVE my Xyrons. I have the X and the next size up. It is perfect for little cut outs. But, I also love to run my cut through with the top side down and glitter it or use flocking. A lot easier than glue and looks really even and dries instantly!
Hm... didn't even thing about glitter (one of the reasons I haven't used glitter is because I have no idea how to adhere it.
I think I am going to get the Xyron- I just tried making a card with a circle cutout and couldn't get the thing to stick down... For that, it would be worth it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2010, 06:17 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

I use the X for ribbon I put on cards. One of my "go to" tools
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2010, 06:40 AM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

I made my Halloween cards with my X. Put a spider die cut thru and covered it with black flower soft. They looked great. (No pics yet, I don't have my camera for a few days....)

I use the 9 inch for full sheets of paper for attaching to stuff or for die cutting!

I always buy the refills with 50% off coupons.

I got the x with five refills from hsn.com... was a good deal!

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2010, 05:10 PM   #10  
Inking Addict

I have the 510, it takes 5" rolls. I love it. I do agree the refills are pricey - but shopping around, coupons and sales help a lot. It also is not something I use for everything I need to glue. When I do use it, it is perfect for what I need it for, flocking, glitter, detailed panels I cut with my E, and some die cuts. It depends on the paper, the design, and whether I am in a rush for the card. Cleanup for the adhesive is easy, use a gum rubber eraser - it even works on other glues sometimes. Bonus!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2010, 07:32 PM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

I love mine and only sorry I didn't buy it sooner. When I am going to attach a small intricate die cut to a card , first I run a small piece of card stock through the Xyron. Peal off the front plastic layer and then use a Cuttlebug or Nestie die to cut out the shape . Peal off the backing paper and just put it on the card.
I bought it with a coupon and it is well worth the money .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2010, 08:10 PM   #12  
Kookie Creator

I love mine ! It comes in handy when you need something to stick that is too small to use your tape runner on-
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2010, 07:35 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry to be the opposing voice here. I have the X and I don't use it much. I bought it quite a while ago to use with my small Sizzix Sizzlets letters in my scrapbooks. I still do occasionally, but I've always had trouble with the adhesive not sticking well. If I didn't have sheet protectors over my scrapbooking pages, they wouldn't stay on long. I would never use it for a card. That, plus the cost of the refills don't seem worth it to me. Not trying to offend. Just sayin'...:???:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2010, 08:15 AM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by minstrelView Post
Sorry to be the opposing voice here. I have the X and I don't use it much. I bought it quite a while ago to use with my small Sizzix Sizzlets letters in my scrapbooks. I still do occasionally, but I've always had trouble with the adhesive not sticking well. If I didn't have sheet protectors over my scrapbooking pages, they wouldn't stay on long. I would never use it for a card. That, plus the cost of the refills don't seem worth it to me. Not trying to offend. Just sayin'...:???:
I have not had a problem with things not sticking to my projects. However, after I bought my Xyron I watched a video that Beate made on how to use it. She said after the image with the adhesive attached comes out of the machine we need to take a stylus and go around the entire perimeter of the image to burnish the adhesive before removing the front plastic sheet. This will insure that it will stick. I do that and have had no problems .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2010, 10:08 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had them all; I gave the 900 to my sister b/c I didn't use it. But I use the rest all the time - love them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2010, 01:26 PM   #16  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,908 Likes on 2,180 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
I have not had a problem with things not sticking to my projects. However, after I bought my Xyron I watched a video that Beate made on how to use it. She said after the image with the adhesive attached comes out of the machine we need to take a stylus and go around the entire perimeter of the image to burnish the adhesive before removing the front plastic sheet. This will insure that it will stick. I do that and have had no problems .
Excellent point. Thanks! I may buy the X and it's nice to know ahead of time what to expect. I was going to get the 5" but everyone I've talked to say they use the X the most. It would be nice to have on those small letters. I suppose they could be used on small embellisments too?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2010, 01:28 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by minstrelView Post
I had this problem with the adhesive at first too. I take my bone folder and burnish the adhesive on to the die cut before removing the backing sheet. I also run a stylus around the edges so that it doesn't get any little glue strings (or glue boogers as I call them). I love it for small or intricate cuts. Its also great for putting adhesive on velum. You can cover the entire piece so that the adhesive doesn't show. Works great on see-through ribbons too - doesn't show the adhesive. No more strategically placed embellishements to hide the glue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2010, 12:07 PM   #18  
Inking Addict

I burnish mine too, and have not had any problems with stickiness. I use handmade paper quite a bit and sometimes this is the only way to get a proper "stick" and not soften the paper too much. I haven't found ONE adhesive that will do everything I want it to do, but - there are a wide variety of products that work great for whatever you need it to do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2010, 12:32 PM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

I should have added I also use my bone folder and burnish the back before I remove the paper backing to attach the motif to my card
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2010, 08:46 PM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the X, 2.5, 5, and 9 inch ones. I use them all but mostly the 9 inch. What I like is when I cut and score two card bases out of an 8.5X11 sheet of cs I can fold them and run them through next to each other. I use one and save the other for a next card. I don't have much waste and ALWAYS, ALWAYS buy them with the 50% coupon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2010, 03:20 AM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

I love my xyron tools too! I only use them for small things, especially letters, when I use coupons at M's it makes the price more reasonable. If I used it for everything it would get pricey.

I look at it like desert, I don't enjoy it every day but when I feel the need it's wonderful!

K
Reply With Quote Likes