Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-29-2009, 03:39 PM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xyron sticker makers

i currently have the xyron 150 sticker maker and have been wanting the one that has a sticker sheet that is 5" wide. i finally found one for $20. i am a very cheap/thrifty scrapper, and thought to myself "do i really need sticky stuff on the entire back side of any project i am working on?" i normally use a glue/tape runner or the white photo mounting squares (cut in 1/2 so i get more bang for my buck). Sice i have never used one of the larger xyrons or know anyone who has used it, i dont know if it worth it or not. heck for $20 i could get another set of nesties. any opinions would be greatly apprectiated.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2009, 03:42 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

I think you just convinced yourself! I have the smaller one also and it does everything I want it to. Well - except the laundry, dishes, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2009, 03:54 PM   #3  
Compulsive Stamper

i thought that when i got married and had kids that i would have some help with the laundry and dishes. boy was i dreaming. lol. although my oldest forbids me from washing his NAVY uniforms. he says he know how to do it and do it correctly. far be it from me to ruin his clothing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2009, 04:07 PM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

I'm not much help as all I have is the Xyron 150, which I LOVE! I really thought I needed one of the larger ones til I gave it a whole lot of thought. Have you priced the refills? They're really expensive. I decided, like you, that it would be too expensive and I wouldn't need all that adhesive. So, thanks to these wonderful SCS members, I was enabled and for Christmas, received the Tape Depot ATG gun. Click on the name to see it. Its only $25. and the tape is really cheap compared to all the other tape runner refills. I love using it and the tape is great. It sticks tight! I tried to pull 2 pieces of copy paper apart after it sat about a week. No way, the paper tore but the tape didn't budge. Also, I had glued down a piece of ribbon to that paper and it wouldn't pull off. Don't let the size of the gun intimidate you. Its big but the size doesn't even come into play when using it, as I thought it would. I'm left-handed and it is easy to use. There are several threads here about it. Until I read all I could about the other products, I would not opt for the larger Xyrons. HTH!
May God bless, Sandi
P.S. I've washed and ironed many, many sets of Navy Whites in my day! One chore I'll never miss!!!

Last edited by SouthernStorm; 01-29-2009 at 04:09 PM.. Reason: addin' PS
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2009, 04:39 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

I'm the wrong person to ask. I have the little X one, the 250 (which I wish was the 500) and the 900. I do use my X and 900 a lot. I like to make altered things, and the 900 is perfect for running a sheet of patterned paper through, and then apply the patterned paper to a sheet of chipboard, etc. But if you don't do those types of things, you wouldn't need a bigger Xyron for your cards. You already have the X for your embellies. I use my ATG on my cards. I think it'd be a huge waste of adhesive to use the Xyron on cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2009, 05:37 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

I also have the little X the 510 an the 900. I use the 510 the most and I love them all. I only have the 900 because I got it for a steal on ebay. I really use mine for adhering letters because I find that is the easiest way to get them to stick forever.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2009, 05:51 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

I have the little "X" and the 510. I've used the little one quite a bit, but I have yet to use the 510. Why? Because the refills are so pricey and my craft budget is so small!

The only reason I got the machine in the first place is that I found it still in the original packaging at Goodwill for $5. (I've found 3 of them at my Goodwill in a matter of 3 years. What's the deal with that?) Would I have bought it for even $20? Probably not.

If I ever get around to altering all the Altoids tins I have collected, I'm sure I'll use it. (That's one of the biggest reasons I picked it up in the first place.)

Having said about the pricey refills, I do try to keep ahead of those by buying when Michaels has them at 40% off, which they do on a regular basis. That I can handle a little quicker.

HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2009, 06:38 PM   #8  
CBC Lady Violet

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

I have the 510 & love it, but would like to get the X. I bought the 510 'cause I had a scrapbook project to do with pieces that I knew would be larger than would fit in the x. I was so glad - it made the project go so much faster! I also find it quite useful when I do altered items.
That said, if you are mostly making cards, I wouldn't use the xyron as your adhesive - too expensive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2009, 06:44 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

i have the 150 and the 5 one. i hardly even use the bigger one, after using it and finishing right away. and 10 for refills im like wow. i still use it but not as much. I use the 150 for practically every card.
love that one for sure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2009, 07:33 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have too many Xyron LOL. I love my 150X. I have the 500 - the old style one that is 5 inches and I do NOT like it. It doesn't turn easily and thin patterned paper gets crinkled. I have the old 850 back from the days I was girls scout leader for 2 troops..never use the 500 or 850. the 500 because of what I just said and the 850 because it was so expensive to buy the refiills. they don't make the 850 anymore they have the 900.

Recently, I used a coupon and bought the new 5inch sticker maker. I don't use it often but there are times when I want something to stay STUCK!!! with no chance of slippage etc. I made some demos for Sound Easy voice recorder for audio on scrapbook pages to take to CHA this week and I used the 5inch sticker maker.Loved it. easy and simple to use. I use a coupon for refills. But it isn't my main adhesive source.

HTH
Andrea
Reply With Quote Likes