Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Unread 12-01-2013, 02:14 PM   #201
Compulsive Stamper

This is a worthwhile thread, THANKS for weighing in, everyone!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Unread 03-29-2014, 09:28 AM   #202
Kookie Creator

Interesting comparison charts and info here:
guide to choosing white gel pens and markers

Not affiliated.
Unread 03-29-2014, 11:51 AM   #203
Hardware Hotshot

What an amazing guide, TFS!
Unread 06-09-2014, 01:26 PM   #204
Rubber Obsessor

Just found the perfect white pen, Faber Castel Pitt artist pen. Gina K. used it in her last card video. It works brilliantly!
Glass Daisy, muscrat and poppydarling like this post.
Unread 08-03-2014, 01:56 PM   #205
Cardstock Collector

I use white gel pens to add details to my drawings and finding a good one is tricky. I now use a Sakura jelly pen, so far its covered markers, pencil and paint in varying colours.
CherylQuilts likes this post.
Unread 08-10-2014, 06:22 PM   #206
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillyb5 View Post
Just found the perfect white pen, Faber Castel Pitt artist pen. Gina K. used it in her last card video. It works brilliantly!
Love love Gina K so I'm going to have to check out the Faber Castel pens. Thanks for reccommendation!

MY BLOG...Ladyslipperway.blogspot.com
Unread 12-26-2014, 10:32 AM   #207
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darlenemcg View Post
I found some Pentel white gel pens at Staples. They have a consistent flow...
I may have to check Staples! I bought their Pentel Gold and Silver pens and they are awesome. Never thought to look there for a white!
Alphabet Challenge Week 7
Unread 12-26-2014, 05:57 PM   #208
Kookie Creator

I'll have to check there too. I have the silver and gold and I too never checked for white. Thanks for sharing!

MY BLOG...Ladyslipperway.blogspot.com
muscrat likes this post.
Unread 04-15-2015, 05:31 AM   #209
Inking Addict

Try storing your gel pens upside down. I find that it helps the gel flow easier since gravity has caused the gel to run to the tip of the pen. Since I've been storing my (old) pens that way they write smoothly.
Unread 05-01-2015, 05:39 PM   #210
Die Cut Diva

Default Tip for unclogging a gel pen

A few weeks ago, my white Gelly Roll gel pen stopped working. I really like this pen, and it was 3/4 of the way full of ink, so I thought I would try to get it going again. I pulled off the tip with a pair of needle-nose pliers. (I suggest doing this slowly over a paper towel or rag.) Then I pulled out a wad of "gunk" that was inside the tip. It was like dried-up glue - presumably the gel. I pushed the tip back on the pen and tried it. It now works better than it did when I first bought it!

So, before you throw away your next clogged gel pen, give this a try. I hope it works for you too.
Unread 05-01-2015, 09:33 PM   #211
Kookie Creator

Good tip! I've tried removing the whole inside of the pen and holding the metal tip in hot water. Sometimes it worked and often it didn't. I did end up with some watery color with gunk in the center. Messy! I'm glad it worked for you and it gives me hope in my future attempts at gel pen resuscitation.
Unread 05-01-2015, 09:46 PM   #212
Kookie Creator

I wonder how many of us are thinking if only we had know this before we threw out the last one or the one before that. Thanks for sharing, will save this tip, much appreciated.
muscrat and shazsilverwolf like this post.
Unread 05-02-2015, 05:29 AM   #213
Die Cut Diva

I know what you mean, Ailhelen. I wish I had thought of this before. But better late than never, right? I hope it works for others as well as it worked for me. Now I have to be careful that too much ink doesn't flow out of the tip when I'm using it.
Unread 05-02-2015, 08:03 AM   #214
Stazon Splitcoast

Add me to the list of frustrated pen-tossers! I would still have my souffle pens, no doubt... Thanks for this tip - I will definitely have to try it!

Unread 05-02-2015, 08:17 PM   #215
Die Cut Diva

I unclogged another one tonight. My light blue Glaze Pen seemed a little dry. I pulled off the tip, and there was a long, solid chunk that I was able to just pull out of the pen. Good as new! One thing I should clarify is that you need to pull the silver metal tip itself out of the pen, not the white collar.
scrapnterri likes this post.
Unread 05-03-2015, 10:34 PM   #216
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapjanny View Post
I unclogged another one tonight. My light blue Glaze Pen seemed a little dry. I pulled off the tip, and there was a long, solid chunk that I was able to just pull out of the pen. Good as new! One thing I should clarify is that you need to pull the silver metal tip itself out of the pen, not the white collar.
Wow I will have to try with the glitter pens that stopped working, at least the ones I haven't thrown out yet. Your so clever!!
Unread 06-12-2015, 10:47 AM   #217
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Send a message via Skype™ to ashjoy

Quote:
A few weeks ago, my white Gelly Roll gel pen stopped working. I really like this pen, and it was 3/4 of the way full of ink, so I thought I would try to get it going again. I pulled off the tip with a pair of needle-nose pliers. (I suggest doing this slowly over a paper towel or rag.) Then I pulled out a wad of "gunk" that was inside the tip. It was like dried-up glue - presumably the gel. I pushed the tip back on the pen and tried it. It now works better than it did when I first bought it!

So, before you throw away your next clogged gel pen, give this a try. I hope it works for you too.
I just tried this on two of mine, it didn't work, yet they are full of ink. I don't get it but sure do have bad luck with white pens.
Unread 07-10-2015, 08:36 AM   #218
Matboard Maniac

A gal told me not to shake my pen, but roll it between my two palms "to warm it". I tried non working gel pens various brands and it worked for me. If it hasnt been used for a long time, warm water run over can some times help.
Unread 07-22-2015, 10:53 AM   #219
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Any chance you can do a video? I'm sure I have 3 or 4 clogged pens in my stash :/.
Unread 07-23-2015, 03:44 AM   #220
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampermomof2 View Post
Any chance you can do a video? I'm sure I have 3 or 4 clogged pens in my stash :/.
I'll try to do a quick one when I get home today. I'll let you know when it's up.
Unread 08-06-2015, 06:26 AM   #221
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Sakura Gelly Roll pen help

I have a set of 8 of these. I just checked them. They rolled out ink for about 5 seconds, and then went dry. All 8 of them did the exact same thing!!!! Is there anything I can do to get them started again? It's so frustrating.
Thank you.
Karen
Unread 09-05-2015, 11:20 AM   #222
Matboard Maniac

Default Ranger Inkssentials white pen Problem

Hi! I've been reading through this thread and see that just about everyone has problems with the white opaque pens, so it's not just me! I usually use the Ranger Inkssential white opaque pen and have run into a problem with one recently that has never happened before. The ink is still flowing but it's suddenly dark gray instead of white! It switched colors midway through use and I've never seen such a thing before. Does anyone know how to tell how much white ink is still in the pen? My first thought was that it ran out , even though the barrel looks like there's still ink in there but it may just be the color of the ink refill inside the clear pen. The silver tip is not making a scratchy sound or feel on the paper, as if it's just metal against paper, but is now writing a dull dark gray. Anyone else have one of these pens that are partially used so you can let me know how to tell if it's still got ink inside of it? Thanks!
Unread 09-05-2015, 12:25 PM   #223
Kookie Creator

I had another Ranger product that was defective and they replaced it with no hassle so I would contact them.
kazeka likes this post.
Unread 09-05-2015, 01:21 PM   #224
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweedcurtain View Post
I had another Ranger product that was defective and they replaced it with no hassle so I would contact them.
Thanks, I just contacted them and they requested a photo of the pen, the writing sample, and purchase info. I did that but am now wondering if the pen is just empty?! It doesn't look empty but I'm not sure how to tell.
Unread 09-12-2015, 12:46 PM   #225
Rubber Obsessor

Send a message via AIM to MakeTime2Stamp Send a message via Yahoo to MakeTime2Stamp
Default Refilling and Cleaning Signo gell pe

I am truly sorry that my video quality is so bad but I wanted to share what I have done to be able to use 10 of my Signo white gel pens. I made this video with my cell phone and hopefully when I can get someone else to hold the camera and take the video it will come out better!! I hope you can see this as I just uploaded it to Youtube. If you have questions about the video or what I did, just write and ask. I took apart my gel pens and cleaned the ink out entirely and refilled them with Stampin' Up white craft ink and the good news is: they now work!!
Here's a link to the video!

Liz
kazeka and grateful2bsaved like this post.
Unread 09-14-2015, 07:59 PM   #226
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeTime2Stamp View Post
I am truly sorry that my video quality is so bad but I wanted to share what I have done to be able to use 10 of my Signo white gel pens. I made this video with my cell phone and hopefully when I can get someone else to hold the camera and take the video it will come out better!! I hope you can see this as I just uploaded it to Youtube. If you have questions about the video or what I did, just write and ask. I took apart my gel pens and cleaned the ink out entirely and refilled them with Stampin' Up white craft ink and the good news is: they now work!!
Here's a link to the video!

Liz
Wow, that's just amazing that you figured out how to take the pen apart and then clean it so well but I watched the entire process....totally fascinated! I don't have any white craft ink refills but this is something to keep in mind for the future as all the gel pens I've gotten seem to clog up so quickly. Thanks!
Anne Ryan likes this post.
Unread 12-02-2015, 11:57 AM   #227
Proud Fan Club Member

I posted this tip I learned in the Tools/Techniques, but Lydia suggested that I post it here also;
If anyone has ever opened a pack of Quickie Glue Pens, or the Uniball Signo pens or any gel pens for that matter, I know you've seen the little piece of plastic covering the tips of the pens.

Those pens work so great when we first open them; the glue and ink flow freely. Ah, but the second or third time, they don't work so well.

Now I've found out why, and it looks like the manufacturers would tell us. Because I've quit using all these items because I felt like I was getting ripped off.

But one of the ladies at my LSS was showing me how to use a Glaze pen. I opened the pen, removed the plastic covering the nib, and started to toss it. The salesperson caught me just in time. "No, don't throw that away. It's keeps the ink from drying out. When you finish using it, pop that little plastic piece back on there. And if you happen to lose it, you can use a tiny piece of modeling clay the same way."

I don't know about you, but that saves me a lot of frustration and money!
Anne Ryan, scrapnterri, *pam1 and 2 others like this post.
Unread 01-25-2016, 03:12 PM   #228
Stazon Splitcoast

Liz, what a great video. I've thrown more of those darn signo pens away than I can count. What I decided to do was purchase a sharpie fine white pen. It's fare but it's working. I've learned to leave white areas open when coloring to imitate what the white pen could do if it worked.

I thought your video was great. Thanks. As far as I'm concerned, I'm not going to waste anymore time on signo pens. They don't work and never have worked.
DO U KNOW?
BRAK members love to send SCSers cards on their birthdays? Come join us.

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there
is no path and leave a trail." ... Ralph Waldo Emerson
Fan Club Member
KonaRose likes this post.
Unread 05-07-2016, 07:05 AM   #229
Mad Swapper

Great post. My one and only white pen that has to be at least 5 years old is the Sakura Gel Pen.

I do not have a white marker, so this was a great post.
Unread 09-12-2016, 05:08 PM   #230
Glitter Queen

Wow! Liz great video. I have just recently thrown gel pens away I had been holding onto since I knew I could find a way to make them work again. Guess I gave up to soon! Thanks for the info!