Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2012, 06:23 AM   #41
Crimping Master

Great card,Gobarb26! Have had some success with an old ink eraser getting the words off laminate. Sorry, can't help with the holes!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-08-2012, 10:52 AM   #42
Embossing Fanatic

OK, this isn't exactly "unconventional" in that it is art supplies, but I just love skybluepink.com. They have such unusual tiny embellishments for cards--my favorite is the 3/4 inch lion head door knocker which I put on a wood veneer door for a new home card. They also have 5 mm dice, tiny glass vials, watch parts, game pieces, etc. If you love miniature, you'll love this place. Someone will say I'm an enabler, and I'll admit to that.
Susie
Old 09-08-2012, 11:04 AM   #43
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie718 View Post
OK, this isn't exactly "unconventional" in that it is art supplies, but I just love skybluepink.com. They have such unusual tiny embellishments for cards--my favorite is the 3/4 inch lion head door knocker which I put on a wood veneer door for a new home card. They also have 5 mm dice, tiny glass vials, watch parts, game pieces, etc. If you love miniature, you'll love this place. Someone will say I'm an enabler, and I'll admit to that.
Susie
I am going to check out this site. Yes, I think we are all enablers, if not to our friends, to ourselves! I don't need an excuse to get something!
Old 09-08-2012, 02:16 PM   #44
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Susie
The door card sounds adorable. Got a pic?
Old 09-08-2012, 02:50 PM   #45
Embossing Fanatic

Thanks for asking, but I don't have a picture--it's one I made a couple of years ago.
Susie
Old 09-08-2012, 03:50 PM   #46
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Thanks for asking, but I don't have a picture--it's one I made a couple of years ago.
Susie
Well, it sounds absolutely perfect for new home owners. I too, like skybluepink, but I couldn't find those charms you described. Perhaps they're discontinued.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:57 PM   #47
Embossing Fanatic

I just went back and looked, and I found the lion's head thing under the hardware section of the products. It's called a door pull and they're sold 2 for $1. They really are adorable.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:25 AM   #48
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Susie
This is a great store. Thanks for the tip! That Ninji pearlescent water color set they have on clearance is terrific! I have that set and love it. I can't believe it's just $2.75.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:30 AM   #49
Polyshrink Goddess

I can get quite a few craft supplies at the office supply store. Paint chips, adhesive and other stuff at the hardware store. Tons of stuff at the dollar store including Kaisercraft style pearls. Doilies and small embellies at the cake/baking supply store. The embellies are sold for cake toppers and cupcakes. You can get plastic test tubes for favours at teachers supply stores and other cool stuff like game pieces, tons of paper products and educational toys which often have parts we can use. Ive seen the cutest bits of rulers used as embellies, wonder if they have small ones hubby could cut up for me. Containers both for storage and gift giving at many online bottle stores. Jewelry stores often have great wire, charms and jump rings which can be great for cards etc. they also have those side cutters. Jewelry ones cut one side flat so wire or metal based beading material isn't pointy and sharp.

And I get endless numbers of super cheap zipper top bags at a packaging store. The kind that sells moving boxes, heat shrink tools and bags etc to manufacturers. Most open to the public and minimums aren't too bad. I get just about any size bag for pennies. They have to many options for size and thickness depending on use. I get thicker walled bags for storage but the cheapest and thinnest for kitchen use (although I use as few as possible to minimize our environmental footprint). They have plastic corrugated boxes which are great for storage especially if you move often like poor Beate.

I love clear bags of Canada too as they sell great envelopes in many colours as well as clear boxes for cards and gifts and clear bags like the ones many embellies are sold in. They open and reseal which makes them great for selling cards and they can be mailed in them too making them double duty. Just use a Sharpie to write on the side the back shows through or add a piece of paper to the inside of the envie for the addresses. Envelopes seem to be used in so many craft projects these days; they are more then just for mailing. Nicer quality coloured ones make those projects even nicer.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:17 PM   #50
Matboard Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to diecuts4u

Thrift shops, I have found so many useful things to repurpose for crafts. Ya gotta think outside the box on what u can use it for. Fun..............to go exploring thrift shops.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:33 AM   #51
Polyshrink Goddess

Whenever I'm looking for non-traditional supplies, I check out my local True Value hardware. My husband used to work there part time and now, when I walk in the door, they ask, "what are you making now?" I tell them what I'm looking for and they take me right to it! A big shout out to Billman's True Value!

Plus, Mark at Billman's saves all their "POS" or point of sale signs. It's colored on one side, white on the other and as thick as cereal box chipboard. They don't use the signs and I use it for chipboard in my projects. Most of the sheets are 18" x 20". I usually get a 1" stack of it. In exchange I make him cookies or cinnamon rolls!

Our local Ben Franklin store only stocks a minimal amount of scrapbooking supplies, but they have a nice section of crochet thread (I use it instead of baker's twine), yarn, ribbon, buttons, office supplies, and storage containers. They are also willing to special order anything I need or want.

Another great place for small tools (like 6" sharp point tweezers) is my local quilt store.

I try not to take paint chip samples from the hardware store because I know that the store has to pay for those samples!

Check your local True Value or other hardware store for chipboard and displays. Also local grocery stores for displays. Venders send nice displays that the stores don't always have room to use. I got a really nice 5' long set of display shelves from an IGA store and I use it to store all my stamp sets.