Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-19-2011, 07:26 PM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the best....

....clear stamping pad and clear embossing powder?

I've wanted to try out the embossed patterns using embossing folder templates, in online tutorials where the pattern s stamped out then dipped in clear embossing powder, the excess shaken off....and then the heat gun used to bring out the results...

in the tutorial i saw, the brand was versamark... but i didnt quite catch what kind it was... i did a little online search, and saw products from inkadinkado that seemed to state they were clear....

but i'm looking for something that is long lasting... do the stamp pads dry out? how long do they last? coz even if i do purchase them end of this month, i will probably not use them until mid october when i'm back home...
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2011, 07:37 PM   #2  
Inking Addict

Versamark makes a Watermark ink pad. That is what you are looking for. I bought a pad and refill set from Michaels awhile back and it works great for me. I can't remember the brand name at the moment and I'm not home. The ink is pink and has a cinnamon scent to it but it does emboss clear with clear embossing powder. I find that most stamp pads last just fine. I live in Montana which is a super dry climate and I have yet to have any pads dry out on me. I still make sure to store them all upside down to help the ink settle on top rather than the bottom.

I have also heard, from a youtube video, about a woman who refilled her old plain embossing pad with corn huskers lotion and water. I've done some embossing with hand lotion and it works great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2011, 09:33 PM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

I've tried several brands and the one that works best for me is Versamark. it works great and lasts for ages.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2011, 10:45 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had my little VersaMark ink cube or a couple years and its still works great without having to re-ink it yet. As long as you have the lid on properly, it should be ok until you get to it in a couple months. If you're worried about it, just wrap it tightly in some cling wrap.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2011, 01:55 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

I love Versamark. I have tried other brands and to me none are as good as Versamark. Ranger makes one thats good but to me that pad is just to darn small. You do want to buy a re-inker for it. It will last a long time b4 you have to use a re-inker. I seem to use mine a lot. In fact embossing resist is one of my favorite techniques.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2011, 06:18 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought my Versamark when I started this back in 2003. I have yet to reink it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2011, 06:26 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To heat emboss you can use either VersaMark or Perfect Medium. Both will stamp basically clear. The VersaMark ink pad can also be used for watermarking on your card.

There is a brand Top Boss that has a pink tint (or it may be blue) to it but I found that at times that color did show through when useing clear embossing powder.

I would recommend using the clear embossing powder by Ranger. You can find it in most any craft store.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2011, 11:58 AM   #8  
Inking Addict

Thanks guys! versamark and ranger it is!

now another ...slightly silly question... can you emboss with a blowdrier? it just occured to me the other day... :P
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2011, 12:55 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

No, a hair dryer doesn't get hot enough. With a coupon from one of the Big craft stores you can get an inexpensive heat gun.
I also vote for the Versamark for embossing and for creating a watermark effect, but I have converted to using Super Fine Detail embossing powder. I use the Filigree powder from Stewart Superior. You can get hair thin detail lines with this powder where other powders kind of just melt into a blurry mess. I LOVE it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by embeearqamView Post
Thanks guys! versamark and ranger it is!

now another ...slightly silly question... can you emboss with a blowdrier? it just occured to me the other day... :P
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2011, 03:23 PM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

No, a hair dryer doesn't get hot enough. With a coupon from one of the Big craft stores you can get an inexpensive heat gun.
I agree, a hair dryer doesn't get hot enough.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2011, 03:55 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

U can emboss over a hot plate just don't put the paper too close to the hot plate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2011, 04:42 PM   #12  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,912 Likes on 2,181 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoyceLView Post
U can emboss over a hot plate just don't put the paper too close to the hot plate.
I've been told a toaster works, (over it, not in it!) but I wouldn't take a chance on starting a fire! I agree with the one who says you can get one at the store with a coupon. I think they are approx. $20 but with a 50% off....big savings....if you are going to emboss, you really must have one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2011, 05:57 PM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by embeearqamView Post
....clear stamping pad and clear embossing powder?

I've wanted to try out the embossed patterns using embossing folder templates, in online tutorials where the pattern s stamped out then dipped in clear embossing powder, the excess shaken off....and then the heat gun used to bring out the results...

in the tutorial i saw, the brand was versamark... but i didnt quite catch what kind it was... i did a little online search, and saw products from inkadinkado that seemed to state they were clear....

but i'm looking for something that is long lasting... do the stamp pads dry out? how long do they last? coz even if i do purchase them end of this month, i will probably not use them until mid october when i'm back home...
Embossing inks contain either glycerin or a derivitive of glycerin, and they take literally years to dry out. In a pinch, just about any oil based supply can be used for embossing (embossing ink must remain damp long enough for the powder to adhere to it for heating). I've even rubbed Chapstick over stamps to use as an embossing ink...the texture of chapstick is entirely different than that of stamping ink.

I use Clearsnap Embossing Ink and embossing powders from The Embossing Powder Candy Store. I think one of my Clearsnap embossing ink pads is close to 20 years old!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2011, 02:52 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ladies......Not using the proper heat tool would be like a child playing with matches. If you want to heat emboss, purchase a heat gun. Spending $20 is not that much to be safe and do the techinique correctly.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes