Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 07:23 AM   #41
Pearl-ExPert

I am definitely a card stock snob. I only like Stampin Up for my card base. I do have some cheaper card stock. I will not use it as a card base but I will use it for my layering.

My Blog
- My Gallery
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-09-2013, 06:18 PM   #42
Polyshrink Goddess

One thing no one mentioned was to stamp on it and use it to wrap gifts. Personalized wrapping paper. You could even make it somewhat match the card.

Independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator
Old 02-10-2013, 09:58 AM   #43
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH in VA View Post
I also have used the inexpensive cardstock as a liner inside cards with dark bases.

One idea I haven't seen yet on this thread - if you're mailing a card with metal embellishments or buttons, cut a piece of the cheap cardstock to the size of your card and run it through your crimper, then insert that between the front of the card and the envelope. The crimped cardstock will help protect the card as it goes through the postal system.
I used this technique but with a relevant embossing folder at Christmas to protect a rhinestone! It is a great use for embossing folders you loved once but no longer think are wonderful too.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:29 PM   #44
Cardstock Collector

I donated a bunch of it to Children's hospital!
Old 02-10-2013, 02:37 PM   #45
Die Cut Diva

I agree with those that don't like it for card bases. And I also agree with those that like the cheaper paper for punches, layers, die cuts, and dry embossing. I find that some of the high-quality, heavy-weight cardstock does NOT work well at all with my punches. And sometimes some of my embossing folders.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:46 PM   #46
Proud Fan Club Member

I plan to buy the new We R Memory Keepers envelope maker and turn mine into envelopes. It will kill two birds with one stone: clear out my paper storage unit and save money on envelopes.
Devoted Fan Club Member since 2005
Old 02-10-2013, 07:34 PM   #47
Cardstock Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by allee's View Post
I plan to buy the new We R Memory Keepers envelope maker and turn mine into envelopes. It will kill two birds with one stone: clear out my paper storage unit and save money on envelopes.
Great idea!
Old 02-12-2013, 02:01 PM   #48
Stazon Splitcoast

I only use SU cardstock for the main card. All the other things like layering, die-cuts, 3D flowers etc. get made from lighter card especially when I have two or three layers plus embossing.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:36 PM   #49
Die Cut Diva

This is an interesting topic. I actually like Recollections brand card stock from Michael's. It is much better quality than brands they used to carry. I use it for card bases and I get a lot of compliments on my cards. I don't think of myself as doing low par work. SU and the others is okay, but it is expensive and shipping is expensive and you can't really get an idea of what the color truly looks like from a computer screen or catalog. Don't get me wrong, I use them too. But I don't dismiss other brands just because they are not expensive. I also like the thinner card stock to use with my Silhouette Cameo and more intricate designs.

Join us for VSN Friday & Saturday, June 6 & 7
Old 02-24-2013, 09:54 AM   #50
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by javagirl984 View Post
This is an interesting topic. I actually like Recollections brand card stock from Michael's. It is much better quality than brands they used to carry. I use it for card bases and I get a lot of compliments on my cards. I don't think of myself as doing low par work. SU and the others is okay, but it is expensive and shipping is expensive and you can't really get an idea of what the color truly looks like from a computer screen or catalog. Don't get me wrong, I use them too. But I don't dismiss other brands just because they are not expensive. I also like the thinner card stock to use with my Silhouette Cameo and more intricate designs.
I often use a lot of layers on my cards or heavier 3d embellishments on the front and I find that the recollections as a base alone topples over under the weight. I have however by starting this thread found other ways to enjoy the thinner card stock by using it for die cuts and extra layers etc. so now I don't feel as if its a complete waste. You can learn something useful from anyone on SCS which is why I posted the question here. I knew the ladies would come out of the woodwork with suggestions!
Old 02-24-2013, 11:37 AM   #51
Die Cut Diva

I tend to use a lot of layers and embellishments for some of my cards as well. I also use many layers inside. That seems to balance everything out for me and I don't have a problem with them toppling. When I don't decorate the inside with those layers, I do tend to have issues with toppling. For CAS cards I do prefer heavier card stock. I agree there are so many great ideas shared on here.

Join us for VSN Friday & Saturday, June 6 & 7
Old 02-24-2013, 12:17 PM   #52
Stazon Splitcoast

I think it depends on how the layers come together. Christmas I had no issue because I adhered a front panel of Neenah Classic Crest to the front. However when I played with heat embossing on a single layer I had warping.

I think it all evens out, I know I wouldn't want to do multi layers with really thick cardstock and create a book instead of a card!
Old 02-26-2013, 10:12 PM   #53
Matboard Maniac

UGH!!!! I went to HL cause I needed a bit of layering weight and didn't want to use my good Gina K CS. I got The Paper Studio black "cardstock" and it was the worst ever. It was on sale 50% of so I got 2 so now I have twice as much awful "cardstock". Some one said earlier it was like construction paper. So true!!
Old 02-27-2013, 07:44 AM   #54
Gabfest Goddess

I had a bunch of that cheaper red paper, and some patterned paper that just didn't "go" with anything else I had. I punched hearts out of all of it and stitched a long heart garland for my daughter to decorate her dorm room! (check out pinterest or etsy for ideas!) I plan on making another one with die-cut butterflies for the spring.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:08 AM   #55
Mad Swapper

Like lots of others, I use it for punching, especially lacy borders, card inserts, I use it for stamping off onto, under card I'm brayering/inking,and for layering & matting. I also use it for things like making an Embossing folder memory aid- I embossed each folder I have onto cheap paper and put them into an A5 binder - I always forget about some of my folders, and this helps a lot. You could make telephone notepads by cutting them down and taping one edge to hold them together. I did one of these,and stuck it on the side of my desk. Great for scribbling pens on, trying out colours, squeezing blobs of glue onto- you just rip the top one off when its full & bin it!
Old 02-27-2013, 10:05 AM   #56
Stazon Splitcoast

Hmmmm, my Paper Studio cardstock is nothing like construction paper. Indeed it just seems to be lighter version of my bazzill. Now I had some old Michaels cardstock that was a touch better than construction paper.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:59 AM   #57
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoFan60 View Post
UGH!!!! I went to HL cause I needed a bit of layering weight and didn't want to use my good Gina K CS. I got The Paper Studio black "cardstock" and it was the worst ever. It was on sale 50% of so I got 2 so now I have twice as much awful "cardstock". Some one said earlier it was like construction paper. So true!!
Are you sure its Paper Studio? I know the brand Michaels carries/used to carry was called The Paper Company. Zellers and Walmart (here in Canada) carry The Paper Company, and that stuff is like construction paper - except for the Kraft, which ironically is one of the nicer Kraft papers I've found aside from the Recollections one.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:57 PM   #58
Matboard Maniac

Smile

Yes it was the HL brand The Paper Studio. I went the next day and got the Recollections brand at Michaels and it was still thin but better. The HL paper frayed when I cut it w/ my trimmer and the Mikes brand did not.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:27 PM   #59
Stazon Splitcoast

Yes I was just coming back to post that I looked at that cardstock today and it did seem a bit ugh. I admit I bought some because I have a project it will be fine for but it does remind me more of Michael's last lot of cardstock before it became recollections.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:44 PM   #60
Kookie Creator

I give it to my grandaughter to color on.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:13 AM   #61
Rubber Obsessor

I'm going to selfishly say donate it to your local Girl Scout troops! We use my cardstock to make cards for hospitalized children, Valentines for Vets and Thank you cards for donations.

Most GS Troops have to keep costs down (we usually only get $0.40 a box on those cookies BTW) so the Michael's cardstock is usually the way we go.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:37 PM   #62
Rubber Obsessor

Default Journal page edges

I've been using older, cheaper, thinner scrapbook papers to jazz up the outside edges of pages in my journal. I tear a strip on both sides, then fold it around the page edge so a torn edge is on each side of the page. The variety of colors and patterns make the edge of the journal look colorful and interesting, and the folded paper strengthens and protects the pages where they get the most wear. (I was using washi tape on the edges, but the folded and torn paper is a less expensive way to get the same result.)
Old 03-19-2013, 03:11 PM   #63
Cardstock Collector

I donated mine to a day care center. They were thrilled to have it!
Old 03-19-2013, 03:16 PM   #64
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenofTools View Post
I've been using older, cheaper, thinner scrapbook papers to jazz up the outside edges of pages in my journal. I tear a strip on both sides, then fold it around the page edge so a torn edge is on each side of the page. The variety of colors and patterns make the edge of the journal look colorful and interesting, and the folded paper strengthens and protects the pages where they get the most wear. (I was using washi tape on the edges, but the folded and torn paper is a less expensive way to get the same result.)
Forgot to include photo link: Journal page edges | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Old 03-19-2013, 03:33 PM   #65
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenofTools View Post
Forgot to include photo link: Journal page edges | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
too cute!

I also came back to say that has anyone picked up a store bought card lately? They aren't too thick or heavy. I know there is a difference but I often wonder at what price. So I like a heavier weight. That doesn't mean the person receiving it will know the difference and/or even care. If we choose heavier because that is what we like then that is ok. If we choose it because of fear of judgment then just look at all the variety out there and use what we like.

Last edited by RiverIsis; 03-19-2013 at 03:36 PM..
Old 03-19-2013, 04:04 PM   #66
Compulsive Stamper

New to all of this. Are you talking about those packs of paper that are glued in a pack (12" X 12") or those loose pieces of paper that fill a wall at Michaels and AC Moore. To me those loose pieces of paper seem thin for card making. I thought they were for scrapbooking and the packs are heavy like construction paper. So I'm confused. What paper are you talking about?
Old 03-20-2013, 12:39 AM   #67
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billie Anne View Post
New to all of this. Are you talking about those packs of paper that are glued in a pack (12" X 12") or those loose pieces of paper that fill a wall at Michaels and AC Moore. To me those loose pieces of paper seem thin for card making. I thought they were for scrapbooking and the packs are heavy like construction paper. So I'm confused. What paper are you talking about?
Those are the papers that they are referring to as "cheap". I don't consider them "cheap" and I like them myself. They are thinner than some other brands, but they are still nice to use. The patterned papers aren't meant to be used as a base and the card stocks aren't really heavy enough for bases either especially if you like to put a lot of layers and/or embellishments on your cards. I have used the cardstock for a base, but I don't usually go overboard with my stuff on it. You will find a lot of people look down their noses at it, but I don't pay any attention to them. I do what I want and use what I like. That's the point of a hobby - to make yourself happy - not any one else.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:30 AM   #68
Compulsive Stamper

catwoman, Thanks for the information.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:52 AM   #69
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat_woman View Post
Those are the papers that they are referring to as "cheap". I don't consider them "cheap" and I like them myself. They are thinner than some other brands, but they are still nice to use. The patterned papers aren't meant to be used as a base and the card stocks aren't really heavy enough for bases either especially if you like to put a lot of layers and/or embellishments on your cards. I have used the cardstock for a base, but I don't usually go overboard with my stuff on it. You will find a lot of people look down their noses at it, but I don't pay any attention to them. I do what I want and use what I like. That's the point of a hobby - to make yourself happy - not any one else.
*standing ovation* - seriously! Why does a handmade card have to "thump" when it hits the table? I think it is one of those ideas perpetuated by the homeshopping marketing companies . That said I tend to use Neenah which isn't a "cheap" cardstock by any means because it is smooth very white for my copics.

Shock horror I bought my eldest's graduation invites last year. I have copier paper thicker and these were the "proper" engraved announcements.

I guess I'm not the "normal cardmaker". I'm not overly invested in "keepsake" announcements/cards because most people do throw them away or recycle them.

Do what you can afford and what makes you happy as far as cardstock goes. I have seen beautiful work with "cheap" cardstock.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:33 AM   #70
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billie Anne View Post
When I started this thread, I personally was referring to the cardstock the Michael's sells in a plastic package, not a pad of paper. Originally it was made by The Paper Company and now it is made by Recollections. A lot of people are saying that the Recollections is better and I have to agree. Now, at my Michael's the cardstock that is sold by the sheet is Bazzill which to me is perfectly fine for a card base.

Use whatever floats your boat. I use a lot of layers on my cards so for a base I have to have the thicker stuff. However, through this thread I have found ways that I can use the thinner stuff without having to give it away and waste my money. Which was my purpose when starting the thread. Not to make other's feel like they have to conform to a certain standard or that their cards are not up to snuff if they use the thinner brands.

I recently took a cut in hours at work so, I've had to get thrifty with my supplies and find ways to use things that I've thrown to the side.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:48 PM   #71
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverIsis View Post
*standing ovation* - seriously! Why does a handmade card have to "thump" when it hits the table? I think it is one of those ideas perpetuated by the homeshopping marketing companies . That said I tend to use Neenah which isn't a "cheap" cardstock by any means because it is smooth very white for my copics.

I guess I'm not the "normal cardmaker". I'm not overly invested in "keepsake" announcements/cards because most people do throw them away or recycle them.

Do what you can afford and what makes you happy as far as cardstock goes. I have seen beautiful work with "cheap" cardstock.
god, you made me laugh about the "thump". I'm not a layerer. I like it plain and simple. I didn't start making "keepsake" cards but people kept and displayed my first christmas card because of the metal ornament. Now I'm sure some people threw them out but I'm still startled to see my card on display after 3 or 4 years.
I have some very cheap cards from one of the craft stores. They were on the clearance rack, 8 cards for 20 cents. I thought they were cheap but cute and wondered what I could do to fix them up. This is what I call cheap! Some have a window cut out in the shape of a snowman and I thought they'd be perfect for money cards for nieces and newphews to tear apart.
I checked out that Neenah site, holy cow!
Stamptician, I was just curious. I've just started and most of the cardstock I have I bought these giant pads at the craft store for $20. I use them mainly as a support for my metal embossing.
Sorry you had to take a cut in hours. Billie
Old 03-20-2013, 04:34 PM   #72
Cardstock Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamptician View Post
Okay Ladies,

I know I'm not the only one who owns it. Before I discovered SU, CTMH, Bazzill, and so forth; I bought a ton of that cheaper CS that almost feels like construction paper. You know, the Michael's brand, the AC Moore brand and so on.

So my question is this...what are you ladies doing with it now? It's not strong enough to be a card base. Are you just using it for die-cuts or layers? I hate to waste stuff and I can't imagine just giving it away or throwing it out. But, I also don't want to go through the hassle of trying to sell it.

What are your recommendations for it?
I use it for matting or dies. Although sometimes it rips easily in some dies