Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-12-2012, 11:56 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What can I do with a Mac?

I was very excited when my brother-in-law has recently gave us his old macbook (he's one of those guys that needs the latest gadgets), because I had heard you could do all kind of creative things with it. The problem is, now that I have it, I have no idea what I can do with it lol

Can anyone enlighten me as to the advantages of having a Mac for general papercrafting/ scrapbooking/ cardmaking etc? I've played around a bit, but it's been a long time since I've used one. I'm fine with my PC laptop (mostly I use it to look at tutorials, sites like this and get into trouble $hopping), but I just wondered if I was missing out on anything neat or fun I could be doing with the Mac.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2012, 10:02 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Do you live near an Apple store? They often offer free demos and classes on how to get the most out of your Mac. Check it out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

I have owned a Mac for years . I did have a PC many years ago, but I am not up on the features of the new Windows operating systems and what is included in them.
On a Mac there are a lot of programs built into the operating system that are used in Graphic design or related projects. If I recall on my PC I had to download programs that are already installed on a MAC

For example if you want to open a PDF on a PC you need to download Adobe reader. On a Mac a PDF reader is included in the operating system. It opens in a program called Preview.
If you want to create a PDF it is also included in the operating system. You bring up the file you want to be formatted as a PDF. Click print ( yes print) and on the lower left side of the print screen it says PDF. There is a drop down menu that has among other choices " save as a PDF" Click that and the document will be saved as a PDF on your desktop. Then just file it or send it where ever you want to.

There are other programs in the operating system of a Mac to open and use other file extensions used mainly in graphic work.

You need to buy some graphic programs for a Mac but the basic ones are included in the operating system.

A good basic book for using a Mac is called the "Missing Manual". There is a version for each operating system. Do you know which operating system is installed on your Mac?
If you don't know go to the Apple icon ( with the bite out of it) at the very top left of your screen and click on it Then click "About this Mac" and it will tell you which operating system you have installed.

It will only show it as OS X 10.6 or such not the name we give it. So OS X 10.5 would be Leopard-- OS X 10.6 would be Snow Leopard-- OS X 10.7 would be Lion and OS X 10.8 would be Mountain Lion. The Missing Manual book titles use the names and the OS X number of the Operating Systems .
I doubt your operating system is older than Leopard, but if it is let me know the number and I will tell you the name of it.

There is also a wealth of information for how to use a Mac on the Apple.com site .

Hope this helps
Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2012, 05:39 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Another thing that is easy to do on a Mac with no extra software is to use clip art.
I have several clip art books from Dover Publications. They come with a CD-ROM
I usually use the JPEG format. I copy the image I want to my Desktop and drag and drop it into Pages ( which is Word on a PC)
From pages I resize it to any size I want. I don't need Vector graphics to do this.

I just did a card with Clip Art from Dover in my Gallery . I resized it to fit the oval I wanted to use .

Birthday Silhouette by Barbara Jay - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2012, 01:45 AM   #5  
Kookie Creator

This isn't really technical but one thing I have noticed on my Mac is that the colors on the screen are much more accurate, meaning when I print the colors are much closer to what I see. Not so much with my Windows laptop.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2012, 09:35 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
Another thing that is easy to do on a Mac with no extra software is to use clip art.
I usually use the JPEG format. I copy the image I want to my Desktop and drag and drop it into Pages ( which is Word on a PC)
From pages I resize it to any size I want. I don't need Vector graphics to do this.

I just did a card with Clip Art from Dover in my Gallery . I resized it to fit the oval I wanted to use .

Birthday Silhouette by Barbara Jay - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Been following the questions about using a Mac with the card making hobby. I love my Mac so much so that if there was a fire it wouldn't be my sewing machine I would grab it would be my Mac! LOL. All kidding aside, I prefer this Mac HANDS DOWN to any PC. There are so few issues to deal with compared to a PC. But, I have had trouble trying to figure out how to upload pics from my camera to the Mac and then on up to SCS. I guess its easy but I just don't do it enough to give advice. Another thing is when I bought the DVD from Crafty Secrets I had a real hard time adjusting the size to print. They use PhotoShop but I don't think the standard Mac has that loaded. May be wrong here but I don't think so. Therefore my question to Barbara Jay is this: my Mac is 4 years old, Snow Leopard, and are you aware of a program on it to do color adjustments and sizing etc. etc.? I know, I know, I should call Mac but ahhhhh I just don't wanna talk to some guy about this unless its absolutely necessary. LIke I said, I don't spend a lot of time on the computer trying to figure everything out. Rather be cleaning, or in art room or eating chocolate. LOL. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2012, 10:55 AM   #7  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post

What a beautiful card, I may have to go find that CD!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2012, 10:57 AM   #8  
Glitter Queen

Thanks so much for all the responses guys, I guess really I will just have to play around with it to find out what I can do with it. I will go check out the Mac store some day, I just want to go on a day when there aren't giant lines lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2012, 11:59 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No computer will come with Photoshop already loaded unless you have purchased it and had the retailer install it for you. Photoshop is an expensive professional level software program.

Snow Leopard comes with Preview installed. It's a basic photo editing program. Here's an article about it:

Preview's Photo Editing Tools Could Be All You Need

Or you could buy Photoshop Elements, which is a not so expensive version of Photoshop that serves most people's needs pretty well.

I have no experience with Preview so can't talk about it with any authority. I use Photoshop on my Mac.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 10-15-2012 at 12:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2012, 10:02 PM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by MubblesView Post
What a beautiful card, I may have to go find that CD!
Amazon has the best prices on Dover Clip art books with CD-ROMS and usually free shipping if you spend a total of $25.

150 Silhouette Designs (Dover Electronic Clip Art) (CD-ROM and Book): Rico Prosperoso: 9780486997490: Amazon.com: Books

Under $12 for 150 images is pennies ( 8�) per image .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2012, 10:18 PM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by dottiejdavisView Post
Been following the questions about using a Mac with the card making hobby. I love my Mac so much so that if there was a fire it wouldn't be my sewing machine I would grab it would be my Mac! LOL. All kidding aside, I prefer this Mac HANDS DOWN to any PC. There are so few issues to deal with compared to a PC. But, I have had trouble trying to figure out how to upload pics from my camera to the Mac and then on up to SCS. I guess its easy but I just don't do it enough to give advice. Another thing is when I bought the DVD from Crafty Secrets I had a real hard time adjusting the size to print. They use PhotoShop but I don't think the standard Mac has that loaded. May be wrong here but I don't think so. Therefore my question to Barbara Jay is this: my Mac is 4 years old, Snow Leopard, and are you aware of a program on it to do color adjustments and sizing etc. etc.? I know, I know, I should call Mac but ahhhhh I just don't wanna talk to some guy about this unless its absolutely necessary. LIke I said, I don't spend a lot of time on the computer trying to figure everything out. Rather be cleaning, or in art room or eating chocolate. LOL. Thanks.

I am running Snow leopard too
I use a card reader to upload pictures from my camera to the computer. It saves on the battery

This is the one I have

Amazon.com: Kingston 19-in-1 USB 2.0 Flash Memory Card Reader FCR-HS219/1: Computers & Accessories

You just plug the card reader USB cable into a port on you computer and insert the SD card from you camera. My camera is a Canon Power Shot and has on screen prompts when it detects a picture.

Caution ! When you finish using the card reader be sure to click on it on your Desktop and then go to File to eject it, or you could lose pictures

As far as reducing font I always drag and drop things into pages and resize things there.

I have never used it but there are a ton of photo editing features in iPhoto which is included with the operating system. Just bring up a picture and look at the bottom of the screen for all the features. There is one to enhance the colors or change the contrast . The only feature I have used once in iPhoto is to crop a picture.

I don't know how to do photo editing so my card go into the gallery just as they come out of my camera :(

My goal for the near future is to learn to do some limited photo editing

My daughter is very involved in Photography and has a super-dooper expensive Adobe Suite for photo editing. She told me she was surprised at all the valuable features in iPhoto

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 10-15-2012 at 10:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2012, 10:41 PM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

I just did a drag and drop into pages for a stamp from Quietfire stamps.
The top verson is the original size then I resized it by dragging the handles for the smaller size
This is a copywrite design and I only used it as a example
I put the link to the stamp in the PDF
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Quiet fire stamp.pdf (39.0 KB, 8 views)
Reply With Quote Likes