Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Skippet
  • 1 Post By cat_woman
  • 1 Post By Rebecca Ednie

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-29-2014, 05:32 PM   #1
Cardstock Collector

Default Water resistant glue for paper?

Thanks for inviting me to join. I was looking for a paper forum, and this looks very active! I see a lot of interesting threads to explore.

I know there are plenty of craft glues for paper, but I need something water or humidity resistant. I am gluing small tabs onto textured heavy card stock, that will hold dangling elements that have some weight to them. I sell my work at art fairs, outside. Under high humidity conditions, or getting rained on (though I try not to let that happen, occasionally I am caught by surprise), the tabs fail and fall off as the glue re-hydates, and the weight of the dangle pulls it off.

I have tried a couple of solvent based glues, but they are not viscous enough for the heavy paper, and also soak right in and fail to stick.

It should dry clear or milky, the brown foamy polyurethane solvent based glues ooze out and look terrible.

If water based, it does not have to be water PROOF, just not give up the ghost at the first sign of rain. What I need is high viscosity, not a spray, and water resistant when dry.

I know these are a lot of requirements! I have tried looking at “This to That,” but there is no information there for my conditions. Thank you for your help.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-29-2014, 05:43 PM   #2
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Hi there and welcome to Splitcoast! This is a very interesting question!

Can I ask which kinds of white or gel glue you've tried to eliminate those?

I live in a humid area so I'm very interested in the answers!

My Gallery |My Blog | My Store
Love Splitcoast?
Help us love our volunteers by shopping at Amazon

Old 07-29-2014, 06:08 PM   #3
Cardstock Collector

Eliminated are mucilage, Elmer’s no-wrinkle glue pen, all common white glues, glue sticks, Aleene’s tacky glue, also Aleene’s Tacky glue gel, Craft Bond Gel Glue for paper.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:32 PM   #4
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

What about Perfect Paper Adhesive by US Art Quest?

After reading the description, if in doubt, I'd suggest you ask Susan to confirm how this will work in the humidity:

USAQ Home of Mica and Perfect Paper Adhesive - USArtQuestt
Old 07-29-2014, 06:42 PM   #5
Cardstock Collector

H'mm. Sounds promising! It does say it's good for materials in moist environments. Description on their site makes it sound a bit like an acrylic medium (which gives me the idea to go find mine and test that tonight).

I just called Michael's, they don't carry it.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:47 PM   #6
Pearl-ExPert

I was going to suggest a gel medium. You can transfer some to a small squeeze bottle or apply with a brush.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:17 PM   #7
Polyshrink Goddess

While not made for paper, I use Fabri-Tac when I need to glue something heavy to paper. Unless you are using vellum or very thin paper, it always stays "stuck" no matter what environmental challenges I put it through.
ladyofcards likes this post.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:07 AM   #8
Watercolor Wizard

Would Glossy Accents be worth a go? I haven't needed to try it under these conditions but it dries very hard so I'd be surprised if it rehydrates enough to fail. It dries totally clear and it certainly has the high viscosity - just squeeze it from the bottle.

My blog
Old 07-30-2014, 05:12 AM   #9
Kookie Creator

I love the Tombo Multi and it dries quickly.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:59 AM   #10
Cardstock Collector

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the ideas. I couldn’t find my own gel medium: it’s buried in my studio somewhere (sigh). I already have something called Fabri-fix, that might be similar to Fabri-tac. I will go to a craft store this afternoon and see if they carry any of these. Otherwise I’ll order online. I'm glad I found this great resource!
Old 07-30-2014, 12:37 PM   #11
Glitter Queen

I just purchased a big tube of cheap gel medium to use as a paper to paper adhesive. It is made by Daler Rowney and I bought it at Walmart for about $4 and so far so good. I didn't want to use my Golden or Liquitex mediums. This is water-resistant and can easily be transferred to a smaller container.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:30 PM   #12
Cardstock Collector

I bought the Tombo Multi and some more gel medium today. I am going to test them tonight. That was a good deal you got on yours, Glitter Queen! Mine was $ 10, on clearance. I went ahead and got it, as I have other uses for it.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:43 AM   #13
Kookie Creator

Fabri-Tac is awesome! They sell it at Walmart! There really is no substitute for Fabri-Tac, really other fabric glues are not the same!
Old 07-31-2014, 04:13 AM   #14
Die Cut Diva

I wouldn't count out the Glossy Accents. I use it to stick stuff on my cards that nothing else will reliably hold.

The only other solution if you can't find a glue is mechanical - attach with a brad, eyelet, staple or some such.

RachelRose Designs by Robin... GALLERY
Old 08-01-2014, 10:00 PM   #15
Matboard Maniac

I've never tried Yes glue, but someone on the forum might be able to comment on its suitability for your application.
Dea
Old 08-03-2014, 10:31 AM   #16
Die Cut Diva

You could also try Outdoor Mod Podge. Its water resistant, so it might work for you. I use it to coat coasters and I haven't had it fail when exposed to moisture.
TeeGeeDee likes this post.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:49 PM   #17
Cardstock Collector

I tested 3 glues :

Acrylic Matte Medium.
Tombow Multi Liquid Glue, green cap.
Craft Bond permanent Fabric Glue

… by gluing the tabs on as I normally do. Then the next day I sprayed all of them with water, several times, and then tried pulling on the tabs after the thick paper had absorbed some water. All had a drying time of at least 16 hours but not a full day. I was intentionally sloppy, to see if some were more forgiving than others.

Best adhesion with no softening: Matte Medium.
Second best: Tombow Multi Liquid Glue, green cap.
Third best: Craft Bond permanent Fabric Glue

Acrylic Matte Medium

Pros: best adhesion. Being matte, any ooze hardly showed. Cons: had to apply with brush. Would be easier if I found a squeeze bottle to transfer it into. Slow tack: had to press and hold it in place till it “caught”.

Pros: fine tip made it very easy to apply. Fast tack: applied, stuck it down, it gripped. Cons: it DID re-hydrate slightly: it started to look milky again. I was able to pull up the tab slightly but when it dried again it went back to having a firm hold. Dried glue stays tacky to the touch a long time. Dried glue is shiny, so ooze is noticeable.

Pros: Easy to apply with fine (ish) tip, not as easy as Tombow. Okay tack, did not have to hold it down much before it gripped. Cons: it DID re-hydrate slightly: it started to look milky again and pull away, more than Tombow. Dried glue is shiny, so ooze is noticeable.

So for now, I’ll use the Tombow, as it was so easy to use and results were good: until I get a squeeze bottle for the matte medium.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:18 PM   #18
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by StamperDea View Post
I've never tried Yes glue, but someone on the forum might be able to comment on its suitability for your application.
Dea
Yes! paste is water based and can be diluted so I don't think it would be suitable for this.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:27 AM   #19
Cardstock Collector

I've tried every glue, glue dot, and sticky tape that you can think of. My favorite glue, hands down, is "Art Glitter Designer Dries Clear". I now buy it in the large 8-oz bottle and use that to refill my smaller 2-oz bottle for handy use. I also use the accessory applicator tip on my 2 oz bottle. This applicator tip allows you to apply the thinnest line or smallest dots of glue that you have ever seen. You might think it's just for glitter because of the name, but it's not. I use it in all of my cardmaking now. I use small dots of glue, it gives you a few seconds to make sure the piece you are gluing is in place where you want it, and does indeed dry clear. If I use a bit too much and it oozes out, I use a toothpick to wipe it away when wet, and my project is not ruined. It dries without warping or other distorting your project. I can't live without this stuff. I might sound like a commercial, but no I have no connection to this company whatsoever beyond being a faithful customer.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:39 AM   #20
Cardstock Collector

Elmer's wood glue is waterproof.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:47 AM   #21
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by linnea56 View Post
I tested 3 glues :

Acrylic Matte Medium.

… by gluing the tabs on as I normally do. Then the next day I sprayed all of them with water, several times, and then tried pulling on the tabs after the thick paper had absorbed some water. All had a drying time of at least 16 hours but not a full day. I was intentionally sloppy, to see if some were more forgiving than others.

Best adhesion with no softening: Matte Medium.
Second best: Tombow Multi Liquid Glue, green cap.
Third best: Craft Bond permanent Fabric Glue

Acrylic Matte Medium

Pros: best adhesion. Being matte, any ooze hardly showed. Cons: had to apply with brush. Would be easier if I found a squeeze bottle to transfer it into. Slow tack: had to press and hold it in place till it “caught”.

Pros: fine tip made it very easy to apply. Fast tack: applied, stuck it down, it gripped. Cons: it DID re-hydrate slightly: it started to look milky again. I was able to pull up the tab slightly but when it dried again it went back to having a firm hold. Dried glue stays tacky to the touch a long time. Dried glue is shiny, so ooze is noticeable.

Pros: Easy to apply with fine (ish) tip, not as easy as Tombow. Okay tack, did not have to hold it down much before it gripped. Cons: it DID re-hydrate slightly: it started to look milky again and pull away, more than Tombow. Dried glue is shiny, so ooze is noticeable.

So for now, I’ll use the Tombow, as it was so easy to use and results were good: until I get a squeeze bottle for the matte medium.
While you are using the Tombow Multi, you could try a clip clothespin to hold your tab and dangles until the glue dries. That will allow you to go on to other pieces while the glued ones dry. I use this glue all the time and it has always dried quickly---until I moved to S. Arizona and am experiencing humidity from monsoon season (something I did not expect when moving to the desert SW). I have some tiles that I glued which are adhering well, but where the glue oozed a bit and I wiped it, it is still tacky after weeks---maybe it always will be!
Old 08-06-2014, 10:28 AM   #22
Polyshrink Goddess

Send a message via AIM to dottiejdavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by linnea56 View Post
Thanks for inviting me to join. I was looking for a paper forum, and this looks very active! I see a lot of interesting threads to explore.

I know there are plenty of craft glues for paper, but I need something water or humidity resistant. I am gluing small tabs onto textured heavy card stock, that will hold dangling elements that have some weight to them. I sell my work at art fairs, outside. Under high humidity conditions, or getting rained on (though I try not to let that happen, occasionally I am caught by surprise), the tabs fail and fall off as the glue re-hydates, and the weight of the dangle pulls it off.

I have tried a couple of solvent based glues, but they are not viscous enough for the heavy paper, and also soak right in and fail to stick.

It should dry clear or milky, the brown foamy polyurethane solvent based glues ooze out and look terrible.

If water based, it does not have to be water PROOF, just not give up the ghost at the first sign of rain. What I need is high viscosity, not a spray, and water resistant when dry.

I know these are a lot of requirements! I have tried looking at “This to That,” but there is no information there for my conditions. Thank you for your help.
Crafter's Pick glue holds tight heavy objects but dont know if you've used it before as it is a white glue. Its my go-to glue for that reason along with Crystal Accents.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:01 PM   #23
Polyshrink Goddess

Some glues are repositional when dry if not adhered to a second surface. Becomes like a post it note. I believe Tombow with the green cap is such a glue. Keep this in mind. I don't know if they would suit your purpose.
Tricia_Calgary likes this post.