Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 08:06 AM   #161
Matboard Maniac

No, not familiar at all. Any videos you recommend?
Old 02-07-2012, 08:12 AM   #162
Crimping Master

Here are a couple.if you go to you tube and type in watercoloring stamped images..or Derwent water color pencils..you will find a gazillion!

How To Water Color A Stamped Image with Crissy Armstrong - YouTube
Watercolor Pencils + Stamping - YouTube

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-07-2012, 10:38 AM   #163
Matboard Maniac

Thanks for those videos! I saw in the 2nd one where she talks about hot pressed paper. Where can I find that? Couldn't find it on ebay.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:54 AM   #164
Pearl-ExPert

i have done very little since i came back from CHA sick as a dog but i DID play a tiny bit with my new albrecht durers and i think i will like them best - they blend SO well and SO easily...
Old 02-07-2012, 11:32 AM   #165
Crimping Master

Here is a link for a lot of HP water color paper..http://www.dickblick.com/search/?q=h...TF-8&x=37&y=10

Marti..you have just sold me on the Durers..Dini too..you enablers...
Old 02-08-2012, 01:56 AM   #166
Pearl-ExPert

Marti- Hugs to you. I hope you feel better soon.

I am not watercoloring at all. I really am starting to get grumpy. I miss my art work. I am setting up a new computer system. Some of you know I am a serious computer geek. My computers are art. That is taking all of my time. I took a break tonight. I hope to have my computer up and running next week. I am still on my old trustworthy girl until I get the new one up to my standards.

My DH bought me a Silhouette Cameo. My DH broke my original Silhouette. Yes girls you read that right. He's the culprit, lol. It was an accident and he felt so bad. When he broke it was a disaster. He couldn't fix it. Silhouette couldn't fix it. He felt like a Jerk. I was not mad. He bought the Cameo for me so I get to set up another die cutter while I set up my new computer system, lol. I am really excited and extremely happy. I will be happy to get messy again with my art work.

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams
Old 02-15-2012, 03:38 AM   #167
Insane Embellisher

Default watercolor pencil tutorial on blog-easy!

WC pencil!
you can color this guy in minutes:

I hope it is helpful!

Last edited by Jeanne S; 08-03-2012 at 01:47 PM.. Reason: SPR
Old 02-15-2012, 03:46 AM   #168
Crimping Master

Lindsay..that card is CUTE!!! And you tutorial is great too..thanks for sharing all of it!
Old 02-17-2012, 03:18 PM   #169
Polyshrink Goddess

I've really enjoyed reading thru this thread! Watercoloring images is very relaxing and "Zen like" for me.

Wanted to mention a book I purchased last year, it is called: Watercolor Pencil Magic by Cathy Johnson, great Book! Very easy to read, follow and understand. She talks about the importance making color swatches of all your pencils. Not only is it a way to see what the actual color is but if you make your swatches large enough to color part and leave part dry/unchanged then you get in idea of how much some of the colors change. It also let you see how intense they are in color or how transparent they become and I know by looking at my swatches which pencil leads are hard and which are soft, thus easier to blend.

BTW, I have a mix of brands, some I accumulated as a teen/child. The harder lead ones I just put in a shallow container of water to soak for a little while. I then use the "brush to pencil tip" method to paint with then. As I said I've had the pencils forever and the water has not hurt them. I do store them in the open with the tips up so they can dry completely after use though.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:20 PM   #170
Compulsive Stamper

Send a message via Yahoo to phyllis610

I agree you make everything seem so easy. Thanks so much Lindsay.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:53 AM   #171
Pearl-ExPert

I got some Valentine's Day money. I went to Michael's and picked up a beautiful 24 set of Inktense Derwents. I finally bought them after deliberating for two years. It is really Lindsay's fault The card she did the other day on her blog with Inktense just won me over. I am really happy with these pencils. They are more amazing than I thought.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:00 AM   #172
Insane Embellisher

thank you ladies, DeeAnn, enjoy your pencils, the inktence is my favorite, I used them last night with my kids to make get well cards for my nephew. Here is the card DeeAnn mentioned, I used the inktense on the geisha's kimono:
Old 02-29-2012, 11:52 AM   #173
Crimping Master

Dini..I ordered some of the "Bee Paper" you suggested..and WOW! I love it for stamping..it is so durable..but smooth at the same..but yet still has some texture to it..thanks!!! LOVE IT I will be recommending it too!
Old 03-01-2012, 12:43 AM   #174
Pearl-ExPert

*sniff sniff* still been too busy to get any coloring done. BUT it is all good stuff i am working on. does anyone here watercolor with twinkling H2Os? i have been working on a bunch of stuff for luminarte and forgot how much i love them. but i have been working mostly on backgrounds and such right now.

which bee paper did you get?
Old 03-01-2012, 03:40 AM   #175
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerridwen3301 View Post
*sniff sniff* still been too busy to get any coloring done. BUT it is all good stuff i am working on. does anyone here watercolor with twinkling H2Os? i have been working on a bunch of stuff for luminarte and forgot how much i love them. but i have been working mostly on backgrounds and such right now.

which bee paper did you get?

Marti it is "Bee Paper" CP Watercolor paper. Now I don't ususally like cold pressed paper..but this isn't really rough at all. So far I like it. It was inexpensive and I ordered it from Blick( like the rest of my stuff LOL)

I have never tried H2O's..Don't have any..but I think Dini has. I have used Perfect Pearls with good success on that front..gives it just a slight shimmer..but I did notice the PP fades the colors out a bit..may have jsut been me or I used too much?
Old 03-01-2012, 04:01 AM   #176
Pearl-ExPert

hmmm not sure on the perfect pearls but i just finished a video on using the H2Os with colored pencils - still have to edit it. what i love to do is use my twinks to paint my image. then i go back in with my pencils to do my shading in the darker areas. what's nice is that the shimmer still shines through the penciled areas. i will post a pic and link when i get it done!
Old 03-01-2012, 06:46 AM   #177
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerridwen3301 View Post
hmmm not sure on the perfect pearls but i just finished a video on using the H2Os with colored pencils - still have to edit it. what i love to do is use my twinks to paint my image. then i go back in with my pencils to do my shading in the darker areas. what's nice is that the shimmer still shines through the penciled areas. i will post a pic and link when i get it done!
That sounds very pretty. I never would have thought of doing your technique, so thanks for sharing the idea. What kind of pencils are you using...regular or watercolor? I can't wait to see your sample.

Inkin One,
When you buy your paper from Dick Blick are you purchasing it in a store or online? I've been hoping to get some items from DB but would rather buy them in a store (if they have them) than to pay the high shipping charges. I don't have a store close by, so I need to wait until I travel to that area. I don't like to have to wait! Does anyone know if DB offers reduced shipping or a coupon code? TIA
Old 03-01-2012, 07:38 AM   #178
Crimping Master

I only order on-line from them as the only store I could get to is several states away LOL. I don't think their shipping is really bad and they are QUICK! They have excellent customer service as well. I have used them since High school..and college that puts me at 20+ years of buying from them. I find that I personally spend WAY less money if I can't actually touch or smell stuff in an art supply store LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie* View Post
That sounds very pretty. I never would have thought of doing your technique, so thanks for sharing the idea. What kind of pencils are you using...regular or watercolor? I can't wait to see your sample.

Inkin One,
When you buy your paper from Dick Blick are you purchasing it in a store or online? I've been hoping to get some items from DB but would rather buy them in a store (if they have them) than to pay the high shipping charges. I don't have a store close by, so I need to wait until I travel to that area. I don't like to have to wait! Does anyone know if DB offers reduced shipping or a coupon code? TIA
Old 03-01-2012, 07:53 AM   #179
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkin One View Post
I find that I personally spend WAY less money if I can't actually touch or smell stuff in an art supply store LOL

Isn't that the truth!
Old 03-01-2012, 01:48 PM   #180
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Blick does have a great special right now - you either have to pay attention to their site, or get on their email list. If you have a friend that you can go in with on an order, that helps too.

I do have Twinkling H2Os but I don't have them with me. They are fun to work with, and I always like changing it up so I'm not always coloring with the same medium all the time... Kinda killing me to just have watercolor pencils, Polychromos and markers to work with! LOL

If you hear a voice within you say you cannot paint,
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
Vincent Van Gogh

Old 03-02-2012, 02:18 AM   #181
Pearl-ExPert

I use Twinkling H2O's. I love anything sparkly.

I finally can start watercoloring again. I finished my computer tonight. That was a job.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:25 AM   #182
Insane Embellisher

someone gave me a cool tip I have yet to try: If you want to watercolor a digistamp ot computer print-out then trace the ink-jet lines with a clear prismacolor wax blending pencil then you can watercolor it, cool huh?
Old 03-03-2012, 01:13 PM   #183
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsaymay View Post
someone gave me a cool tip I have yet to try: If you want to watercolor a digistamp ot computer print-out then trace the ink-jet lines with a clear prismacolor wax blending pencil then you can watercolor it, cool huh?
How cool! I would have never thought of that..but I bet it works..as soon as my husband gets my stupid printer hooked up..I will try that..LOL
Old 03-05-2012, 04:11 AM   #184
Crimping Master

Has anyone run water color paper in their printer? I am sure that has been posted here or somewhere else but I am kinda tired right now LOL..if you have please let me know what weight you used.. My printer should be up an running by mid-week I think and I would love to print off some stuff for Easter and water oclor it..
thanks ladies
Old 03-05-2012, 04:47 PM   #185
Crimping Master

I use 210gsm in the laser printer all the time. There is a setting for 'thick' paper/card but I never used it until recently and unless you were using something a couple of millimetres thick, I doubt you'd need it.

I'm sure I've used it in the inkjet too. Other thick papers I've used have been no problem.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:06 AM   #186
Insane Embellisher

I can ue the 90lb wc paper i my photosmart, the 140lb jams. wc paper weight seeems thicker than cardstock, maybe due to the texture, in my printer.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:50 AM   #187
Crimping Master

I have an HP6400( which btw still isn't hooked up yet LOL) but I will let you know how it works if I ever get to try it. My husband had to order a part for the server that he is connecting it to..and that should be here today or tomorrow. Hopefully I can play around this weekend. A lot of my water color paper is thicker , like 300 lb. because I use it for paintings, but that Bee Paper that Dini recommended is 90 lb, so I will try it. I think it should work fine for what I need. I am going to try that tip you shared above about outlining with a colorless blender..I thin kthat is pretty nifty!
Old 03-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #188
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoffeeKat View Post
I use 210gsm in the laser printer all the time. There is a setting for 'thick' paper/card but I never used it until recently and unless you were using something a couple of millimetres thick, I doubt you'd need it.

I'm sure I've used it in the inkjet too. Other thick papers I've used have been no problem.
I should have added:

I think your measurement system is a bit more complex than ours with different measurements grades for CS and Paper. Ours is one system throughout.

80gsm is standard photocopier paper. So 210gsm would be almost 3 times the weight and because of the texture probably 3 times the thickness. It is definitely thicker than manila folder or bazill for instance.

I just had a quick look at the manual for my printer and it says it goes up to about 120gsm (and then only on the thick media setting) - and here I am using twice that with the standard setting . Just shows how cautious they are with their numbers.

HTH
Old 03-07-2012, 03:17 AM   #189
Insane Embellisher

I think it depends on the printer. I have a bottom loader so the paper practily bends in half on it's way through. Top loader (the kind where you put the paper in the bck) have more of a strait shot out and can handle thicker stuff. Thic paper in my printer is a nightmare
Old 03-08-2012, 04:15 AM   #190
Crimping Master

I am still waiting for my printer to be hooked up ..hopefully it will get done this weekend...I need to make invitations for my 10 yo birthday party at the end of the month...and do some stuff for Easter..love waiting on a man..
Old 03-08-2012, 04:39 AM   #191
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Tickle a Teapotter Coordinator

My printer (HP Deskjet5940) is a bottom loader and is pretty fussy about what you can put through - some cardstock just won't go through at all. But my Clairefontaine 95lb watercolour paper goes through it with no problems at all.
I envy you a server for your printer - my inbox gets cluttered up with all the files DH emails for me to print up here .
Old 03-09-2012, 03:56 AM   #192
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
I am still waiting for my printer to be hooked up ..hopefully it will get done this weekend...I need to make invitations for my 10 yo birthday party at the end of the month...and do some stuff for Easter..love waiting on a man..
I bet you can do it! Give it a try, there is nothing in the x chromasome that gives them specail powers in that department
Old 03-09-2012, 04:03 AM   #193
Crimping Master

LOL Lindsay I could do it..but he is building a server to connect it to so it doesn't need to be in my studio and so that everyone can print and not need to be in my studio to do it..I can wait in order to have that kind of peace LOL.I don't want the kids thinking they need to be in here anymore than they already are..which is A LOT LOL..little fingers LOVE intricate delicate pieces of papers.STAMPS...you name it, they always want it..LOL Plus I so don't have room on my desk or anywhere in here to put the darn thing..can't be giving up space on my desk..that is precious HA!
Old 03-13-2012, 04:41 AM   #194
Crimping Master

What's everyone up to?
Old 03-13-2012, 05:42 AM   #195
Pearl-ExPert

I did create last week. It felt nice. This week I am Spring cleaning. My craft room is done, though. I can create while Spring cleaning. I get all nesting in my home and start redecorating. My home is like a canvas and I have a decorating addiction. Next week I am curling up with my books, games & watercolors.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:18 PM   #196
SCS Gallery Moderator

Quote:
What's everyone up to?
Nothing crafty, alas - I had great hopes for today, being a day off. But my new motherboard for my PC came this morning, so I'm now trying to get all my programs back up and running and all my favourite fonts back in place, and the RAW plug-in for GIMP. And my watermarks! Time you worked on that, Jessica, LOL.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:13 PM   #197
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook22 View Post
Nothing crafty, alas - I had great hopes for today, being a day off. But my new motherboard for my PC came this morning, so I'm now trying to get all my programs back up and running and all my favourite fonts back in place, and the RAW plug-in for GIMP. And my watermarks! Time you worked on that, Jessica, LOL.

Yes my dear friend it is time I did that huh? LOL..I need to get with Dini and have her make one for me I suppose..FORGET ME doing it..this whole switiching to a blessed domain..and everything else my husband has done as of late has left me a bit tired in the cyber world HA!

Really though, after that whole ebay debacle..what good does a watermark do?
Old 03-14-2012, 12:31 AM   #198
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Yes my dear friend it is time I did that huh? LOL..I need to get with Dini and have her make one for me I suppose..FORGET ME doing it..this whole switiching to a blessed domain..and everything else my husband has done as of late has left me a bit tired in the cyber world HA!

Well, when you watermark you can sue the offender up the wazoo. ! I know that's hard for crafter's. I had to do that with my digital artwork when a stationery company stole my work plus a few other designer's work too. Yes, we won. That seems like a million years ago.

That's just one of my hot topics, understandably. I am really laid back. I see my work still to this day come up at sites. I know most of the time it's unintentional. I don't say anything. Boy, you try to make money off my work and I go all gorilla postal!

My work used to be game sprites. A few of the girls here actually use my work as avatars, lol. Don't worry girls reading that do. I am flattered and thank you. I like to keep my digital work quiet because I have greedy family who start acting like I am rich like Oprah. I wish! !

My heart goes out to all of you who are doing computer stuff. I had to set up a whole new system last month and redo all my electronics doodads that go with my new system. I am and always will be a computer geek. I love doing things like that. I was really glad to finish that project, lol. It did really kill my MoJo.

I did play a little bit today. I am most happy when coloring something.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:13 AM   #199
SCS Gallery Moderator

Quote:

It's never going to stop people stealing your work. But it does mean other people can identify it as yours. And even just generally, I know I appreciate it when I can look at cards in the gallery (when I'm watching a slideshow and you don't see the user name) and you can tell who created them because of the watermark. It may only be my initials, but I always "sign" my embroideries.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:17 AM   #200
Crimping Master

I know Sabrina..I need to do it...just haven't.

I played a little with water colors the other day..but honestly this weather has given me spring fever...I have been outside everyday ..almost all day..but now I need to make something( besides flower beds LOL)..what is everyone else up to?