Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-20-2012, 12:33 PM   #121
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Versafine, not Versamagic... (so many Versas to keep track of!) The Versamagic is chalk ink and is water soluble - it's fun to watercolor with, actually! I just tamp a little on an acrylic block.

If you hear a voice within you say you cannot paint,
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
Vincent Van Gogh

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-20-2012, 01:01 PM   #122
Crimping Master

HAHA..I should not type while taking pain meds huh? I could see the "Versafine" ..but had Versa Magic on my desk ..lol..

I haven't water colored with the versamagic yet..will have to try that..
Old 01-21-2012, 12:52 AM   #123
Pearl-ExPert

fairsinger- Congratulations! Nothing better in the world than a baby. They do leave your brain fried and your hormones out of whack. You forget simple things like one time one of my friends walked out of the home in her nursing bra and no shirt, lol. I love babies. They do grow fast. I know everyone tells you that and you think "Whatever!" They really do grow fast. I think my 19 year old son is still five.

I use Versafine Onyx black for my watercoloring. I am thinking of trying India Ink too.

Question on VersaMagic- Is VersaMagic gouache?

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams
Old 01-21-2012, 04:00 AM   #124
Insane Embellisher

Hey ladies, I just realized the SU Basic Grey is waterproof too! It has a "cooler" hue than the SU black that has yellow undertones. I had though Chocolate Cip was waterprook too, it seems that I used it to watercolor before but it does nat say in the catty....any demos know?
Old 01-21-2012, 05:22 AM   #125
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylacfey View Post
fairsinger- Congratulations! Nothing better in the world than a baby. They do leave your brain fried and your hormones out of whack. You forget simple things like one time one of my friends walked out of the home in her nursing bra and no shirt, lol. I love babies. They do grow fast. I know everyone tells you that and you think "Whatever!" They really do grow fast. I think my 19 year old son is still five.

I use Versafine Onyx black for my watercoloring. I am thinking of trying India Ink too.

DeAnn would you use a brayer for the india ink? I have that for my Rapidograph pens..and I use those pens sometimes to reinforce details that get blurry with painting or colored pencils..I actually have a lot of water proof inks in the bottles come to think of it a brayer just might work for them. I use my W&N inks to "water paint" with a lot.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:59 AM   #126
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkin One View Post
DeAnn would you use a brayer for the india ink? I have that for my Rapidograph pens..and I use those pens sometimes to reinforce details that get blurry with painting or colored pencils..I actually have a lot of water proof inks in the bottles come to think of it a brayer just might work for them. I use my W&N inks to "water paint" with a lot.
I have never used a brayer for India Ink. I bet you could. I wonder if you would need the harder brayer for bookmaking though. I am thinking of getting a set of Rapidograph pens. I used to have a set many years ago but I think a relative ran off with them. I miss them. I will have to get another set.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:24 AM   #127
Insane Embellisher

I keep a spare brayer for black ink, I can never get it clean enough so it does not contaminate the other ink pads.

How do you like the rapidograph pens? I just bought a nice refillable pen with changeble nibs, I went with a different brand because it was eaier to fill and not as pricey and the art dealer had them in stock. The rate I go through microns I figured it was time to invest
Old 01-22-2012, 06:34 AM   #128
Crimping Master

I love LOVE my Rapidographs. ( If you look on my blog I drew a vintage santa in Rapidographs for Chirstmas)..I started using them in HS for my drafting class ( before Auto Cad LOL) and have loved them ever since. I bought the full set about 5 years ago and have had to replace one nib on a pen ..d/t my own fault. There is a bit of a learning curve with them and I HIGLY recommend watching some videos on how to clean and care for them. I always use the cleaner and cleaning tool for them..and don't have issues with it. I don't have to refil them a whole lot...or at least not enough for me to be aggravated by it. I also love the fact that I can change out the black for sepia ink as well..never used other inks as I have been afraid it would damage the nibs if it dried in the chamber....but in all actuality it would probably be ok..I think I may try it LOL..

I highly recommend them! I *think* Mikes and maybe hobby lobby carry them so you could use a % of coupon to buy them. They are also perfect for filling in some of those finite details that don't always stamp..and for going over certain parts of the image that often get dulled when coloring..I like that.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:32 PM   #129
Pearl-ExPert

I know when I had my Rapidographs I loved them. I had a whole set. I used them for illustration and drafting. They were my go to pens in high school when I was taking Interior Design. I truly miss them. I was showing my DH a set of them yesterday and he couldn't stop oohing and aahing over them. Rapidographs I think were the most important artist tool for Illustrators before Photoshop.

InkinOne- Your work is amazing. I just took a peek at your blog.

Lindsay- I am looking into a nice refillable pen with changeable nibs. Same reason as you. Tired of going through my pens and needing to buy them again. I would rather have quality over quantity. I love things I can refill over disposable.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:52 AM   #130
Crimping Master

Thank you Deann!

The only thing I have noticed about the Rapidographs is that when working with colored pencil..as in going over the lines to sharpen them after coloring..the pen tip will actually pick up the colored pencil..you just have to whipe it off..but it is something to watch as it could easily damage those delicate nibs on the pen.And it can be a bit "scratchy" on water color paper. If that is something that sets your teeth on edge..then you probably wouldn't want to use the on rougher types of paper LOL
Old 01-23-2012, 10:05 PM   #131
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Congrats..I wondered where you had been..guess I know now LOL..

I like Archival..it works for my water colors as well as colored pencils. I just learned that SU black is water proof as well..haven't tried that yet. I know a lot of the girls like Versa magic ( I have brown but want to try the black..)..I have some of that slated for my next order so I can compare it as well. I am down with my neck and shoulder at the moment..so not much stamping going on for me for the next few days. Hopefully resting yesterday and today and probably tomorrow and using heat..etc..will get me back on track.

Enjoy that little one..I have a 16 yo so I can tell you first hand the years pass quickly ( well the teen age years seem to move at a slower rate HAHA!)
Thanks for your help! I will try the other inks. On the baby note, I have a son who's almost 3 and I keep thinking it was just yesterday that he was a newborn. Time truly just slips by us sometimes. This baby is a little girl, and I'm already dreading her teenage years!!!

My Blog: Insomniac Stamper
My Gallery
SCS Fan Club Member
Old 01-23-2012, 10:09 PM   #132
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylacfey View Post

I think I need to pick up a Versafine pad. I have so many black ink pads that I keep thinking I couldn't possibly need another, but I've been wanting to try a Versafine. I know where to find those, but I don't know where to find India ink. Is that the brand name, and where do you purchase it?

My Blog: Insomniac Stamper
My Gallery
SCS Fan Club Member
Old 01-23-2012, 11:20 PM   #133
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Thank you Deann!

The only thing I have noticed about the Rapidographs is that when working with colored pencil..as in going over the lines to sharpen them after coloring..the pen tip will actually pick up the colored pencil..you just have to whipe it off..but it is something to watch as it could easily damage those delicate nibs on the pen.And it can be a bit "scratchy" on water color paper. If that is something that sets your teeth on edge..then you probably wouldn't want to use the on rougher types of paper LOL
I forgot all about Rapidographs being scratchy on watercolor paper and picking up the color pencils. Prisma's were the worst! Thank you for the reminder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairsinger View Post
I think I need to pick up a Versafine pad. I have so many black ink pads that I keep thinking I couldn't possibly need another, but I've been wanting to try a Versafine. I know where to find those, but I don't know where to find India ink. Is that the brand name, and where do you purchase it?
Stewart Superior makes an India Ink that a lot of hard core stampers swear by: Stewart Superior Memories India Ink Inkpad Large Black

I have never used it. I have never seen it at my stores. I know a lot of stampers from India use the traditional ink in the bottles for stamping. They have the most beautiful results. I am wanting to try that. I am wanting to make my own ink pads using the India Ink in bottles. You can find the bottles in Michael's, Hobby Lobby or your art store. In the craft stores it's carried with the calligraphy items. There are several brands. I would go for a higher end brand so you can get a richer ink. I am really frugal but sometimes high end is better than economy. I used my DH's economy India Ink and it was a nightmare. I won't do that again, lol.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:52 PM   #134
Crimping Master

Deann..do you have any examples you can show of using India ink with stamping? I have a pretty extensive stash of it..but honestly never thought of using it to stamp images LOL...
Old 01-25-2012, 04:55 PM   #135
Glitter Queen

Send a message via Yahoo to phyllis610

I just showed a friend how to use the watercolor pencils and she fell in love with the technique. She had been using Copics and remarked she liked this better. Always fun to share a technique with a friend,
Old 01-26-2012, 12:11 AM   #136
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Deann..do you have any examples you can show of using India ink with stamping? I have a pretty extensive stash of it..but honestly never thought of using it to stamp images LOL...
No, I don't. I hope to have some India Ink this weekend to try. I might have to order it online. I really didn't like Michael's selection the last time I was in.

When I was a small child when dinosaurs roamed and Madonna was still cool, my Daddy taught me to stamp. Back then there were no inks to speak of except the office supply inks in Red & Black. My Father had a lot of drafting tools he would let me use. He made me stamping inks from his bottles of India ink. I remember how beautifully they stamped. Stamps were a bajillion dollars back then too so I didn't have many.

I love to blog read before I go to bed. I have been reading blogs from India quite a bit, especially last year. Of couse, in all my brilliancy, I managed to lose these blogs during my cyber organization this year too. I am so mad at myself. A lot of the women use India Ink to stamp with since stamping supplies are so hard to come by in that country.

I have discovered this blog from a woman in UAE. She uses India ink to stamp with on her quilts.

Here's her project: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-BGU_AnqDHd.../s1600/028.JPG

This is her entry about it: Moon Goddess: INCREDIBLE INDIA August Journal Block

I have been reading that a few of the manga artists are using India inks with their Copics. The info on what they are using is very vague. I am so frustrated about that. I want the ink they are using.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:15 AM   #137
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by phyllis610 View Post
I just showed a friend how to use the watercolor pencils and she fell in love with the technique. She had been using Copics and remarked she liked this better. Always fun to share a technique with a friend,
You saved her a billion dollars too. Oh Copic users I am teasing so no letters! ROFL! I color in Copics too. I like the price of color pencils better.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:00 AM   #138
Crimping Master

[QUOTE=lylacfey;19123141]I might have to order it online. I really didn't like Michael's selection the last time I was in.

I noticed that Michaels was putting the India ink in the locked cabinet; so you might want to check if it is hidden away in your store.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:50 PM   #139
Crimping Master

Why in the world would someone want to steal India INK LOL...
Old 01-26-2012, 02:19 PM   #140
Crimping Master

Locking down India Ink! That amazed me too. I believe the sales person said it had to do with people using it to self-tattoo. Maybe somebody else can correct me.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:33 PM   #141
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyRoseStamper View Post
I noticed that Michaels was putting the India ink in the locked cabinet; so you might want to check if it is hidden away in your store.
Thank you! I forgot to check the case. My Michael's has the cheaper ink out on the shelf.

Your right M's would have to hide it from the self tattoo thieves. I know that's a big problem in my town. I have a friend who does tattoo's and his tools are always getting stolen.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:26 AM   #142
Matboard Maniac

Love this thread. Subscribing
Old 01-27-2012, 10:51 PM   #143
Pearl-ExPert

No India Ink in the cage at Michael's. I did get my Rapidograph pen. OMG I forgot how much I loved this pen. It was like having an old friend come back into your life that doesn't bring drama. The best part of my pen it came with India Ink, ROFL! I got the best of both world's crafting today. I did get to use a 50% coupon too, even better.

I was going to buy some new watercoloring tools but my Michael's I either own it or don't want it. I foresee shopping trips to Ebay.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:48 PM   #144
Crimping Master

I am placing an order for water color paper and some more Inktense pencils..can't wait until they get here..
Old 01-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #145
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
I am placing an order for water color paper and some more Inktense pencils..can't wait until they get here..

I'm new to this watercoloring thing. Well, not necessarily new, but I tried Prismacolors with mineral oil a few times a couple years ago and couldn't get the hang of it. I had trouble with the paper and the 'nubs'. Anyway, upon seeing this thread I'm getting re-enthused about watercoloring. I'm going to try to get some Derwents from ebay. What kind of paper do you use?
Old 01-28-2012, 02:41 PM   #146
Crimping Master

QUOTE=JustBecause;19131252]I'm new to this watercoloring thing. Well, not necessarily new, but I tried Prismacolors with mineral oil a few times a couple years ago and couldn't get the hang of it. I had trouble with the paper and the 'nubs'. Anyway, upon seeing this thread I'm getting re-enthused about watercoloring. I'm going to try to get some Derwents from ebay. What kind of paper do you use?[/QUOTE]

I have never used mineral oil or baby oil..I use OMS, so that may or may not have something to do with your results?
As far as for paper..I use water color paper. You can use heavy weight card stock I think if you don't have a great deal of blending to do..but I usually just grab my water color paper..I tend to do a good bit of layering of colors..

Once you get the hang of pencils they are great. I don't use markers..but am considering buying some from SU as you can "water color" with them.. I am a pencils girl thru and thru..LOL

Last edited by Inkin One; 01-28-2012 at 02:41 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 01-29-2012, 03:46 AM   #147
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBecause View Post
I'm new to this watercoloring thing. Well, not necessarily new, but I tried Prismacolors with mineral oil a few times a couple years ago and couldn't get the hang of it. I had trouble with the paper and the 'nubs'. Anyway, upon seeing this thread I'm getting re-enthused about watercoloring. I'm going to try to get some Derwents from ebay. What kind of paper do you use?
I found this 25% cotton watercolor paper that is smooth enough for stamping and resiliant enoughf for painting. It is a 75 sheet pad of 90# (it seems thicker than a 90# carstock but thin enough to go through your printer) and it is cheap too! I love it for stamping, for painting I use Arches but this is just the thing for stamping!
Old 01-31-2012, 06:40 PM   #148
Matboard Maniac

Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsaymay View Post
I found this 25% cotton watercolor paper that is smooth enough for stamping and resiliant enoughf for painting. It is a 75 sheet pad of 90# (it seems thicker than a 90# carstock but thin enough to go through your printer) and it is cheap too! I love it for stamping, for painting I use Arches but this is just the thing for stamping!
Old 01-31-2012, 06:42 PM   #149
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
QUOTE=JustBecause;19131252]I'm new to this watercoloring thing. Well, not necessarily new, but I tried Prismacolors with mineral oil a few times a couple years ago and couldn't get the hang of it. I had trouble with the paper and the 'nubs'. Anyway, upon seeing this thread I'm getting re-enthused about watercoloring. I'm going to try to get some Derwents from ebay. What kind of paper do you use?

I have never used mineral oil or baby oil..I use OMS, so that may or may not have something to do with your results?
As far as for paper..I use water color paper. You can use heavy weight card stock I think if you don't have a great deal of blending to do..but I usually just grab my water color paper..I tend to do a good bit of layering of colors..

Once you get the hang of pencils they are great. I don't use markers..but am considering buying some from SU as you can "water color" with them.. I am a pencils girl thru and thru..LOL
[/QUOTE]

When I looked at what I had it was the OMS. Oops. I said it wrong. I am looking for Derwents on eBay. Should I get the 24 pack of Derwents Inktense or the 36 pack of Derwent watercolors?
Old 01-31-2012, 06:56 PM   #150
Crimping Master

Inktense are brighter and permanent. If you want subtle colour you have to be very gentle. But if you allow them to dry between colourings you can layer colours without them muddying.

I have 36 Inktense and have toyed with the idea of getting some watercolours to fill out the gaps especially for the skin tones.

From what I can tell Inktense are unique so perhaps if you got them and still wanted to play with some regular water colour pencils, you could get some cheapies (not Faber Castel though - too hard) to play with. You couldn't do it the other way around.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:14 AM   #151
Crimping Master

It really depends on what you are looking for. If you use them for bright, vivid images, then go for the Inktense, then start a small collection of water colors pencils. ( And I must agree with Koffee, DON'T get the Faber Castells. I found some in my painting bag that I must have bought for field work??IDK but I don't like them AT ALL. I let my kids use them LOL)

Now, if you like what has the potential to be softer more subded colors but has the potential to be made vivid and vibrant ( through layering and glazing colors) then you will want to get the water color pencils and start a small collection of the Inktense seperately. They appear to be the same thing, but once you use them they really aren't. Inktense can't be lifted out, or blended once you put them on the paper..but they are wonderful to have. Watercolros can be mixed and blended and lifted...and there are some colors that are permanent but not all.

Personally I say get the one you will use the most, then start buying the others. It is difficult to fill in a water color collection with Inktense.and visa versa..you can't really fill in Inktense with water colors and they are not really the same. IMO. They aren't exactly compatible unless you use some of the deeper inktense to shade and or highlight your water colors..they are too deep and permanent. Equally, IMO, you can't lay water colors over top on Inktense because water colors are essentially transparent..Does that make sense?

Like I said..get what works for your individual coloring style..and once you are good there..then start working on getting the other..Happy coloring!
Old 02-01-2012, 05:18 AM   #152
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsaymay View Post
Thanks Lindsay! Is this paper HP or CP?
Old 02-01-2012, 07:25 AM   #153
Matboard Maniac

Thanks Inkin One and KoffeeKat!
Old 02-01-2012, 11:15 PM   #154
Pearl-ExPert

InkinOne- Thank you for the tips about the Inktense pencils. I keep picking them up, putting them back, over and over again.

I am a soft subtle colorist. I will buy the Inktense individually and see which colors are best for my art work.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:07 AM   #155
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Thanks Lindsay! Is this paper HP or CP?
It is labeled CP but it is much smoother than other CP, I stamp on it! I wouldnt stamp a photorealistic stamp on it but it workds great with line artwork
Old 02-07-2012, 06:19 AM   #156
Crimping Master

HOw is everyone? It is awfully quiet here .....
Old 02-07-2012, 06:20 AM   #157
Matboard Maniac

I just got my set of 36 Derwents last night from ebay. Haven't had a chance to use them yet, but can't wait!!
Old 02-07-2012, 06:46 AM   #158
Crimping Master

YEAH!! I am positive you will enjoy playing with them!
Old 02-07-2012, 06:49 AM   #159
Matboard Maniac

I don't even know where to start first!!! Which image should I color?!?!? I'm so excited to start playing.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:52 AM   #160
Crimping Master

If you aren't familiar with them, watch a couple of videos..that always helps me learn how to use product new to me. Then I would chose a simple line image to practice with..and have fun! You can't learn if you don't mess up LOL. Hence my " hmm maybe I can fix this later pile" .