Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2012, 08:41 AM   #41
Crimping Master

Ohh Sabrina..try a pallet well..you get a good pool of color, then you can keep what you don't use and just reactivate with water if you want to...( I can it recycling )
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-06-2012, 11:44 PM   #42
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkin One View Post
Has anyone tried lightly scrapping off the color into a pallet well and adding water yet? It makes a thicker liquid water color ink type stuff. You can get really deep colors this way..
i was thinking about doing this...
Old 01-06-2012, 11:54 PM   #43
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Has anyone tried lightly scrapping off the color into a pallet well and adding water yet? It makes a thicker liquid water color ink type stuff. You can get really deep colors this way..
I have started doing that. I actually got the idea stalking Lindsay (Frugal Stamper's) blog. ! Yes, Lindsay you have fans, lol. Lindsay saves the shavings to make even more paint. I think that is so brilliant.

A few minutes ago I was reading an article about watercolor pencils. The article said that large boxes of pencils were a good idea over the small boxes.

Do our watercolor artists agree with that?

I am wondering if I have been buying my pencils wrong. I buy small boxes and mix colors. Now, I am questioning myself if this was the wrong idea. Even more so now that Lindsay own 144 Derwent Inktense pencils. Can we say I am jealous. !

My DH does oil painting. He is always telling me to buy a large amount of colors. I kept saying less is more and mix, mix, mix. Have I been doing it all wrong and my DH is right?

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams
Old 01-07-2012, 03:20 AM   #44
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Having more pencils is always better. HA! But then... I have a little pencil fetish.

With any coloring medium, my philosophy is to buy the largest set I can afford... though I've bought some smaller sets in the last year or so, either because I wasn't sure if I would love them or not, or because they were a ridiculously good deal on ebay (like .99 for a set of 12 Inktense). In general it's a better value per pencil to buy sets (but I always check...).

If you hear a voice within you say you cannot paint,
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
Vincent Van Gogh

Old 01-07-2012, 04:00 AM   #45
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Ohh Sabrina..try a pallet well..you get a good pool of color, then you can keep what you don't use and just reactivate with water if you want to...( I can it recycling )
I do that whenever I sharpen my wc crayons or woodles wc pencils because I hate to waste the color!
Old 01-07-2012, 04:15 AM   #46
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylacfey View Post
I have started doing that. I actually got the idea stalking Lindsay (Frugal Stamper's) blog. ! Yes, Lindsay you have fans, lol. Lindsay saves the shavings to make even more paint. I think that is so brilliant.

A few minutes ago I was reading an article about watercolor pencils. The article said that large boxes of pencils were a good idea over the small boxes.

I am wondering if I have been buying my pencils wrong. I buy small boxes and mix colors. Now, I am questioning myself if this was the wrong idea. Even more so now that Lindsay own 144 Derwent Inktense pencils. Can we say I am jealous. !

My DH does oil painting. He is always telling me to buy a large amount of colors. I kept saying less is more and mix, mix, mix. Have I been doing it all wrong and my DH is right?
That is funny because I would suggest using less colors when painting I used to teach oil painting, drawing, and watercolor. I would have my students by a warm and cool version of red, blue and yellow, burnt seinna and titanium white and sap green and you could create just about everything from those colors. Pencils and markers are harder to mix so a variety is great. (You do not want to know how many colored pencils and markers I own)

My advice is learn with a smaller set as you will understand color better then buy a big set for the joy of having all of those colors at your fingertips! Also when using pencils I think it looks better when you use 5 or 6 colors. When you start using 10 or 15 pencils you lose the color harmony and things get muddy. I use the same principal when I paint or use markers too. Oh and I never use black I mix opposite colors to make my shading (someone already mentioned this) but it really does look more natural!

Thanks for the sweet comment about my blog
Old 01-07-2012, 05:44 AM   #47
Crimping Master

Ok..this is a total enabler alert..

Derwent Inktense Blocks - BLICK art materials

Derwent Grate

How COOL is that??
Old 01-07-2012, 06:56 AM   #48
Crimping Master

Quote:

When I taught art in school I only allowed Red, Yellow, Blue, Black and White watercolor "tubs" for each student. We spent quite a bit of time painting with those and expanding our colors wider and wider on the color wheel by mixing. We also did shades of grey/black, painting whole pieces with just that. (White was for highlighting only). The work they turned out was amazing. I always buy the smallest amount of any watercolor medium and have not regretted it---especially when you get a great deal on a set of 12! As you can see, my students performed well with 5 colors. That being said, certain colors are used up faster (yellow, for example goes pretty fast), so having the ability to buy individual colors is a plus, too.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:45 AM   #49
Pearl-ExPert

You girls are the best. This does help me a lot. I buy small sets. I have small sets all over my craft room from different companies, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanne3579 View Post
When I taught art in school I only allowed Red, Yellow, Blue, Black and White watercolor "tubs" for each student. We spent quite a bit of time painting with those and expanding our colors wider and wider on the color wheel by mixing. We also did shades of grey/black, painting whole pieces with just that. (White was for highlighting only). The work they turned out was amazing. I always buy the smallest amount of any watercolor medium and have not regretted it---especially when you get a great deal on a set of 12! As you can see, my students performed well with 5 colors. That being said, certain colors are used up faster (yellow, for example goes pretty fast), so having the ability to buy individual colors is a plus, too.
This is exactly how I learned too in art classes I took. Hence the confusion when I got into stamping. Everyone was buying larger color palettes. I could understand large color palettes if you were just stamping because a stamper would rather stamp than blend colors palettes I noticed professional artists who are also stampers buying large amounts of colors. I was so confused what to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dini View Post
With any coloring medium, my philosophy is to buy the largest set I can afford... though I've bought some smaller sets in the last year or so, either because I wasn't sure if I would love them or not, or because they were a ridiculously good deal on ebay (like .99 for a set of 12 Inktense). In general it's a better value per pencil to buy sets (but I always check...).
I am jealous. ! I do agree buying sets are a lot cheaper. When I was a poor college age girl I bought individual because it was easier on the pocketbook to buy a couple of this or that per week instead of the whole sets. I used to look at all my individual items and think I paid way more than I should have. Most of us fondly remember the poor college days where PrismaColor pencils were more important than food. We bought art tools and ate Ramen noodles and toast until next pay period. !

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsaymay View Post
That is funny because I would suggest using less colors when painting I used to teach oil painting, drawing, and watercolor. I would have my students by a warm and cool version of red, blue and yellow, burnt seinna and titanium white and sap green and you could create just about everything from those colors. Pencils and markers are harder to mix so a variety is great. (You do not want to know how many colored pencils and markers I own)
My DH does use less color when he oil paints. Other art mediums he says more color is better. We are always debating the more or less in our household. My DH is starting to make his own oil paints too. His company actually makes the ingredients he needs so he gets it at a deep discount or even free.

I do know how many markers and pencils you own. I stalked all your videos, lol. I am jealous, lol. I only own a large bookshelf full of different coloring mediums. I would like to expand.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:32 AM   #50
Crimping Master

I think it is a good idea to learn how to blend your own colors but I also think it is easier to do with tubes of paint. I personally am a pencil hoarder ..so the more the better LOL
Old 01-09-2012, 03:40 AM   #51

I guess that's my thought too - a wet medium is easier to mix than dry, especially in the case of watercolors where you can have a dedicated palette to come back to... so I'd be content with less colors in a tube format... but I prefer having a larger number of pencils.

Vincent Van Gogh

Old 01-10-2012, 01:41 AM   #52
Pearl-ExPert

This does help a lot. I will change my way of thinking and buy more color pencils and less wet mediums. I am starting to see the benefit of having a large variety of pencils.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:18 AM   #53
Crimping Master

What's your favortie ink to water color with? I noticed yesterday my favortie Archival black is getting a little faded so I need to order a new one. Is there one that will work equally well with colored pencils and water colors? I love my Archival so I may order it again..it seems to last forever.
I am not a huge fan of embossing my images before painintg. I like to control the paint myself. I love the look of embosing and i use it for certian things I want to achieve..but mostly for my water coloring I don't use it. So I must have a water proof ink...
Old 01-11-2012, 03:13 AM   #54
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
What's your favortie ink to water color with? I noticed yesterday my favortie Archival black is getting a little faded so I need to order a new one. Is there one that will work equally well with colored pencils and water colors? I love my Archival so I may order it again..it seems to last forever.
I am not a huge fan of embossing my images before painintg. I like to control the paint myself. I love the look of embosing and i use it for certian things I want to achieve..but mostly for my water coloring I don't use it. So I must have a water proof ink...
I like Stampin Up basic black, it never runs when you watercolor and it is dye based. The reinker is cheap too so I keep a large pad fresh and juicy at all times! I will warn you that the ink has a bit of a yellow undertone but I never notice it when I stamp and watercolor on the finished project.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:57 AM   #55

I love Versafine Onyx Black and Vintage Sepia.

Vincent Van Gogh

Old 01-11-2012, 05:52 AM   #56
Crimping Master

I have a SU! black and reinker ( from my brief stint as a demo) and I thought it had to be embossed before water coloring. I need to check that out.

Dini I love the Versafine sepia..one of my favs for brownish ink..gives a nice vinate feel and is good for softer inmages too. I will have to check out the black.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:21 AM   #57
Pearl-ExPert

I use Versafine Onyx ink too for watercoloring.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:58 AM   #58
Forum Fanatic

I used Memento Tuxedo Black - I've never had a problem with it when watercolouring.

My gallery is here should you care to look!
Old 01-11-2012, 10:26 AM   #59
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Tickle a Teapotter Coordinator

Another vote for Versafine. I have both the Memento Tuxedo and the Rangers Archival, but for me I find the Versafine to be the blackest. You're right about the Rangers ones lasting forever - I think I'm on my third Versafine, but the only reason I had to get a second Rangers was that somehow I managed to spill a lot of water into it and diluted it to a nice permanent light grey pad.
Of all those I find the Memento to be the least black - I don't know if it's just the particular pad I got. Perhaps not - when I mentioned this to somebody else she said that if they wanted black black and weren't using Copics, Versafine was her choice too.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:54 AM   #60
Rubber Obsessor

I got a tin of the Cretacolor Aqua Monolith Woodless Watercolor Pencils and I really like them.

I am excited to use the shavings for coloring my images. So glad I visit this site!!!
Old 01-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #61
Rubber Obsessor

Also, even the guy at the art store told me that the Prisma Watercolor Pencils are a disappointment. Love their regular colored pencils though.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:48 PM   #62
Mad Swapper

got a chance to play a bit more with my inktense and am getting used to them i think. i hope to get a project complete to put on my blog tomorrow! i am loving them! i have struggled a bit with how quickly they "stain" the paper and can't be blended - but then i began coloring directly on the paper when it was wet and i really like that!

as for ink i have been using ranger archival - mine is a good 3-4 years old and is just now needing some reinking!
Old 01-11-2012, 04:26 PM   #63
Mad Swapper

i posted my latest inktense image

some like it hot
Old 01-11-2012, 06:52 PM   #64
Glitter Queen

Send a message via Yahoo to phyllis610

WOW! This is so great. I always wanted to learn how to watercolor and found stamping my image and then painting it with markers scribbled onto a palatte. I pick up the colors with a #3 brush and paint away. I do stamp with Stazon or an other permanent ink. Now I need to pull out my WC pencils and crayons again and try with them again. Thanks so much EVERYONE for the inspiration. Phyllis Muscolino
Crafting Heaven
Old 01-11-2012, 10:20 PM   #65
Crimping Master

I'm a pencil fan because they take up so little room when I go away. I can take pens and pencils, eraser, sharpener, a few paintbrushes and some paper pads with images in them all in a child's shoe box.

Colour - Inktense pencils, Micador water colour pencils (dirt cheap but surprisingly good), graphite tints and metalics from Mont Marte
Paper - Art Spectrum Draw and Wash
Ink - Stazon Jet black (sometimes white or Versamark if I don't want an outline)
Brushes - The tiniest water colour detail brush up to some lovely wide ones and even some deers' foot shapes. But they need to be soft. The aquapainter didn't work for me.
Touch ups - artline drawing pens
Highlights - white gel pen or acrylic paint
Sparkles - glitter gel pens, acrylic pearlescent medium as a wash or metalic paint washes.

I often mix colours by scribbling onto a saucer then wetting the mark. This works particularly well if you want a tiny spot of a really light colour and don't have a light enough pencil.

Another thing I've come across is, if you think you have too much colour on an image you can rub it back with a soft white eraser before you wet it. After wetting the Inktense, they are ink and not going anywhere.

And you can blend the colours together with your finger, instead of wetting it, if you want a 'pencil' effect on the finished product.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:21 AM   #66
Pearl-ExPert

Cook22- I am not a fan of Memento Tuxedo black either. I think it's great ink and all. I like really black ink when I do an outline. I kind of avoid alcohol base markers because Memento is so light black. I know very silly and some Copic artists are scoffing at me now. I do own a Memento pad.

Cerridwen- Beautiful card. I love her shading. She is the cutest.

Phyllis610- I scribble markers on a palette too and paint with them. I love the effect. It's so pretty.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:44 AM   #67
Hardware Hotshot

Send a message via Skype™ to Donnaml

Cerridwen, beautifully done once again.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:01 AM   #68
Glitter Queen

A long time ago I bought some SU colored pencils which are watercolor pencils even though they don't say it. How do these stack up against some of the others? I am still searching for more watercolor pencils I know I have. Boy, have I found other things I totally forgot I had. LOL
Old 01-12-2012, 07:24 AM   #69
Glitter Queen

Here is a hint that I hope helps at least one person. I make at least 5 Christmas cards each month. That way I have at least 60 to send out by Christmas. Yes, I already have started making some for next year. Since Christmas falls on the 25th I try to have my 5 cards made by then or around then. Put it on your calendar just like an appointment. this way I get to enjoy making my cards instead of rushing and not having fun time making them. Making Christmas cards are my favorite cards to make, can you tell? Phyllis
Crafting Heaven
Old 01-12-2012, 05:25 PM   #70
Glitter Queen

I just found some time to try out my old SU watercolor pencils. They work wonderful but there isn't a flesh tone pencil. Pooh! What's a girl to do??? I tried some of my watercolor crayons and love them also. Thanks ladies for all of your tips and ideas. Phyllis610
Old 01-12-2012, 05:56 PM   #71
Crimping Master

With the Inktense, I use a tan with a little pink through it. Usually I blend something up on a plate then pick it up with the brush. If I want darker colouring for shadows, I blend the colour, pick a little up and move it, then water that down until I get what I want, then use the original spot to do the more intense colouring IYKWIM. It sounds like a bit of fuss, but really is pretty simple and quick.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:40 PM   #72
Glitter Queen

That makes perfect sense. Thanks so much. Or I could just use my Marvy marker for the flesh. I use Rosewood. Phyllis610
Old 01-12-2012, 11:54 PM   #73
Mad Swapper

i was going to suggest tan and a bit of pink too - that's what i do as well...
Old 01-13-2012, 02:35 AM   #74
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Cook22- I am not a fan of Memento Tuxedo black either. I think it's great ink and all. I like really black ink when I do an outline. I kind of avoid alcohol base markers because Memento is so light black. I know very silly and some Copic artists are scoffing at me now. I do own a Memento pad.

Cerridwen- Beautiful card. I love her shading. She is the cutest.

Phyllis610- I scribble markers on a palette too and paint with them. I love the effect. It's so pretty.
Have you tried reinking the pad? I use memento tuxedo black when working with alcohol markers and I find it very black but I keep my inkpads nice and juicy. I had to buy my reinker online (joann.com) because they dd not carry it in stores.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:36 AM   #75
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
I have a SU! black and reinker ( from my brief stint as a demo) and I thought it had to be embossed before water coloring. I need to check that out.

Dini I love the Versafine sepia..one of my favs for brownish ink..gives a nice vinate feel and is good for softer inmages too. I will have to check out the black.
the SU black is waterproof, the others will run if water hits it
Old 01-13-2012, 05:09 AM   #76
Crimping Master

Thanks Lindsay..I will use it then LOL. I know SU black doesn't work well with colored pencils and OMS..I didn't try heat setting it though..maybe I should?
Old 01-13-2012, 07:02 AM   #77
Glitter Queen

As I am cleaning out my craft area for the New Year (boy did it every need it) I came across one of the water brushes. It has a very tight fitting cap so I am thinking I will fill it with water while traveling and put it with my water color pencils just to use as water. I can't imagine getting good results with the brush that is on top. LOL Thanks so much for the tip on the tan and pink pencils and blending them.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:31 PM   #78

I am watercoloring watercoloring watercoloring.......... but nothing I can share yet!!

Vincent Van Gogh

Old 01-13-2012, 04:59 PM   #79
Glitter Queen

Oh, you must be having lots of fun though. You can check out some of my water color cards on Crafting Heaven On the shop cards I cut out the window and water colored the scene showing in the window, on the inside of the cards. All the images are from Art Impressions.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:05 PM   #80
Hardware Hotshot

Send a message via Skype™ to Donnaml

Quote:
Originally Posted by dini View Post
I am watercoloring watercoloring watercoloring.......... but nothing I can share yet!!
Please share when you do get done. I have seen some of your work and it is amazing.
I love this thread if just for checking out all the beautiful work everyone does.