Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2010, 11:40 AM   #1
Cardstock Collector

Default Vinyl letters in Cricuit (out of my element?)

I'm not sure this is the best place for this question, but I trust the wisdom of this board. If you have any pointers if I'm in a drastically wrong place, please let me know.

My in-laws celebrated their 50th anniversary this year, and the kids arranged a surprise photo session. On of the projects I wanted was to give them a framed BW image of the grandkids with a Bible verse. (Mock-up here: URL deleted because this is my first post. I'll repost later tonight.)

My local sign shop worked with me on the layout of the text while we had the print made and matted. I was supposed to pick up the vinyl to be installed at noon on Friday before the big party on Saturday. He called me at 11am to tell me that his equipment was shredding the words -- the smaller lines of text wouldn't transfer correctly in his mock-ups once he started cutting the words.

I have tried to contact a few Etsy vendors just blindly going on keywords "vinyl" and haven't really gotten a response back.

My question is: Is this possible with something like a Cricuit or an Etsy vendor? Is the lack of responses due to it not being a practical project (on the mock up the smaller type is around 30pt while the script font is 120ish)
or am I not used the right words to describe what I'd like to have? I am not a crafty person -- (I come here to get great ideas for school parties but I am not a stamper like my SIL) -- so there's a good chance I don't know the correct thing to ask for. If it's not possible, then we just need to re-mat the project and have a window cut for the text to show through in a caligraphy font. I'm okay moving on but if I could get vinyl to apply on the mat, that's what I really want. I just need to get this project finished and on the wall at my in-laws.

Do you have any advice for me?

Thanks,

Josie
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-19-2010, 12:02 PM   #2
Cardstock Collector

Here's a link to the computer mock-up:
http://bamorgan.com/NGJ/12x12_Layout.pdf

If I am in the wrong place, please be kind in letting me know where
I should ask instead.

Thanks so much!!

J
Old 01-19-2010, 12:47 PM   #3
Pearl-ExPert

Josie....I see no reason you can't cut those letters with your Expression. Of course you would need to have a font cartridge that would come close to the style you want for the letters. I doubt you would get an exact match.

If you're not into doing the work on your own. If you call a sign shop (the kind that makes lettering that people put on their vehicle windows) they can do it for you very easily. If the one sign shop couldn't complete the job for you, call another one.

I think it would be cool to cut your own lettering. You'd be very proud of it then and it would have more meaning since you did it yourself.

Patti
Old 01-19-2010, 02:49 PM   #4
Forum Fanatic

I think the size is the problem-those are very small letters and some of the larger ones are pretty thin in places. I think a printed mat would have been better but it looks like it's too late for that. Not sure what is a good option at this point.

my blog -- my recipes ♥ Victoria's Avon Walk for Breast Cancer site ♥
Old 01-19-2010, 03:13 PM   #5
Kookie Creator

cricu*****m has a messageboard. I bet there might be someone on there who would know. I myself have not gotten brave enough to do it yet, but some of those ladies are as amazing over there as they are here.
Proud Angel #3898
Old 01-20-2010, 03:15 AM   #6
Cardstock Collector

You can cut them on your cricut with vinyl. You may need to change your font though, it is small as others have stated. But if you have the Sure Cuts a Lot software that works with your Cricut, you can use any font on your computer and then you can adjust the shadow on it to make the thinner letters have more substance for an easy cut. You would then need contact paper or transfer paper to transfer them to your frame. It will work, especially if you're not stuck on using the exact font for the smaller lettering.