Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-05-2007, 07:42 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is it true??

Is versamark really just straight out of the bottle glycerin??? I read that here and am all amazement! Feeling a little cheated too if it's true. But is it exactly the same when you work with it? It dries the same, embosses the same, sticky the same, everything?? I see many many saved dollars in my future! Can someone verify this for me? TIA!!
Amanda Allison - TAC angel #3779
Lovin every minute of it!
www.amandaallison.ismyangel.net
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2007, 07:51 AM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

I dont know if it is true, but would certainly be interested to know. I had heard in the past that you can use glycerine instead of embossing fluid. Now that I use Versamark, I never use my old embossing pads anymore. It gives a finer imager. At least, I think it does, unless I've convinced myself it's better. Eileen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2007, 08:01 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Probably reading your blog...instead of actually stamping

Hmmm....very interesting. Where do you get glycerin?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2007, 08:10 AM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

They use it for soap making, so any craft store would carry it. I got a baby food jar of it from my SIL to make stamp cleaner with. Best cleaner ever-
a cup of water, 1/4 tsp dish soap (I use melealuca) and 1/2 tsp glycerin.

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2007, 08:31 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Even Walmart has glycerin- it's in the pharmacy section somewhere- its the same stuff you use to make homemade bubble solution- that's why I want to know if its the same as versamark. I can find glycerin at wally world for about 2 bucks for 12 ounces- versus versamark refill at 4 bucks for 2 ounces? Is there anyone that can confirm they are the same?? anyone?? ... please?... :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2007, 09:00 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Default good bye versamark... hello glycerin!!!

:-D So being the totally impatient person that I am, I decided to try it out- because I do happen to have glycerin in the house, and WOW!!! Just WOW! So I inked up a little craft spot pad with a versamark refill and another with glycerin and did side by side tests-
the glycerin seems a little thinner and not as sticky. After doing a couple of tests to see if it gives the same watermark effect- which it does incidentally- I tried it out with the embossing powder. It dried a little faster than the versamark but still gave me plenty of time to ink up, stamp, toodle around a bit, make a quick cup of coffee and still get a good application from the EP. I then got a big background stamp and inked half with versa and half with glycerin and they look pretty much the same. The glycerin gives an ever so lighter watermark- only noticable in direct comparison. It also was thinner, so it gave a great image over the main solid portion of the image but was a bit thicker than usual on the tiny script in the background. It doesn't look bad at all- it's still clear and everything, but it is darker where there are loops in the letters.
I am totally sold! I've left the lid off of my glycerin pad to see if it thickens up a bit to get an even closer match! How exciting! I love finding things like this! I'm gonna go play some more! I'll try and post a glycerin watermark card in my gallery soon! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2007, 10:28 AM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Holy cow!

Wow! You guys rock! How cool is that? Thanks for the test! Jan

Quote:

Originally Posted by amandaallison12345View Post
:-D So being the totally impatient person that I am, I decided to try it out- because I do happen to have glycerin in the house, and WOW!!! Just WOW! So I inked up a little craft spot pad with a versamark refill and another with glycerin and did side by side tests-
the glycerin seems a little thinner and not as sticky. After doing a couple of tests to see if it gives the same watermark effect- which it does incidentally- I tried it out with the embossing powder. It dried a little faster than the versamark but still gave me plenty of time to ink up, stamp, toodle around a bit, make a quick cup of coffee and still get a good application from the EP. I then got a big background stamp and inked half with versa and half with glycerin and they look pretty much the same. The glycerin gives an ever so lighter watermark- only noticable in direct comparison. It also was thinner, so it gave a great image over the main solid portion of the image but was a bit thicker than usual on the tiny script in the background. It doesn't look bad at all- it's still clear and everything, but it is darker where there are loops in the letters.
I am totally sold! I've left the lid off of my glycerin pad to see if it thickens up a bit to get an even closer match! How exciting! I love finding things like this! I'm gonna go play some more! I'll try and post a glycerin watermark card in my gallery soon! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2007, 10:50 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Wow! This is so fascinating to me. How neat of you to try this for us, Amanda.

Designing for:
Tiddly Inks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2007, 11:11 AM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

Thanks Amanda!!! I have some glycerin but haven't used up my versamark pad yet!

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2007, 11:32 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Default don't throw your versamark yet...

so now a couple hours later the image is continuing to fade... :( however- I AM doing further testing I've got a small pad of glycerin drying out and I also have a little puddle of it in a jar to see if it gets tackier... so I will pass on further updates. The embossed image still looks great though- so it at least works for that. More later!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2007, 12:29 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

Lovin' all the "experiments" you're running! You rock!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2007, 01:37 PM   #12  
Crimping Master

I think that the Versamark pad is made *with* glycerin, but is not just glycerin. That would account for some of the differences you're seeing with using the pure glycerin. I've had my Versamark pad for about four years and it is still not needing to be re-inked, so I don't think it is really that bad of a deal! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2007, 06:36 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

:( I doesn't work after all--- so totally bummed! Not to be daunted I am planning on getting a different brand of glycerin (the one I have now is pretty runny and I do remember it being thicker than this). But the image completely faded- my poor stamped lady lost half her head! The embossing worked just fine and continues to adhere well to the cardstock, but the actual watermark... poof... gone for good :( I will keep trying! I will overcome! lol! Maybe I need to add a drop of ink to help out the color- or cook it a bit... we'll see. I'll repost if I get any firm answers.

Until then the question remains.... what's in versamark anyway!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2007, 06:43 PM   #14  
Crimping Master

I have a versamark pad that I reinked with glycerin and what amandanelson says is true...it does fade. But I do used the pad for embossing...works really great!

I also use the glycerin to make my stamp cleaner with...simple green, water and glycerin. I think the glycerin keeps them conditioned.

come and play the INK IT UP CHALLENGE
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2007, 01:01 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Even Walmart has glycerin- it's in the pharmacy section somewhere- its the same stuff you use to make homemade bubble solution- that's why I want to know if its the same as versamark. I can find glycerin at wally world for about 2 bucks for 12 ounces- versus versamark refill at 4 bucks for 2 ounces? Is there anyone that can confirm they are the same?? anyone?? ... please?... :rolleyes:
please will you share the bubble mixture recipie? my little girl lovessssss bubbles!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2007, 07:34 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default *Gum Arabic Queen* Weighing In...

Quote:

so now a couple hours later the image is continuing to fade... :( however- I AM doing further testing I've got a small pad of glycerin drying out and I also have a little puddle of it in a jar to see if it gets tackier... so I will pass on further updates. The embossed image still looks great though- so it at least works for that. More later!
I suspect that the difference between the straight glycerin and the Versamark *COULD* probably be gum arabic. Gum arabic is a sealing medium, a binder, and a thickening agent. It is available in both liquid and powdered forms. (I personally prefer the liquid. It is more expensive, but it is already mixed to the correct consistency and there is no waiting around all day for it to dissolve correctly. Pretty much goof-proof.)

It is available at nearly any art supply story generally in the same section as odorless mineral spirits, gel medium, art paints, etc. (If you need help finding it, expect that the sales staff will look at you like you're from Mars.) If memory serves, it is a distillate of kelp - most often associated with food as a thickening agent. Its thickening properties are why I'm suggesting it to you as an additive to the glycerin.

If you decide to play with it, use a 40% off coupon...a jar (which will last you a lifetime!) tends to run $10-$12 -- at least here in the Chicago suburbs. But you can also use it to make G.A.S.S. (gum arabic sealing spray.) ~ K
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2007, 08:15 AM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

Thanks for all the info Kaylyn!!!

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes